Transatlantic cruises - are the ships full?

Ocean Mouse

We’ve never been on a Princess TA (we do have Majestic booked for 2025) but sailed on a few with HAL and Celebrity.  We love them!   You can be busy with lots of activities or do nothing, your choice.  The one thing we won’t sacrifice on a TA is cabin comfort.  We choose a cabin that will suit us for the entire trip and request no upgrades.  I couldn’t do an inside cabin.  That’s just me, though.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

Our only TA experience was in 2017 - Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale (although many had been on since the previous cruise Rome to Barcelona).  IIRC it was fully booked.  Few if any kids and I'm speculating that most of the cabins were occupied by singles or couples so the Royal Princess didn't seem crowded except when turning in laundry using the elite benefit.  Over 1/3 of the passengers (1,000+) had elite status and the laundry was taking more than 72 hours. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Over 1/3 of the passengers (1,000+) had elite status and the laundry was taking more than 72 hours. 

Having been on many TA's, we have never had so many Elite's onboard as we have had on the TA's.  On one of our TA's more than half the ship were Elite and laundry took forever to get back.

We recently completed a Trans-Atlantic on Regal Princess.  Yes the ship was full, but one should note that there were very few children.  I assume that there were two passengers/cabin.

No significant problem with lines or crowding, except for production shows in the theatre. 

• Like 2

Went on Ventura a 35 night cruise in March/April  she holds around 3,000 and according to the Captain there were 2,400 onboard. Sadly wished I wasn't one of them, but that doesn't answer your question. Have been transatlantic now 9 times and hope, God willing to make it 10 next year. Have never found them completely full, but as with certain shows, acts etc you still need to be at the venue well in advance of starting time.

8 hours ago, Ocean Mouse said:

Thinking about a transatlantic next year and wondering if the ship carries a full complement of passengers. Do the ships feel crowded?

Why wait 'til next year... the Nov 10th 15 night Sky Princess T/A is available for under $600pp.

5 hours ago, devonuk said:

I hope she does one before that as I’m going her to the US and Canada + return in September 🙏

Sky Princess Nov 28, 2024 Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale. I don't believe there are any Princess ships that sail from the U.S. to Southampton in September. They are all sailing to the Caribbean. 

18 hours ago, skynight said:

Sky Princess Nov 28, 2024 Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale. I don't believe there are any Princess ships that sail from the U.S. to Southampton in September. They are all sailing to the Caribbean. 

Where does it state we’re only referring to West to East TA’s 🤷‍♂️

There’s mention above of TA’s out of Barcelona and Venice 🤔

I’m on the Sky out of Southampton heading stateside on a 31 night return trip back to Southampton which departs on the 15th September 2024. 

4 hours ago, devonuk said:

Where does it state we’re only referring to West to East TA’s 🤷‍♂️

There’s mention above of TA’s out of Barcelona and Venice 🤔

I’m on the Sky out of Southampton heading stateside on a 31 night return trip back to Southampton which departs on the 15th September 2024. 

I see it now. Nice itinerary.

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Whoa...I'm booked on that one! Let's keep that one on the QT!

It currently shows unavailable so it’ll be a full ship.

Many of these short notice fares are amazing but airfares are often very expensive. Surprisingly the LAX/LHR airfare is only $299 but returning on the Saturday after Thanksgiving it’s $601. Even then $1500 for 15 days would be a bargain for air & cruise. Many of the TA fares I see are less expensive & that’s another reason they’re full particularly for those of us who enjoy leisurely days at sea enjoying the onboard experience. 😊

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 8:34 AM, LACruiser88 said:

Having been on many TA's, we have never had so many Elite's onboard as we have had on the TA's.  On one of our TA's more than half the ship were Elite and laundry took forever to get back.

WOW…I thought Sky’s 2019 inaugural TA had many elites but at 1500+ that was less than half of the passengers.

• Like 1

We have sailed on 3 TAs and our 4th is next month.  Last two had over 1,000 Elites on board and had several changes to benefits.  Free laundry service took 6-7 days, no priority tender service, and no reserved lounge on departure day (claimed did not have a big enough venue).  Do not have very many youth on a TA.

Taking the Sky Princess Nov 10, 2023. At final payment date the ship had a lot of cabins in all categories. Then the price reductions to fill the ship and now it appears to be sold out. 

Single supplements were reduced to ~20-25% so there are a lot of singles booked. That should reduce the number of passengers. With fewer families than other itineraries, few cabins will have extra guests. That should be a full ship but less than 100% capacity. On popular cruises the capacity can exceed 110% with 3rd and 4th guests in a cabin.

22 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

WOW…I thought Sky’s 2019 inaugural TA had many elites but at 1500+ that was less than half of the passengers.

17 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Wow!  The longest we have had to wait for laundry to be returned has been 72 hrs.

Just off the Regal TA. 72hts just to get some things pressed. Tried a second time and easily 72hrs for underware ans socks. That was the end of us sending it out.

• Like 1