Paper Boarding Pass

JTBCruiser

13 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

A good number of years ago, after airlines had started issuing electronic boarding passes, I started a thread pondering when cruise lines would follow suit. Wow, talk about being flamed! The majority of posters were adamantly opposed to the idea and didn't hold back expressing their opinion.

With this current thread, there remain a number of people who continue to prefer paper boarding passes, but there appears to have been a huge shift in favour of electronic passes. Good to see the progress.

Early on I had a lot of issues with mobile boarding passes actually working. In the last couple years, I've had more issues with printed boarding passes actually working (especially at TSA) and had to scan the mobile one instead.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

With this current thread, there remain a number of people who continue to prefer paper boarding passes, but there appears to have been a huge shift in favour of electronic passes. Good to see the progress.

Now, if I could only use my smart phone to make phone calls....

• Haha 2

I didn't mention this, but I printed my boarding pass and laminated it, on both sides.  I also have it available on my phone.  I take no chances.  So, I just pissed off folks on both sides of the issue.  

The laminated boarding pass (and jab record when they were required) are inside my passport and my passport in hand as I approach the security and final check-in folks. If I need the electronic version, it is in my pocket.  

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

As are many paper users.  The reality is life is going paperless.  The sooner those who are uncomfortable with tech get comfortable the better.  

You need to get on the train or be left at the station.

My Sams Club card broke in half. Went to customer service and they said they do not issue cards anymore. Had to do it on your phone. Just another example.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

Are you using the app or are you logging in to your C&A account on a computer? The screen I grabbed only shows up if you are going into their website to log in to your C&A Account and log in from this screen:

Capture.JPG

Orville, did you actually READ my posts?  YES, I have ALWAYS been able to get the print pass screen on my computer!!!  I now can't get it.  I'm saying, maybe this is what RCL is going to do going forward, or maybe it is just Baltimore.  Anyway, Wineaux told me to take a screen shot of my app boarding pass and send it to my printer, so I'm good!

8 minutes ago, alex_drew said:

Orville, did you actually READ my posts?  YES, I have ALWAYS been able to get the print pass screen on my computer!!!  I now can't get it.  I'm saying, maybe this is what RCL is going to do going forward, or maybe it is just Baltimore.  Anyway, Wineaux told me to take a screen shot of my app boarding pass and send it to my printer, so I'm good!

Yes, I read your posts, and since I also have a RCL cruise leaving on the same date and can print my boarding pass they way I illustrated, I presumed you were using a different approach. Sorry for trying to be helpful…

38 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Yes, I read your posts, and since I also have a RCL cruise leaving on the same date and can print my boarding pass they way I illustrated, I presumed you were using a different approach. Sorry for trying to be helpful…

Are you going on Vision out of Baltimore?

20 hours ago, molly361 said:

I'm old I love paper😱

AND I HAVE been behind those people that can't pull up their boarding passes on their phones  at the airport 

I can't speak to cruise boarding.   But at Disney World entrance gates, I learned to avoid any line with a family and a parent with a phone out.   The barcodes just wouldn't scan quickly and then the parent had to take the phone back after every scan to bring up the next barcode and then at least once they'd accidentally swipe past someone, so someone wouldn't be scanned then they'd have to figure out which person hadn't been scanned and then find their online ticket.   We aren't talking about big families but two parents and two kids, and these are the ones that thought they were prepared with the app up..   I never once saw a family using the app getting through more quickly than we did using the cards.   A group where everyone had their phone ready, they were fine.  

• Like 2

On 9/23/2023 at 10:27 AM, JTBCruiser said:

I checked in but it didn't give me the option of picking a boarding time.  We are 43 days out.

