What Hotels are Crystal recommending or staying in precruise Reykjavik

SnoBirdCruiser

Pat, I know that old Crystal for Endeavor used Hotel Borg. We stayed there post cruise booking it on our own. Hotel is in a good downtown location.

I am not sure if new Crystal is using this hotel but I would think there is high probability they are.

Keith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnoBirdCruiser said:

Looking into a possible Reykjavik cruise and we are interested in what hotels anyone have stayed pr-cruise.

Reykjavik Konsulat Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/rekcuqq-reykjavik-konsulat-hotel/

If the ship is docked in the old port downtown, this hotel is a 5-10 minute walk from the pier.

It is also immediately adjacent to the most famous hot dog stand in Iceland, Baejarins Beztu Pylsur!

Rob

• Like 1

We stayed one night at the Hotel Borg in May and it was nice. We looked into other hotels when we were there and are staying at the Hilton Iceland Parliament hotel for one night before we board Serenity later this week. Friends sailing Explora 1 are staying at the Saga Hotel. The Radisson Blu has a very nice restaurant/bar. Everything in Downtown Reykjavik is only about a five minute walk from everywhere else! One thing to keep in mind is that,at least last May, none of the hotel restaurants/bars are open for dinner on Monday or Tuesday. 

• Like 2

We enjoyed the chef's tasting menu here. The absolute freshest seafood imaginable!

Less than 5 minute walk from any downtown hotel.

(Click the "EN" translation button or the British flag icon in the upper right of the websites for the English translation.)

https://www.fiskmarkadurinn.is/matsedill

https://www.fiskmarkadurinn.is/

Rob

Edited by ryndam
added info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Reykjavik Edition gets very good reviews, has a nice rooftop bar, and is within a very easy walk to the Harpa Concert Hall, which is the starting point for the hop-on hop-off bus.

The bus is a great way to explore Reykjavik on your own, as it stops right in front of pretty much all of the city's major sites.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ryndam said:

Reykjavik Konsulat Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/rekcuqq-reykjavik-konsulat-hotel/

If the ship is docked in the old port downtown, this hotel is a 5-10 minute walk from the pier.

It is also immediately adjacent to the most famous hot dog stand in Iceland, Baejarins Beztu Pylsur!

Rob

It's funny. We had a hot dog there just because. Mind you. that is a rarity for me. I don't think we've had a hot dog out in years. For me I remember the days of Nathan's Hot Dogs (not the ones you buy but at a Nathan's) which was about two miles from our home growing up (sadly closed) which to me was much better than this one.  But, we can say we checked this off our list if we ever had a list for hot dogs which we don't.

Now Pizza. That is another story but Iceland isn't a place we'll be having pizza out.  

Keith

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

It's funny. We had a hot dog there just because. Mind you. that is a rarity for me. I don't think we've had a hot dog out in years. For me I remember the days of Nathan's Hot Dogs (not the ones you buy but at a Nathan's) which was about two miles from our home growing up (sadly closed) which to me was much better than this one.  But, we can say we checked this off our list if we ever had a list for hot dogs which we don't.

Now Pizza. That is another story but Iceland isn't a place we'll be having pizza out.  

Keith

It was Bill Clinton's favorite.  Can't agree with Bill as also grew up near Nathans.  Presume you mean Oceanside is the closed one???   Still like a dirty water dog occasionally which these sort of reminded me.

We did try the Pizza (across from the Radisson) and it was acceptable (not good but acceptable).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

It was Bill Clinton's favorite.  Can't agree with Bill as also grew up near Nathans.  Presume you mean Oceanside is the closed one???   Still like a dirty water dog occasionally which these sort of reminded me.

We did try the Pizza (across from the Radisson) and it was acceptable (not good but acceptable).

Back in my day we had one in the town next to Jericho which was in Hicksville. I never saw so many hot dogs cooking at once. French Fries were good too.  Yes back then I ate them as well. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

It was Bill Clinton's favorite. 

But Bill had it with mustard only, which is considered all wrong by the locals, one is advised to have it with the works (raw onions, fried onions, special ketchup made with apples, lightly spiced mustard, and remoulade.)

