What are the differences between a transatlantic crossing and a New York to Canada/Caribbean?

HLR

5 hours ago, NE John said:

As others said, don’t venture out too much from the port. There’s some good restaurants around too. 

Owww....Omnious! What happens if you venture to far outside the port? Does it get dodgy?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, HLR said:

Owww....Omnious! What happens if you venture to far outside the port? Does it get dodgy?

Nah.  Just don’t schedule something out of town that you miss the ship. 
Maybe take a Cunard sponsored excursion to Winchester is the furthest I’d go. 

5 hours ago, NE John said:

Nah.  Just don’t schedule something out of town that you miss the ship. 
Maybe take a Cunard sponsored excursion to Winchester is the furthest I’d go. 

I really wouldn’t bother with Winchester, stay in Southampton. If you really want to live dangerously, take the Hythe Ferry over the estuary and admire the waterfront from there. Then come back at once.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Queenvee said:

OP asked about quickstep - yes indeed, much of the ballroom dancing features quicksteps.  Along with cha cha, rumba, swing, and samba.  No American style foxtrot.

Well...I hope the Brittish Ladies can backlead! I'm a very good follow though!

On 10/17/2023 at 10:15 AM, neeuqdrazil said:

I'm a Queen Anne girlie myself…

👍 👍 Good choice of tea. 
In Southampton (please, folks, notice the spelling), if you have time, try a pint and a meal at the Duke of Wellington on Bugle Street.
BTW, there are many plaques and monuments to the Pilgrims who set sail from Southampton on 15 August, 1620.

Cheers…

2 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

👍 👍 Good choice of tea. 
In Southampton (please, folks, notice the spelling), if you have time, try a pint and a meal at the Duke of Wellington on Bugle Street.
BTW, there are many plaques and monuments to the Pilgrims who set sail from Southampton on 15 August, 1620.

Cheers…

Not to mention the Park, and the Terminal which Cunard mainly uses!

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Not to mention the Park, and the Terminal which Cunard mainly uses!

Right on! Southampton is a very interesting city in which to spend some time and can be a good base from which to visit other local areas. Well worth checking for places to visit…

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 12:08 PM, HLR said:

What would be some fun things to do in South Hampton on the turnaround day? Or if one or two ports and then back to South Hampton for the return TA? How far are you from London?

Last time through Southampton (on the way to Hamburg) we rented a car and drove to Corfe Castle on the other side of Bournemouth from Southampton. We got back with a little time to spare. A bit of traffic, a bit of difficulty getting the Uber driver to our location. Maybe it was too ambitious and I would have liked to spend more time exploring the town and the castle ruin.

4 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Last time through Southampton (on the way to Hamburg) we rented a car and drove to Corfe Castle on the other side of Bournemouth from Southampton. We got back with a little time to spare. A bit of traffic, a bit of difficulty getting the Uber driver to our location. Maybe it was too ambitious and I would have liked to spend more time exploring the town and the castle ruin.

I think you were lucky to get back. It could be a horrendous drive, with much potential for catastrophe. Corfe Castle is suitably picturesque though.

On 10/20/2023 at 9:08 AM, HLR said:

What would be some fun things to do in South Hampton on the turnaround day? Or if one or two ports and then back to South Hampton for the return TA? How far are you from London?

Southampton is a wonderful town to just explore on your own.    The Southampton Old Wall and fortifications are really interesting and you can explorer.   We also had fun exploring Palmerston Park.

Nothing better than just exploring and finding a nice pub for lunch.  

I've not yet done a turn around in Southampton, but on Celebrity last year we grabbed a train to Windsor Castle.    Very easy walk to the Train Station and even though we had two train transfers was very painless.  

Many also take a quick side trip to Winchester -  The Cathedral is incredible but the town is vibrant pedestrian mall with shops, pubs, restaurants etc etc.

