Crystal Serenity: Reykjavik to Reykjavik August 30 to September 8, 2023

Focused1

Just a few comments on this recent cruise as it was disrupted on the third day having acquired COVID and quarantined to my cabin for the remainder of the cruise. Therefore, my comments are limited to the experience I had the first two days including my visit on the third day to the medical clinic. This was our first Crystal cruise having sailed many times with Regent, Silversea, and Seabourn. We anxiously looked forward to the trip to celebrate a milestone anniversary and booked a Sapphire Suite on Deck 9.

We were pleased with the eagerness to serve attitude of the crew members. It was obvious that they were trying very hard to provide the best service possible.  The ship, in general, is beautiful, tastefully renovated and well maintained.  With 1/2 capacity (around 325 passengers), nothing was crowded, providing a very comfortable and welcoming atmosphere. 

We were mostly pleased with the Sapphire suite except for the very small closet and the opaque glass door off the entry foyer that opened into the bathroom. (If one was using the facility, anyone entering the suite could actually see their silhouette.) What were the designers thinking?  Our butler, Prince, was an old Crystal employee who returned, and was excellent and attentive. Our cabin stewards were also outstanding. 

We dined in the Italian restaurant and Waterside the first and second nights, respectively. Both were very good.

However, experience with the Spa was substandard at best. That is, none of the pre booked appointments appeared in their system plus their published prices were higher by $10 or more than what was posted on the Crystal website. Reception Spa staff seemed confused and unable to resolve the simplest of problems including the scheduling of appointments. The one service I did receive was incomplete. ( All things considered, it didn’t matter because my subsequent illness precluded me from attending the remainder of my appointments. )

Also, experience with the medical clinic was an issue. On the third day of the cruise, I visited the clinic feeling unwell.  I thought it might be COVID but the ship doctor insisted that there was NO COVID on the ship. He prescribed antibiotics and said I would feel better the next day. However, my condition worsened two days later and I was finally tested positive for COVID and quarantined for the remainder of the cruise. It was too late to begin any antiviral treatment. Needless to say, this was an unfortunate event and I was quite ill for the remainder of the cruise but well taken care of by our butler and cabin stewards (for which I am deeply grateful). 

• Thanks 4

If you are on any statins or heart meds, you can’t take Paxlovid. Just an FYI. So sorry you had that negative experience with the Dr but happy you had at least 2 good days. Hope you’re feeling better’s now and will give Crystal another try

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AtA said:

If you are on any statins or heart meds, you can’t take Paxlovid.

Actually, many people can take Paxlovid with statins if they temporarily stop the statin.

And the blanket statement that you can't take Paxlovid with "any...heart meds" is incorrect.  There are scores of different heart meds, some of which can and some of which can't be taken with Paxlovid.  The major categories of heart medications that "can't be taken with Paxlovid" are anti-arrhythmics and anti-coagulants.

But, of course, everyone should discuss their particular case with their doctor.

Don't listen to me or to anyone else on CC regarding your health.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Focused1 said:

However, experience with the Spa was substandard at best. That is, none of the pre booked appointments appeared in their system plus their published prices were higher by $10 or more than what was posted on the Crystal website. Reception Spa staff seemed confused and unable to resolve the simplest of problems including the scheduling of appointments. The one service I did receive was incomplete.

I have found this with the spa every time we have cruised on Crystal! (50+) They must not ever update their published prices and it is annoying to say the least. I hope you feel better very soon!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NWX said:

I have found this with the spa every time we have cruised on Crystal! (50+) They must not ever update their published prices and it is annoying to say the least. I hope you feel better very soon!

This is a new spa and the prices have only been in effect since July 31st. Somebody’s attention to detail in the spa is clearly lacking. That’s such a shame!

Focused1, thank you for posting, and I am so sad to hear of what happened on what could/should have been a wonderful celebratory cruise!

I am appalled to hear what the doctor said, on many levels. Not any better than ATA’s inaccurate medical opinion.

Just FYI, to everyone, a patient should take Paxlovid within five days of experiencing symptoms. Sooner is almost definitely better.

And my last thing I can’t resist saying is there may NOT have been any Covid onboard, until you brought it on from your exposure on the day prior to embarkation! Or, there may have been. And you certainly didn’t do it willingly, that’s for darn sure!

I hope you’ve made a complete recovery.

Edited by May B
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Focused1 said:

However, experience with the Spa was substandard at best.

