Coffee Brand in Mosaic 2023

lexdisic

I’m a coffee enthusiast (kind euphemism for horrible coffee snob 😄) and I asked to see one of the coffee bags earlier this year. It was not a brand I recognised or remember, unfortunately. It had a best before date more than 12 months in the future, and they load it on by the pallet. FWIW, it was 100% Arabica. In the hands of a good barista, it can be very nice. In the hands of someone just learning, it was pretty bad! 

19 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

I’m a coffee enthusiast (kind euphemism for horrible coffee snob 😄) and I asked to see one of the coffee bags earlier this year. It was not a brand I recognised or remember, unfortunately. It had a best before date more than 12 months in the future, and they load it on by the pallet. FWIW, it was 100% Arabica. In the hands of a good barista, it can be very nice. In the hands of someone just learning, it was pretty bad! 

Thanks - I had been trawling for an answer for sometime and can now see how I failed in my quest. 

AH! I've finally got a reason to bash the horrible service you get on Azamara. Don't order the coffee in the MDR, at least on Quest and Journey. Slop water and invariably tepid. Terrible cruise line, just terrible. I'd spoken to Heike when she still graced us about this, and she confirmed that the same coffee is used throughout the ship - MDR, Mosaic, and Windows. Seriously, MDR coffee is not good, Mosaic is excellent.

As for Mosaic, I've seen Illy in the past, and it's hard getting a bad cup there. Currently, honestly I don't know what brand they are using. (We are purists, cappuccino or espresso before 11:30 in the morning, espresso only after 11:30AM. DW has become somewhat more adventurous in recent cruises, cappucci in a tall glass after adding their hot chocolate mix, then add either ice or ice cream. Enjoy your next cruise, and may the coffee brand they use be you biggest problem.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr H said:

AH! I've finally got a reason to bash the horrible service you get on Azamara. Don't order the coffee in the MDR, at least on Quest and Journey. Slop water and invariably tepid. Terrible cruise line, just terrible. I'd spoken to Heike when she still graced us about this, and she confirmed that the same coffee is used throughout the ship - MDR, Mosaic, and Windows. Seriously, MDR coffee is not good, Mosaic is excellent.

As for Mosaic, I've seen Illy in the past, and it's hard getting a bad cup there. Currently, honestly I don't know what brand they are using. (We are purists, cappuccino or espresso before 11:30 in the morning, espresso only after 11:30AM. DW has become somewhat more adventurous in recent cruises, cappucci in a tall glass after adding their hot chocolate mix, then add either ice or ice cream. Enjoy your next cruise, and may the coffee brand they use be you biggest problem.

It wasn’t Illy when I asked. I’d have remembered that, because I think it’s ok, and Lavazza isn’t bad either. It wasn’t a name that I’ve ever seen in an Italian bar. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dr H said:

Maybe the same coffee but not made the same way, Mosaic and Living Room have barista machines which in the right hands can produce an excellent cup of coffee. Windows Cafe has WMF automatic bean to cup machines which set up correctly can provide a good coffee, WMF is the Rolls Royce of automated machines and are extremely expensive. 
I agree coffee in MDR and specialty restaurants is pretty awful and I suspect is from filter coffee makers which can be ok if you get the first cup but after that forget it especially if it’s left on the warmer for any period of time.

Trick is to ask for an Americano and then they have to get it from Mosaic Cafe.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

It wasn’t Illy when I asked. I’d have remembered that, because I think it’s ok, and Lavazza isn’t bad either. It wasn’t a name that I’ve ever seen in an Italian bar. 

We've been Lavazza drinkers for some 15 years now since we visited La Spezia, Italy and have been hooked ever since - haven't found a decent MDR or filter coffee on any ship, even hotel.

• Like 1

In speciality restaurants and MDR we always reject coffee and go to Mosaic.

Also in MDR and speciality restaurants mint tea requests often bring green tea in a response. Mosaic staff get that right too. 

• Like 1

We also go to Mosaic in the morning before going anywhere for breakfast. The staff always say up in the Windows café there’s no need to do that and it’s the same coffee. I can’t get them to understand it’s not the coffee it’s how it’s made that is the difference - we are black coffee drinkers so are pretty sensitive to the taste.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TJR_0323 said:

Purists.... seriously ??? Brand doesn't matter if you're going to obliterate it !

27 minutes ago, uktog said:

We also go to Mosaic in the morning before going anywhere for breakfast. The staff always say up in the Windows café there’s no need to do that and it’s the same coffee. I can’t get them to understand it’s not the coffee it’s how it’s made that is the difference - we are black coffee drinkers so are pretty sensitive to the taste.  

You have hurt my feelings, which is an assault on his royalty, and I'm heading to my safe space! No, I am a converted Italian, and part of the religion only permits the consumption of cappuccino before 11:30 in the morning. Brand of coffee doesn't matter, timing does. After 11:30AM, it's espresso ONLY. What the Americans or Brits choose to drink is their problem. My wife and her Mah Jong meyechele (it's a tribal word some may understand, and translates poorly into English and Italian is impossible) is strictly her business. Although it doesn't sound bad. UK: I read you loud and clearly. The only place I go out of my way to put sugar and cream in my coffee is in Holland. I don't know how they do it, but that is truly a treat. Anywhere else, BLACK is beautiful, but you cannot make a black cappuccino.

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Our first stop in the morning is Mosaic for lattes, which we enjoy in our room before heading off for breakfast.

• Like 1

Most cruise lines use a coffee syrup in their dining facilities.  Syrup and hot water, instant buffet coffee.

Yuck.

Of course if the barista has no skill even the best coffee will be ruined by a bad grind or wrong temperature.  My DW did some instruction with the barista on Seabourn on our last cruise -- on that plus the roasting. 

4 hours ago, uktog said:

As a black coffee drinker, I agree the best by far on Az is at Mosaic. Generally I take one with me for MDR breakfast, and head straight there following.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr H said:

and part of the religion only permits the consumption of cappuccino before 11:30 in the morning

The further south you go, the earlier this gets. Our credo is 'never after 11:00'.

There is a sound, historical reason for this. Before the days of readily-available/affordable refrigeration, in an Italian climate, the milk used to sour quickly. And, of course, generally-speaking, the further South you go the warmer it gets. Therefore, it was better to be safe than sorry - no milk in your coffee at a time when it was likely to be sour!

• Like 8

• 2 months later...