Question about gratuities...

Greytgrey

1 minute ago, Cruisintimer said:

We would never remove gratuities and enjoy tipping throughout the cruise.  The crews have been amazing on every voyage we have taken.  Not my business how much they make on their contracts or how it's distributed. 

Nor us, but some here are advocating to remove tips and reward directly to the few that they interact with.  This is a dangerous choice, no matter the supposed rationalizing that it doesn't reduce the overall tipping pool, which is misguided and only emboldened those who are prone to remove tips.  Everyone involved in making your cruise fabulous should participate in the pool, and those that choose to remove tips and pay directly are simply trying to garner favor from those they tip by screwing the behind the scenes support staff.  Less money in the tipping pool only converts to less money available for crew, regardless of your accounting theories.  If you get great service, tip them on top of the auto gratuities!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Nor us, but some here are advocating to remove tips and reward directly to the few that they interact with.  This is a dangerous choice, no matter the supposed rationalizing that it doesn't reduce the overall tipping pool, which is misguided and only emboldened those who are prone to remove tips.  Everyone involved in making your cruise fabulous should participate in the pool, and those that choose to remove tips and pay directly are simply trying to garner favor from those they tip by screwing the behind the scenes support staff.  Less money in the tipping pool only converts to less money available for crew, regardless of your accounting theories.  If you get great service, tip them on top of the auto gratuities!

Listen,

I am not advocating that anyone do anything.

From my understanding there is no longer a tipping pool from the Crew Appreciation Princess collects now. It has become revenue that pays salary & bonuses - to whom I don’t know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dog said:

Listen,

From my understanding there is no longer a tipping pool from the Crew Appreciation Princess collects now. It has become revenue that pays salary & bonuses - to whom I don’t know.

I get you Dog.

I think a few people need to go back and read posts from a few pages back. I agree that it seems that CA now just goes in to general revenue that pays for everything, including wages. I refuse to pay the staff wages. Raise the cruise fares if need be, but it would be more transparent.

I have never removed auto grats in the past but will be doing so now based on what I have read here. I'll tip certain staff in cash on board. However it is clear that if we remove CA it makes no difference to what the room stewards, dish washers or whoever get paid. Some seem to get a warm feeling by paying the CA but if it just goes to general revenue it may well be paying bonuses to the IT staff who quickly deal with problems with the Medallion App.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Quite a bit of discussion here, however we in North America have a major problem with our Tipping Culture.  Its to the point where its almost a service charge now not a tip.  I appreciate good service and like leaving tips for the waiters and staff that do a good job however it is getting out of hand.  There are countries we visit where tips are not expected and sometimes they will give back money left on the table.

We always leave a large tip to the cabin stewart at the end of the cruise before leaving the room as they have always given exceptional service.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dog said:

Listen,

I tend to agree with you, dog, especially after watching the creeping tip culture for the past three years.  Since it appears that Princess has now taken the CA pool and turned it into salaries and bonuses for the back of the house employees who do not interact with or provide direct, face-to-face service to guests.

Everyone is free to do what they want, but I certainly see no reason to pay tips/gratuities/crew appreciation and then feel the need to hand out additional tips/gratuities to Stuart, the waiter, assistant waiter, the maitre d, etc if they are now paid an agreed upon living wage and are no longer dependent upon tips/gratuities for their income.

I've been noticing tip jars in land-based establishments where there didn't used to be any.  Places where the employees are on salary and not dependent on tips they way waiters and bartenders are.

I don't need to see a tip jar at Jiffy Lube, for example.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I've been noticing tip jars in land-based establishments where there didn't used to be any.  Places where the employees are on salary and not dependent on tips they way waiters and bartenders are.

I don't need to see a tip jar at Jiffy Lube, for example.

It’s being built right into the apps with a 20% tip as a default, and friends who own a franchise smoothie cafe say their employees are making bank. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Without the back of the house employees the front of the house employees would not have the tools they need to make your cruise what you expect it to be. Call it tips or bonus whatever you like to me it is all the same. It would be the same as saying I didn’t go to guest services so I am going to hold back some cash. How many of you tip guest services when they solve a problem for you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, leck57 said:

. Some seem to get a warm feeling by paying the CA but if it just goes to general revenue it may well be paying bonuses to the IT staff who quickly deal with problems with the Medallion App.   

