sofa bed in standard size balcony cabins for 3rd pax?

sandinmyshoes

I haven't cruised Princess in a while and I can not get definitive information on whether the standard size balcony cabins have a sofa which converts to a bed for the 3rd person instead of a pullman bunk.  A bunk bed will not be doable for any of the occupants.  Do we have to go up to a mini-suite in order to get a couch that makes a bed?

We will be on the Majestic Princess.

Since you will be sailing on Majestic Princess you would have to book a Deluxe Balcony stateroom or Obstructed Deluxe Balcony stateroom.  To be clear, the love seat does not really convert to a full bed, it’s just big enough for one person, barely.   If you require a full bed for one or two people, you would have to book a mini suite.  It’s a full size three seater sofa, so very comfortable to sit on to watch tv or enjoy coffee/snacks.

Even though there are only two of us, we much prefer a mini suite because of the extra living space, larger bathroom and ample storage spaces.  The separated bed and living spaces feels quite spacious.  If there are three of you and you can afford it, then I would personally go for the mini.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the help!

To clarify:

Is the Majestic Princess a Royal Class ship?  How do I find that out?

Will the sofa bed in a deluxe balcony room be large enough for one 250 lb; 5'10" man?  Is it smaller than a traditional twin size bed?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sandinmyshoes said:

Thank you for the help!

To clarify:

Will the sofa bed in a deluxe balcony room be large enough for one 250 lb; 5'10" man?  Is it smaller than a traditional twin size bed?

The sofa bed in the deluxe balcony is really meant for a child, a teen or small adult.  My husband is smaller then this gentleman and he would definitely be cramped.  Yes, smaller than a twin.  It does not pull out into a full bed like a standard sofa bed would.  

I’m assuming you are three adults in the cabin.  This would be a bit tight for my liking but some folks clearly make it work.  With that many adults would you consider the far forward obstructed balconies on Lido and Marina deck?  Huge balconies that would have three chairs and a large dining table.  L101 and L102 are super large balconies and it would give you basically another room.  We’ve sailed in these cabins many times and love them.  Just a thought.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

The sofa bed in the deluxe balcony is really meant for a child, a teen or small adult.  My husband is smaller then this gentleman and he would definitely be cramped.  Yes, smaller than a twin.  It does not pull out into a full bed like a standard sofa bed would.  

I’m assuming you are three adults in the cabin.  This would be a bit tight for my liking but some folks clearly make it work.  With that many adults would you consider the far forward obstructed balconies on Lido and Marina deck?  Huge balconies that would have three chairs and a large dining table.  L101 and L102 are super large balconies and it would give you basically another room.  We’ve sailed in these cabins many times and love them.  Just a thought.

I am really liking the sound of your idea.  How obstructed are the balconies though?  This is a lifetime trip for my parents (79 years) and us adult 4 siblings.  Brother will share the room with my parents because he snores and they can't hear...ha!  The three sisters (I'm one) are sharing the other room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sandinmyshoes said:

Thank you for the help!

To clarify:

Yes, Majestic is a Royal class ship.

Yes, Deluxe Balcony cabins have a small sofa bed 

My hubs is 6 foot, and fits just fine.  It's wider than a twin - it's a two seater  loveseat. And when folded out, it's essentially as long as the actual beds. Fits snugly between wall and desk -  the small table and desk chair are moved out of the way when bed is open.  And you'll have to climb over it to access balcony when open. (It put down at night) 

We've found it just fine for a full grown adult. 

3 minutes ago, sandinmyshoes said:

I am really liking the sound of your idea.  How obstructed are the balconies though?  This is a lifetime trip for my parents (79 years) and us adult 4 siblings.  Brother will share the room with my parents because he snores and they can't hear...ha!  The three sisters (I'm one) are sharing the other room.

The forward balconies on Lido are metal railings instead of glass railings. That's the obstruction. They can also get wicked wind depending on direction of ship sailings

We love the forward Emerald deluxe balcony cabins for similar reasons - huge balconies, but much less wind, and partially covered. 

• Like 1

The railing and wall at the front of the balcony is metal instead of plexiglass, so sitting down near the sliding door would only give you a distant view of the water.  You would need to stand up to see below you.  These balconies hold probably 12 people easily!  Please go to YouTube and search obstructed deluxe balconies.  Try all Royal class ships:  Royal, Regal,  Majestic, Enchanted, Discovery, Sky.  These cabins are the same.  

Now, you have to keep in mind your location.  You will feel more motion up front and it can get quite windy by the railing while at sea.  If you sit farther back towards the door, it’s fine.  When docked its is a perfect mix of both sun and shady areas.  You  will also have to turn off the balcony lights in the evening because it impacts the view from the bridge.