• Like 2

I would not suggest anything that relies on trains these days particularly travelling further than a potential taxi ride away . All aboard is usually around 4 30 so doesn’t give much time. Trains can be cancelled at short notice or not be as frequent.My advice from someone who lives in the area, is stay in Southampton. There  is more than enough to see and do in the time available. If you really want to travel further afield take a Cunard excursion then you will be guaranteed to be back on time. 

Edited by Winifred 22
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

I would not suggest anything that relies on trains these days particularly travelling further than a potential taxi ride away . All aboard is usually around 4 30 so doesn’t give much time. Trains can be cancelled at short notice or not be as frequent.My advice from someone who lives in the area, is stay in Southampton. There  is more than enough to see and do in the time available. If you really want to travel further afield take a Cunard excursion then you will be guaranteed to be back on time. 

yes to this.

I posted asking before we sailed in September and was amazed with the amount of wonderful things to do in Southampton, we were gonna stay a couple of days but decided to do it next cruise so we could book things a bit more in advance to make it a bit cheaper (especially hotel booking)

I want to do Transatlantic because to me, cruising is about the ship, being 7 days at sea is the closest idea of holiday heaven to my daughter too, especially with Cunard.

I'm looking to book QM2 TA but this maybe for 2025 if I want to do it with my daughter, who also cannot be away for too long, may go for B2B if I go on my own.

Have a great time!

On 10/17/2023 at 1:31 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I can shop for my favorite teas and marmalades at Fortnum's and getting it all home is easy. 

We have a Fortnum & Mason near us in St Pancras International, love them in general, but after I tried their loose leaf green tea with lemon, I could not go back to any other brand.... 

I turned into a big fan of marmalades when I came to England, these days after years of my mother in law's teachings, we make our own, but nothing beats having tea @ their Jermyn St, we used to go regularly to Piccadilly for dinner too, not so much now that I'm not driving...

We are lucky enough to have a M&S food store less than 5 minutes walk I can send my daughter to, so we do shop for food with them.... the price different now that supermarkets are so expensive in London (unless you can get to Aldi or Lidl), is not as steep as it was when my daughter was in primary school, but we still only bought fruit & veg from them for years, so well worth it. 

They have a food restaurant at one of the hospitals I go to, they don't have table service but I'm rarely alone as the wheelchair is not self propelled,  they would help me brining food & drink to the table if If 'm in crutches.... can't be compared with Fortnum & Mason but it does help feeling better about spending almost 16 hours in hospital.... 🙂

Whilst Southampton has its merits I would personally prefer to head over to the New Forest which is nearby. It has so much to offer from scenic forest drives and walks, roaming ponies and donkeys…check out Beaulieu and very picturesque coastal villages and country pubs. 

Hiring a car or car/driver would get you there in less than an hour. It once took us just 30 mins from hotel to dock side. 

For a taster or inspiration the website - thenewforest.co.uk is a good place to start. 

Just a thought. 🙂

On 10/16/2023 at 9:40 PM, HLR said:

Hi all!

I am wondering if there are big differences between a transatlantic crossing versus a NY to the Caribbean or Canada? Such as: The passengers, the entertainment, the enrichment program, etc...  Do they still offer fencing lessons? Is tea still served everyday when there are port days? Stuff like that.

I am single, 59 and I do not fly so a NY - NY would be my only option sailing....so would that be east coast or "over and back"! 

Howard

We’ve done and enjoyed both a B2B TA and the Caribbean. We did the B2B in December. There were many lectures, presentations and shows on the ship. The holiday decorations were a bonus. We were lucky to have good weather in Southampton. I would definitely recommend the Sea City Museum, which presents Southampton’s Titanic Story. We walked there and back from the ship, passed stalls with holiday markets and had a casual lunch.

We did the Caribbean trip in November. It was wonderful to have the six sea days broken up by the warm weather. Once again, there was plenty to do on the ship.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrsPeel55 said:

yes to this.

