Princess Plus Questions

The Admiral

9 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Considering the amount of people who have said they didn't like those desserts, I'm very surprised that they haven't changed them to something more palatable. 

I think they are some kind of fad. I've noticed more and more places opening up that serve stuff like that often in touristy contexts. But most people who aren't young kids think they are gross IME.

What I don't get is why is Princess pushing them so much such as offering two of them PER DAY for free. Even if you thought they were awesome, would you be eating two a day? And they look expensive!

6 hours ago, MacMadame said:

What I don't get is why is Princess pushing them so much such as offering two of them PER DAY for free. Even if you thought they were awesome, would you be eating two a day?

Not even one unless you were to just give me a glass of the gelato by itself.

They're not exactly free anyway, but included at $60 per day.

I purchase "Plus" for the Beverage Package, Crew Appreciation and WIFI.  If I use the other items that are included in the Plus fare, then that's a bonus. 

I did have the Premium Desserts a total of three time on a 12 day cruise.  (2 ice cream, and 1 cake.)  I asked the person making the ice cream to leave off all of the lollipops and enhancements - and she was relieved to not have to peel the cellophane off of the lollipops.  If the cruise had been a warm weather cruise, then I might have ordered the Premium ice cream dessert more often.

I will never order the Premium Cake again.  The cake choices were red velvet, black forest and chocolate.  I had the red velvet and it was completely without flavour.

10 hours ago, MacMadame said:

I think they are some kind of fad. I've noticed more and more places opening up that serve stuff like that often in touristy contexts. But most people who aren't young kids think they are gross IME.

What I don't get is why is Princess pushing them so much such as offering two of them PER DAY for free. Even if you thought they were awesome, would you be eating two a day? And they look expensive!

Exactly - they "look" expensive. It is all optics. I'm sure Princess realizes that most people will not only NOT eat two per day, they are likely not to eat more than two per cruise. Sounds like many people don't eat them at all. So it is a classic marketing ploy to enhance the perceived value of a product to help sell it, knowing that in actual practice it will be seriously underutilized. It's bells and whistles.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Exactly - they "look" expensive. It is all optics. I'm sure Princess realizes that most people will not only NOT eat two per day, they are likely not to eat more than two per cruise. Sounds like many people don't eat them at all. So it is a classic marketing ploy to enhance the perceived value of a product to help sell it, knowing that in actual practice it will be seriously underutilized. It's bells and whistles.

Amen

• Like 3

New to Princess - we just booked a January 2025 12-night cruise - and I'm trying to understand the value of the plus package. Plus was about $720 a person more than cruise only for our booking. I decided against it for the time being as I gather more info about the value.

We booked a balcony, so gratuities (at least at today's price) would be $32 for 12 nights ($384). WiFi for two 1-device packages is $30 (so $360 for the cruise). I'm assuming 1 device each means we can use it on multiple devices, just 1 device at a time?

So for the most important stuff (for us), that's $744. That leaves just under $700 for drinks and the other stuff (won't use the fitness class, don't drink juice, I already eat too many desserts on cruises, we decide on extra food purchases as we go - not sure we'd use the casual dining meals, don't need room service). I don't assign much value to that stuff since we don't need it. For easy math, I'll say that stuff is worth $100 just as a buffer for the almost certain price increases on WiFi and gratuities between now and then. So that leaves $600 for drinks, about $50 a day or about three $15 drinks a day.

So for this to make sense for us, we'd need to have at least 4-5 drinks between us a day. Does that sound about right? Am I missing anything (other than, I'm sure, not caring as much about drinking as many other people)?

• Like 2

On 10/3/2023 at 2:33 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

I have a 22 day cruise booked for April which means I'm entitled to 44 of these? I rather trade all 44 for 1 more casual meal at Alfredo's!

