Geiranger

dbjhughes

I am keen to get to Geirangerfjord and Geiranger on a cruise before cruise ships are pretty much banned there in 2025. I have been keeping track of which cruise lines have been pulling out of their planned stops there (? for what reason, presumably cost). I am aware P&O's Iona has a patchy history of going there, and Cunard's Queen Victoria cancelled both of its calls there this year. I am therefore understandably looking elsewhere. Can anyone with first-hand knowledge please let me know whether Princess' calls there over the past couple of years have gone ahead as planned, and if not why not? Many thanks.

We are booked for a Fjords cruise in April 2024 and Geraingerfjord/Gerainger was part of the itinerary.

Unfortunately I had an email from Princess to say that due to road closures in the area at that time the stop there has been cancelled.

I'm not certain how long the road closures will be for, but I believe that Geraingerfjord is a regular stopping point for Princess 

We've been trying to plan a Norway cruise for 2025 and the only cruise line that I could find that does Geirangerfjord is MSC.  Not our first choice of cruise line but for Geirangerfjord we'll do it.  Of course, there is no guarantee that won't change before we cruise.   😞   

Guest Snaxmuppet

I booked on Sky Princess for the end of April 2024 to go to Geiranger but that has now been pulled (same cruise as @jdacombe ?). It is a pity because although I have been to Norway many times and on several cruises I have never been to Geiranger and so I booked this cruise with the expectation to see it. I know itineraries change and so I can't really complain especially this far out but I am hugely disappointed.

I have looked into cancelling but we paid a large deposit (mostly FCC left over from us getting covid on a September 2022 cruise) and so we can cancel but we will lose a lot of that FCC and some cash. We have decided to do the cruise anyway. It is still a great fjords cruise even without Geiranger.

We visited Geiranger on the Pacific Princess in 2018. Made it into port with no problems. What a spectacular cruise in the fjords too. Definitely the most scenic we've been on.

Notice I said we made it into port without problems. Leaving that evening we were having dinner as the ship started sailing out. All of a sudden it felt like the brakes went on HARD. I was surprised we didn't spill our drinks.

Seems the anchor was jammed in some rocks on the sea floor. I don't understand why we were already in motion when they found that out. Anyway with some moving back and forth they actually broke the rock, hauling up the anchor with a large part of the rock still attached. Definitely a new experience for me.

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

Seems the anchor was jammed in some rocks on the sea floor. I don't understand why we were already in motion when they found that out. Anyway with some moving back and forth they actually broke the rock, hauling up the anchor with a large part of the rock still attached. Definitely a new experience for me.

Funny!

We were just there in August 2023 (on HAL Rotterdam, sailing from Amsterdam).  Greatest place we've ever visited on any ship.  Just stunning.  It was a bucket list thing for me. If you are physically capable, get on a RIB boat tour (we booked an independent tour).  It was great and allowed us to get close to the cliffs, and waterfalls. I can't emphasize enough how stunning and beautiful the fjords are. Act fast, Norway is looking to halt fuel driven ships into some of the fjords.  Only those with full electric (Hybrid) will be allowed. Havila lines has already started sailing hybrid electric ships.  We saw one in Bergen that was just launched and one sailed into Geiranger while we were there.

• Like 1

We are on the 8 day- Sky May 24, 2024 cruise.  Geiranger remains on the itinerary.  I had read about the April cancellation on another site. This was about a month ago. 

I would  maybe ask your question on this forum.  There is an active poster who seems to have a lot of knowledge.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-amp-baltic-sea/

I agree to go as soon as you can.  I’m on a roll call for the May cruise that already has about 120 members, mostly UK citizens. I believe there is also an August 7 day on the Sky. 

Yes, really disappointed that Geraingerfjord has been cancelled on our cruise next April, it was one of the places that I was mostly looking forward to. Although Alesund is a lovely place we've already been there and it doesn't really make up for this loss of location

On 10/5/2023 at 3:27 PM, jdacombe said:

We are booked for a Fjords cruise in April 2024 and Geraingerfjord/Gerainger was part of the itinerary.

Unfortunately I had an email from Princess to say that due to road closures in the area at that time the stop there has been cancelled.

I'm not certain how long the road closures will be for, but I believe that Geraingerfjord is a regular stopping point for Princess 

Went thus year on a Holland America cruise in late May.  Our shore excursion was changed and shortened as one of the roads was closed due to snow.  Impossible to predict.  Later in the year is better as snow less likely.  In recent years the port has not opened till early May.  Fully open about June 1st 

Edited by Arizona Wildcat