Explora 1 Naming Ceremony

Lord Haw Haw

On 10/7/2023 at 10:42 PM, kidless said:

In Italy 13 is not unlucky or bad. Italians fear Friday the 17th. 

Maybe - but there’s no Deck 13 on Explora 1

and they claim they don’t provide umbrellas in the suites as it’s unlucky for someone to open them inside (they’re available for use ashore at the gangway)

Sounds like they have plenty of superstitions to me…

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Occasional Duck said:

That's my oldest sister's name!

I thought this topic meant that the working name was Explora 1 and they were going to create some buzz yesterday by unveiling the real name.

I'm not crazy about the name "Journeys" either as opposed to Cruise Line.

As others have noted, they don't think it is a Cruise Line – it's a luxury Hotel that happens to be located on the water.  [Why they think that's a good marketing idea is a mystery to me – don't they know that the mega-ships are denigrated as "floating apartment blocks"?  But it really does seem that their target audience is young people who equate cruising with owning a minivan...]

Also, they couldn't name it the Silvia Earle because Aurora Expeditions named a ship after her last year.  She gets around!!!

4 hours ago, Waltershipman said:

I was on the original Renaissance and recall rhe beds were not comfortable 

If you mean the 100 passenger ones, I don’t remember uncomfortable beds. I remember they didn’t triple-sheet the beds! I had to request it specifically.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, May B said:

If you mean the 100 passenger ones, I don’t remember uncomfortable beds. I remember they didn’t triple-sheet the beds! I had to request it specifically.

I've sailed on one of those* four times lately, and the beds are now perfectly comfortable.  Couldn't tell you how many sheets I had – fell asleep too quickly to notice!  

* Renaissance VII, now sailing as Noble Caledonia Hebridean Sky and just as nice as she ever was!

6 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I've sailed on one of those* four times lately, and the beds are now perfectly comfortable.  Couldn't tell you how many sheets I had – fell asleep too quickly to notice!  

* Renaissance VII, now sailing as Noble Caledonia Hebridean Sky and just as nice as she ever was!

When renaissance went out of business, the companies that acquired the ships changed the bedding and they were excellent

30 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

When renaissance went out of business, the companies that acquired the ships changed the bedding and they were excellent

Your post makes me think that @May B's subtle hint was right:  you're not talking about the "original" Renaissance ships (ca. 1990, ca. 100 passengers), but about their second generation "R-ships" (ca. 2000, ca. 700 passengers, now sailing for Azamara and Oceania).  By the time Renaissance went out of business, they had already sold off the first-gen ships (to finance the new ones).  As nice as the R-ships are, I prefer the older "Renaissance" ships for their classic nautical styling and ability to get into the smallest ports.

12 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Your post makes me think that @May B's subtle hint was right:  you're not talking about the "original" Renaissance ships (ca. 1990, ca. 100 passengers), but about their second generation "R-ships" (ca. 2000, ca. 700 passengers, now sailing for Azamara and Oceania).  By the time Renaissance went out of business, they had already sold off the first-gen ships (to finance the new ones).  As nice as the R-ships are, I prefer the older "Renaissance" ships for their classic nautical styling and ability to get into the smallest ports.

Yes i was referring to R ships. I was on it originally with Renaissance and subsequently with both Azamara and Oceania.  Most recently a PH on Sirena which had been recently renovated and it was great and much larger. 

Just now, Waltershipman said:

Yes i was referring to R ships. I was on it originally with Renaissance and subsequently with both Azamara and Oceania.  Most recently a PH on Sirena which had been recently renovated and it was great and much larger. 

PH (Oceania) and Continent Suite (Azamara) are the minimum size for us on those ships.  But for longer cruises the aft-facing OS (Oceania) and CW (Azamara) are really sweet!

Almost all cabins on the first-gen Renaissance ships are ~215 sq. ft. (plus an additional 60 sq. ft. for those with verandas).  The Veranda cabins on the newer R-ships ships are only 175 sq. ft plus 40 sq. ft. verandas.

• Like 2