Pre-paid Gratuities

lovedecruise

Hi, because I am from NZ and we don’t have much of a tipping culture down under, our gratuities have always been included in the fare when we have sailed out of Australia or NZ. This time round, the ship is repositioning to Aust from the USA so we have a daily rate of $16 pp to pay. It is a five night cruise but when I multiply this amount by 5 and adjust the exchange rate, it appears we are paying less if we prepay before boarding. Is it normal to pay less if you pay before boarding rather than at the end of your cruise?

How does the ship do a repositioning from US to down under in 5 days?  

Outerdog answered your question.  

Could Princess have a different rate exchange in your favor?

Is it attached to the fare (plus insurance and taxes)/not usually in US.  Insurance?  Taxes?  Hmmmmm

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

Thank you for your answers.

The ship is on its way from LA and is coming down under for the summer season.  It will pass through Auckland, where we will pick it up, for the last five days of the cruise, on its way to Sydney.  It is still in US currency etc but when it sails out of Sydney later that afternoon, there won't be daily gratuities added to the folio and the currency on board will be Australian.

• Like 1

Not a direct answer for you but I am Australian and when cruising elsewhere in the world other than Australia and NZ when I compare the cost of prepaying gratuities it is often (but not always) at a better exchange rate than the current exchange rate. Do your sums to see if it is better to prepay or wait until you are on board. Also if you have OBC the gratuities can be paid or partially paid using your OBC if you wait until on board. Have a great cruise!

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Like 1

Hello,just like your culture,we in the u.k. are not overly keen on tipping and when on board go straight to the main reception and adjust the amount to zero.Do that and then if you really feel the urge to tip for exceptional outstanding service,great.Certain cruise lines in the u.k.,P&O,M.S.C. and SAGA all have tips included.

Is it cheaper to pay before or after?

You could always do what we do and give what you feel is justified.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, WECRUISEUK said:

Hello,just like your culture,we in the u.k. are not overly keen on tipping and when on board go straight to the main reception and adjust the amount to zero.Do that and then if you really feel the urge to tip for exceptional outstanding service,great.Certain cruise lines in the u.k.,P&O,M.S.C. and SAGA all have tips included.

Is it cheaper to pay before or after?

You could always do what we do and give what you feel is justified.

Ouch.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Hey...I've been told that I was an honorary crew member! What do you want to know?

It was a joke, if you have any questions our daughter works on a cruise ship, not Princess but HAL

Edited by antsp
Any
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, antsp said:

It was a joke, if you have any questions our daughter works on a cruise ship

I would venture that a lot of specific Q&A would relate to the cruise line, so if not Princess, may not be as helpful here.  What's her role and what does she think of guests who remove the daily CA fee?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I would venture that a lot of specific Q&A would relate to the cruise line, so if not Princess, may not be as helpful here.  What's her role and what does she think of guests who remove the daily CA fee?

She is cruise staff and enrichment, she is salaried and not part of the tip pool

15 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Hey...I've been told that I was an honorary crew member! What do you want to know?

It was a joke, if you have any questions our daughter works on a cruise ship

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OccasionalSanta said:

Which explains why restaurant workers in the U.K. (and other like countries) are happy to serve tourists from the U.S.

I have to admit that in Canada we tip everyone everywhere we go and even more than necessary.  I tip our dog groomers more than some people tip their cabin stewards.  Not unusual for clients in higher end salons in Toronto to tip their stylist $100.00+

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I have to admit that in Canada we tip everyone everywhere we go and even more than necessary.  I tip our dog groomers more than some people tip their cabin stewards.  Not unusual for clients in higher end salons in Toronto to tip their stylist $100.00+

If my haircut is $16 - I round it up to $20

If my haircut is $10.99 with a coupon - I round it up to $20

Tipping is so out of control - I got asked to tip on an A/C repair!

We get PLUS and now Premier on our cruise in 2024 - includes CA which can't be removed.

We tip our cabin steward extra, as we do the people in Vines

When Princess prices us out of the Packages - "IF" and that's a HUGE "IF" - stop reading here

because you may not like what I am going to post.

We will still tip our cabin steward and Vines well - as any specialty dining, or casual dining - NOT the mdr.  We will remove the automatic grats from out account - sorry Princess - that's on you, not us

• Like 2

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

If my haircut is $16 - I round it up to $20

If my haircut is $10.99 with a coupon - I round it up to $20

Tipping is so out of control - I got asked to tip on an A/C repair!

We get PLUS and now Premier on our cruise in 2024 - includes CA which can't be removed.

We tip our cabin steward extra, as we do the people in Vines

When Princess prices us out of the Packages - "IF" and that's a HUGE "IF" - stop reading here

because you may not like what I am going to post.

We will still tip our cabin steward and Vines well - as any specialty dining, or casual dining - NOT the mdr.  We will remove the automatic grats from out account - sorry Princess - that's on you, not us

I agree 92% with you.  Not all in on the other 8%, sorry.

• Like 1

I'm from the UK so tipping is a so so subject, I leave the auto tip on but very rarely tip extra, however, Princess makes tipping a personal choice, so no one should be attacked for their own personal decision 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, antsp said:

I'm from the UK so tipping is a so so subject, I leave the auto tip on but very rarely tip extra, however, Princess makes tipping a personal choice, so no one should be attacked for their own personal decision 

Not really - It would be a personal choice when Princess reinstitutes the BEST. SALE. EVER. terms