Reserve Dining

suzyed

39 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

The Reserve Collection Mini-Suite FAQ are very clear. Look at the answer to question number 5.

If everyone in Reserve Collection could invite friends, they would need twice as much space.

Thank you for the confirmation. That’s what I thought and I appreciate the link to the FAQ. Shoulda done a bit more research before posting my question.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doyleb said:

A slightly off topic question but related.  If one of the couples traveling with us is not ‘Club Class’, but we are, will they be allowed to sit in the Reserve section with us?  I’m thinking no, but wanted to check.  Thanks ! 

No. I tell my friends if you want to have dinner with us you will need to be reserve. It is the best dining experience at sea in my opinion. Much better service than specialty restaurants 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2023 at 8:09 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

Availability depends on the voyage.  I was shocked that the Diamond in Japan didn't start getting passengers until well after 6:30.  It was empty.  Most of my cruises have been with "early" diners.  

Can't speak for Europe.

The general patterns seem to follow:

1.  Doors open between 4:45 and 5 PM for dinner.

2.  The "first wave" takes anywhere from 60 - 90 minutes.  If you "miss" the first seating, there may be a short wait if you come between 6 and 6:30.  

3.  There are "invisible" walls that separate the MDR from Reserved Dining; meaning, if more tables are needed they just replace the table cloths and it magically becomes Reserved Dining.  

4.  Unless you really require front row of window tables, you can just walk in at any time.  They have no hesitations to place a couple at a table for 4.

5.  If you have to leave for an event, you can always return for coffee and desert after it.  Last seating is by 8:30 - 9 PM.

6.  Most Reserved Dining rooms are on Deck 6.  All that I have been in have been Starboard.  I have heard of a few others being port.

Generally in Europe people eat later.  Before 6 p.m. is children’s tea time!   Seriously, that’s too soon after lunch for me.  I don’t want to be putting my glad rags on at 5 pm, that’s still afternoon.  The last princess cruise from Southampton we were on, restaurant was busy from 7 pm till 9pm.  We went usually at 7.30 and never had to wait.  Yes we’ve seen them “adjust” the reserve area to provide a table.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lady Meer said:

On Caribbean Princess for 15 days last year we were a party of 4 in Club (Reserve). As most tables were set for 2 we seemed a challenge to the maitre d’. On 3 or 4 occasions we were asked to wait in the nearest bar and he fetched us when a table was free - 10 minutes at the most. We were ok with this. I think it was made more challenging for the staff as there was a large table permanently set for a family of 9. I will add that this was very rarely used by the whole group - just 4 or 6, or none, on most evenings. They did all appear on one formal night with the men in shorts and baseball caps - for which I make no comment! 

suzyed - I’m sure you’ll enjoy Reserve, we certainly do.

We were four on Regal last year and first night they had to put two two’s together for us, after that there was always a four waiting.  It made dining so pleasurable.  We are queue haters!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, teenieleek said:

We were four on Regal last year and first night they had to put two two’s together for us, after that there was always a four waiting.  It made dining so pleasurable.  We are queue haters!

Predictive text put the apostrophe in.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lady Meer said:

On Caribbean Princess for 15 days last year we were a party of 4 in Club (Reserve). As most tables were set for 2 we seemed a challenge to the maitre d’. On 3 or 4 occasions we were asked to wait in the nearest bar and he fetched us when a table was free - 10 minutes at the most. We were ok with this. I think it was made more challenging for the staff as there was a large table permanently set for a family of 9. I will add that this was very rarely used by the whole group - just 4 or 6, or none, on most evenings. They did all appear on one formal night with the men in shorts and baseball caps - for which I make no comment! 

suzyed - I’m sure you’ll enjoy Reserve, we certainly do.

42 minutes ago, teenieleek said:

We had a family group of eight (four brothers and our wives) on the Caribbean Princess around the British Isles in 2017. Club Class had a table for eight always available for us and not used by anyone else, so we could arrive at any time with no waiting. I don't think reserving this table affected other people's wait, since they could adjust the size of Club Class as needed. This made our cruise very enjoyable. With the removal of traditional dining, it is difficult to coordinate reservations for a party of eight to eat together in the MDR.

