Virgin fires a shot across Celebrity’s bow

kk20

4 hours ago, bnurick said:

4 Dove brand chocolates a night for two of us

That's toooo many chocolates to " stash away " to bring home for your grandchildren, your barber or your golf buddies.

For those that are upset with Celebrity reducing the number of "chocolates on my pillow" nights, why not just buy a bag of M&Ms prior to the cruise ? It will save time standing in line behind people removing their gratuities for the same reason.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, doghog said:

What cruise line? Anything wrong with tattoos? 

Virgin Voyage has a tattoo parlor and reportedly it's quite popular.  VV also allows their crew to display their tattoos if they wish.  I do not know the specific dress code for X's crew, I see lots of behind-the-counter buffet crew with exposed forearms and sometimes tattoos.  Yet it seems the serving crew are to be in long-sleeve button-downs

I have tattoos and not only love seeing them but am always curious about the story behind them yet understand not everyone likes tattoos which doesn't bother me.  However, I do find there are some tattoos that are indeed "wrong".  While it's an overall generalization, hateful, offensive, or having facial tattoos is going to make the majority including myself uncomfortable

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

That's toooo many chocolates to " stash away " to bring home for your grandchildren, your barber or your golf buddies.

For those that are upset with Celebrity reducing the number of "chocolates on my pillow" nights, why not just buy a bag of M&Ms prior to the cruise ? It will save time standing in line behind people removing their gratuities for the same reason.

You can buy candy at one of the ship stores also

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I have tattoos and not only love seeing them but am always curious about the story behind them yet understand not everyone likes tattoos which doesn't bother me. 

I do too and agree. I got my first couple of tattoos back when tattoos were taboo. 

10 hours ago, Pinboy said:

We were reduced to 3 on night two. Maybe it’s a 4-3-2-1-0-0-0 on this cruise. Removing gratuities is poor form, the Staff always works very hard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Correct---Ummm---Ya gotta win a lottery to afford the prices.

M&Ms in any store on land -- $4.99--- on the ship---$14.99

Come to think of it, if Celebrity had their logo on it--- $24.99

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Correct---Ummm---Ya gotta win a lottery to afford the prices.

M&Ms in any store on land -- $4.99--- on the ship---$14.99

Come to think of it, if Celebrity had their logo on it--- $24.99

They do. It's, "X" amount of $dollars. 🤑

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, bnurick said:

To each their own. On DCL now and October 2024. X in January, July, September, December and January 2025. After that it’s up in the air.

So you complain about Celebrity, but not DCL's prices and their cuts over the years and recently? We still look and their prices are way over Celebrity, at least for the inside rooms we now book.

Around 2015 DCL basically doubled the concierge room prices. We were in them at the lower prices in 2013 and 2014, but we were going back to insides even if they lowered those rates for 2015. I guess it is possible that with the retreat price increases that X has surpassed DCLs prices.

In a perfect world, I would like to see a "combo" of VV ship and X Edge class.  While the decor on VV is nice, I would like it to feel a bit more upscale as well as have nicer sundecks and a better connection to the sea.  I think there's a market for X if they had a ship that borrowed some of the VV experience.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cgolf1 said:

So you complain about Celebrity, but not DCL's prices and their cuts over the years and recently? We still look and their prices are way over Celebrity, at least for the inside rooms we now book.

Around 2015 DCL basically doubled the concierge room prices. We were in them at the lower prices in 2013 and 2014, but we were going back to insides even if they lowered those rates for 2015. I guess it is possible that with the retreat price increases that X has surpassed DCLs prices.

I don’t complain about either DCL or X prices.

X has you pre-pay for beverage and specialty dining packages, then cuts, without an option to cancel for a full refund due to unforeseen circumstances.

DCL does not sell packages, so their prices adjust with the market. DCL MDR offerings have not been cut. Risk-free cancellation is much more liberal.

This is my second DCL cruise in 2023. October will be my second X cruise in 2023. My data points are current.

X took on more debt, thus are squeezing more to cover the expense.

It is not personal for me, will sail the best value option. Here are our actual DCL prices for verandah cabins:

November 2019 = $4,606

November 2022 = $5,006

September 2023 = $4,333

• Like 3

16 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The issue is not the lack of chocolates, it’s the constant cutting back of small luxuries that X use to offer.  Going on a cruise is a luxury and people pay thousands to do so.  So you’re saying it’s ok for X to do cut backs to boost profits but loyal cruisers shouldn’t complain or voice their opinions? 

Celebrity is a company out to make profits, we get that and I’ve never had the urge to try other lines until the last 3 cruises we did.  We saw a significant change in the food quantity,  service with increased pricing with perks taken away.    I do provide feedback and constructive criticism when asked but I’m also going to try other cruise lines to see if Celebrity really is offering me a good product for the price.   The only way X will respond is when they see a decline in bookings and on board spending. We’re kidding ourselves if we don’t think they read and even participate in these cruise blogs.   

Virgin may not be for me but I’m open to trying it - hence why I cancelled an X cruise to try one.  This may make loyal cruisers like myself realize the grass isn’t greener on the other side or we may become loyal to a new brand.   That’s a risk X will take when they see other lines go after their customer base.   

Edited by Work2cruz!
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, jakebloke said:

In a perfect world, I would like to see a "combo" of VV ship and X Edge class.  While the decor on VV is nice, I would like it to feel a bit more upscale as well as have nicer sundecks and a better connection to the sea.  I think there's a market for X if they had a ship that borrowed some of the VV experience.  

I’d agree. Seems like Celebrity has tried that to some degree with the E Class ships. But every time they introduce something slightly different than traditional the “legacy” group blows up and it gets changed back to the same old same old. 

On 9/24/2023 at 9:23 AM, Jeremiah1212 said:

They pay it on Celebrity, on Royal Caribbean, on NCL.... Your comparison isn't really even a comparison though. Totally, totally different markets. Look at winter prices for resorts in St. Marteen, Los Cabos, Turks and Caicos, etc. there isn't a shortage of people willing to spend $25k (as an entry price point!) for a week in the Caribbean. The $10k cruise becomes the bargain.

Well given the number of Celebrity refugees on Oceania who post on CC, and who were on my voyage on Insignia in August, I would say the markets are quite porous and transferable. 

• Like 2