Coffee with Cruise Director & Asst. General Hotel Manager - Noordam

Roz

I was recently on the Noordam - Sept. 17 - Oct. 1, 2023 - for a 14 day Alaskan cruise.  One day I attended a morning coffee session with the cruise director and the asst. general hotel manager.  Here are some tidbits of information I think my fellow HAL cruisers may find interesting:

• HAL is listening to its passengers and is reinstalling libraries on its ships.  The Noordam's was under construction next to the Explorations Cafe on Deck 3.  It was being stocked the day we debarked.  
  • HAL is emphasizing career development for its crew with an eye towards retention.  It's also expanding the nationalities onboard.  The university in Jakarta is fully up and running, and HAL has relationships with universities in Malaysia and Thailand.  Crew are being encouraged to expand their skill set and advance their education in order to move up the career ladder.
  • The contract and affiliate fees for Lincoln Center Stage, America's Test Kitchen, Rolling Stone Lounge, etc., along with port fees and taxes, are increasingly expensive.  HAL hopes to bring back LCS and ATK in some form, but they will be called something different.  
  • Production shows and a ship band (remember the HAL Cats?) will be gradually brought back.  One of the obstacles to doing this is that the musicians and performers that appear in the World Stage, Rolling Stone Lounge, and Billboard Onboard onboard can't perform in other venues according to the terms of their contract.  
  • In the opinion of the asst. general hotel manager, Vista class is the ideal size of ship, but bigger is the direction the industry is going.  Large ships can't sail many of the unique itineraries  HAL is known for
  • The Navigator app needs improvement (duh! 😉) and should be able to provide passengers with more info before they board the ship.  The goal is to reduce paper costs.  The average 7-day cruise uses $65,000 of printing and paper, and most of it goes unread.  I wish HAL good luck with this. 😁  My cruise had very elderly passengers, and their lack of basic computer and phone knowledge was noticeable.  I tried to help more than one person that was struggling, but there appeared a general reluctance to embrace technology.  For instance, I explained to one lady that the reason her Navigator didn't work was that the OS was too old.  She replied that her phone was only 7 yrs. old 🙄 and she shouldn't have to buy a new one.  I had to buy a new phone when the Navigator app, my banking app, and my Hilton app would no longer work.  It was the universe telling me it was time for an update.  
Edited by Roz
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 19

That's great news about the HAL Cats!  I miss the ships having their own band at sail away parties, etc.  Great memories.  Also agree with that manager that Vista is the "perfect size" - I hope our four vista ships can keep going for a while. They are pushing 20!!! I sailed on all four of them, while not on their maiden voyages, pretty darn soon after, and they remain my favorites.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Never heard of an assistant  general hotel manager, is that a new position?

Yes, started just over a year ago. They added a position for the Guest Relations Manager to move up to. Many that are in this position were once Guest Relation Managers. They then from there can get promotion to Hotel Manager.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The only reason I upgraded my phone last spring was because I found out my phone's OS was too old for the Navigator app to work. Good thing I tried installing the app before we left, or I would have been in bad shape. They were no longer issuing paper shore excursion tickets, everything had to be done thru the app. 🙃 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tregatti said:

They were no longer issuing paper shore excursion tickets, everything had to be done thru the app.

If you don't have the Navigator app, your keycard will be scanned when you join a shore excursion. You can access info via a laptop/tablet and/or the TV.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

If you don't have the Navigator app, your keycard will be scanned when you join a shore excursion. You can access info via a laptop/tablet and/or the TV.

Oooh, good to know! Thanks for the tip! 

