May cruise to Alaska

LARGIN

I have done May and September cruises to Alaska.  I prefer May.  Longer days, "better" weather (warming up rather than cooling down).  Less passengers (maybe).  Alaska is fresh and residents are happy to see you.

Weather is never a factor for me when pick a cruise a year or more out.  Most of my cruises to Alaska have had good weather.  I know that this year, they have had some serious storms.

We love cruising to Alaska in May. Generally less rain and still lots of beautiful snowy mountains. It can be cold but also very temperate as well. Only downside is that salmon aren’t running that early but still plenty of wildlife to be seen. 

We went on April 30 this year. We had never been to Alaska and had a great time, but the weather was mixed. We were able to go on all our excursions. It was just a little rainy in Juneau and Ketchikan. Very nice sunny day in Sitka where we walked around everywhere. We had two beautiful sunny days in Vancouver before the cruise. But the real problem with the weather was sitting on the balcony or walking around the walking track. I was able to walk but it was chilly and windy. Sitting still on the balcony was just too cold even with two coats on. Of course I'm used to 110 degree Phoenix summers. We also didn't see much in the way of whales or dolphins. Maybe later in the season is better? But I don't know what it will be like next year. I'm not complaining. We had a nice time and the weather didn't stop us from enjoying the cruise.

2 hours ago, LARGIN said:

Looking at an early May cruise to Alaska and concerned about the weather, should I be?

A bigger concern for me is how many large ships are in each town on the same day.

Hence early May is often a favourite, as generally fewer of us day trippers in town.

Check out the claalaska website as part of your planning.

We did mid May this year (and had done late Sept a few years ago)--we lucked out both times in weather-- mild temperatures and barely a drizzle. And with the Whitepass Rail train ride in May, we had gorgeous views of snow. 

But you just never know about Alaska weather--it could be pouring rain in June or July too. Just bring lots of layers and plan accordingly. 

And I agree with what Tranquility Base said--better to go in low season, less crowded and also better deals.

If you are planning on touring Denali before or after a May cruise, be aware that (https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/hours.htm) :

Summer: May 20 through mid-September

Summer is the main visiting season. Summer bus service begins May 20 each year, although the entire road is not open to buses until June 8. Transit buses operate through the second week after Labor Day each year. The exact day bus service ends will vary year to year. Sightseeing by bus on Denali's sole road is a major activity in summer.

We've had 2 May Alaska cruises, and the weather couldn't have been more different. The first time, we were in t-shirts, and my wife was in the pool. The second time it was cold, windy, and rainy. Good luck with the weather on your cruise. Either way, it doesn't change what you see. Alaska is just plain amazing.

8 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

A bigger concern for me is how many large ships are in each town on the same day.

Hence early May is often a favourite, as generally fewer of us day trippers in town.

Check out the claalaska website as part of your planning.

Thanks for sharing this website. 5 ships in Juneau on May 22nd. Eek!

We have spent a fair amount of time cruising in Alaska, and I can tell you from experience that the weather conditions can be even less predictable there than in the lower 48.  We have learned to pack layers, including lightweight rainsuits and waterproof shoes, and worst case, when we haven't packed enough heavier clothing, there are always shops in each of the ports of call and we've come home with souvenir Alaska sweatshirts on more than one occasion.  Our bottom-line philosophy is that the weather doesn't change what we do, just what we wear.  Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

I always prefer May and love this time frame. This year I went May 12 and had a great cruise. This was the earliest I've ever gone in May. Usually it's a week or two later. 

Edited by Coral

We have taken two late April/early May cruises to Alaska.  On both of them we were the first or second cruise ship of the season to visit the various ports.

While I do not recall any big storms it can get cold when cruising on open sea.  However, that generalization can hold for any time of year.  The biggest storm I have ever experienced on a cruise was in the Gulf of Alaska in August.

In ports our general experience has been cool weather and light rain is not unusual.  Neither of these has stopped us from walking around or enjoying the ports.  We had an outdoor lunch in Skagway one year.  OK, one year in Ketchikan the float plane excursion that we had booked was cancelled due to light drizzle and low clouds.  We enjoyed walking around the town that day.  Ketchikan is in a rain forest.  Rain happens there.

If your ship is one of the very first of the season to visit a port, you may find that a few businesses have not opened yet at some of the less populated ports.  This has not bothered us.  We have always been able to find things to enjoy.  

As has already been reported early season cruises me beat migrating whales up to Alaska.  However, we have never been on an Alaska cruise and not seen whales.  Whale sightings are a must for Mrs. XBGuy.  One of our AK cruises was a round tripper out of Los Angeles that departed on April 23.  I admit that I was a bit concerned that she might be disappointed.  As is our custom we were enjoying sparkling wine on our balcony during the sailaway,  Shortly after the ship left the channel but well before passing the breakwater that defines the harbor, a humpback surfaced no more than 50 feet from our balcony.  If we want to say that doesn’t count because it wasn’t in Alaska waters, I can report that we saw more whales in Ketchikan an Glacier Bay during that trip.

Bon voyage.  You’re going to have a great time.

14 hours ago, LARGIN said:

Looking at an early May cruise to Alaska and concerned about the weather, should I be?

May in the time I commercial fished in Sitka was the best month.  Sunny and nice about 75% of the days.

Again, if you can accurately predicted the weather 7 months ahead there are lots of high paying jobs out there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Weather may not be an issue, but sailing at the beginning of the season may be spotty for customer service in port. Much of the Alaskan help is seasonal and they are just learning their jobs. Some positions may yet to be filled. I waited until late May and by then port restaurant and excursion people were mostly comfortable in their roles.