How-to: Disable the motion-sensing light on Princess (w/pic)

thedawgman

Just back from an Alaska roundtrip out of Seattle on the Royal Princess. Fun was had by all, but… That light. You know the one, the ceiling light near the bathroom that comes on when it detects the slightest bit of motion. I called the service desk and was told (as others here have reported) that’s it’s a safety feature and cannot be turned off. I know that some have said they got the cabin steward to cover it with duct tape, but I didn’t want to ask him override a “safety” device if I could avoid it b/c I didn’t want to put him in a bad spot. So here (pictured) is my solution. I just took a small piece of paper that came with all the other stuff they gave us on day one and secured it around the motion sensor by slipping it into the cracks. Problem solved.

IMG_2628.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Works.  So does a piece of painter tape.

Yeah, good call. We were unprepared since we hadn’t cruised in years (and never with Princess) and I didn’t have any tape with me… So it was either be creative or get (repeatedly) annoyed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There is ONLY one NOT ACCEPTABLE remember...No one should use duck tape.  

I am glad you thought of a creative and none harmful way to disable that most annoying light.  For YEARS, Princess didn't have them.  Safety issue?  As functional as the Medallion Class App.  I'm guessing that the majority of passengers (50.000001%) hate this latest addition.  Any one willing to wager a number?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So I have to ask, how do you get the light to turn on when you want to pick out some clothes hanging in the closet? 🤔

You don't...or remove the paper/tape...or use a flashlight...or turn on the bathroom light.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So I have to ask, how do you get the light to turn on when you want to pick out some clothes hanging in the closet? 🤔

Never really needed to, but I tested it by sticking my finger in the end of the paper “tube” and the light came on. But the bathroom and entryway lights, combined with our iPhone flashlights were plenty.

Edited by thedawgman
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, thedawgman said:

Correct, and you can also stick your finger in the end of the paper “tube” and the light will come on.

I’m vertically challenged.  Once it’s done…that’s it, not OSHA approved. 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, thedawgman said:

Just back from an Alaska roundtrip out of Seattle on the Royal Princess. Fun was had by all, but… That light. You know the one, the ceiling light near the bathroom that comes on when it detects the slightest bit of motion. I called the service desk and was told (as others here have reported) that’s it’s a safety feature and cannot be turned off. I know that some have said they got the cabin steward to cover it with duct tape, but I didn’t want to ask him override a “safety” device if I could avoid it b/c I didn’t want to put him in a bad spot. So here (pictured) is my solution. I just took a small piece of paper that came with all the other stuff they gave us on day one and secured it around the motion sensor by slipping it into the cracks. Problem solved.

IMG_2628.jpeg

Good idea.  We take painters/masking tape. We put a led battery op candle in the bathroom at night.  Plenty of light.

We have used a bandaid when we didn’t have tape available.

Never duct tape, as that could leave a residue.

Another brainy idea from PCL, that we all have to workaround. 🤣

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You don't...or remove the paper/tape...or use a flashlight...or turn on the bathroom light.

Currently on Regal Princess. Disabled the motion censor. Can still switch on the light with the switch by the cabin door. Light still on a timer so it goes off after a short while.

Hey! The best of both worlds.

Cheers…

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Leave bathroom light on, close door so just abit of light shines thru the opening. For the men who get up at night having a light in the bathroom makes the stewards job of cleaning alot easier. To use an old saying stand closer it is shorter than you think.😁😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

My sensor ended up covered with some tissue wrapped around it, held on using my daughters hair band

Didn’t last long because I’m naff at DIY 😂 so the cabin attendant took pity & covered it with a spare luggage tag and tape. The one by the bedside table was also ridiculously sensitive. Not as bright, which was good, but husband just sticking his leg out from under the covers would turn it on. Feet didn’t need to be near the floor. So that got covered with a cushion from the sofa every night.

Problems solved 😊 

• Thanks 3

I can see it coming:

"Princess sets the bar in service with its revolutionary security night light for your convenience.  To deactivate this industry exclusive service, there will be a nominal one-time deactivation fee of $14.99 per guest, per voyage. However, the fee is waived for all guests sailing on Princess Plus and Princess Premier packages."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 24

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

I can see it coming:

"Princess sets the bar in service with its revolutionary security night light for your convenience.  To deactivate this industry exclusive service, there will be a nominal one-time deactivation fee of $14.99 per guest, per voyage. However, the fee is waived for all guests sailing on Princess Plus and Princess Premier packages."

I'll bet that they discussed many crazy ideas to include in their Plus packages before settling on what they have today. 

Nothing would shock me to see anything like that in the future. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I'll bet that they discussed many crazy ideas to include in their Plus packages before settling on what they have today. 

Nothing would shock me to see anything like that in the future. 

I posted somewhere else that we realize that the cruise line's job is to squeeze every bit of revenue they can from every square foot of space* and every passenger.  Our job is to squeeze every bit of travel and enjoyment we can out of every cruise dollar.  I take that job very seriously.

*Ever wonder why promenades have disappeared from new ships?  Could it be that a promenade doesn't produce any revenue?

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I posted somewhere else that we realize that the cruise line's job is to squeeze every bit of revenue they can from every square foot of space* and every passenger.  Our job is to squeeze every bit of travel and enjoyment we can out of every cruise dollar.  I take that job very seriously.

*Ever wonder why promenades have disappeared from new ships?  Could it be that a promenade doesn't produce any revenue?

Yep, unless….they could squeeze in some casual dining venues out there!  🤣  $14.99 and up! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

Does Norwegian have some specialty restaurants outside on the open deck? 

IDK. Don’t do NCL. PCL seems to be more competitive with X and RCI, as far as followers.  IMO

BTW, X has the Magic Carpet outdoor seating on the Edge.

Edited by PacnGoNow

21 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yep, unless….they could squeeze in some casual dining venues out there!  🤣  $14.99 and up! 

Or They could allow access to it using your medallion. ‘Nominal fee’ of 14.99 for cruise length access. available at no extra charge for Premier, and two accesses per cruise for Plus package holders.

But only if you have the latest package, of course (sorry, couldn’t resist) 😂 

• Haha 3