Crystal Unveils 2025 Itineraries

Keith1010

9 hours ago, travelberlin said:

We get off topic even in the Bistro-off topic and fun posts 😂 take it easy…

Ivi

Bistro is about getting off topic. Pretty much everything goes. 

I am relaxed but this thread is about 2025 itineraries not about Explora Journey which a better place for that discussion is on the Explora Journey Board unless people are asking for a comparison between EJ and Crystal and in that case just take the time to start a new thread IMHO.  I have read the Explora Journey Board so those who are interested in that cruise line or any cruise line just have to go to the board they are interested in. 

I do know before someone slams me that I have taken threads off topic usually after someone has done that but in general try to start new threads wherever possible.

Keith

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I do know before someone slams me that I have taken threads off topic usually after someone has done that but in general try to start new threads wherever possible.

If questions get asked then expect them to be answered 

If incorrect statements are made expect them to corrected 

Going off topic is the norm these days and unless deliberately done to distract then it appears that is accepted by those who actually control these forums 

• Like 4

As I have gone through the 2025 itineraries I see some ports of embarkation/debarkation that seem new or if not new I haven't seen them in many years.

One jumped out to me is Liverpool.  The upside for people like myself it opens up more time to explore the city than one gets to do with one day stop. The only challenge is flying in and out of the city but there are some option although limited and the train between London and Liverpool is an option.

Other places which seem to be new for starting and ending a cruise are Jeddah and Doha, Tarragona, Genoa and Cartagena and a couple of more. Does anyone remember a Crystal Cruise starting or ending in any of these ports?

It will be interesting to see what A&K pre and post land programs might be offered.

Keith

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

One jumped out to me is Liverpool.  The upside for people like myself it opens up more time to explore the city than one gets to do with one day stop. The only challenge is flying in and out of the city but there are some option although limited and the train between London and Liverpool is an option.

I hate to say this, but one thing that so many people do not do is look at a map.  Just automatically think of the city mentioned.  Liverpool Airport is dominated by budget airlines, so there is limited intercontinental connectivity.  But just down the road (about 35 miles from the waterfront) is Manchester Airport, which is the largest UK airport outside London.  Many intercontinental flights from major carriers.

That 35 miles is approaching the distance from DFW to downtown Dallas, or DEN to downtown Denver, and is definitely dwarfed by the distance from Heathrow to either Southampton or Dover.  So Liverpool is not really a challenge, unless you just automatically want to fly to "Liverpool".  (Or have a travel agent that is merely an order processor.  😀)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

I hate to say this, but one thing that so many people do not do is look at a map.  Just automatically think of the city mentioned.  Liverpool Airport is dominated by budget airlines, so there is limited intercontinental connectivity.  But just down the road (about 35 miles from the waterfront) is Manchester Airport, which is the largest UK airport outside London.  Many intercontinental flights from major carriers.

That 35 miles is approaching the distance from DFW to downtown Dallas, or DEN to downtown Denver, and is definitely dwarfed by the distance from Heathrow to either Southampton or Dover.  So Liverpool is not really a challenge, unless you just automatically want to fly to "Liverpool".  (Or have a travel agent that is merely an order processor.  😀)

Thank you.  This one is a couple of years out so was just looking at options. I have to say I didn't pick up on Manchester location. I had done a google search about alternativeairports and it mentioned Manchester but not distance and then I looked a map and couldn't even find it. I know.Look harder. 

Definitely closer to when we lived in North Texas to DFW and from where we lived in Bay Area to SFO and even where we live today to the airport.

Now I will look at Manchester.

Keith

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Bistro is about getting off topic. Pretty much everything goes. 

I am relaxed but this thread is about 2025 itineraries not about Explora Journey which a better place for that discussion is on the Explora Journey Board unless people are asking for a comparison between EJ and Crystal and in that case just take the time to start a new thread IMHO.  I have read the Explora Journey Board so those who are interested in that cruise line or any cruise line just have to go to the board they are interested in. 