I don't think that's accurate. This is what Princess says:

All of the Crew Appreciation and Service Charge payments made by all guests on all ships in our fleet are pooled, net of credit card transaction fees. The pooled funds are distributed throughout the year in the form of compensation, including bonuses, to crewmembers fleetwide who interact directly with guests and/or behind the scenes throughout every cruise, including those in the Bar, Dining, Entertainment, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Galley and Onboard Revenue areas.

There is nothing in there about the IT people located off-ship. It goes to the people you'd expect and not some random dude who works in Marketing or IT or the CEO.

Also, the reason they are pooled is because the employees asked for that. The ones on itineraries that attracted a non-tipping crowd (i.e., Australia) were getting less money than the ones who got a lot of Americans with our crazy tipping culture (i.e., the Caribbean) and they wanted it to be fairer given that tips are a big part of their compensation.

Personally, I have always found the old way of tipping stressful as I wasn't sure how much to give to whom. This way, all the guesswork is taken out and if there is someone who gives extraordinary service, I can always tip them personally on top. I presume that extraordinary workers will get the bonuses, but this way I can be sure they get extra.

Also, crew have reported that to get these bonuses, it helps to be mentioned in the survey we get when the cruise is over. So if someone gives me great service, I will be sure to mention them even if I also tip them on top of CA.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Without the back of the house employees the front of the house employees would not have the tools they need to make your cruise what you expect it to be. Call it tips or bonus whatever you like to me it is all the same. It would be the same as saying I didn’t go to guest services so I am going to hold back some cash. How many of you tip guest services when they solve a problem for you

Since when were the back of the house workers dependent on tips?  So far as guest services, their job is to solve problems and they should not expect tips.  They are now, however, reaping the benefit of the Princess Employee Salary Subsidy - formerly known as Crew Appreciation, formerly known as Gratuities, formerly known as Tips - and should not be expecting any tips at all.

It was common understanding that the room stewards, waiters, and assistant waiters were paid a smaller salary and were dependent on tips since they provided direct service to the guests.  The back of the house crew are simply overhead.

Do you tip the Captain if he gets you to port on time?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

Since when were the back of the house workers dependent on tips?  So far as guest services, their job is to solve problems and they should not expect tips.  They are now, however, reaping the benefit of the Princess Employee Salary Subsidy - formerly known as Crew Appreciation, formerly known as Gratuities, formerly known as Tips - and should not be expecting any tips at all.

It was common understanding that the room stewards, waiters, and assistant waiters were paid a smaller salary and were dependent on tips since they provided direct service to the guests.  The back of the house crew are simply overhead.

Do you tip the Captain if he gets you to port on time?

The people who work the laundry should be very important. If they don’t do a good job you don’t get clean sheets. And we really do not know the the penny who gets paid what. 

• Like 1

"Crew Appreciation and Service Charge payments made by all guests on all ships in our fleet are pooled, net of credit card transaction fees. The pooled funds are distributed throughout the year in the form of compensation, including bonuses, to crew members fleet wide who interact directly with guests and/or behind the scenes throughout every cruise, including those in the Bar, Dining, Entertainment, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Galley and Onboard Revenue areas."

After reading the official Princess explanation of how they use the Crew Appreciation for fleet-wide compensation, including the back of the house folks, we are being forced to tip:

1. Entertainment staff who crank the music up so loud that it's annoying and almost painful.

2.  Cruise directors staff who take over the "inviting" Piazza for games and pool deck activities and shout into the microphone.

3. Musicians who also crank up the volume and shout into the microphone so much that the music and the singing is distorted.

4.  Hotel staff who refuse to enforce the rules against parking mobility devices in the corridors overnight.

5.  Hotel staff who refuse to enforce the rules about reserving loungers at the Melanoma Deck.

6.  Dining staff who allow passengers who use tables in the Horizon Court for reading and card playing.

I don't mind tipping those crew members who provide me with great service, but the back of the house folks are not doing anything tip-worthy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

"Crew Appreciation and Service Charge payments made by all guests on all ships in our fleet are pooled, net of credit card transaction fees. The pooled funds are distributed throughout the year in the form of compensation, including bonuses, to crew members fleet wide who interact directly with guests and/or behind the scenes throughout every cruise, including those in the Bar, Dining, Entertainment, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Galley and Onboard Revenue areas."

