How-to: Disable the motion-sensing light on Princess (w/pic)

thedawgman

On Sky the light would nail you when you headed for the bathroom at night.  If you were hanging things up in the closet or putting items in the wardrobe it would go off after a few seconds.  Painters tape disabled it, although turning off the bed lights turned it on for about 20 seconds.

Normally we unplug every lamp in our cabin and unscrew the light bulbs in light fixtures that are hard wired in.

Then we unpack a dozen or so candles and set them on various tables/benches all around the room and just light them all up. Gives a much better room ambiance. When we are ready to go to sleep we just blow them out (except for in the bathroom) and they are all ready to be lit the next evening.

Knocked one over once but was able to throw one of our drinks on it to put it out. It just burned a small section of the rug but you could hardly notice. 🙂 

• Haha 8

I used a bandaid to disable it on Sky. I had my toddler in a pack and play in the closet so it was more than a bit inconvenient to have a spot light blasted at her every time we needed to use the bathroom. And a cushion was shoved in front of the bedside table motion light because it would turn the light on every time the ship rocked.

It can't be too much of a health and safety issue because I sailed on P&O Britannia which is also a Royal-class ship and didn't have a motion sensor. I boarded with painters tape just in case!

8 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Normally we unplug every lamp in our cabin and unscrew the light bulbs in light fixtures that are hard wired in.

Then we unpack a dozen or so candles and set them on various tables/benches all around the room and just light them all up. Gives a much better room ambiance. When we are ready to go to sleep we just blow them out (except for in the bathroom) and they are all ready to be lit the next evening.

Knocked one over once but was able to throw one of our drinks on it to put it out. It just burned a small section of the rug but you could hardly notice. 🙂 

I know you’re not serious!!!

Real candles are strictly prohibited on cruise ships due to safety.  A fire hazard.  But, someone reading your post may think you’re serious.

OTOH,  battery op LED candles are a great alternative.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I can see it coming:

"Princess sets the bar in service with its revolutionary security night light for your convenience.  To deactivate this industry exclusive service, there will be a nominal one-time deactivation fee of $14.99 per guest, per voyage. However, the fee is waived for all guests sailing on Princess Plus and Princess Premier packages."

Shhhhhh!!!!!  🤣

• Haha 2

On 9/4/2023 at 1:22 PM, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

My sensor ended up covered with some tissue wrapped around it, held on using my daughters hair band

Didn’t last long because I’m naff at DIY 😂 so the cabin attendant took pity & covered it with a spare luggage tag and tape. The one by the bedside table was also ridiculously sensitive. Not as bright, which was good, but husband just sticking his leg out from under the covers would turn it on. Feet didn’t need to be near the floor. So that got covered with a cushion from the sofa every night.

Problems solved 😊 

Where is this light, is this the one that you activate if you get out of bed?  If so I found it rather useful when we were recently on Sky Princess.

I don't mind the ones on the night stands, although I also had them come on if my feet dangled off the side, but the closet light is too bright. I don't want that bright light getting me fully awake when I get up to use the bathroom. This paper trick is a great idea.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Where is this light, is this the one that you activate if you get out of bed?  If so I found it rather useful when we were recently on Sky Princess.

Hi, yes that’s the one. I think many find that one useful & It’s def not as bright as the one outside the bathroom.

Unfortunately I’m a light sleeper and whenever husbands feet moved outside the covers it turned on. The 3rd time it happened while he was asleep I’d had enough.

Imo it needs to be less sensitive at the least.

I wish there was a way for anyone to deactivate them if they didn’t want it.

• Like 1

I know they say it’s a health & safety issue but I question how safe the light is outside the bathroom when its so bright it blinded me whenever it turned on.

Makes me wonder who tripped on the bathroom step and sued Princess for them to decide this was needed? Or they had accident lawyers wander around ships to help them avoid being sued,  going ‘someone could trip there, and there, and there’ 😂 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RNRcruisers said:

I don't mind the ones on the night stands, although I also had them come on if my feet dangled off the side, but the closet light is too bright. I don't want that bright light getting me fully awake when I get up to use the bathroom. This paper trick is a great idea.

The ones on the night stand weren't so bad, except... It would click on if I even stuck my foot off the edge of the bed a bit. I wound up putting a shoe in front of it to block it. If it only triggered when my feet were near the floor, it would have been useful, though it could have also been a bit dimmer.

5 hours ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Hi, yes that’s the one. I think many find that one useful & It’s def not as bright as the one outside the bathroom.

Unfortunately I’m a light sleeper and whenever husbands feet moved outside the covers it turned on. The 3rd time it happened while he was asleep I’d had enough.

Imo it needs to be less sensitive at the least.

I wish there was a way for anyone to deactivate them if they didn’t want it.

Sounds like you're thinking of the floor lights on the nightstands. The one I blocked with paper was a ceiling light near the bathroom. But you can block the floor light sensor by just putting a shoe in front of it. I found it to be too sensitive, as well.

• Thanks 1

I use painters tape for the light in the closet area and when I need the light, such as locating something on the shelves, I just reach up and give the tape a little tweak and the light comes on.  It doesn't stay on for very long, so sometimes I have to give it another tweak.

Too bad we can't be trusted with a wall switch for when we need light.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The only thing that bothers us about the closet light is the lack of a switch for manual control. I hate it when I'm doing something in that area and the dang light suddenly turns off. Disabling it and not having any light available in that area is a non-starter for us.

The bedside lights, however, are truly annoying. They go off if the ship moves and the blanket moves. I usually just put one of the small bolster type pillows on the floor in front of the night stand and that solves the issue. I do have a supply of painter's tape wrapped around an old Popsicle stick if I decide to actually disable the things.

• Like 3

As mentioned previously, my only issue with the motion sensing light is when I'm accessing the safe sometimes it "times out" before I'm done in there.

For those of us who get up once or twice at night, having all of the safety lighting is a convenience, I can usually fall right back asleep so I have no idea when they automatically turn off.

We sailed Majestic Princess in Alaska from August 26 to September 2nd.  We were in a club class  (Reserve Collection) mini suite and asked our stateroom attendant the second day on board if anything could be done about that light.  He said sure, and covered the sensor with duct tape.  Problem solved!  The other night lights weren’t a real problem.