Reserve Dining

suzyed

21 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Never used the Reserve Dining before....Can you or do you have to pick a time to dine or do you just show up whenever?

I am gobsmacked that a regular like you on Princess Forum doesn't know how Reserve (a.k.a. Club) Class dining works.  There are no reservations - it's walk-up.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Availability depends on the voyage.  I was shocked that the Diamond in Japan didn't start getting passengers until well after 6:30.  It was empty.  Most of my cruises have been with "early" diners.  

Can't speak for Europe.

The general patterns seem to follow:

1.  Doors open between 4:45 and 5 PM for dinner.

2.  The "first wave" takes anywhere from 60 - 90 minutes.  If you "miss" the first seating, there may be a short wait if you come between 6 and 6:30.  

3.  There are "invisible" walls that separate the MDR from Reserved Dining; meaning, if more tables are needed they just replace the table cloths and it magically becomes Reserved Dining.  

4.  Unless you really require front row of window tables, you can just walk in at any time.  They have no hesitations to place a couple at a table for 4.

5.  If you have to leave for an event, you can always return for coffee and desert after it.  Last seating is by 8:30 - 9 PM.

6.  Most Reserved Dining rooms are on Deck 6.  All that I have been in have been Starboard.  I have heard of a few others being port.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

reserve dining on the Regal

The reserve dining is the part of our upcomming New Years cruise that I am most looking forward to. This is our first try with the reserve, (Club Class), and we hope the dining experience is a return to the way dining used to be. Sailing on the Regal Dec. 27, 2023

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, no1superfan said:

The reserve dining is the part of our upcomming New Years cruise that I am most looking forward to. This is our first try with the reserve, (Club Class), and we hope the dining experience is a return to the way dining used to be. Sailing on the Regal Dec. 27, 2023

Well it won’t be traditional like having a set group at your table and a set time. Basically it is no waiting or little waiting   You may or may not get the same table or servers. There will be one extra dish each evening. We like it because we don’t like to plan when we want to eat in advance and we don’t like to wait 

In the past the entrance has been on the left side on Grand class and the right entrance on Royal class. Always mid ship dining room

Edited by memoak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, no1superfan said:

We found that if we let the host/hostess know that we liked our servers, they went out of their way to keep us with them.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, memoak said:

Well it won’t be traditional like having a set group at your table and a set time. Basically it is no waiting or little waiting   You may or may not get the same table or servers. There will be one extra dish each evening. We like it because we don’t like to plan when we want to eat in advance and we don’t like to wait 

In the past the entrance has been on the left side on Grand class and the right entrance on Royal class. Always mid ship dining room

95% of the time, I have been able to get the same table.  100% of the time, I’ve had the same waiter.  Even when “someone was at MY table” I was seated in another section and MY waiter served me.  

On the Grand, the Reserve Dining Room (it will always be Club Class Dining…ugh) is on the Starboard (ship’s right) side.  But yes, as you face the dining rooms….it is on the physical “left” of you.  

• Like 5

It boils down to what time you show up for dinner and how many others show up at the same time. Only one time we waited a few minutes and a couple times we had another table. ALL the staff we had in Club Class were exceptional. We loved the experience.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I am gobsmacked that a regular like you on Princess Forum doesn't know how Reserve (a.k.a. Club) Class dining works.  There are no reservations - it's walk-up.

Never have been in a Club Class Cabin...how would I know? We got upgraded to Reserve but my previous dining reservation times are still listed on the App but now switched to the Concerto dining room.
Geez....my DH claims even HE knew no reservations were needed....and he doesn't know anything!!  LOL!  Thanks for the info.

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

We had reserve dining on the Regal in July.  We never waited for a table and we were always seated in the same section with a fantastic waiter.  Loved the experience.  

We are sailing on the Regal in a few weeks!

30 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Never have been in a Club Class Cabin...how would I know? We got upgraded to Reserve but my previous dining reservation times are still listed on the App but now switched to the Concerto dining room.
Geez....my DH claims even HE knew no reservations were needed....and he doesn't know anything!!  LOL!  Thanks for the info.

The host/hostess will scan your medallion on the first couple of nights. It never ceases to amaze me, that after 13 days, people still walk up to this door….and very politely “guided” to the other MDR. 

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The host/hostess will scan your medallion on the first couple of nights. It never ceases to amaze me, that after 13 days, people still walk up to this door….and very politely “guided” to the other MDR. 

This happens on every cruise when people find there is a wait and go looking for the 2nd entrance.  And then they start arguing with the hostess since they see open tables

1 minute ago, memoak said:

This happens on every cruise when people find there is a wait and go looking for the 2nd entrance.  And then they start arguing with the hostess since they see open tables

Yes, I sat by the door. There was a Reserved Dining sign. But after 2 weeks, you’d think they would “know” by then. 

Almost as entertaining as watching newbies trying to find the aft dining room. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, suzyed said:

Cancel those reservations - they are for the MDR and not the Reserve section which has no reservations.

• Like 1

On Caribbean Princess for 15 days last year we were a party of 4 in Club (Reserve). As most tables were set for 2 we seemed a challenge to the maitre d’. On 3 or 4 occasions we were asked to wait in the nearest bar and he fetched us when a table was free - 10 minutes at the most. We were ok with this. I think it was made more challenging for the staff as there was a large table permanently set for a family of 9. I will add that this was very rarely used by the whole group - just 4 or 6, or none, on most evenings. They did all appear on one formal night with the men in shorts and baseball caps - for which I make no comment! 

suzyed - I’m sure you’ll enjoy Reserve, we certainly do.

• Thanks 1

A slightly off topic question but related.  If one of the couples traveling with us is not ‘Club Class’, but we are, will they be allowed to sit in the Reserve section with us?  I’m thinking no, but wanted to check.  Thanks ! 

4 minutes ago, doyleb said:

A slightly off topic question but related.  If one of the couples traveling with us is not ‘Club Class’, but we are, will they be allowed to sit in the Reserve section with us?  I’m thinking no, but wanted to check.  Thanks ! 

The Reserve Collection Mini-Suite FAQ are very clear. Look at the answer to question number 5.

If everyone in Reserve Collection could invite friends, they would need twice as much space.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2