Currently onboard Celebrity Edge Sky suite... Not sure if I am impressed.

leyland1989

I am not going to even address the 5 years of pubic hair jammed into the shower drain that were brushing against your bare feet as the water backed up, for fear I will lose my lunch.  But, that stain on the ceiling is absolutely disgusting...I wonder if its some food, or mold, or bacteria, or blood, or maybe somebody's projectile vomit from 3 years ago.  It cannot be healthy to be breathing in the particulate from that toxic waste dump all night long, particularly if you have any sort of respiratory issues.  Candidly, I would rather enjoy a "suite" at Chernobyl for the week.  And the coffee table is just unacceptable on any level.  I am immediately dragging it out to the hallway and calling the room steward and have them take right to the local dump.  Sorry, the filth we cannot see is disturbing enough, but we just hope we have some herd immunity, try to put it out of our minds, and move forward.  But this funk living in plain site, is beyond the pale!  Dude, just no!!  Get them to bring you a hazmat suite and ventilator until that dumpster fire is fumigated, de-loused, and scrubbed from stem to stern.   

Edited by Huddler
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Absolutely disgusting. They turn these rooms so fast they essentially remake the bed and place some items out.  During the cruise they do other maintenance as can. It’s to the point I bring Lysol wipes and wipe everything down myself now. At least then I know is disinfected no matter the stains.

If you clean that ceiling you might get a comped MDR Premium Selection. 😂 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bnurick said:

Absolutely disgusting. They turn these rooms so fast they essentially remake the bed and place some items out.  During the cruise they do other maintenance as can. It’s to the point I bring Lysol wipes and wipe everything down myself now. At least then I know is disinfected no matter the stains.

If you clean that ceiling you might get a comped MDR Premium Selection. 😂 

Glad it’s not just me that takes wipes with me!

We have 3 weeks at a time share in the U.K., my kids and their friends, have grown up knowing that every handle, (including window) light switches, remote controls, are wiped down before anything is put away. They even know that the hairdryer provided is to be sanitised! 

• Like 6

That IS horrible.  We were in a SS on the Edge about 5-6weeks ago and while showing some age, we happily had none of these issues.  I read somewhere that the Edge is due for dry dock later this month...anyone know if that's true? Regardless, there is no way that X shouldn't compensate you somehow.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

That IS horrible.  We were in a SS on the Edge about 5-6weeks ago and while showing some age, we happily had none of these issues.  I read somewhere that the Edge is due for dry dock later this month...anyone know if that's true? Regardless, there is no way that X shouldn't compensate you somehow.

They are going into dry dock for about 2 weeks right after our sailing. 

FCC is worthless to us given we do not intend to ever sail with CC again until they "Do Better" and right their course. 

We will vote with our wallet, and we are fortunate enough to have the means to go elsewhere. 

If the cruise is not enjoyable for us, doesn't matter if it cost $10,000 or free, I'd rather do something else we enjoy. 

I cannot stress enough that I do not blame our stateroom attendant for not doing their job properly. Everyone onboard is overworked, and did their personal best to take care of every passengers. There are some top-down leadership issues rather than individual negligent. Yes, there are stain on the coffee table, he could have reported it and higher up decided to leave it as is. He could reported about the drain, but he is not the one taking a bath in the bathtub, he wouldn't have known about the water is draining slowly if he's only rinsing it after cleaning, shouldn't it be part of the maintenance checklist during routine inspection? I doubt the stateroom attendant have the time to inspect every drain if they have to turn around an unrealistic amount of rooms in an unrealistic timeline. 

If there are more than one thing wrong about the ship, it is an indication of deeper leadership or management issues. 

I couldn't care less about the "minor inconvenience" but the overall direction the company is heading and their decreasing value proposition are the factors driving us away.     

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, leyland1989 said:

They are going into dry dock for about 2 weeks right after our sailing. 

FCC is worthless to us given we do not intend to ever sail with CC again until they "Do Better" and right their course. 

We will vote with our wallet, and we are fortunate enough to have the means to go elsewhere. 

If the cruise is not enjoyable for us, doesn't matter if it cost $10,000 or free, I'd rather do something else we enjoy. 