One Spa World is now the name of what was called Steiner previously.  They manage the spas on many mainstream and luxury ships.  Spas at Sea - OneSpaWorld

My limited experience with them is that they were "OK" but I have never left feeling like I received the level of service that my dollars paid for.  Only when I have excess OBC will I pay their excessive prices.  They have the at sea monopoly so no competition.

I will say that on Crystal I have not had even a hint of "hard sell" for products after my treatment like people report from other cruise lines.  I do appreciate that!  Has Crystal instructed them to lay off the sales pitch, I wonder?  If so that it a good thing!

My two cents on ship spas.....

~Nancy

• Like 4

11 hours ago, May B said:

This is a new spa and the prices have only been in effect since July 31st. Somebody’s attention to detail in the spa is clearly lacking. That’s such a shame!

Understand all spas on every cruise ship are run by One World, formerly Steiner. They switch out the people in the spa at their whim so sometimes it’s good and other times not as good. The problem is there is no consistency with staffing because of that

14 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

Actually, many people can take Paxlovid with statins if they temporarily stop the statin.

And the blanket statement that you can't take Paxlovid with "any...heart meds" is incorrect.  There are scores of different heart meds, some of which can and some of which can't be taken with Paxlovid.  The major categories of heart medications that "can't be taken with Paxlovid" are anti-arrhythmics and anti-coagulants.

But, of course, everyone should discuss their particular case with their doctor.

Don't listen to me or to anyone else on CC regarding your health.

Thank you. I amend my comments. Yes if you go off statins you can use Paxlovid. The issue is the many folks on anti arrhythmias and anti coagulants which for us older folks probably more than we like to acknowledge 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, AtA said:

Thank you. I amend my comments. Yes if you go off statins you can use Paxlovid. The issue is the many folks on anti arrhythmias and anti coagulants which for us older folks probably more than we like to acknowledge 

I think there are two statins you can stay on, as well. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AtA said:

Understand all spas on every cruise ship are run by One World, formerly Steiner. They switch out the people in the spa at their whim so sometimes it’s good and other times not as good. The problem is there is no consistency with staffing because of that

Just want you to know that is incorrect.

While many use One Word they are not the only Spa in town.I believe another one is Canyon Rock. Even one line uses two different companies.

All of the people in the current spa on Serenity are new to Crystal and that is because some have left one world and others are on other ships.  If someone is popular with the guests and wants to return to the same line usually that happens.

And once in awhile even on Crystal (old and new) someone pushes products a bit much while others don't.

Keith

56 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Just want you to know that is incorrect.

While many use One Word they are not the only Spa in town.I believe another one is Canyon Rock. Even one line uses two different companies.

All of the people in the current spa on Serenity are new to Crystal and that is because some have left one world and others are on other ships.  If someone is popular with the guests and wants to return to the same line usually that happens.

And once in awhile even on Crystal (old and new) someone pushes products a bit much while others don't.

Keith

Keith,  The other spa operator is Canyon RANCH.  They are upscale spa facilities with the original in Arizona.

• Like 4

Canyon Ranch has definitely gained more lines, but I think of I had to pick one vendor that I could make the generalization that "just about everyone uses" it's OneSpaWorld. 🙂  I can't think of a single vendor in the cruise industry that has their kind of market share -- probably not even Apollo with catering, or Starboard with retail.

Vince

20 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Canyon Ranch has definitely gained more lines, but I think of I had to pick one vendor that I could make the generalization that "just about everyone uses" it's OneSpaWorld. 🙂  I can't think of a single vendor in the cruise industry that has their kind of market share -- probably not even Apollo with catering, or Starboard with retail.

Vince

Actually if I recall correctly, and I’m sure someone will if I’m wrong, Regent used to have Canyon Ranch run their spas?

Looking at oakridgers list it is most cruise lines

1 hour ago, AtA said:

Actually if I recall correctly, and I’m sure someone will if I’m wrong, Regent used to have Canyon Ranch run their spas?

Looking at oakridgers list it is most cruise lines

Yes, they do.  Some of their clients haven't always used Canyon Ranch though, that's why I worded it that way.  They're slowly growing.

Vince

A quick question re Covid on the ship.  I'm very sorry that Focused1 was initially misdiagnosed when he/she actually had Covid, but does anyone know if the medical center actually has Paxlovid on board and can prescribe it if appropriate?

1 hour ago, tinaincc said:

Sorry to hear that illness derailed your trip.  When you say quarantine do you mean self-quarantine or were you under ship mandated quarantine? Just curious.

I was under ship mandated quarantine and not allowed to leave my cabin until disembarkation.

• Thanks 1