4 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

I tried to explain that to a couple of people on my recent cruise, but they preferred to scream and yell and jump up and down at Guest Services.  I feel so sorry for the staff that have to work that desk.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 10/6/2023 at 1:59 PM, Roz said:

I was recently on the Noordam - Sept. 17 - Oct. 1, 2023 - for a 14 day Alaskan cruise.  One day I attended a morning coffee session with the cruise director and the asst. general hotel manager.  Here are some tidbits of information I think my fellow HAL cruisers may find interesting:

• HAL is listening to its passengers and is reinstalling libraries on its ships.  The Noordam's was under construction next to the Explorations Cafe on Deck 3.  It was being stocked the day we debarked.  
  •  
  • The contract and affiliate fees for Lincoln Center Stage, America's Test Kitchen, Rolling Stone Lounge, etc., along with port fees and taxes, are increasingly expensive.  HAL hopes to bring back LCS and ATK in some form, but they will be called something different.  

I just got off the Noordam on Sunday after my first cruise on this ship.  The library is open and it's lovely, not as big as they used to be but certainly adequate.  

I don't care what they call it, but I really miss the live classical performers, it was one of the things that originally attracted me to HAL.

While I enjoyed our cruise (Vancouver to San Diego) the Noordam ranks at the bottom of my list for HAL.  Everything was just okay, not up to the par I am accustomed to on HAL.  Kudos to the cleaning staff, the ship was immaculate but there's nothing they can do about rusted-out door frames.   The food tended toward the bland, I've never encountered that before on a HAL ship.  Breakfast in the dining room inevitably arrived at the table lukewarm, day after day.  The Lido wasn't much better, not to mention confusing.  There was only one station that would poach eggs but it was a needle-in-a-haystack event to find that one, everyone kept pointing "over there", with no specificity.

We booked very last minute, just the week before departure, and it was really cheap so overall we got value for our money, but I won't be on the Noordam again.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 7:35 AM, euro cruiser said:

I just got off the Noordam on Sunday after my first cruise on this ship.  The library is open and it's lovely, not as big as they used to be but certainly adequate.  

I don't care what they call it, but I really miss the live classical performers, it was one of the things that originally attracted me to HAL.

While I enjoyed our cruise (Vancouver to San Diego) the Noordam ranks at the bottom of my list for HAL.  Everything was just okay, not up to the par I am accustomed to on HAL.  Kudos to the cleaning staff, the ship was immaculate but there's nothing they can do about rusted-out door frames.   The food tended toward the bland, I've never encountered that before on a HAL ship.  Breakfast in the dining room inevitably arrived at the table lukewarm, day after day.  The Lido wasn't much better, not to mention confusing.  There was only one station that would poach eggs but it was a needle-in-a-haystack event to find that one, everyone kept pointing "over there", with no specificity.

We booked very last minute, just the week before departure, and it was really cheap so overall we got value for our money, but I won't be on the Noordam again.

Y'know, I had my first cruise on a Vista-class ship (Zuiderdam) last year.  Expand my signature 😉

My observations agree with yours, particularly about the food being bland and unusually disappointing room service.  I think that's weird, both of us being unhappy with our first experience on individual Vista-class ships. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AV8rix said:

Y'know, I had my first cruise on a Vista-class ship (Zuiderdam) last year.  Expand my signature 😉

My observations agree with yours, particularly about the food being bland and unusually disappointing room service.  I think that's weird, both of us being unhappy with our first experience on individual Vista-class ships. 

Especially since they use the Zuiderdam for the world and other grand and special voyages. I was on it for 199 days earlier this year and never found the food to be bland. In fact, the ship and crew were great! Now I'm on the Zaandam for 86 days and it's in super shape as well. Obviously I like being on a dam ship.

• Like 6

I have been on the Zuiderdam (2011, 2022, 2023), the Rotterdam (old one in 2012, new one in 2023), the Eurodam (2013 and 2017), the Veendam (2016), the Amsterdam (2017), and the Nieuw Amsterdam (2019) prior to the Noordam last week.  

The Noordam simply doesn't live up to the quality of the rest of the fleet.  