I posted asking before we sailed in September and was amazed with the amount of wonderful things to do in Southampton, we were gonna stay a couple of days but decided to do it next cruise so we could book things a bit more in advance to make it a bit cheaper (especially hotel booking)

I want to do Transatlantic because to me, cruising is about the ship, being 7 days at sea is the closest idea of holiday heaven to my daughter too, especially with Cunard.

I'm looking to book QM2 TA but this maybe for 2025 if I want to do it with my daughter, who also cannot be away for too long, may go for B2B if I go on my own.

Have a great time!

You will love  it. I did a B2B on my own this summer and loved it. I don’t know where the time went. There was so much to do and the weather wasn’t that good for sitting out either. Lovely and sunny in New York. I just did the Cunard excursion which was just perfect for me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrsPeel55 said:

We have a Fortnum & Mason near us in St Pancras International, love them in general, but after I tried their loose leaf green tea with lemon, I could not go back to any other brand.... 

I turned into a big fan of marmalades when I came to England, these days after years of my mother in law's teachings, we make our own, but nothing beats having tea @ their Jermyn St, we used to go regularly to Piccadilly for dinner too, not so much now that I'm not driving...

We are lucky enough to have a M&S food store less than 5 minutes walk I can send my daughter to, so we do shop for food with them.... the price different now that supermarkets are so expensive in London (unless you can get to Aldi or Lidl), is not as steep as it was when my daughter was in primary school, but we still only bought fruit & veg from them for years, so well worth it. 

They have a food restaurant at one of the hospitals I go to, they don't have table service but I'm rarely alone as the wheelchair is not self propelled,  they would help me brining food & drink to the table if If 'm in crutches.... can't be compared with Fortnum & Mason but it does help feeling better about spending almost 16 hours in hospital.... 🙂

Oh no an M & S so close . I go into the office one day a week and always go in at lunch or after work. My daughter loves Fortnum and Mason. At Christmas we have their Scotch Eggs and Pork pies. They deliver them fresh as we don’t ever really go to London. 

• Like 1

@Winifred 22  oh yes, I am sure I will love every minute!!! I'm waiting at the moment to see if my daughter will be able to get the time off 2024, if she can't (which I am not sure but she is getting 2 weeks off in February and then our Christmas sailing is 12 days but we will go a couple of days before to stay in Southampton before sailing, which will make it another 2 weeks and we surely will do something in summer)  I will do it solo...  I don't think I can wait until 2025!  

and also, yes, I know we are lucky we are in a wonderful part in London, we are near a lot of amazing stores, but secluded from the traffic and noise, tons of green around, very residential, I don't think I would have stayed in London after my daughter graduated if we were still in the previous place, where my daughter was born 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 8:42 PM, exlondoner said:

I think you were lucky to get back. It could be a horrendous drive, with much potential for catastrophe. Corfe Castle is suitably picturesque though.

A few weeks ago, it took us 2.5 hours just to get to Southampton from Poole!

• Like 1

I would go to London before Christmas every year if I could and then take the TA that departs on the 15th of December back to the states. We ordered baskets from F&M for Christmas delivery as presents and it was SO much fun to watch people open them. The windows on Oxford and all of the lights hanging across the streets, the people bicycle Santas across from Saint Martin’s in the Fields. Tea at Claridges and watching football in a pub. Asking my DH now, “When can we go back?”

• Like 4

On 10/17/2023 at 10:19 AM, HLR said:

I would love to spend some time in England....BUT...waiting for the return would be 2 weeks...not just one...and being away for a month is too long...I'm still working!

Or you could do what I am doing next spring.  I will go eastbound on another cruise line (shudder), spend 6 days in London, then go home on the QM2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LDVinNC said:

Or you could do what I am doing next spring.  I will go eastbound on another cruise line (shudder), spend 6 days in London, then go home on the QM2.

I always think of that but ... can I go away for that long???? Not really....hmmmm