We have a family group of ten (same four brothers and a first cousin and our wives) booked on the Grand Princess to Alaska next year. We're looking forward to a table for ten in Reserve Dining. I expect the ship to accommodate us, and I would expect them to adjust the size of the Reserve Dining section to accommodate everyone else also.

They also pushed some tables together to give us a table for eight in Sabatini's for breakfast. This was not there every morning but they took care of us when we were all there. This did not interfere with other passengers, since most passengers prefer the tables closer to the windows. The ones that they could push together were away from the windows. I don't know whether or not they will be able to give us a table for ten in Sabatini's for breakfast next year, but we'll see.

• Like 1

We had booked a Reserve Class mini suite for our recent cruise on Royal so we had a larger balcony and more space with DD. It turned out the best thing was dining. It was so pleasant to be greeted with a smile and right to a window table every meal. All the servers asked every breakfast where our DD was (still sleeping). My DH now wants to book Reserve Class every Princess cruise and wishes Celebrity had a similar choice. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NavyVeteran said:

We had a family group of eight (four brothers and our wives) on the Caribbean Princess around the British Isles in 2017. Club Class had a table for eight always available for us and not used by anyone else, so we could arrive at any time with no waiting. I don't think reserving this table affected other people's wait, since they could adjust the size of Club Class as needed. This made our cruise very enjoyable. With the removal of traditional dining, it is difficult to coordinate reservations for a party of eight to eat together in the MDR.

We have a family group of ten (same four brothers and a first cousin and our wives) booked on the Grand Princess to Alaska next year. We're looking forward to a table for ten in Reserve Dining. I expect the ship to accommodate us, and I would expect them to adjust the size of the Reserve Dining section to accommodate everyone else also.

They also pushed some tables together to give us a table for eight in Sabatini's for breakfast. This was not there every morning but they took care of us when we were all there. This did not interfere with other passengers, since most passengers prefer the tables closer to the windows. The ones that they could push together were away from the windows. I don't know whether or not they will be able to give us a table for ten in Sabatini's for breakfast next year, but we'll see.

Any relationship to @NavyVeteran?

18 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Cancel those reservations - they are for the MDR and not the Reserve section which has no reservations.

I already did!  That's what was throwing me off....poof!  They're gone!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Have a great trip!  Maybe we’ll see you on the next one. Say a prayer in Fatima from us.

Thank you!  I will say a prayer in Fatima as I am filling my Holy Water bottles for friends and family.
Hope to sail with you again!

• Like 2

On 9/7/2023 at 11:09 PM, suzyed said:

Never used the Reserve Dining before....Can you or do you have to pick a time to dine or do you just show up whenever?

Just show up when you like(during posted dining times)The 6:30-7:30 times usually get quite busy. The new Sun will have it's own dedicated Reserve rest. Same goes for the suites.Hoipefully the food will be better than the main MDR's. Last time it really wasn't better in Club Class.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

I miss the days of cruising where this kind of service was standard for everyone without an upcharge. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DrSea said:

I miss the days of cruising where this kind of service was standard for everyone without an upcharge. 

So do I.

We had a family cruise on the Coral Princess through the Panama Canal in 2003 with a family group of thirteen. We had traditional dining with two adjacent tables (table of eight and table of six) with the same waiter and assistant waiter for both tables. We switched between the two tables each evening. Service was great. Dinner time was the one time during the day when the entire family group was together.

I believe it would be difficult to get the same kind of service today on Princess without using Reserve Dining. It might be possible on some ships, but you would have to work to get it arranged. Back then, we had to do nothing. We all requested early traditional dining, and we had all of the bookings linked. Everything else was automatic.

23 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

So do I.

We had a family cruise on the Coral Princess through the Panama Canal in 2003 with a family group of thirteen. We had traditional dining with two adjacent tables (table of eight and table of six) with the same waiter and assistant waiter for both tables. We switched between the two tables each evening. Service was great. Dinner time was the one time during the day when the entire family group was together.

I believe it would be difficult to get the same kind of service today on Princess without using Reserve Dining. It might be possible on some ships, but you would have to work to get it arranged. Back then, we had to do nothing. We all requested early traditional dining, and we had all of the bookings linked. Everything else was automatic.

You will still be able to do this, but do agree it takes a bit more effort.