59 minutes ago, WriterOnDeck said:

Especially since they use the Zuiderdam for the world and other grand and special voyages. I was on it for 199 days earlier this year and never found the food to be bland. In fact, the ship and crew were great! Now I'm on the Zaandam for 86 days and it's in super shape as well. Obviously I like being on a dam ship.

Well, shucks.  Guess you didn’t, ummm, expand my signature.  I’ve sailed on 11 HAL ships, about 25 voyages, with 42 B2B2B2B days on Koningsdam coming up next month.  So it should be apparent that I also like “being on a dam ship”.

I have never yet in 13 years on CC made a complaint about room service or bland food – and I didn’t even after disembarking Zuiderdam last year.  Not my style.  It’s just that the post about those two specific complaints with regard to Noordam sort of struck a chord and reminded me that I had experienced exactly the same disappointments on Zuiderdam and so I replied to that post.

But then I’ve never been on a GWV or any other Grand.  I guess we Dallas County plebes don’t inhabit the same financial universe as you Collin County folk.

Thanks for posting this - very interesting. We've only sailed on HAL twice - Noordam earlier this year & NS back in July. Whilst NS is newer & shiner we preferred Noordam as the smaller size & proper promenade deck where not only can you walk but sit & take in the views as you sail along. We found the food to be good, no queuing for the MDR & excellent service from all the staff. Yes, it's showing its age a bit but for us it is the perfect size & we've booked to be on Noordam again next year.

• Like 3

The thing is that the crew constantly changes, including the Hotel Manager and Executive Chef.  So the bland food and disappointing room service the Noordam had on a recent cruise will not be the same on the Noordam in the future, simply because there may be a better (or worse) chef or hotel manager at that time.  So I don't understand avoiding a particular ship for that reason.  The chef you had on the Noordam may be the chef on the next ship you cruise on so you may suffer the same bland food. 

I can understand avoiding a certain class of ships (or cruise line) because one prefers certain amenities over others but not something like food that depends on the crew to make it tasty and deliver it at the temperature it's supposed to be served at and in a timely manner.  JMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I found only the lightest dusting of salt can perk up favors that seem initially bland. They are doing us a favor not over-salting up front.

Loved the "distant land" offerings in the Lido and the highlighted "crew food" options in the MDR  on the Noordam recently. Plus the Lido sushi was actually pretty good this time, much fresher.  Food was just fine on the Noordam. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I too just got off the Noordam on the Vancouver -- San Diego itinerary, with an upgrade to a Signature Suite.  We ran into a couple of rather interesting experiences:

1.  We always order room service without incident or complaint however, whoever is filling the orders on this ship needs a refresher.  Sugar for coffee for two was served in the small bowl that on other ships is used for jam or butter, which worked out to be about a tablespoon.  We usually are given the container with the spout (that is always clogged due to humidity 😏).  Jam was served in disposable plastic packaging 😳 and butter was one tiny pat -- not enough for the amount of pastries that come with the Continental Breakfast.  Cereal didn't include the milk.  Now this wasn't just a one off -- someone in the galley having a bad day -- but every morning something in the order was deficient no matter how many number servings we put in the little box on the order card.

2.  Okay, there is always a tote bag in the stateroom, right?  I was going to need one as we had the Thermal pass and deliberately didn't pack my own tote.  There was no tote to be found. When we asked our Stateroom Attendant to please get us one he told us that HAL wasn't giving them out this trip.  Say what?!  He suggested we go to Guest Services and ask for one.  I did, and was told the same thing, but the Clerk said that he'd ask his Manager.  The next morning our Stateroom Attendant knocked on our door and presented us with two tote bags!  Now these weren't the ordinary blue recycled bags but canvas 150-year anniversary commemorative canvas tote bags!  He also insisted that we keep two.  So, THAT was strange.  Hasn't the whole of 2023 been the 150-year anniversary?  We never got this canvas bag on our earlier-in-the-year cruise, why now?  (We got tiles but no bag.) Strange.  Oh, and during the rest of the week I never saw anyone else carrying an awesome canvas 150-year anniversary tote bag!

