What to do upon boarding....

spearmint

Friends and I cruise in less than a month.

We have a 1:30-2:00 boarding time. After that, have I got the order of things to do correct?

(1) We want to change our dining time from second seating.  My TA told  me, a month ago, that first seating was full, so we want to do select dining.  From Iong-ago experience,  I assume that after 1p.m. we can go to the main dining room (?) to queue up to see someone about this. I expect that this is the most important thing to do. Am I correct? And should I have a general time in mind?

(2) Have lunch. (Six years since my wife and I traveled. No set boarding times then, and we always went at 11:00 or so, boarded and had lunch on the back deck So set boarding time is new for me.)

(3) Go to rooms to drop off hand luggage.

(4) No phones among the three of us; we must proceed to our muster station prior to leaving port, according to our information.

Have I forgotten anything?

Thanks, Bill

Not mentioned yet----

If you plan to go to any Specialty restaurant, go there asap as prime times get filled up very quickly. They do hold space for suite passengers which limits prime time availability.

Suggestion --- For a nice relaxing lunch try the Spa Cafe in the Solarium pool area instead of the " Zoo " in the OVC. Not as much selection, but, very adequate.

Edited by Pinboy

24 minutes ago, ymncruise said:

I would drop bags, go to dining room, go to muster check in, lunch. We watch the muster video on our phone on the way to the port. 

They said no phones so they will have to watch the safety video on their cabin TV.

as for the 1:30-2pm boarding time.

it has been My experience in many post Covid X cruises  that is primarily to keep small terminals from being crowded and was probably to help putting a lot of people in a confined area?

My experience has to get to the terminal at 10:30-11am and check in.

I have never had to wait till the listed boarding time. Today I boarded Reflection In Barcelona arriving at the terminal at 10:30 an I was onboard at 11:25am with a listed boarding time of 12:00-12:30. I an not Zenith level or a suite guest.

You can go directly to your stateroom and you will find your sea pass/room keys in a sealed envelope at your stateroom door. You can drop any carry on bags and use the safe But there will  be a notice that the attendant may not be finished cleaning.

After watching the safety Video then go to the muster station and check in.

welcome Back to Traveling/Cruising!

Edited by D. B.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Not mentioned yet----

If you plan to go to any Specialty restaurant, go there asap as prime times get filled up very quickly. They do hold space for suite passengers which limits prime time availability.

Suggestion --- For a nice relaxing lunch try the Spa Cafe in the Solarium pool area instead of the " Zoo " in the OVC. Not as much selection, but, very adequate.

Never seen anything I would like to eat in the spa cafe 🤔😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

Not mentioned yet----

Our recent cruises the Spa Cafe has not been open on boarding day.

• Thanks 2

There are three of us,  two lady friends, all phoneless and spouseless, traveling on Equinox, November 11, Southern Caribbean.

To respond to some of your posts:

The reason for going to the muster station before leaving port: that is what the notes we received from Celebrity said to do if one does not have a cell phone. One of our party is a total newbie to cruising, so we definitely need muster information. Even if we watch it on the stateroom TV, we will all be going to the muster location at some point early on, so we know exactly where it is. May I assume that there is no more checking to see that every passenger attends the muster drills?

We really want to get out of second seating dining. My recollection is that there can be large numbers of people wanting to make changes to all sorts of dining accommodations, and one can be sitting around waiting for a long time. The staff did not show up until after 1p.m.and everyone wanted to get there (and get out) first. As I write this, I am thinking, maybe we should try for later when most people might have left,  or can it be done at guest services?

One post brings up some things that I wonder about:

Upon arrival at the terminal, don't we have to go to the check-in desk for a  photo and to pick up our seapass?  It seems here, that the seapass will be at our door in an envelope.

And personally, I like the idea of checking in earlier... like my wife and I always did.  But, then, there was no going to the stateroom until an announcement told us that we could which often occurred around 1:00 p.m. I did wonder what was going on with the scheduled arrival time and whether to "break the rules" and go earlier rather than twiddle thumbs at the hotel.

I am finding so many changes in the last 6 years that it is almost like a totally new experience.  As I have often said here, thank God for the people like you on Cruise Critic who take the time to respond. You have helped me immeasurably for years.

Bill

11 minutes ago, spearmint said:

The reason for going to the muster station before leaving port: that is what the notes we received from Celebrity said to do if one does not have a cell phone. One of our party is a total newbie to cruising, so we definitely need muster information. Even if we watch it on the stateroom TV, we will all be going to the muster location at some point early on, so we know exactly where it is. May I assume that there is no more checking to see that every passenger attends the muster drills?

There tend to be several public address announcements before leaving port, they encourage people to watch the safety videos and visit their muster stations (where their sea pass is scanned). They also say that these two things MUST be done by all passengers before the ship leaves port. As the departure time gets nearer the announcements get worded more stongly. I seem to recall on one cruise that, shortly before departure, the announcements included the names of people who still had to report.

• Like 1

@spearmint yes they do check on muster drill.   When you go to your muster station after watching the video they will show you how to put on a life jacket answer any questions and check your name off the list of passengers,.

