Experience with adjoining rooms

Yehootu

We are on first cruise where we have a mid forward cabin, our go to cabin is the most rear mini on deck 8 on a Grand class ship.. We are on a Royal Class ship now and will be on one on our next cruise. We are liking this location, and will decide after our TA if we'd like to change to this  location.

Our next cruise is 40 days and we have a mid aft mini booked and it's an adjoining room. Have read some negative comments about adjoining rooms. Don't think this length  of cruise will have ,any kids onboard so not much worry about that. Just wonder about general noise and anyones experiences

Depending on how noisy your neighbors are, sometimes that adjoining door doesn't block the sounds. 

Plus if they like sailing with their balcony door open you'll get a whistling sound under the door when they keep it open. 

• Like 3

We've had noisy neighbors with non-connecting rooms and not hearing a peep from the people in a connecting room.

I'd like to think those who can afford the time and money for a 40 day cruise are also the type that are more considerate of others and likely to content themselves with quiet pursuits than a three night bacchanal sailing, or a family with young kids acting out.

Edited by mtnesterz

25 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

I'd like to think those who can afford the time and money for a 40 day cruise are also the type that are more considerate of others and likely to content themselves with quiet pursuits than a three night bacchanal sailing, or a family with young kids acting out.

Agreed!

59 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

We've had many adjoining rooms, and it's very convenient. 

Yes, if you have family members or friends next-door then it is convenient. I’ve had an adjoining cabin with my friends who are light sleepers, and I was afraid to turn my TV on late at night for fear of waking them.  On that cruise ship, the TV was right next to the adjoining cabin door.

8 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Yes, if you have family members or friends next-door then it is convenient. I’ve had an adjoining cabin with my friends who are light sleepers, and I was afraid to turn my TV on late at night for fear of waking them.  On that cruise ship, the TV was right next to the adjoining cabin door.

We keep the doors open since our kids are there. 

BTW, your TV has closed captioning. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Thanks 1

Not a fan as you can hear talking and the tv from the stateroom next door.  We have done it once on a ship because I booked last minute and just like a hotel, won't book an adjoining room again.  We could hear their TV very early in the morning as the tv was by the door.  Lovely and considerate people, we just ran on different schedules. 

• Like 5

We really had a bad experience a few cruises ago with an adjoining cabin. A couple who apparently didn't like each other and their teenagers who apparently didn't like either of them! 😱 But as mentioned in previous replies, it really does depend on who your 'adjoiners' are. I bet you'll have a wonderful time and sincerely hope you do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you! I never thought of turning on the closed captioning.

11 minutes ago, waltd said:

Its amazing how much sound from  very loud snoring comes through those doors.   Can't very well tell  them to turn it off.   LOL

After 40yrs of airline flying my hearing isn't what it should be, I'm  also  concerned about my neighbors being able to hear my loud TV. As for snoring, I at least have that fixed with my Bipap machine😀

Mahalo for all the input. I'll wait and see how the seas on the TA are being forward on the ship. We've been in very rough seas full aft and enjoyed it, wondering what a forward experience will be like.

17 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

After 40yrs of airline flying my hearing isn't what it should be, I'm  also  concerned about my neighbors being able to hear my loud TV. As for snoring, I at least have that fixed with my Bipap machine😀

Mahalo for all the input. I'll wait and see how the seas on the TA are being forward on the ship. We've been in very rough seas full aft and enjoyed it, wondering what a forward experience will be like.

I love Royal Class ships. The Discovery is my favorite one. I hope you come back and report how your cruise went. Enjoy! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

Like riding a Bronco!  😜

It is different for sure.  If it’s really rough, it feels like the front

is slapping down on the waves. Kinda like turbulence, which you know about.

If it’s the Regal, she handles it very well.  Roughest weather was UK to Azores in a storm and then the TA was fine.  Life is like a box of chocolates, never know what you’re gonna get!  😆

Have fun!

• Like 1

After years of business travel, I avoid all adjoining rooms.  It may be fine, it may not. I think it depends on your neighbors.  I have very sensitive hearing and many a nights sleep has been ruined by noise from the next room, most of it innocent. No matter how well the ship is constructed, noise can leak from cabin to cabin.  The adjoining door is a particularly weak spot. Maybe some lines/ships have addressed it better than others, but I’m not willing to take the chance. And since it’s shown on deck plans, they are easy to avoid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1