Keith

Keith, 

The thread “Bistro- off topic and fun posts” was supposed to be “off topic”. At the moment it was created the “topic” was Crystal. This means that “off topic” should have been whatever it was fun and not Crystal related. However there are innumerable number of posts with pictures which only talk about Crystal on that Forum. For me those posts are “off topic” of the intended thread.

Now in relation to mentioning other cruise lines and the experiences with other cruise lines in the Crystal Forum, apparently for some posters, who might not even consider other cruise line besides Crystal, it might no be relevant to hear about other cruise lines. But for other posters , specially those who have looked for alternatives to Crystal after the bankruptcy, experiences with other cruise lines trying to replace Crystal are very relevant.

I am very thankful when some one describes its experience positive and negative with other cruise lines, because it reaffirms me that I am doing a good choice by booking with the New Crystal. And no, I do not want to go to other specific forums to find that information. I do not have the time for it and I only go to other forums when I am ready to book with that cruiseline. 

For example, my experience with Explora has made me book three Cruises with Crystal instead of Explora. I have told this on an earlier post in this thread and given the reasons of my disappointment with Explora. I find that information relevant for other Crystal guests and for Crystal management itself (good to know where the competition is disappointing). I find also relevant to learn that other people are making other experiences. Healthy, interesting exchange of opinions.

It is very tiring to hear over and over again, to just post about Crystal. And even then, if someone allows himself some negative comments, a certain number of people jump and start minimizing whatever could be considered negative, telling their experiences were always wonderful and finally to move over. Mistakes on the forums of the Old Crystal are being committed again on this new forum. Same people, same mistakes. I guess we will just have to be patient and take it easy.

Ivi

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

Thank you.  This one is a couple of years out so was just looking at options. I have to say I didn't pick up on Manchester location. I had done a google search about alternative airports and it mentioned Manchester but not distance and then I looked a map and couldn't even find it. I know.Look harder.

And as a general offer - if anyone needs help on air travel considerations, PLEASE feel free to post your questions, either in the particular cruiseline forum or in the Cruise Air forum here on CC.  Alternative airports and routings are a bit of my specialty, and I love sharing the tips.  One big one that I often remind folks of is when flying in/out of Dubai.  One can often save thousands of dollars by using Abu Dhabi rather than DXB for flights.  It's a bit over an hour away, and you can get a Mercedes sedan or van taxi to take you and your luggage for under $80.  When you can often save over $2k per business class ticket, that's a no-brainer in my book.  An extra hour of travel time for thousands in the bank.  I have lots of ways to use those funds rather than giving them to an airline.

Same with cruises that have been moved from Venice to outlying areas.  Ravenna is better served from Bologna rather than Venice airport.   Tokyo flights can have significant savings into Narita, along with much better FF award availability.  And Glasgow and Edinburgh are almost interchangable, with savings and schedules giving either an advantage on any particular day.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

As I have gone through the 2025 itineraries I see some ports of embarkation/debarkation that seem new or if not new I haven't seen them in many years.

Other places which seem to be new for starting and ending a cruise are Jeddah and Doha, Tarragona, Genoa and Cartagena and a couple of more. Does anyone remember a Crystal Cruise starting or ending in any of these ports?

It will be interesting to see what A&K pre and post land programs might be offered.

Keith

I say NO to Jeddah !! no way  with all my medication I must   carry - it is not just the licor !

Tarragona : probably no space in Barcelona as there is no int airport ,  Genoa is a nightmare to reach even for Europeans ( i had 2 departures in the 90s on old Vistafjord )

Liverpool  : best airport for it is Manchester 

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

And as a general offer - if anyone needs help on air travel considerations, PLEASE feel free to post your questions, either in the particular cruiseline forum or in the Cruise Air forum here on CC.  Alternative airports and routings are a bit of my specialty, and I love sharing the tips.  One big one that I often remind folks of is when flying in/out of Dubai.  One can often save thousands of dollars by using Abu Dhabi rather than DXB for flights.  It's a bit over an hour away, and you can get a Mercedes sedan or van taxi to take you and your luggage for under $80.  When you can often save over $2k per business class ticket, that's a no-brainer in my book.  An extra hour of travel time for thousands in the bank.  I have lots of ways to use those funds rather than giving them to an airline.