These are great cabins for adults to be able to stretch out on the balcony and still be able to sleep three. We also love Lido deck and its proximity to the the pool and buffet.  It’s also super quiet! Good luck!  Any questions, I’d be happy to answer.

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, sandinmyshoes said:

We will be on an Alaska sailing in June for the weather factor.  I know there could be some rain in that region so a covered balcony would probably be best.

These cabins are about 1/3 or more covered by an overhang, which in itself is larger than a standard balcony. The rest is open.  Fabulous viewing for Alaska.  

• Thanks 1

as a person who has personally sampled the sofa bed on Regal and Enchanted Princesses, I must say - he won't be very comfortable. I am 5'6, just a hair under 200#.

Our child was comfortable on it because he is 5'3 and 125# (but he prefers pullman beds).

42 minutes ago, sandinmyshoes said:

Brother will share the room with my parents because he snores and they can't hear...ha!

perhaps, if he does get very uncomfortable, the lighter of the two parents could switch with him? Or not.

16 minutes ago, sandinmyshoes said:

We will be on an Alaska sailing in June for the weather factor.

I wouldn't get a forward facing balcony for an Alaska cruise. I'd get a regular side or aft facing one.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Thanks 1

I can not thank you all enough!  I am just blown away with how incredibly helpful you all have been!

* My Dad is 5'8" and 140 lbs so if he needed to switch to the sofa bed for my brother's comfort I know he wouldn't mind.  That is a great suggestion.  Another reason I love Cruise Critic's boards!!!

• Like 2

Can't spring for three rooms among the group?  I'd rather have three insides than share a balcony with a sofa bed or pullmans.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Can't spring for three rooms among the group?  I'd rather have three insides than share a balcony with a sofa bed or pullmans.

We looked into that first, but my parents are the only ones willing to share with my brother because his snoring is so loud.  My parents don't want to be split up or we would put my Dad and brother together and one of us sisters would room with our mother.  

Edited by sandinmyshoes
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sandinmyshoes said:

We looked into that first, but my parents are the only ones willing to share with my brother because his snoring is so loud.  My parents don't want to be split up or we would put my Dad and brother together and one of us sisters would room with our mother.  

Ahh.. I didn't read the full relationships.  I figured there were partners, but I see it is all nuclear family.  I see the predicament.

I would do a mini suite for brother and parents, that gives him a nice sized sofa bed and his own TV, and a curtain that separates the two bed areas for privacy if needed. Also a tub shower for your parents which would be nice and perhaps easier for them to use. Then you and your sisters could do a smaller/cheaper balcony cabin. It's nice that on the Royal class ships you can have those two cabin types together on the same deck. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 9:27 AM, rocklinmom said:

I would do a mini suite for brother and parents, that gives him a nice sized sofa bed and his own TV, and a curtain that separates the two bed areas for privacy if needed. Also a tub shower for your parents which would be nice and perhaps easier for them to use. Then you and your sisters could do a smaller/cheaper balcony cabin. It's nice that on the Royal class ships you can have those two cabin types together on the same deck. 

A tub shower may be easier for some - but not for others. DW has mobility problems and has problems climbing into the tub. A walk-in shower is much better. For this reason, we never book mini-suites on Princess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, reedprincess said:

FYI - for a visual of the Deluxe Balcony sofa bed 

Set-up while ned is Open and closed.. as you can see, essentially as long as the regular bed, and wide than a twin...

Those are photos of two different cabin categories.  The top photo is that of a Suite and the bottom photo is that of a Deluxe Balcony.  You can tell from the difference in the carpet patterns and how the top photo has a club chair.  The sofa bed in a Deluxe Balcony isn't as wide and when pulled out, there is just a crack between the food of the sofa bed and desk, which makes getting to the balcony difficult.  In a Mini-Suite the sofa bed doesn't come out like the photo; it's a twin bed, but the person lies parallel to the wall, not perpendicular.

• Thanks 3

On 10/15/2023 at 4:23 PM, reedprincess said:

FYI - for a visual of the Deluxe Balcony sofa bed 

Set-up while ned is Open and closed.. as you can see, essentially as long as the regular bed, and wide than a twin...

This is Sky, it's exactly the same on any Royal class ship, just the decor is slightly different. Majestic will be more gold tones. 

405687095_sofabed-suite-sky1.thumb.jpg.91d69df94257713cae82887a703c0c6d.jpg

that's not how it looked in our deluxe balcony room on Enchanted and Regal. The foot of the bed was touching the chair in front of the table. It's that tight. There was no way to walk between the sofa and the table - we had to climb over the bed to get to the balcony. And the sofa bed is a lot narrower - it's the width of the regular bed.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your inputs.  We decided to put my Dad and brother together since they both snore and get the three rooms with 2 in each room.  My Mom and Dad have been married 57 years so they said a week spent in separate rooms won't be the end of their marriage.  ha!  

• Like 2