I am confused about some dining options

Gracie115

We will be on our first Oceania cruise in December.  I have been looking at the deck plans for the Vista and I see a place called Horizons on Deck 14 and the Terrace on Deck 12.  Is one of these the buffet area that most ships have?  I'm not a big buffet fan but just trying to figure out what's what.  Any help is appreciated.

Just now, Gracie115 said:

We will be on our first Oceania cruise in December.  I have been looking at the deck plans for the Vista and I see a place called Horizons on Deck 14 and the Terrace on Deck 12.  Is one of these the buffet area that most ships have?  I'm not a big buffet fan but just trying to figure out what's what.  Any help is appreciated.

Horizons is a lounge and Terrace is the buffet.

• Like 1

The Terrace buffet  is not like  other ship  buffets

No self serve    so more like cafeteria style 

They have  made to order  grill & a couple of other  stations 

not sure on Vista  but the  other ships will have  pasta station/stir fry on some nights

Carving  station  different options nightly

worth having  a look

• Like 6

Terrace Cafe, is as already stated, more cafeteria style than buffet -- the staff will put food on your plate.  It's really nice to sit outside on the actual terrace if you can find a table when you get there.  We almost always eat breakfast there, but don't forget the main dining room for breakfast -- that's another option most passengers forget, and, at least through the last time we sailed with them, they had the small, lollipop lamb chops for breakfast!!

If you are new to Oceania, you will also love the specialty restaurants.  While you only get one reservation per specialty dining room -- depending on the length of your cruise -- you can almost always get extra slots if you go to the reservation table in the morning.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Just outside of the Terrace Cafe is Waves Grill, which has a number of very good options for eating, people watching and enjoying the views. 

Personal opinion, repeat: opinion...

Wave's lunch menu is much better than its breakfast menu.

::grabs some popcorn:: 😉      ...and a surf & turf sandwich.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Snaefell3 said:

::grabs some popcorn:: 😉      ...and a surf & turf sandwich.

Just realized we've never tried the Waves breakfast, but ohhhh... that surf & turf sandwich...!

Yum!!

GC

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Snaefell3 said:

On warm weather cruises  we always  have breakfast at WAVES

Just depends on what people want  fro breakfast

YMMV

6 hours ago, bbwex said:

Terrace Cafe, is as already stated, more cafeteria style than buffet -- the staff will put food on your plate.  It's really nice to sit outside on the actual terrace if you can find a table when you get there.  We almost always eat breakfast there, but don't forget the main dining room for breakfast -- that's another option most passengers forget, and, at least through the last time we sailed with them, they had the small, lollipop lamb chops for breakfast!!

If you are new to Oceania, you will also love the specialty restaurants.  While you only get one reservation per specialty dining room -- depending on the length of your cruise -- you can almost always get extra slots if you go to the reservation table in the morning.

Just off Regatta.  GDR breakfast still has lamb chop.  Enjoyed them many days, will cook to your preference.

GDR breakfast, a more relaxed experience, and lots to choose from.

• Like 4

Gracie 115,

As another elite + X "alumni", I would encourage you to give the Terrace a close look - especially for dinner. IMO it is excellent in all respects unless one strongly prefers to avoid self serve. We were on the Apex spring TA this year and the buffet was marginal at lunch almost every day and poor at a couple of dinners for us. When we are not in a specialty on O, we are in the Terrace. We find it that good.

We find the O specialties to be as good or better than X with the possible exception of Murano and the definite exception of Eden. On balance we prefer the food on O.

HTH

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Croooser said:

Gracie 115,

As another elite + X "alumni", I would encourage you to give the Terrace a close look - especially for dinner. IMO it is excellent in all respects unless one strongly prefers to avoid self serve. We were on the Apex spring TA this year and the buffet was marginal at lunch almost every day and poor at a couple of dinners for us. When we are not in a specialty on O, we are in the Terrace. We find it that good.

We find the O specialties to be as good or better than X with the possible exception of Murano and the definite exception of Eden. On balance we prefer the food on O.

HTH

We were on that TA on Apex too.  Felt the buffet at lunch was as you said, marginal, we didn't try at dinner.   We will definitely check out the Terrace. 

Aside from some of the shows in the theatre on the TA we just were underwhelmed by the sailing.  We weren't going to cruise again this year but found a sailing on the Vista this December and decided it was time to try Oceania and see if it's a good fit for us.  From what I'm reading on these boards I think we may find a new home for our cruise vacations.

