CocoCay, More, Less, or Just Right?

Ret MP

3 minutes ago, C cruise said:

this will be the first time I will be at Coco Cay and I am really looking forward to it... I do live in Florida and have the beach and pool but I expect this to be a different type of beach...We may only stay there a short while but I just don't want to miss it. We don't have the drink package but do have the refresher package so I am guessing we can have water or soda. Is the walk far from the ship?

You can use the refreshmemt package at the bars on the island. We did. 

There is a shuttle tram from the ship along the pier  to a deop off point and another tram from that point that goes around the island with various stops. 👍

• Like 1

As someone who lives very close to good gulf residential beaches, actual beach is not a big draw.  However, the available free food options is good, made to order Snack Shack makes the difference for me vs. only having buffet food sit out.  Add in the kid's water park (the free one), and you have a very good setup.  All of which I do not need to spend anything.

Ideally with the Hideaway opening, the Oasis Pool DJ leaves, the crowd thins out.

I was at CocoCay 20 years ago and enjoyed it a lot, however, prefer more food options, not having to tender, kid's activities.

I am disappointed at how much they have raised the prices on Beds/Cabanas.  Really enjoyed bed last time I was there, but can't justify the current price.  I am puzzled that despite only one ship being scheduled at CocoCay for my May cruise, all the beds are sold out even at the inflated prices. Also limited Cabanas. However, that just means I will go back to the ship midday and go back on the island in afternoon, something I wouldn't do at any other port.

On 10/11/2023 at 11:20 PM, neverbeenhere said:

I love love love ❤️ 💕 Coco cay, Almost everyone gets off our ship, so we can enjoy our personal yacht. Thanks to all. 

Ditto. Thanks CocoCay.

Having said that, I think RCL added another private island so they could have an extra stop for their mega ships that can't go to many ports. Afterall, the mega ship is pretty much a destination in itself.

On 10/11/2023 at 11:34 PM, Ret MP said:

<SNIP>> I was underwhelmed by the food.  

We actually liked the taco/burrito bar (not the attacking birds though), so we get off, eat lunch at the taco bar and go back to the ship and have a drink in the hot tub in the solarium (pretty much to ourselves!)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, C cruise said:

<SNIP>> Is the walk far from the ship?

No (if you're young)

Yes, if you're old like me (but I still walk it. LOL)

They have shuttles to take you all around the island. It might be a good idea to ride it all the way around first before you choose a place. It's quite large. No problem getting 10,000 steps in if that's your thing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

No (if you're young)

Yes, if you're old like me (but I still walk it. LOL)

They have shuttles to take you all around the island. It might be a good idea to ride it all the way around first before you choose a place. It's quite large. No problem getting 10,000 steps in if that's your thing.

oh no.... I am old and probably can't walk that far... is there a shuttle between the ship and the island?

3 hours ago, C cruise said:

oh no.... I am old and probably can't walk that far... is there a shuttle between the ship and the island?

There are two shuttles..one to take you from the ship to the end of the pier (its a long pier) and then a tram that stops at various locations around the island 

• Like 1

We love CocoCay. We are in FL so we sail out of PC about once a month. It has become a ritual for my DH and me. Grab towels the day before, pack the bag with books, music, sunglasses and singles. Get off early, grab shaded loungers relax and enjoy peace, quiet and pina coladas. 
Once lunch is served we eat, pack up and go back to ship for some uncrowded hot tub time. 
Been there over 30 times, never rode the tram. Like the pool area over the beach. We have a pool in our backyard so we only go in if weather and water temp are perfect. Shaved beef sandwich and taco bar over the chicken sandwich and funnel cake. 
Other than tips for drinks we don’t spend anything and still enjoy ourselves. 
We often cruise with my MIL who has NEVER gotten off in CocoCay. To each his own!!

• Like 2

On 10/15/2023 at 10:17 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

Royal is adding more for-cost cabanas at the established beaches. 

Those cabanas reduce the amount of "free beach".  

But the cabanas don't reduce the number of umbrellas or loungers that are available, and there is still plenty of empty sand / "free beach" available at every single beach if you just want to sit on the sand instead of a lounger, so I still don't understand the point.  It's not like they removed 1000 loungers to make room for more cabanas.  

And now there are probably 3-4 times as many loungers as there were Pre-Perfect Day (PPD), and probably over 100 times as much shaded seating as there was PPD.  And there are way more free amenities/activities now than there were PPD as well.  

13 hours ago, C cruise said:

We don't have the drink package but do have the refresher package so I am guessing we can have water or soda. Is the walk far from the ship?