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

I justified that it was so close in cost it was easier to know what my spend onboard would be as well as paid for before travel especially on a port intensive trip where I spend lots off money the ship, easier for me to budget the cruise cost. I like lots of water, special tea, husband like fresh juice, we both drink soda and that is without a couple of alcoholic drinks (and I can try new things) with the gratuity and WIfi. Plus, the new casual dining adds another 60 figuring two meals each. I know when I have seen others on CC doing the math the are talking more a ship trip like the Caribbean and wanting to spend more on the ship with adult beverages. For me just the opposite since I never really know what I will spend on port tours and expenses. Just my POV.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PH2 said:

New to Princess - we just booked a January 2025 12-night cruise - and I'm trying to understand the value of the plus package. Plus was about $720 a person more than cruise only for our booking. I decided against it for the time being as I gather more info about the value.

We booked a balcony, so gratuities (at least at today's price) would be $32 for 12 nights ($384). WiFi for two 1-device packages is $30 (so $360 for the cruise). I'm assuming 1 device each means we can use it on multiple devices, just 1 device at a time?

So for the most important stuff (for us), that's $744. That leaves just under $700 for drinks and the other stuff (won't use the fitness class, don't drink juice, I already eat too many desserts on cruises, we decide on extra food purchases as we go - not sure we'd use the casual dining meals, don't need room service). I don't assign much value to that stuff since we don't need it. For easy math, I'll say that stuff is worth $100 just as a buffer for the almost certain price increases on WiFi and gratuities between now and then. So that leaves $600 for drinks, about $50 a day or about three $15 drinks a day.

So for this to make sense for us, we'd need to have at least 4-5 drinks between us a day. Does that sound about right? Am I missing anything (other than, I'm sure, not caring as much about drinking as many other people)?

My only additional point would be that you would have unlimited non-alcohol drinks as well (specialty coffees, bottled water, etc)

• Like 5

On 10/4/2023 at 12:34 PM, MissP22 said:

Just give it to a friend. I'm sure there might be someone who would take it. 

I don't think so.

On 10/4/2023 at 12:52 PM, Lady Arwen said:

I intend to ask someone else in line if they would like them.  I would never eat them and if they could be enjoyed by a fellow passenger, then I’m happy to oblige.

I would think that all of the package food and drink items are for the paying guest and no sharing.

On 10/4/2023 at 2:29 PM, voljeep said:

NO sharing?

In theory.

On 10/4/2023 at 3:13 PM, Lady Arwen said:

Hmmm, I would think that would only apply to alcoholic beverages.  You may be right, though, knowing Princess.  I might have to get one, meet up with the lucky recipient at a preplanned meeting spot, far away from the prying eyes of the dessert police, and nonchalantly pass over the contraband after we share the secret handshake.   Should work.

Obviously, there can be ways around things.  There has been lots of posts about trying to work around the prix fixe option at Alfredo's.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For Princess Plus and Premium you have to do your homework and understand the value for the cost. The Plus is $60/day/person & the Premium is $80/day/person. Per day, minus the gratuities and Wi-Fi and that is what is left for alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks per day. Also, do not confuse Princess Plus & Premium for the Plus & Premium Beverage Package. Two totally different things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

For Princess Plus and Premium you have to do your homework and understand the value for the cost. The Plus is $60/day/person & the Premium is $80/day/person. Per day, minus the gratuities and Wi-Fi and that is what is left for alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks per day. Also, do not confuse Princess Plus & Premium for the Plus & Premium Beverage Package. Two totally different things.

To add - what is left after crew appreciation and WiFi access is not just drinks. It's also specialty dining, casual dining, medallion shipping (US and Canada), exercise classes, premium desserts, reserved seating for production shows (premier), photo package (premier), Princess Prizes (Premier), etc.  

It helps to figure "worth it or not" if you take into account all included, and what portions you may or may not find valuable for you...