Before you go to the terminal you can do check in on line on the website and print your Xpress Pass ( boarding pass).  They will have you fill out a health questionnaire, take you photo and send you on to board.  You can go directly to your cabin and drop off any carry on luggage and get your sea pass cards.  

jelayne and chanbre  .... thanks.  Makes things so much more clear on the muster stuff.

I have checked all three of us in online, and have printed off our boarding passes.  Nowhere did I come across anything regarding a health questionnaire, but that should be no problem.  I waited until it was available, and had the latest Covid shot two days ago plus a flu shot,and one of my friends will have hers on Nov. 2.  Just in case, I printed a copy of the injection, bu do I need to take any proof of medical stuff like that?  So now, another question: if we decided to board early, can we still go directly to our rooms for luggage drop off and (another question answered) pick up our sea pass cards? This seems to answer one of my original queries... will go to the room first.

Bill

The health questionnaire will become available one day before your sailing and is just a few quick questions. If you don't complete it ahead of time, you can do it at embarkation.We chose to bring copies of our vaccination dates in case it was required for any ports, but we were never asked for it.

Hi - health questionnaire is done within 24 hours of departure. Can also be done in the terminal during check-in. 

Photos can also be taken at the terminal - takes 3 seconds and you don't have to figure out how to upload it!

Once onboard you can go straight to your stateroom, drop luggage off & put things in the safe. You can do this even if there is a sign from your stateroom attendant stating the room is not ready. Just drop things off and leave. (We put hand luggage in closet so it is out of the way if room is not ready.) 

Sea pass will be available whether room is ready or not.

Enjoy your cruise!

1 hour ago, spearmint said:

<snip>  I waited until it was available, and had the latest Covid shot two days ago plus a flu shot, and one of my friends will have hers on Nov. 2.  Just in case, I printed a copy of the injection, but do I need to take any proof of medical stuff like that?  <snip>

Bill

Not sure if any countries are still requiring proof of vaccination - where are you sailing? 

Has your TA contacted Celebrity to see if she/he can change you to select dining?

MarKay525 and RichYak... I appreciate the information and advice.... I am going to take it.  Yes, my TA contacted Celebrity in August and was told that first seating was full.  So our only alternative will be select dining, which is fine by us. My wife and I were fine with second seating, but the two lady friends that I am traveling with are not.... it's too late for them.

Bill

10 hours ago, spearmint said:

There are three of us,  two lady friends, all phoneless and spouseless, traveling on Equinox, November 11, Southern Caribbean.

To respond to some of your posts:

We really want to get out of second seating dining. My recollection is that there can be large numbers of people wanting to make changes to all sorts of dining accommodations, and one can be sitting around waiting for a long time. The staff did not show up until after 1p.m.and everyone wanted to get there (and get out) first. As I write this, I am thinking, maybe we should try for later when most people might have left,  or can it be done at guest services?

One post brings up some things that I wonder about:

Upon arrival at the terminal, don't we have to go to the check-in desk for a  photo and to pick up our seapass?  It seems here, that the seapass will be at our door in an envelope.

And personally, I like the idea of checking in earlier... like my wife and I always did.  But, then, there was no going to the stateroom until an announcement told us that we could which often occurred around 1:00 p.m. I did wonder what was going on with the scheduled arrival time and whether to "break the rules" and go earlier rather than twiddle thumbs at the hotel.

I am finding so many changes in the last 6 years that it is almost like a totally new experience.  As I have often said here, thank God for the people like you on Cruise Critic who take the time to respond. You have helped me immeasurably for years.

Bill

You are correct about going to check In but they no longer give you the SeaPass room keys(cards) there.

once Onboard you are free to go anywhere on the ship Including your Stateroom.

Your SeaPass/room key cards will be There by the door in a sealed envelope.

there may be a notice On the door that your steward in Not finished Cleaning but you can enter and leave things in your stateroom that you carried on with you.

You can also use the Safe.

As you do no have access to the App on a phone be sure to watch the safety video on the stateroom TV.

10 hours ago, Chanbre said:

There tend to be several public address announcements before leaving port, they encourage people to watch the safety videos and visit their muster stations (where their sea pass is scanned). They also say that these two things MUST be done by all passengers before the ship leaves port. As the departure time gets nearer the announcements get worded more stongly. I seem to recall on one cruise that, shortly before departure, the announcements included the names of people who still had to report.

People who do Not complete their safety video and assembly station check in Still get their Names called out on the PA system on ships I have been on .

Kind of the X version of The walk of shame?😏

We have pretty much the same routine when boarding Celebrity. 

(1) Watch the safety video after breakfast in the hotel room prior to going to the ship.

(2) After going through Security and the check in process, we board the ship and proceed directly to our muster station

(3) Go to our stateroom and drop off our carry on bags and lock valuables in the safe. 

(4) Go to lunch. 

As we normally sail in Sky Suites, we usually hit the Retreat Lounge if Luminae is not open for lunch yet or go there after lunch to have a drink or two before heading back to our stateroom for sail away. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, spearmint said:

<snip>

Yes, my TA contacted Celebrity in August and was told that first seating was full.  So our only alternative will be select dining, which is fine by us. <snip>

Bill

Are TAs not able to facilitate the change from fixed to select dining? Can it only be done once onboard?

Kay