What are the differences between a transatlantic crossing and a New York to Canada/Caribbean?

HLR

Hi all!

I am wondering if there are big differences between a transatlantic crossing versus a NY to the Caribbean or Canada? Such as: The passengers, the entertainment, the enrichment program, etc...  Do they still offer fencing lessons? Is tea still served everyday when there are port days? Stuff like that.

I am single, 59 and I do not fly so a NY - NY would be my only option sailing....so would that be east coast or "over and back"! 

Howard

48 minutes ago, HLR said:

Hi all!

I am wondering if there are big differences between a transatlantic crossing versus a NY to the Caribbean or Canada? Such as: The passengers, the entertainment, the enrichment program, etc...  Do they still offer fencing lessons? Is tea still served everyday when there are port days? Stuff like that.

I am single, 59 and I do not fly so a NY - NY would be my only option sailing....so would that be east coast or "over and back"! 

Howard

There is a big difference between a Transatlantic and anything really. But like you I prefer NY-NY and have done both several times.

Passengers, same mix of Yanks and Brits with a scattering of others. Entertainment, same. Enrichment programs same, depends on who they pick up but you may get Cunard or Titanic speaker on Transatlantic.

Fencing, yes. Tea on port days, umm don't think so on Mary but my be wrong.

Overall, for me the ship is the destination. When in the Caribbean I rarely bother to get off. You will have largely the same onboard experience on either itinerary so usually price determines which I choose.

The transatlantic crossing are nearly always unbroken sea days from departure to arrival. Every now and then there might be a call into Boston or Halifax. If not it is a straight week at sea. Very peaceful. Sea days are always more packed with things to do.

• Like 1

To a fellow 59’er…You have to get yourself into the mindset that this is a mode of transportation and you’ll be at sea for seven nights. Especially if you’re an experienced cruiser, as it seems as you are, a TA is different.  And at the end of the Crossing, you’ll wonder where the time went. Study the Daily Programme and bring a highlighter to focus and stay organized (a tip from a popular YouTube cruise personality). Also, enjoy the quietness and calm on a QM2 TA compared to a cruise, even a cruise on Cunard. 
My DW, says “Oh, we didn’t to this or we forgot to do that” at the end of TA’s.  Lastly, TA’s seem to be a bit more formal via dress code than busy cruises but still relaxing and laid back. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, NE John said:

To a fellow 59’er…You have to get yourself into the mindset that this is a mode of transportation and you’ll be at sea for seven nights. Especially if you’re an experienced cruiser, as it seems as you are, a TA is different.  And at the end of the Crossing, you’ll wonder where the time went. Study the Daily Programme and bring a highlighter to focus and stay organized (a tip from a popular YouTube cruise personality). Also, enjoy the quietness and calm on a QM2 TA compared to a cruise, even a cruise on Cunard. 
My DW, says “Oh, we didn’t to this or we forgot to do that” at the end of TA’s.  Lastly, TA’s seem to be a bit more formal via dress code than busy cruises but still relaxing and laid back. 

I agree with all of this. People ask me if I get bored on a TA with no ports to go to. But Cunard provides plenty to do--or you can do nothing at all. 

I can't imagine doing a B2B TA--I don't want to be in Southampton only to have to leave again with no time to spend in England. If the schedule has a Europe cruise between crossings, I do the EB, have some time in England, then the WB home. I don't love flying, but I will fly. So I've done a number of trips flying to London and then sailing home. I can shop for my favorite teas and marmalades at Fortnum's and getting it all home is easy. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

So I've done a number of trips flying to London and then sailing home. I can shop for my favorite teas and marmalades at Fortnum's and getting it all home is easy. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think I brought home a kilo of Fortnum tea last fall, plus various nibbles. I'm not a marmalade person, so I'll leave all of that for you. 

What's your favourite Fortnum tea blend? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think I brought home a kilo of Fortnum tea last fall, plus various nibbles. I'm not a marmalade person, so I'll leave all of that for you. 

What's your favourite Fortnum tea blend? 

Royal Blend. I'm excited to go to Borough market on my upcoming trip because there's a Bird & Blend tea shop nearby. They have a house blend that's earl grey and assam. 

• Like 1

I'm a Queen Anne girlie myself. I picked up a tin of Albion last time, but I haven't opened it yet. 