It averages out to 3 or less alcoholic drinks a day per person, and less if one partakes of any of the additional items - along with how long of a cruise as some things add much less value over a long cruise versus a short one - such as, 2 specialty dinners per cruise for Premier, but same 2 only for a 14 nighter or a 28 nighter. And so forth... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jwattle said:

My only additional point would be that you would have unlimited non-alcohol drinks as well (specialty coffees, bottled water, etc)

This is something that threw me for a loop when I first started pricing things out. The last times I cruised, everything but alcoholic drinks were included so this is a bit of a change for me.

It seems like almost no drinks are included with Standard except at Breakfast.

• Like 1

A couple of quick questions:

1, The premium desserts- 2 per day, is that per person? Heart attack incoming.

2, Alcohol package is only to a value of $15 per drink right? If the drink is over $15 do you pay the excess or the full amount? Just thinking doubles of whiskeys and stuff might be more.

3, 2 x free casual dinners per person- on the Island Princess there is only Sabatini's and Bayou Cafe- are they both 'casual' or just one of them and one premium?

Out of interest how did people find the OceanNow delivery? Seems obviously a gimmick to me, but wondering others opinions? Can you get food, drinks and anything delivered to anywhere? Haha.

37 minutes ago, Wayfarer9 said:

A couple of quick questions:

1, The premium desserts- 2 per day, is that per person? Heart attack incoming.

2, Alcohol package is only to a value of $15 per drink right? If the drink is over $15 do you pay the excess or the full amount? Just thinking doubles of whiskeys and stuff might be more.

3, 2 x free casual dinners per person- on the Island Princess there is only Sabatini's and Bayou Cafe- are they both 'casual' or just one of them and one premium?

Out of interest how did people find the OceanNow delivery? Seems obviously a gimmick to me, but wondering others opinions? Can you get food, drinks and anything delivered to anywhere? Haha.

1. Yes. You probably will not be able to consume more than 2 per cruise. Very little value.

2. Most drinks are under $15 including most straight spirits. Some better wines are over $15 as are some specialty spirits. If over $15 you are charged the difference + 18%. Example for a $19 drink you will be charges $4.72. Doubles? Some bartenders will charge you for two drinks. You also have the option of just ordering two drinks and pouring them together. No time limit between drinks.

3. Both are specialty restaurants. I'm not certain what casual restaurants are available on the Island Princess. There may be Alfredo's at Sabatini's for lunch.

4. Yes. Delivery anywhere you are including to your cabin. There is a menu of available options. 

• Like 1

PH2. I like to think about the cost as per person per day using by using the benefits that will probably be used while on board. Crew Appreciation = $16. Wifi = $15. Ocean Now & phone room service fee = about $0.75. Casual dining = $2. Total rounded down $33/day. Remainder is $27/day.

Specialty coffees are unlimited as are other non alcoholic beverages, water, juice (breakfast juice is no charge), sodas, mocktails and so on. One specialty coffee is around $5/6. Sodas around $3. Depending on how many non alcoholic beverages you consume the remainder is below $25/day. That amount relates to around 2 to 3 alcoholic beverages per day. Even if you don't consume any non alcoholic beverages and never use the casual dining and Ocean Now it is worth the value. 

8 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

Also, do not confuse Princess Plus & Premium for the Plus & Premium Beverage Package. Two totally different things.

Is it possible to buy these Plus or Premium drinks packages without buying Plus & Premium?  I know Plus comes with the Plus drinks package, and Premium with the Premium, but can they be separated out and if so, what is the cost for just the drinks package?  I don't think I've seen it as an option anywhere to just get these as standalones (maybe a soft-drink only package...)

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I don't think so.

I would think that all of the package food and drink items are for the paying guest and no sharing.

In theory.

Obviously, there can be ways around things.  There has been lots of posts about trying to work around the prix fixe option at Alfredo's.

