Glacier Bay Dropped from Early 2024 Cruises?

AryMay

I am booked on the 7-Day, May 1 HAL Zaandam cruise to Alaska (RT from Vancouver). I just got an email last night stating that the itinerary had been changed and instead of going to Glacier Bay on May 5th we are now going to Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier on the same day instead. I checked the Glacier Bay cruise ship schedule and other than a few visits from NCL there are NO ships going into Glacier Bay in April and early May. 

Does anyone know why the change? How many others has this affected?

Here is a screen shot of the schedule. I hope this is readable...

image.png.f7bbf55354e8fe19a4a1f1911ee6852d.png

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

Probably too early to be able to safely get in to Glacier Bay.

As mentioned on OP's other thread, GB is navigable year round. However, the rangers in the national park can limit traffic early and late in the cruise season.

• Like 1

I know ships that went in April as part of a repositioning so I don't think it's a safety issue. My guess is it's more of a staffing issue for the National park services. I can't believe the number of ships they're going at the end of April and early May now compared to in the past. This is really early in the season. It used to be that the earliest cruise to Alaska was like May 7 - 13th.

The Park Rangers have always had the authority to restrict the number of ship visits in the off-season, with a max of 2 per day.

However, if NCL is the only cruise line visiting in April/May, I'll suggest they may have increased costs beyond what the Carnival brands will pay.

• Like 2

@AryMay  I just checked your itinerary.  Tracy Arm is a service call.  You need to sign up for the excursion that will let you board a smaller ship for a close up view of Tracy Arm and the  North and South Sawyer Glaciers.  The ship will continue on to Juneau.  This is a highly rated excursion and will sell out early.  Just noticed it is Endicott Arm and  Dawes Glacier.  It may be one or the other depending on ice conditions in the Arm.  

Edited by oaktreerb