Just got of the phone with C&A and apparently their IT department made a change to the system that put the Arrival time selection at "30 days out or sometimes 15 days out depending on the cruise" (and yes, that is a direct quote.)🤪

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 6:20 PM, reallyitsmema said:

I wish the guy ahead of us at Cape Liberty understood that concept.  We were in the suite holding area when they announced boarding was starting.  We were in the front row and got up and headed towards the door, as everyone else was doing.  This guy came flying by everyone, dragging a couple of kids and got to the door first.  He then turned around and asked everyone to move aside so the rest of his group could catch up.  Only about another 15 or so.  He then started to pull out set sail passes from a folder.  The second door then opened but the lady at the first door asked him to step aside to let those that were ready pass, he didn't move.  The person at the second door motioned for us to go over to her and many followed.  We showed our set sail passes on our iphones and off we went. 

Sounds like his issue was lack of preparedness and general rudeness, not paper vs. digital pass.  

On 9/24/2023 at 7:34 AM, Tree_skier said:

As are many paper users.  The reality is life is going paperless.  The sooner those who are uncomfortable with tech get comfortable the better.  

Don't assume that people who prefer to print their passes aren't comfortable with tech.  It's just a preference for this particular situation.  

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Sounds like his issue was lack of preparedness and general rudeness, not paper vs. digital pass.  

Don't assume that people who prefer to print their passes aren't comfortable with tech.  It's just a preference for this particular situation.  

Nailed it. Personally I prefer paper backup when technology is down or failing to connect when needed 

• Like 4

On 9/23/2023 at 7:35 PM, Ret MP said:

It never fails for me, I get behind someone at a toll booth, ATM, Cashier, whatever and the people in front of me or a few ahead of me just don't realize that it takes money, credit card, or other document to get by.  Then he has to get his wallet out of his back pocket and fiddle with it for what seems like an eternity OR she has to rummage through a purse that is as full as the NYC landfill.  PEOPLE HAVE YOUR STUFF READY.  

Oh, and then there are those that after spending an eternity looking for whatever, the card is declined.  Then there is the arguing about it.  PEOPLE, the attendant/cashier has nothing to do with a card being declined.  It's the bank!  Get out of line and call the bank, the number on the back of the card.  Arguing with the attendant is futile, he/she has nothing to do with it, especially if you swipe, tap, or insert it.  

Are these the people who stare at the McDonald's menu every time? LOL

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Some people seem to forget that our generation invented virtually all of the tech in use today. We not only know all about tech, we also know where all the bodies are buried.😇👴

• Like 2

He was prepared with a folder of all his documents. 

2 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Some people seem to forget that our generation invented virtually all of the tech in use today. We not only know all about tech, we also know where all the bodies are buried.😇👴

LOL

I like to think of myself as a somewhat savvy 72-year-old sexy senior citizen who knows more about tech than most of the 20 - 30-something-year-olds, at least on selective IT items.  Now they may know more about the Snap-Chat ins and outs and so on.  But, I can navigate around the Internet, get apps, troubleshoot many issues, adjust settings in the advanced settings area, and so on.   Oh, and I remember how to dial a dial phone.  

Western Electric Yellow Rotary Dial Phone | Rotary dial phone, Phone ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Now they may know more about the Snap-Chat ins and outs and so on. 

Virtually all of the current social media chat platforms are built on the bones of IBM 370 CMS system Talk function (including the 256 character limitation on some of them) - which we used all the way back in the 3270 remote terminal era (pre trash 80 and AC or Gandolf modems).

4 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Virtually all of the current social media chat platforms are built on the bones of IBM 370 CMS system Talk function (including the 256 character limitation on some of them) - which we used all the way back in the 3270 remote terminal era (pre trash 80 and AC or Gandolf modems).

Ya, what he said!  

Image result for confused emoji

Hey, I say do whatever makes you comfortable but the genesis of this discussion, at least for me, was that paper boarding passes were easier and faster.  Now that the argument has shifted to "I'm comfortable with tech but I want to use paper". I'd say I'm finished with it.  The bottom line is be prepared with whatever tech you choose to use.  Be it with Steve Job's invention or Johannes Gutenberg's.  Don't be that person at the head of the line fumbling about for stuff you know you are supposed to have ready.

• Like 3