I’m thinking you may have missed my attempt at levity.  I’m obviously not the funniest person in the room.  Clearly, I need help with my delivery.  So, to ease everyone’s  mind, I don’t intend on sneaking one of those lovely desserts to a child waiting in line.  That would be so very, very  wrong of me.  Slap my wrist for even mentioning it.  For some reason, I assumed my fellow posters were a bit more lighthearted.  Darn it, wrong again!  Sorry if I got everyone in a knot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, p.pete said:

Is it possible to buy these Plus or Premium drinks packages without buying Plus & Premium?  I know Plus comes with the Plus drinks package, and Premium with the Premium, but can they be separated out and if so, what is the cost for just the drinks package?  I don't think I've seen it as an option anywhere to just get these as standalones (maybe a soft-drink only package...)

Yes, but the stand alone beverage packages are more expensive than the fare packages. The Plus beverage package alone is $64.99/day and the Premium is $84.99/day. An 18% service charge is also added to each of them.

I can’t imagine that making sense even if only one passenger in a cabin wants drinks, they are paying $17/day above the Plus fare package. That $17 daily plus $16 crew appreciation for the second passenger plus $15 for internet for the second passenger is $48. For an extra $12 per day both passengers could have the benefits of the Plus fare package. 

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/beverages/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, skynight said:

1. Yes. You probably will not be able to consume more than 2 per cruise. Very little value.

2. Most drinks are under $15 including most straight spirits. Some better wines are over $15 as are some specialty spirits. If over $15 you are charged the difference + 18%. Example for a $19 drink you will be charges $4.72. Doubles? Some bartenders will charge you for two drinks. You also have the option of just ordering two drinks and pouring them together. No time limit between drinks.

3. Both are specialty restaurants. I'm not certain what casual restaurants are available on the Island Princess. There may be Alfredo's at Sabatini's for lunch.

4. Yes. Delivery anywhere you are including to your cabin. There is a menu of available options. 

Thanks for the help. I presume speciality coffees are included in the alcohol deal too with Princess Plus? I'm a big beer and coffee drinker so will EASILY get my monies worth haha.

51 minutes ago, Wayfarer9 said:

Thanks for the help. I presume speciality coffees are included in the alcohol deal too with Princess Plus? I'm a big beer and coffee drinker so will EASILY get my monies worth haha.

Yes, specialty coffee and espresso drinks as well as brewed coffee are included unlimited. If you add alcohol to a coffee drink, such as Irish Coffee, then that counts as one alcoholic beverage. 

3 hours ago, p.pete said:

You can, but you wouldn't. 

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/beverages/

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone for their comments. We have plenty of time to decide but for now, I think I'm going to hold off.

We have only been on 2 other cruises, drastically different. First was a Caribbean cruise on Carnival. Everything was a la carte, so we brought tumblers to fill with water every day, didn't drink pop except maybe once or twice, I think? Had a couple of mixed drinks each on a 6 night cruise - $12 each as I recall. We don't drink coffee just tea, and tea was available in the buffet every morning so we made sure to have our fill when we could. We survived just fine.

Second cruise (just about a month ago) was an Alaska cruise on Celebrity in Retreat. Unlimited everything. We definitely took advantage of that by drinking more and having tea and Cokes whenever we wanted, mainly because we could and we paid for it, so why not get our money's worth?

So, I think we're flexible enough to be happy either way. Wildcard here might be that it's a 12 night cruise and possibly worth getting the package because there's more downtime with sea days and more opportunities to drink and enjoy some of the extras. We specifically booked this cruise to test out how much we might like a longer cruise compared to the standard 6/7 day cruises. Both of those cruises were tons of fun but went so fast. By the time we were ready to relax a bit after 3 port days, it was over.

Anyway, good to think it all through...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MacMadame said:

This is something that threw me for a loop when I first started pricing things out. The last times I cruised, everything but alcoholic drinks were included so this is a bit of a change for me.

It seems like almost no drinks are included with Standard except at Breakfast.

Coffee (non-specialty), ice tea, and lemonade are available anytime in the buffet, along with water. You can bring a refillable bottle and fill it up there. Also, you may bring a twelve-pack/pp of non-alcoholic beverages onboard (soda/pop, seltzer, etc.) and keep in your room refrigerator.