Carry on wine and B2B cruises.

BlerkOne

It all depends on whether there is a corkage collection table at the port of embarkation. I haven’t seen one in a while, (but it’s been a while since I sailed out it Port Everglades.). If there is a collection table, you should be able to show the staff your itineraries and get two bottles per person free of charge. But if there isn’t a collection table, just take all of your wine on board and don’t worry about it. In such a circumstance, all bottles that you consume in your cabin will be free and the bottles that you take to a dining venue will be charged a fee. And even then there is a chance that the corkage will be overlooked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I carried on 2 bottles (750ml) & 1 smaller one (375ml) for my last B2B and visited the collection table for the very 1st time. Told them I was on a B2B and the 3rd bottle was also just wine. They just wanted to make sure it wasn't liquor.  No corkage fee charged

(San Pedro 5/27/23)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

How does Princess handle the wine allowance on B2B cruises? Can you carry on 2 bottles of wine pp on the first cruise without being subject to the corkage fee on the second bottle?

Yes.  I once took a lot of wine on a B2B2B.  I had six free bottles for our cabin (wife and I counting).  Since then, have never seen a wine table setup as we arrive quite early.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In San Pedro, we arrived early. Security at the scanners snatched ours before we even got through to the wine table. We had to claim it at the "naughty room" and get it from the F&B Director. Since we were on B2B, we only got tagged for 8 out of the 12 bottles, and he was salivating over a few of the 12 😁

3 minutes ago, jwattle said:

In San Pedro, we arrived early. Security at the scanners snatched ours before we even got through to the wine table. We had to claim it at the "naughty room" and get it from the F&B Director. Since we were on B2B, we only got tagged for 8 out of the 12 bottles, and he was salivating over a few of the 12 😁

You’re on just 1 b2b, 4 bottles total allowed.

So they charged for the 8 extra, $20 corkage fee each?

How early did you board?

Why didn’t they tag you

at the alcohol table, instead of sending you to the naughty room?

35 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

How early did you board?

Why didn’t they tag you

If they arrived early, there wasn't likely a staffed table.  Perhaps security takes action in that case.  Seems a bit heavy-handed, but never been to San Pedro.  Not the only "difficult" thing I have read about processing there.

We have checked in primarily in Port Everglades, but also twice in Civitavecchia and once in Copenhagen.  NP in Europe (seemed to care less at security).  We have also been in San Antonio and B.A. (South American ports) on turnover and not observed anything special in terms of wine grabs.  In Port Everglades, usually beat the wine table.  I recall one time (2018) it was actually there and I had a lot of wine.  Told them I would come back later as wanted to get through check-in and into priority lounge first.  Went back to table later to purchase and collect stickers.  Didn't mind paying the amount of corkage I did pay.  They apportioned the wine across us and our friends (who had nothing), so actually got 12 freebies, IIRC, that time for a B3B.  Most I ever took on a voyage - 2 cases for 60 nights, plus got some more in ports. 

57 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

How early did you board?

Why didn’t they tag you

We arrived before they had a table set up; before they eve started check in. 

14 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

If they arrived early, there wasn't likely a staffed table.  Perhaps security takes action in that case.  Seems a bit heavy-handed, but never been to San Pedro.  Not the only "difficult" thing I have read about processing there.

We have checked in primarily in Port Everglades, but also twice in Civitavecchia and once in Copenhagen.  NP in Europe (seemed to care less at security).  We have also been in San Antonio and B.A. (South American ports) on turnover and not observed anything special in terms of wine grabs.  In Port Everglades, usually beat the wine table.  I recall one time (2018) it was actually there and I had a lot of wine.  Told them I would come back later as wanted to get through check-in and into priority lounge first.  Went back to table later to purchase and collect stickers.  Didn't mind paying the amount of corkage I did pay.  They apportioned the wine across us and our friends (who had nothing), so actually got 12 freebies, IIRC, that time for a B3B.  Most I ever took on a voyage - 2 cases for 60 nights, plus got some more in ports. 

You are correct, and yes, it was heavy-handed, but made up for later 😄

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jwattle said:

We arrived before they had a table set up; before they eve started check in. 

You are correct, and yes, it was heavy-handed, but made up for later 😄

Sometimes there are really new agents In security and they seem to get overly concerned, I think.

What time did you board?

21 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

They must have freaked out with 12 bottles.  
We don’t take that many, but do take what we’re allowed on b2b’s and always have to go to the table. If there’s not one yet, we’ve never had to go to the naughty room.  Just curious how SP handled it.

4 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

They must have freaked out with 12 bottles.  
We don’t take that many, but do take what we’re allowed on b2b’s and always have to go to the table. If there’s not one yet, we’ve never had to go to the naughty room.  Just curious how SP handled it.

I had 24 and it wasn't an event at all. 

6 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

You’re one lucky dude!! 😳

IDK why you say that.  All I meant was that security team had no adverse reaction and the ship's crew manning the wine table did their normal thing.  Three voyages times four guests = 12 free bottles (they did not need to know that our friends were not actually taking possession of six bottles).  At that time (2018), I believe I was charged for $180 in corkage fees (for the other case of 12).  I did not likely pay anything in addition, so that would be lucky I suppose, but also good management.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

You’re one lucky dude!! 😳

Ya! (good management) Maybe it was my approach. I was smiling, shakin' babies kissing hands while lugging a 18x22 rolling case that said "wine travels for free" on it. I shoulda known somethin was afoot when I saw that unshaven burley man, waving a wand around people in front me. Yanked me and my wine buggy out of the line up and took me over to a woman wearing a tie.  I started looking around for my 5'2" body guard. I was thinking, This is it the gigs up.

Edited by c-boy
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

IDK why you say that.  All I meant was that security team had no adverse reaction and the ship's crew manning the wine table did their normal thing.  Three voyages times four guests = 12 free bottles (they did not need to know that our friends were not actually taking possession of six bottles).  At that time (2018), I believe I was charged for $180 in corkage fees (for the other case of 12).  I did not likely pay anything in addition, so that would be lucky I suppose, but also good management.

I wasn’t putting that together with the 2018 trip where you actually paid for the extras.

I was seeing you walk through with 24 and no event!  Guess I was jealous for a minute. 🥴

Anyway, just kidding around.😂

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2023 at 8:57 PM, BlerkOne said:

How does Princess handle the wine allowance on B2B cruises? Can you carry on 2 bottles of wine pp on the first cruise without being subject to the corkage fee on the second bottle?

Carried on One Bottle in my Back Pack.  2 Bottles in Suitcase. Wife 2 Bottles in Suitcase. can drink in Cabin. Bring to Dining Rm. $25 corkage fee. Tough if you drink $10 wines

• Like 1