I cannot stress enough that I do not blame our stateroom attendant for not doing their job properly. Everyone onboard is overworked, and did their personal best to take care of every passengers. There are some top-down leadership issues rather than individual negligent. Yes, there are stain on the coffee table, he could have reported it and higher up decided to leave it as is. He could reported about the drain, but he is not the one taking a bath in the bathtub, he wouldn't have known about the water is draining slowly if he's only rinsing it after cleaning, shouldn't it be part of the maintenance checklist during routine inspection? I doubt the stateroom attendant have the time to inspect every drain if they have to turn around an unrealistic amount of rooms in an unrealistic timeline. 

If there are more than one thing wrong about the ship, it is an indication of deeper leadership or management issues. 

I couldn't care less about the "minor inconvenience" but the overall direction the company is heading and their decreasing value proposition are the factors driving us away.     

Your stateroom attendant when cleaning should have noticed the water draining slowly IF they cleaned the shower.  Also IF they cleaned the toilet, should have noticed seat issues.

"When our stateroom were prepared, some glassware and most amenities were missing, e.g. card holders, toed bag, slippers, binoculars, etc are all missing. Also, the "deep sleep sign" is also missing from the door." Again, why wasn't this there?  Who handles this?

The condition of room should be reported by you but the service of that suite is pretty poor.  We have all had jobs where we worked our behinds off at.  You shouldn't excuse your attendant either because his job is so hard.  If me, I would simply speak to HD onboard and be honest and emphasize this cabin experience is not what I paid for and this needs to be addressed.

• Like 3

Jean, in the Old Days, the butler would have handled all these things. But since X SSs don’t have a butler anymore, I have no idea. With the recent price hikes on X suites (which were a great cruise experience, not long ago), we returned to Regent for our summer cruise this year. And we actually saved some money by doing so. On Regent, the room steward is the contact point for any correction of this kind, and it will be corrected. But on X, the steward is more like a hotel maid. On our cruise, the ship (Explorer) was in immaculate condition in all parts, including our suite. There were no signs of understaffing anywhere in that ship (and I was looking for it, and never found it). Just from the majority of posts by others here, it appears to me that X is badly understaffed. Now X doesn’t care what I think, and I have no “marriage” to Regent. But there are other lines that offer more bang for the buck than in X suites. For example I am looking at offerings from Windstar regarding their small motor ships. And those sound better than X suites, too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wineoclock said:

Glad it’s not just me that takes wipes with me!

We have 3 weeks at a time share in the U.K., my kids and their friends, have grown up knowing that every handle, (including window) light switches, remote controls, are wiped down before anything is put away. They even know that the hairdryer provided is to be sanitised! 

We are confessed wipers of every surface too…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Jean, in the Old Days, the butler would have handled all these things. But since X SSs don’t have a butler anymore, I have no idea. With the recent price hikes on X suites (which were a great cruise experience, not long ago), we returned to Regent for our summer cruise this year. And we actually saved some money by doing so. On Regent, the room steward is the contact point for any correction of this kind, and it will be corrected. But on X, the steward is more like a hotel maid. On our cruise, the ship (Explorer) was in immaculate condition in all parts, including our suite. There were no signs of understaffing anywhere in that ship (and I was looking for it, and never found it). Just from the majority of posts by others here, it appears to me that X is badly understaffed. Now X doesn’t care what I think, and I have no “marriage” to Regent. But there are other lines that offer more bang for the buck than in X suites. For example I am looking at offerings from Windstar regarding their small motor ships. And those sound better than X suites, too.

I agree.  We don't know who had the cabin before and if complaints were made.  I think they just had a bad attendant with the observations I pointed out in an earlier post.  If the bathroom alone was properly cleaned, this would not have been missed.  I also don't think excusing this by saying people are overworked is an answer either.  I think the only answer is to get it resolved onboard to the cruiser's satisfaction.  

I'd like to add I think Celebrity has probably in my 6 cruises with them the best staff of all of my 29 sailings overall.  I've never encountered what the OP has (thank God!).  This can happen anywhere but unfortunately on someones expensive vacation.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Host Anne said:

Just a quick note,,,  Summit was originally launched in 2008.  She is not a new ship. She has been refurbished bur isn't new. 