• Like 1

Don't forget that you can get just about any egg preparation, pancakes, french toast, etc., by asking the Terrace attendants in the morning. As I was enjoying my pancakes on one of the last days of a recent cruise, a lady asked me where I got them. She didn't know you could order them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Croooser said:

Murano has been sporadic for us. We've had a few really good meals but our last experience was 'meh.' The restaurant we really miss is the original QSine concept with the tapas. That was an amazing culinary experience. We have not even tried the Le Petit Chef that replaced it, I really don't need an animated chef 'preparing my dinner.' I'll watch Ratatouille for that. 🙂 

Of the 9 cruise lines we've sailed so far, Virgin Voyages and Disney have had the best overall food by far so we're excited to finally be trying Oceania in December. We've heard so many awesome things about the food and that surf and turf sandwich has been calling my name since we booked... 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CruisingWalter said:

Murano has been sporadic for us. We've had a few really good meals but our last experience was 'meh.' The restaurant we really miss is the original QSine concept with the tapas. That was an amazing culinary experience. We have not even tried the Le Petit Chef that replaced it, I really don't need an animated chef 'preparing my dinner.' I'll watch Ratatouille for that. 🙂 

Of the 9 cruise lines we've sailed so far, Virgin Voyages and Disney have had the best overall food by far so we're excited to finally be trying Oceania in December. We've heard so many awesome things about the food and that surf and turf sandwich has been calling my name since we booked... 

Regarding the surf and turf sandwich...I have been able to request either double surf/no turf or double turf/no surf.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

We were on that TA on Apex too.  Felt the buffet at lunch was as you said, marginal, we didn't try at dinner.   We will definitely check out the Terrace. 

Aside from some of the shows in the theatre on the TA we just were underwhelmed by the sailing.  We weren't going to cruise again this year but found a sailing on the Vista this December and decided it was time to try Oceania and see if it's a good fit for us.  From what I'm reading on these boards I think we may find a new home for our cruise vacations.

We really liked the ship but found it overcrowded - gave up on the shows - what a goat rodeo trying to get a seat. We did eat in Eden for dinner twice and it's the best that we have ever had at sea.

Warning: Entertainment and activities are not the strong suit of O IMO. However, it is way less crowded and we think the food is overall quite a bit better.

We are heading on our 6th O cruise with a 7th scheduled next year after becoming somewhat of  X refugees. However, the airfare program is nowhere near what Celebrity offers and the SM program is a negative for us. Trying Seabourn for the first time next year. Cruise line of choice is definitely a first world problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hokulea said:

Don't forget that you can get just about any egg preparation, pancakes, french toast, etc., by asking the Terrace attendants in the morning. As I was enjoying my pancakes on one of the last days of a recent cruise, a lady asked me where I got them. She didn't know you could order them.

We had a similar experience at an all inclusive in Cancun.  People are often amazed at what you can sometimes get if you ask politely.  On our cruise we felt that staff was really helpful, especially for first-timers like us.  I know many people are not comfortable asking for something additional or different but we feel like if they can make it happen, they will try.

Similar to @Flatbush Flyer I was born in Brooklyn and I was taught that when its your money, you should not hesitate ( within reason) to at least try and get what you want.  Worst they can do is say no.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Just off Regatta.  GDR breakfast still has lamb chop.  Enjoyed them many days, will cook to your preference.

GDR breakfast, a more relaxed experience, and lots to choose from.

I love the GDR for breakfast, too. My husband says I get too spoiled on our Oceania cruises. They place the serviette in my lap for me, bring round the pastry tray, get me another cappuccino (I got in the habit of bringing in one from Bartista's whilst on the Insignia)... Overall, a lovely way to start the day.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Croooser said:

We really liked the ship but found it overcrowded - gave up on the shows - what a goat rodeo trying to get a seat. We did eat in Eden for dinner twice and it's the best that we have ever had at sea.

Warning: Entertainment and activities are not the strong suit of O IMO. However, it is way less crowded and we think the food is overall quite a bit better.

We are heading on our 6th O cruise with a 7th scheduled next year after becoming somewhat of  X refugees. However, the airfare program is nowhere near what Celebrity offers and the SM program is a negative for us. Trying Seabourn for the first time next year. Cruise line of choice is definitely a first world problem.

We much prefer the S class on Celebrity.  

We did enjoy the Rooftop Grill on Apex, much more than Lawn Club on the S class.

Entertainment is not a major factor for us, though I was impressed with many of the shows in the theater.  We generally like to sit as far back as possible, makes it easier to slip out during the show if it's not to our liking.  Not really concerned about that on Oceania. 

Would love to try Seabourn sometime too.....yes definitely first world problems.

• Like 1