The refreshment package includes bottled water, sodas, and non-alcoholic blended drinks on the island (try the virgin peach daiquiri, it's delish!).  

As others have stated, there is a small electric-powered shuttle (like an oversized golf cart) that will take you from the ship, down the pier, and to the main tram station on the island. 

At the tram station, you can get on the larger trams (like an open bus) that will make a C-shaped loop around the island.  The large tram will stop at the smaller tram stations at South Beach, Coco Cay Beach Club, Breezy Bay / Oasis Lagoon, Chill Island, and then turn around and go back past Breezy Bay / Oasis Lagoon, then the Up, Up, and Away Balloon, and then return to the main tram station.  

From the main tram station, you can then either walk back to the ship, or wait for one of the smaller electric shuttles to take you back.  

Make sure you keep your SeaPass card handy on the way back to the ship -- you have to show it to Security on the pier before being allowed through (both for walkers and for riders), and then you have to show it again as you enter the ship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brillohead said:

The refreshment package includes bottled water, sodas, and non-alcoholic blended drinks on the island (try the virgin peach daiquiri, it's delish!).  

As others have stated, there is a small electric-powered shuttle (like an oversized golf cart) that will take you from the ship, down the pier, and to the main tram station on the island. 

At the tram station, you can get on the larger trams (like an open bus) that will make a C-shaped loop around the island.  The large tram will stop at the smaller tram stations at South Beach, Coco Cay Beach Club, Breezy Bay / Oasis Lagoon, Chill Island, and then turn around and go back past Breezy Bay / Oasis Lagoon, then the Up, Up, and Away Balloon, and then return to the main tram station.  

From the main tram station, you can then either walk back to the ship, or wait for one of the smaller electric shuttles to take you back.  

Make sure you keep your SeaPass card handy on the way back to the ship -- you have to show it to Security on the pier before being allowed through (both for walkers and for riders), and then you have to show it again as you enter the ship.

thank you for this informative post... btw-is there a fee for the tram?

On 10/11/2023 at 11:34 PM, Ret MP said:

That is definitely one of the upsides to CocoCay!   LOL

If I ever purchase an itinerary that includes CocoCay, again, that's my plan.  I may go ashore for a few minutes in search of that wonderful food that many talk about.  On my one successful visit (weather prevented docking on one other cruise) to the island, I was underwhelmed by the food.  

Don’t get off at Labadee, if it is the food you are after.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, A&amp;L_Ont said:

Don’t get off at Labadee, if it is the food you are after.

Will be there next Saturday and have definitely come to that conclusion. Since we're not beach people or interested in the zip line, coaster, etc., we're either getting off just to take a morning walk (haven't been there in forever) or not getting off at all. Either way, lunch will be on the ship.

10 hours ago, Ozzie26 said:

We love CocoCay. We are in FL so we sail out of PC about once a month. It has become a ritual for my DH and me. Grab towels the day before, pack the bag with books, music, sunglasses and singles. Get off early, grab shaded loungers relax and enjoy peace, quiet and pina coladas. 
Once lunch is served we eat, pack up and go back to ship for some uncrowded hot tub time. 
Been there over 30 times, never rode the tram. Like the pool area over the beach. We have a pool in our backyard so we only go in if weather and water temp are perfect. Shaved beef sandwich and taco bar over the chicken sandwich and funnel cake. 
Other than tips for drinks we don’t spend anything and still enjoy ourselves. 
We often cruise with my MIL who has NEVER gotten off in CocoCay. To each his own!!

Wait, they have a shaved beef sandwich at the buffet on PDCC? Like a roast beef? I'll admit I like the chicken sandwich, but I still hit the buffets for burgers and bbq chicken, though! 

• Like 1

I personally like CoCo Cay and am ok that it is a stop on most of our cruises.  I like the fact that you can just walk off the ship, the beach is there and you don't have to spend a dime if you don't want.  It has a beach, chairs and umbrellas are included and has a great pool.  Or when we go with our kids, there is the waterpark (although our next cruise is probably the last one we will be purchasing due to the increase in cost).  It's not the most beautiful beach but we have nothing back home so it's good for us, and other stops will be ones where we get off the ship.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I think he meant the "cheesesteak."

You loved it right? 🤣

After I posted I thought...wait...did he mean the cheesesteak?  ha ha... hey, if I looked at it like a beef sandwich, it's probably good! lol- give me a little au jus and I can deal with that! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

After I posted I thought...wait...did he mean the cheesesteak?  ha ha... hey, if I looked at it like a beef sandwich, it's probably good! lol- give me a little au jus and I can deal with that! 

I think I'll stick to the kummelweck at Park Cafe.