*LIVE* from the Norwegian Joy 5-Night Bermuda October 11-16, 2023

BirdTravels

27 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Earlier in the cruise, Footloosenwas cancelled due to two cast members being injured during rehearsal. Tonight, Elements has been cancelled. The cruise staff has just moved the Beatles from the Cavern Club to the main theater. 

The next cruise is a long repositioning cruise. The Bird hopes that NCL has the cast of both shows back and healthy (Footloose for the final time). 

Do you think the performers are cross-over between the two shows, thus yhe cancel of Elements. Hope for a speedy recovery for them.  

3 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

Most of the Dry Dock renovations sound fine, but PLEASE DO NOT ADD CABINS TO THE OBSERVATION LOUNGE AREA.  That is my favorite place to sit, relax and watch the world go by.  When we were onboard in August 20-30, the Observation lounge was always busy.

Years ago Suites replaced the Spinnaker Lounge on the Dawn.  They're very nice, i stayed in one, but having a viewing area is important for cruise passengers.

Sorry. Future home of 24 balcony stateroom (port side Observation Lounge). So sad😧

IMG_1870.jpeg

IMG_1871.jpeg

IMG_1872.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

Do you think the performers are cross-over between the two shows, thus yhe cancel of Elements. Hope for a speedy recovery for them.  

Yes. The same injured cast members appear in both shows. As of today, they are still “unfit to preform”. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Steaks R Us at Cagney’s. Since The Bird can’t get a decent lamb chop at Le Bistro any more (the Moroccan spiced shank and chop doesn’t cut it), The Bird ordered a perfectly cooked chop at Cagney’s and had the best service in years.

Interesting that you say that.  We used to love the lamb chops at Moderno, but since they switched to lamb sirloin, we decided our next cruise we would do lamb at Cagney’s and our filet at either LeBistro or LaCucina.  

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Earlier in the cruise, Footloosenwas cancelled due to two cast members being injured during rehearsal. Tonight, Elements has been cancelled. The cruise staff has just moved the Beatles from the Cavern Club to the main theater. 

The next cruise is a long repositioning cruise. The Bird hopes that NCL has the cast of both shows back and healthy (Footloose for the final time). 

We are on the repositioning cruise leaving Monday. I certainly hope that the performers weren’t injured too badly. Hopefully they are going to be okay for our sailing. Otherwise it’s going to be a long 12 days of not much entertainment. 

I guess that will mean the bars will stay extra busy! Which may bring some unexpected entertainment! Lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, UKstages said:

despite what they may say about injury during rehearsals... "injury and "indisposition" are often thinly veiled code words for covid, that's the moist likely reason for show cancellations these days.

We thought so too, but we were told by a senior officer that the problem is really the flu. 

14 hours ago, UKstages said:

despite what they may say about injury during rehearsals... "injury and "indisposition" are often thinly veiled code words for covid, that's the moist likely reason for show cancellations these days.

This is exactly what I have suspected, although of course, could be wrong.

We were on the Joy in February and the show was cancelled with this excuse. It seemed excessive to cancel a whole show for a week for an “injury” . I immediately wondered if it was a code word.

Then while following these boards, I have seen it cancelled again last summer with this excuse. Now, same excuse. Seems like a lot of “ injuries” plague this cast!

• Like 1

while the focus on entertainment cutbacks has been on the removal of broadway shows, such as “footloose,” the daily (above) indicates that there is also a “broadway cabaret,” a musical revue, performed by the cast of “footloose.” i saw an early version of this last year, performed on the Q restaurant stage. i think we can assume that it will no longer be available, along with similar revues on other ships, performed by members of the casts of shows that have been removed. and that brings up another issue… since some cast members in “footloose” also double in “elements” (and others on other ships do the same), how much money in cast salaries are they actually saving with the big broadway blowout of 2023? or are they reducing the size of the cast of “elements,” as well?

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

while the focus on entertainment cutbacks has been on the removal of broadway shows, such as “footloose,” the daily (above) indicates that there is also a “broadway cabaret,” a musical revue, performed by the cast of “footloose.” i saw an early version of this last year, performed on the Q restaurant stage. i think we can assume that it will no longer be available, along with similar revues on other ships, performed by members of the casts of shows that have been removed. and that brings up another issue… since some cast members in “footloose” also double in “elements” (and others on other ships do the same), how much money in cast salaries are they actually saving with the big broadway blowout of 2023? or are they reducing the size of the cast of “elements,” as well?

Most of the "Broadway" type show have copy rights.  I wonder how much  it costs to renew those rights.  Our local theater groups are saying that they can not do the shows that they have done in the past because of the current price to renew the "rights".  Everything seems to cost more these days.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Most of the "Broadway" type show have copy rights.  I wonder how much  it costs to renew those rights.  Our local theater groups are saying that they can not do the shows that they have done in the past because of the current price to renew the "rights".  Everything seems to cost more these days.

to lessen the costs for those rights, i wonder if its cheaper to use off broadway shows instead. that is what my local theater groups does

4 minutes ago, shof515 said:

to lessen the costs for those rights, i wonder if its cheaper to use off broadway shows instead. that is what my local theater groups does

I would assume that the price would vary from show to show and the length of a contract needed for a cruise ship.  A Little Theater would be a few months and a cruise ship would probably be for several years then add in the production costs--lighting, set design and production, costumes, cost of the production team both on and off ship. 

49 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Most of the "Broadway" type show have copy rights.

all, not most, of broadway shows are copyrighted, unless you’re talking about something that has fallen into the public domain, like a shakespeare play. a show licensed for production by a school or your local community theatre group falls into a very different agreement than that same show produced by a large entity like NCL, who is often actually working with the show’s original producers and creators. an amateur group can expect to pay hundreds of dollars per performance in royalties for their three or four night run. NCL’s contractural payment structure is likely millions of dollars over a set number of years, and is different for every show. they most likely pay far less for “six,” which they snatched from a festival before it was ever produced on the west end or broadway than they do for “jersey boys” or “beetlejuice.”

as for the difference between broadway and off-broadway… it has nothing to do with geography or where the theatre is located (most “broadway” theatres are not in fact located on the street called broadway.) no, the difference, with a few exceptions, is the size of the theatre. an off-broadway house is 499 seats and under, a broadway house is 500 seats or greater. so, you’re not saving any money by licensing something that played off-broadway. If you do, that’s because it’s a smaller scale, quirkier show, with less of a pedigree. the reason shows are produced off-broadway is because the economics are different… it generally costs less to produce off-broadway. and because the theatres are smaller, they lend themselves to scaled down and more intimate storytelling… which is probably not what you want in an eight hundred or thousand seat cruise ship space.

• Like 1