Last fall, I landed in London at 7AM Sunday morning, took myself to the Wolseley for breakfast, went to Westminster Abbey for service, then back to F&M for tea and biscuits, then treated myself to afternoon tea upstairs before going to my flat and collapsing. The exhaustion meant that I spent entirely too much on tea, but it was worth it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I can't imagine doing a B2B TA--I don't want to be in Southampton only to have to leave again with no time to spend in England. If the schedule has a Europe cruise between crossings, I do the EB, have some time in England, then the WB home. 

I would love to spend some time in England....BUT...waiting for the return would be 2 weeks...not just one...and being away for a month is too long...I'm still working!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HLR said:

I would love to spend some time in England....BUT...waiting for the return would be 2 weeks...not just one...and being away for a month is too long...I'm still working!

It doesn't have to be, choose crossings where QM2 goes somewhere else in between. 

Great responses! Thank you!

Is fencing free or a paid class? I would guess there are "real" dance classes on board. as opposed to "Learn to Salsa"? Do people do the Quick-Step? 

2 hours ago, NE John said:

We brought a bunch of foodstuffs from M&S last time. A great advantage of not flying. 

Most of my foodstuffs come from M&S. Can't fault them. What I can't buy on the shop floor, I get from an Ocado home delivery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HLR said:

Great responses! Thank you!

Is fencing free or a paid class? I would guess there are "real" dance classes on board. as opposed to "Learn to Salsa"? Do people do the Quick-Step? 

Midday dance lessons are free of charge and in a group in Queens Room and are fun. I know there’s a small charge for watercolor classes so maybe for fencing.  
Also, please do participate in the Gala Night dress codes (don’t go too crazy about the themes). Dress well too on “Smart” nights. Dress to match the elegance of the ship. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NE John said:

We brought a bunch of foodstuffs from M&S last time. A great advantage of not flying. 

Yes the food hall in West Quay is not too bad. Very convenient too for either terminal. I shop there weekly for food even the basics are superior quality. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I agree with all of this. People ask me if I get bored on a TA with no ports to go to. But Cunard provides plenty to do--or you can do nothing at all. 

I can't imagine doing a B2B TA--I don't want to be in Southampton only to have to leave again with no time to spend in England. If the schedule has a Europe cruise between crossings, I do the EB, have some time in England, then the WB home. I don't love flying, but I will fly. So I've done a number of trips flying to London and then sailing home. I can shop for my favorite teas and marmalades at Fortnum's and getting it all home is easy. 

We've done three round trip crossings so far, with a fourth booked for 2024.

We've had trips with only a single 'extra' port aside from Southampton, others have had ports before [Hamburg] and after [LeHavre] the second Southampton stop, and last year a 12 night Norway 'side trip'.

Next year, with the Brooklyn schedule adjustment - we will have stops in Newport and Boston - so the crossings are Boston to Southampton, and LeHavre to Brooklyn

What would be some fun things to do in South Hampton on the turnaround day? Or if one or two ports and then back to South Hampton for the return TA? How far are you from London?

4 minutes ago, HLR said:

What would be some fun things to do in South Hampton on the turnaround day? Or if one or two ports and then back to South Hampton for the return TA? How far are you from London?

Too stressful, and not enough time to make it worthwhile to go to London. But there is a maritime museum, an air museum, a Tudor merchant’s house, an art gallery, bits of possibly Roman wall, and excellent chocolate brownies in John Lewis West Quay.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Too stressful, and not enough time to make it worthwhile to go to London. But there is a maritime museum, an air museum, a Tudor merchant’s house, an art gallery, bits of possibly Roman wall, and excellent chocolate brownies in John Lewis West Quay.

Oh...nice! Thanks!!!

• Like 1

The Maritime Museum great, has a really well done Titanic exhibition.  It’s walkable from the ship but I’d probably take a taxi there and walk back down High St.  There’s a really pretty little park near the museum with a memorial to the Titanic engineers. You can get up to walk on the wall at the bottom or so of High Street.  I’ve really enjoyed Southhampton!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, paulco said:

The Maritime Museum great, has a really well done Titanic exhibition.  It’s walkable from the ship but I’d probably take a taxi there and walk back down High St.  There’s a really pretty little park near the museum with a memorial to the Titanic engineers. You can get up to walk on the wall at the bottom or so of High Street.  I’ve really enjoyed Southhampton!

That museum is specifically called the Sea City museum and I was there in June and give it an high marks. 
As others said, don’t venture out too much from the port. There’s some good restaurants around too.