The weather on Aurora’s current cruise

Dermotsgirl

I’ve been watching this situation since the weekend, and I wondered if anybody else had noticed.

Aurora is on her USA / Canada cruise. She’s due in to Boston tomorrow, leaving on Friday, and will sail round Cape Cod on Saturday, to arrive in Newport RI on Sunday. 

However, Hurricane Lee is approaching New England and Maritime Canada, and on the current tracking forecast, is due to pass Cape Cod on Saturday.

This is a massive-sized storm, so the whole region is forecast to be impacted.

No doubt P&O are planning what to do, so I think it’s worth monitoring this 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ve been watching this situation since the weekend, and I wondered if anybody else had noticed.

Aurora is on her USA / Canada cruise. She’s due in to Boston tomorrow, leaving on Friday, and will sail round Cape Cod on Saturday, to arrive in Newport RI on Sunday. 

However, Hurricane Lee is approaching New England and Maritime Canada, and on the current tracking forecast, is due to pass Cape Cod on Saturday.

This is a massive-sized storm, so the whole region is forecast to be impacted.

No doubt P&O are planning what to do, so I think it’s worth monitoring this 

This seems to occur most years, we had a similar situation in 2019 when with CMV, we missed one port and there wass some damage but I seem to remember Arcadia missing more. Last year Ambassador Ambience was tied up for three days to avoid a hurricane. Emerald Princess is missing Halifax and returning to NY to avoid hurricane Lee.

• Like 3

Hurricane Lee is being forecast to have weather impacts through the entire coastal area of New England and the Canadian maritimes.  The impacts in the area will start to be felt from Friday and to continue through the weekend.  Halifax and Newfoundland are apparently going to have very severe weather even if the storm hits further down.

Assumedly plans are already in place as there have been marine warnings for several days.  

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Hurricane Lee is being forecast to have weather impacts through the entire coastal area of New England and the Canadian maritimes.  The impacts in the area will start to be felt from Friday and to continue through the weekend.  Halifax and Newfoundland are apparently going to have very severe weather even if the storm hits further down.

Assumedly plans are already in place as there have been marine warnings for several days.  

Maybe they’ll put an extra rope out each end in case there’s an unexpected squall

• Haha 4

We were in that area in September 2020 and a hurricane was approaching, the captain kept us updated and took us quite a way back out to sea while it went through.  The next port (sorry can’t remember which it was) was badly affected by the hurricane 😞

• Like 3

We were staying with friends in Halifax Nova Scotia, when Hurricane Kyle hit Nova Scotia in 2008, not a pleasant experience. We has spent the day prior to its arrival removing everything that was loose in the garden and tying down every that couldn’t be moved, it was a very noisy night, we slept downstairs. 

• Like 4

Weather is so unpredictable nowadays. Look at the recent storm in the Med. Poor Libya. However, this is coming up to storm season in the Atlantic so hope we are OK on the Arcadia Canada cruise in two weeks. It is a risk you have to take at this time of year. 

• Like 2

On at the moment and we have just docked in Boston. We are staying in Boston Saturday but in a different commercial area for safety with nobody allowed ashore from 7pm friday. Ship will sail 6am Sunday morning missing Newport and arriving on schedule in New York on Monday morning for 3 days.

• Like 10

50 minutes ago, daveoc said:

On at the moment and we have just docked in Boston. We are staying in Boston Saturday but in a different commercial area for safety with nobody allowed ashore from 7pm friday. Ship will sail 6am Sunday morning missing Newport and arriving on schedule in New York on Monday morning for 3 days.

Bring her back safe please.  We are on next!!  Very strange path that hurricane has. [Key Messages]

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, daveoc said:

Thanks for letting us know.

Hope it all goes well. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, daveoc said:

We are also onboard.  Just accessed a local weather report and is looking good for leaving by 6am on Sunday regards winds and weather forecast for NY looking good all three days we are there, though should imagine the sea will have been chopped up a bit as we leave Boston, so will be keeping my Stugeron to hand then. 

The wind speeds have apparently reduced considerably from what they were and should reduce more by the time it passes to the east of us.  Seems it will not reach land from the sea until Nova Scotia.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, tring said:

We are also onboard.  Just accessed a local weather report and is looking good for leaving by 6am on Sunday regards winds and weather forecast for NY looking good all three days we are there, though should imagine the sea will have been chopped up a bit as we leave Boston, so will be keeping my Stugeron to hand then. 

The wind speeds have apparently reduced considerably from what they were andy should reduce more by the time it passes to the east of us.  Seems it will not reach land from the sea until Nova Scotia.

That sounds very positive.  Hopefully the impact on you will be minimal. It's very busy out there in the Atlantic at present, I see there may well be another one incoming if it forms and here at home Margot is apparently expected to bring lots of rain next week!

https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurricane/nigel-to-develop-soon-could-become-next-hurricane-danger-in-atlantic/1579249

https://www.severe-weather.eu/global-weather/atlantic-storm-margot-ireland-uk-europe-autumn-season-mk/

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Malcolm142 said:

She has been at the Flynn cruise terminal since she came into Boston although I think she may have been moved one berth along at the same cruise terminal .

I am following as we have friends on board

Yes exactly.  We seem to have moved along a berth overnight, presumably because the ship there now has had a change over day today, but have definitely been here since yesterday morning.  We move to the commercial port later this evening.  We need to be onboard by 7pm to allow for that and will. It be able to leave the ship from there.  No other announcements from Captain, so assume we are still due to leave Sunday morning and head directly to NY.

I do not think Caribbean Princess was  due here today, so also here because of the storm.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, tring said:

Aurora is now in a very rainy NY, but a calm passage was had en route here from 10pm Sat as we were able to leave earlier than expected.  

I hope the weather improves for you.  I understand there were some incredible sunsets in Boston before the storm so hopefully something nice out of the adversity.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

I hope the weather improves for you.  I understand there were some incredible sunsets in Boston before the storm so hopefully something nice out of the adversity.  

Yes sunsets were lovely, hope your friend is enjoying the cruise.  Weather report went downhill from the day of my first post here when I said it was good.  Was saying 25C and sunny throughout then throughout the three days.  Rain seems to have stopped for now, but showers predicted today, so just mooching about.  Captain said cloud now predicted for the rest of our stay and about 22C, but hopefully dry, so that will do us.

Now in a cafe in Hudson's Yards, (a new trendy area), for a coffee and may head over to Times Square or Greenwich Village later, probably still on foot, slowly, but also hope to try out the subway later and perhaps do the night Circle Line boat trip, which leaves at 7pm, from near the cruise terminal, if it stays dry and clears a bit.

Will feel more like doing other things when weather improves.  We are very glad we did not book pre paid tickets for the boat trips or to go up skyscrapers as would not see much today.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2023 at 4:23 PM, Megabear2 said:

The sunsets were incredible. Photos don’t really do them justice. 

image.jpeg

6fc2a97e-bb95-49e5-8b63-992aad7399e2.jpeg

0b016446-2219-4cde-9333-abea966508c6.jpeg

• Like 3