Same with cruises that have been moved from Venice to outlying areas.  Ravenna is better served from Bologna rather than Venice airport.   Tokyo flights can have significant savings into Narita, along with much better FF award availability.  And Glasgow and Edinburgh are almost interchangable, with savings and schedules giving either an advantage on any particular day.

I am flying Qatar business in januari 2024  instead of Emirates : nearly 40 % cheaper 

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Ashame C is not going to Trieste  instead of Fusina , was a nightmare for me despite the assistance by Hapag Lloyd people !

Jeddah -- yuck.  I remember my first flight into Jeddah in the 70's  and the immigration issues.

I know the Kingdom is trying to expand tourism along the red sea with new ports and cities but who is Crystal trying to attract to these Dubai - Jeddah - Doha cruises -- rich Russians that are sanctioned from going other places.

Anyone of you interested in booking....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

No.

It will be interesting to see how they sell.  Maybe as combined cruises.  But that is where it will be interesting if there are pre and post A&K programs. In my case, a one day visit to that country is one day more than I would need. Glad I went thought. One day confirmed some things to me and that is part of discovery.

Keith

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Thank you for the reminder.

I am a believer that there is always something new to be learned and Manchester was something new for me.  Thank you for taking the time to explain this.

Keith

11 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Jeddah -- yuck.  I remember my first flight into Jeddah in the 70's  and the immigration issues.

I know the Kingdom is trying to expand tourism along the red sea with new ports and cities but who is Crystal trying to attract to these Dubai - Jeddah - Doha cruises -- rich Russians that are sanctioned from going other places.

yes they were on MSC World Europe in January   -  not fun !

howver the rab out op the mediocre Heidsick Monopole and were obliged to substitute by Taittinger in the Yacht club.

• Haha 2

On 9/19/2023 at 1:20 PM, vistaman said:

I say NO to Jeddah !! no way  with all my medication I must   carry - it is not just the licor !

Tarragona : probably no space in Barcelona as there is no int airport ,  Genoa is a nightmare to reach even for Europeans ( i had 2 departures in the 90s on old Vistafjord )

Liverpool  : best airport for it is Manchester 

Re:Genoa Vistafjord …any chance it was a 1995 departure ending in Athens????

On 9/19/2023 at 8:19 PM, PaulMCO said:

Paul

jeddah is stop on my ss Mumbai to Athens cruise. I even found a fabulous private guide — wasn’t easy. I’m just happy to find a port I haven’t been to!!

1 hour ago, bitob said:

Paul

jeddah is stop on my ss Mumbai to Athens cruise. I even found a fabulous private guide — wasn’t easy. I’m just happy to find a port I haven’t been to!!

I hope the government has relaxed the "dress code" for female tourists! In 2010, all the women had to wear an abaya (sp?) and there was much stressing over how much hair could be allowed to show! In the end, the immigration officers just stamped the passports and moved the line along almost without looking.

Best line of the port stop goes to the barkeep in The Cove; "All these people in dark robes going back and forth, I thought I was working in a monastery!" 

• Haha 3

And back in 2010 we had to take their tour and the women had to go through a special line to return to the ship and were frisked. 

But I am the first to say discovery is key to travel so always best for each person to see it through their own eyes and make their own judgements.

Keith 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bitob said:

Paul

You should buy an Abaya and wear it.  The law has changed and since 2019 it is no longer a requirement to wear one.  But as a Westerner you will stand out. As a Westerner without an Abaya you will stand out even more. 

Jeddah is a more relaxed city than the capitol Riyadh, but there are still very conservative elements within the city.

Alot of good things are happening under Prince MBS.  But alot of crazy projects like the new city/region of Neom,

• Like 1