I think the Summit was launched in 2001.

On 10/7/2023 at 5:23 PM, leyland1989 said:

We have been on Celebrity Summit before in Aqua class back in November 2022, had a good experience, wanted to try the "new" ship so we booked a Mediterranean cruise on the Edge. 

The ship is about 5 years old, which should still be considered new. The general condition of the ship and the room is acceptable but can clearly show some wear over the years. 

The coffee table in our room is stained with various marks (and we were told that it has been cleaned and the stain wouldn't come off), the toilet seat have some yellow stain from the rubber pad of the lid and one side of it is missing. 

The shower door bracket is also a little loose, it can swing open easily both way (and it is only meant to be open inward).

The drawers are pretty rough and 2 of them don't open or close smoothly, the railing of the second drawer had fallen off and will rub against the bottom drawer when you close it. 

The retreat lounge chairs and couch are in rather poor shape and dirty.  

When our stateroom were prepared, some glassware and most amenities were missing, e.g. card holders, toed bag, slippers, binoculars, etc are all missing. Also, the "deep sleep sign" is also missing from the door.

We were told that they ran out of slippers and they "needed to be flown in from Miami..." but we got some non-branded ones shortly after from our retreat host. 
No big deals.  All the other missing items mysteriously shown up after turn down service (except for the binoculars (not that we are going to use it), and the do not disturb sign), we even got a plant on our coffee table somehow.  

Now here comes the actual problems... As we were taking a shower, we notice the water barely drain from the bathtub. Upon further inspection, it's almost entirely clogged. I ended up pulling out probably 5 years worth of hair and dead skin out of that drain...  
Also, the toilet stopped working in the middle of the night, not sure if the vacuum pump was offline for a moment, but it worked again about 15 mins later. 

Hopefully the upcoming drydock after our trip will address some of these issues.

I am not complaining or blaming the crew and I can clearly tell they are overworked, but there are so many details like this devaluing the experience... along with all the cutback and price increase, We probably won't be back again. 

Presently aboard Summit docked in PEI. Came back to X because of this itinerary. Seems different than the line we use to know. Great crew but something overall is just not what we experienced on Eclipse. We were on Edge in 2019 before pandemic and didn't care for the design or layout of that class. Not here to bash X but we switched brands and thought we'd give it a go. Got 2 booked for 24 on our new best line. Sorry RCCL.

• Like 1

You're right. When booking a 5 year old ship everything should be perfect. Geez. A few nonremoveable stains on a coffee table. The horror. Bad draining? Yes that definitely should have been noticed and fixed. We agree on that. So should the toilet ring thing but as long as it works OK wouldn't give it a second thought. Not flushing for 15 minutes? That is almost always because some ignorant guest flushed something they shouldn't and it stopped up the vacuum system.  If this summary is not considered complaining I don't know what is. No five year old ship, hotel room, restaurant,  and so on is ever going to be perfect no matter how much maintenance is done. It's like expecting my 72 year old body to look like a 20 year olds. No amount of Botox or exercise is gonna make that happen. If you need perfect, only sail brand new ships. Peg me as a Celebrity cheerleader if you want (Although if you read all my posts they would belie that). But I'd rather say I'm a realist about what is reasonable on a 5 year old ship.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

You're right. When booking a 5 year old ship everything should be perfect. Geez. A few nonremoveable stains on a coffee table. The horror. Bad draining? Yes that definitely should have been noticed and fixed. We agree on that. So should the toilet ring thing but as long as it works OK wouldn't give it a second thought. Not flushing for 15 minutes? That is almost always because some ignorant guest flushed something they shouldn't and it stopped up the vacuum system.  If this summary is not considered complaining I don't know what is. No five year old ship, hotel room, restaurant,  and so on is ever going to be perfect no matter how much maintenance is done. It's like expecting my 72 year old body to look like a 20 year olds. No amount of Botox or exercise is gonna make that happen. If you need perfect, only sail brand new ships. Peg me as a Celebrity cheerleader if you want (Although if you read all my posts they would belie that). But I'd rather say I'm a realist about what is reasonable on a 5 year old ship.