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Overrated but we can say we had it.

But.....did you have it with the works?

We had it and it received a split decision.  I had it with everything and loved it.  DW left off the raw onions and remoulade.  It had somewhat of a smokey flavor which I enjoy, but DW, not so much.

image.jpeg.b19f8202a88df7b67004fc71528b1922.jpeg

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, boblerm said:

But.....did you have it with the works?

We had it and it received a split decision.  I had it with everything and loved it.  DW left off the raw onions and remoulade.  It had somewhat of a smokey flavor which I enjoy, but DW, not so much.

image.jpeg.b19f8202a88df7b67004fc71528b1922.jpeg

Bob,

I had it with the works. Anne Mare didn't.

For us it didn't compare to hot dogs from our birth state where all we needed was mustard, sauerkraut and sometimes relish. 

Glad we had it though.

Keith

• Like 4

Now for the best bargain in Hot Dogs...Costco.  Copied the Hebrew National All Beef/Kosher Recipe.

$1.50 with a soft drink.

We stayed at the Hotel Borg post cruise.  Lovely hotel and excellent service.  I was given a virus with a fever onboard Serenity (not covid - before Covid) and sadly - they do not have room service so my husband had to go and order food to go for 3 days.  The hotel had a very Scandinavian/minimalist feel but the room was well appointed.  I would stay again

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Bob,

I had it with the works. Anne Mare didn't.

For us it didn't compare to hot dogs from our birth state where all we needed was mustard, sauerkraut and sometimes relish. 

Glad we had it though.

Keith

As at Nathans

• Like 3

I want to thank everyone who responded to my request. Now all I have to do is check the  vacancies.

I love the way it went from hotels to hot dogs to pizzas....keep it up as it has become a fun read .

I must agree with ChatKat in Ca. I love those hot dogs at Costco.

I only put yellow mustard and Ketchup on my hot dog.

If you are ever in Toronto in the summer, the street hot dogs are very good as well.

Talking about favourite foods, Carpaccio as we know it today was invented in the 1950s by a restauranteur in Venice named Giuseppe Cipriani. At his restaurant, Harry's Bar, Cipriani created carpaccio of beef for the Countess Amalia Nani Mocenigo, whose doctor recommended she avoid cooked meats. Therefore i suggest that Crystal put it back on the menu in Osteria d'Ovidio.

I have never been in Harry's Bar but I can highly recommend the Restaurant, next door at the:

Hotel Monaco & Grand Canal Restaurant. We spent 3 hours there one Sunday afternoon ...we ordered

Fritto di Pesce Grand Canal
con Salsa Tartara and a bottle (or two)of wine

Here is the menu:

https://www.hotelmonaco.it/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/cartaMENU-ESTIVA.pdf

veduta-della-chiesa-della.jpg

We have had three memorable meals so far,:this was number 1.

Number Two Dinner: on the lawn at the Royal Livingstone Victoria Falls Zambia.

https://www.anantara.com/en/royal-livingstone/restaurants/dining-by-design

Number three: an afternoon on Mount Lemon ,Tucson, Arizona on Bread, cheese and wine

Maybe we should start a new  forum on memorable meals we have had over the years in places we have travelled.

What do you think?

• Like 6

You people just don't know how to make a hot dog - a chili cheese dog in the only proper way to eat one in Texas. It's yellow mustard (preferably French's), chili (preferably Wolf Brand Chili), chopped onion and grated cheddar cheese. From my youth it was Hormel all beef hot dogs and Mrs. Baird's hot dog bun. Those last 2 items can be substituted since the other ingredients tend to cover up the flavor of the bread and wieners!🤪

Patty

P.S. On reflection, I believe the wieners were Oscar Meyer all beef.

Edited by Texas Tillie
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

I worked at Coney Island Nathan's during summer college break.  And yes it was a mass production and we were grade as to how quick we could serve a dog.

How did you do, Paul?

I remember the place as a madhouse. Was that your impression, too, from the other side of the counter?