After reading the official Princess explanation of how they use the Crew Appreciation for fleet-wide compensation, including the back of the house folks, we are being forced to tip:

1. Entertainment staff who crank the music up so loud that it's annoying and almost painful.

2.  Cruise directors staff who take over the "inviting" Piazza for games and pool deck activities and shout into the microphone.

3. Musicians who also crank up the volume and shout into the microphone so much that the music and the singing is distorted.

4.  Hotel staff who refuse to enforce the rules against parking mobility devices in the corridors overnight.

5.  Hotel staff who refuse to enforce the rules about reserving loungers at the Melanoma Deck.

6.  Dining staff who allow passengers who use tables in the Horizon Court for reading and card playing.

I don't mind tipping those crew members who provide me with great service, but the back of the house folks are not doing anything tip-worthy.

This is insightful.

Also, crew allowing passengers to reserve seats in the theater after they've been informed. Crew allowing ball caps, shorts and T-shlrts in the MDR. This list could go on.

Since no one can direct an auto tip, all crew (those listed in the quote) are tipped, whether they refuse to do their job, or do it exceptionally.

These are the problems for virtue signalers: If you do auto gratuities, you tip everyone, awesome or useless. And if it's felt that passengers must tip because wages are low, then it follows to ask the virtue in doing business with a company that in their own opinion pays a wage that necessitates supplement.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

The pooled funds are distributed throughout the year in the form of compensation, including bonuses, to crew members fleet wide who interact directly with guests and/or behind the scenes throughout every cruise, including those in the Bar,

I thought they always told us, that the Bar was NOT included in the tip pool, and therefore, that’s why the 18% is always charged on anything from the bar?  
So, not true?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

I thought they always told us, that the Bar was NOT included in the tip pool, and therefore, that’s why the 18% is always charged on anything from the bar?  
So, not true?

Not since the restart.  That 18% goes into the pool of tips (crew appreciation) now.  And especially now with the drinks packages.  The bar staff would be getting stiffed out of their tips, which are not collected with the drinks package orders.  Meaning no tips are collected  on individual drinks ordered when you have a drink package.

Edited by dweeb
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Why would you even go on such a cruise?

Somewhere, there must be another cruise line, or other vacation, that is a better match for your wishes.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Why would you even go on such a cruise?

Somewhere, there must be another cruise line, or other vacation, that is a better match for your wishes.

Viking is one that comes to mind where they are more refined and not trying to be Carnival Light like Princess seems to be.

Are you ok with:

6.  Dining staff who allow passengers who use tables in the Horizon Court for reading and card playing.?????

As for me, I can find a workaround for most all of these annoyances.  Music too loud?  I vacate.  Piazza not as inviting as I'd like?  I vacate.  MUTS too loud?  I vacate.  Pool loungers "reserved"?  I want a shady spot to read where I not inviting skin cancer or leather skin.

Edited by SargassoPirate

7 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Viking is one that comes to mind where they are more refined and not trying to be Carnival Light like Princess seems to be.

Are you ok with:

Then I think you need to cruise Viking if that is what you like

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, memoak said:

Then I think you need to cruise Viking if that is what you like

Oh, we do when they offer an itinerary that we want.  We shop first for the itinerary and secondly with a line where we have some bennies, and then price.

Like I said, I can find a workaround for the annoyances served up by Princess, but I see no reason my tips should reward those annoyances.

And, BTW, I don't mind tipping hard workers who depend on tips and who deserve them, just not those who are salaried and not doing their job. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

As for me, I can find a workaround for most all of these annoyances.  Music too loud?  I vacate.  Piazza not as inviting as I'd like?  I vacate.  MUTS too loud?  I vacate.  Pool loungers "reserved"?  I want a shady spot to read where I not inviting skin cancer or leather skin.

So you're really just making up excuses to cancel tips...

None of the things you mentioned are in any way new.

Cruise Directors on Princess take over lounges, piazza, etc and are loud...

It seems like you have been on enough cruises to know that.

There are certainly cruise lines where things are more reserved.

And, I thought you swore off Princess after some covid issue.

I guess the good thing about cruising on princess is that you can come here an complain!

You're not the first, and sadly, you won't be the last.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1