Despite these two weird things our Noordam trip was enjoyable.  Any trip is enjoyable!  We're lucky to be able to travel, cruise and have someone else cook, clean, make our bed and do laundry for us.  It's all in your perspective, I guess.

• Like 1

I had the same thing happen with the bags.  I went to Guest Services and they claimed to know nothing about it, they just called my cabin steward and dumped it on him.  He found two of them somewhere and they were in the room when we got back from dinner.

While management and crew do change over time (the captain, who was somewhat perfunctory in his daily comments all week suddenly came to life on Saturday when he announced that he too was getting off the ship and heading home from San Diego), I find that the overall tone of the organization remains.  Each ship creates its own atmosphere and culture, which survives personnel changes over time, unless someone at the top makes a concerted effort to change it. 

Still, as above I enjoyed the cruise.  I just won't repeat on the Noordam because I've seen how other ships within the fleet do it better.

Edited by euro cruiser

I can remember a few years ago before Covid when we kept hearing that the Noordam then in Alaska would be going into dry dock on a certain date.  That date kept changing as other ships took precedence.  Since then I have considered the Noordam the “workhorse of the fleet’.  I like the layout of the ship and it has been one of my favorites for Alaska.   A hardy ship for the Alaska waters!

Edited by oaktreerb
  • Like 1

Spent two weeks on the Noordam in August - everyone has different experiences and opinions.

Handsdown my favourite HAL cruise ( three star Mariner here). Loved everything about the Noordam except for the red Italian sauces - my only minor complaint! 

Just go with an open mind and formulate your own opinion - everyone’s opinion - whether positive or negative is their own, and should not shape your decisions or opinions in any way, shape, or form.

That being said be sure to partake in the De Lijn gin - truly the best gin ( in MY opinion) that I have ever had.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chinook Wind said:

I too just got off the Noordam on the Vancouver -- San Diego itinerary, with an upgrade to a Signature Suite.  We ran into a couple of rather interesting experiences:

1.  We always order room service without incident or complaint however, whoever is filling the orders on this ship needs a refresher.  Sugar for coffee for two was served in the small bowl that on other ships is used for jam or butter, which worked out to be about a tablespoon.  We usually are given the container with the spout (that is always clogged due to humidity 😏).  Jam was served in disposable plastic packaging 😳 and butter was one tiny pat -- not enough for the amount of pastries that come with the Continental Breakfast.  Cereal didn't include the milk.  Now this wasn't just a one off -- someone in the galley having a bad day -- but every morning something in the order was deficient no matter how many number servings we put in the little box on the order card.

2.  Okay, there is always a tote bag in the stateroom, right?  I was going to need one as we had the Thermal pass and deliberately didn't pack my own tote.  There was no tote to be found. When we asked our Stateroom Attendant to please get us one he told us that HAL wasn't giving them out this trip.  Say what?!  He suggested we go to Guest Services and ask for one.  I did, and was told the same thing, but the Clerk said that he'd ask his Manager.  The next morning our Stateroom Attendant knocked on our door and presented us with two tote bags!  Now these weren't the ordinary blue recycled bags but canvas 150-year anniversary commemorative canvas tote bags!  He also insisted that we keep two.  So, THAT was strange.  Hasn't the whole of 2023 been the 150-year anniversary?  We never got this canvas bag on our earlier-in-the-year cruise, why now?  (We got tiles but no bag.) Strange.  Oh, and during the rest of the week I never saw anyone else carrying an awesome canvas 150-year anniversary tote bag!

Despite these two weird things our Noordam trip was enjoyable.  Any trip is enjoyable!  We're lucky to be able to travel, cruise and have someone else cook, clean, make our bed and do laundry for us.  It's all in your perspective, I guess.

150 th anniversary totes and tiles on my Noordam b2b in August