Some of these are cleaning issues.

I do not go on vacation to clean my own room.

And I have been on 20 year or older ships that were maintained better.

An item or two is not a big deal.  A whole list is another issue.

• Like 6

Thanks to the OP, you've helped us make a decision not to pay out more to try a move up to a SS on the Edge this coming Christmas.  We already have a SV (booked way back), only reason to move up would be to eat in Luminae and be able to have drinks in Michael's (or whatever it's called on the Edge).  We can live without that.

The price of SS on the Edge for this year's New Zealand Christmas/NY cruise is ridiculous, no wonder they are offering them as a move up, plenty seem available, I can't see the value full price.  We have now booked Princess for the same period next year, 2024/25.  We have a Reserve mini suite, which is 300 sq ft and entitles us to dine in a small restaurant.  We enjoyed this experience earlier this year on Princess.  The price is a few thousand dollars less on Princess.

Plus, Celebrity are sending only the Edge down under now, which means that if you want a balcony you have to either book very early for a SV, or pay out double that for a SS.  The rooms with an opening window, aka Infinite Verandah, do not appeal to us.  They have lost us for next year and with the now NOT all included, unless prices are adjusted accordingly, they'll have lost us forever.  I really think they've shot themselves in the foot with taking out gratuties and OBC.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

Thanks to the OP, you've helped us make a decision not to pay out more to try a move up to a SS on the Edge this coming Christmas.  We already have a SV (booked way back), only reason to move up would be to eat in Luminae and be able to have drinks in Michael's (or whatever it's called on the Edge).  We can live without that.

The price of SS on the Edge for this year's New Zealand Christmas/NY cruise is ridiculous, no wonder they are offering them as a move up, plenty seem available, I can't see the value full price.  We have now booked Princess for the same period next year, 2024/25.  We have a Reserve mini suite, which is 300 sq ft and entitles us to dine in a small restaurant.  We enjoyed this experience earlier this year on Princess.  The price is a few thousand dollars less on Princess.

Plus, Celebrity are sending only the Edge down under now, which means that if you want a balcony you have to either book very early for a SV, or pay out double that for a SS.  The rooms with an opening window, aka Infinite Verandah, do not appeal to us.  They have lost us for next year and with the now NOT all included, unless prices are adjusted accordingly, they'll have lost us forever.  I really think they've shot themselves in the foot with taking out gratuties and OBC.

In light of your Luminae mention, book Eden if it's available. It's a fraction of the SS, and will be a cooked to order meal.  

Edited by Cap_D

16 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

Thanks will give it a try.  We were on Beyond last year and for some reason never got to Eden.

Eden was fantastic on Apex. Loved it. Booked it for Beyond in a couple of weeks and for Apex again next year. 

We also have a suite guarantee for Beyond - wasn’t a great deal more than SV for what you got. On Apex we’ve cancelled our CS and snagged an SV when it became available. 

5 minutes ago, wineoclock said:

Eden was fantastic on Apex. Loved it. Booked it for Beyond in a couple of weeks and for Apex again next year. 

We also have a suite guarantee for Beyond - wasn’t a great deal more than SV for what you got. On Apex we’ve cancelled our CS and snagged an SV when it became available. 

OK, now I'm going to look at booking Eden!

• Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 2:23 PM, leyland1989 said:

the toilet seat have some yellow stain from the rubber pad of the lid and one side of it is missing. 

On a HAL cruise they gave me a great towel swan on the toilet one night. Perhaps ask your room steward to make this to cover up some of the cosmetic issues? 

B5A779CE-2098-400F-B6AE-F2F4134DC7E9_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.7a40b2e0c2c3479e2a196c91e6a925c3.jpeg

Honestly this is all quite disappointing - the pictures are really inexcusable. I would absolutely make a stink (nicely, of course) at guest services or with the concierge for your class of service and insist they make it right. I would probably forgive the stateroom table, but the cleanliness issues are inexcusable. 

• Haha 4