Selbourne ‘Live’ from Ventura

Selbourne

The cards all looked pristine which made me think it was something new. None of the crew pointed them out though and if you didn’t notice them yourself you would never have known about them. Not much help to me as I had to collect hubbies food as well as my own as I’m sure you are aware. NO trays. 

1 minute ago, BouncingWheel said:

Need to take a collapsible tray onboard to overcome this lunacy. There must have been one invented and available on one these shopping channels. When done, fold it up and pop in bag type thing.

Matalan were selling off folding drawer organisers which took shirts in 2 side by side  compartments , they were about 4 ins deep. That might have worked 🤔   I should have bought one 😂.  

On 11/7/2023 at 1:28 PM, TigerB said:

As it happens, I cancelled our breakfast in Aqua yesterday morning as the boss couldn't get out of bed; she is full of cold. So, I had a lay in myself and popped one deck up to Horizon for my breakfast, for the first time ever ....and the last. 

It will all go in the report!🙄

They probably know they are going on report.....Oh no..he's reaching for the clipboard again..you're for it now.🤣

• Haha 2

On 11/8/2023 at 9:33 AM, terrierjohn said:

Yuk!!!, that looks disgusting, you really are an unlucky fellow when it comes to buffet dining.  But I suppose since we regularly use the  buffet, I quickly get to know the layout, so I know where to find things. Conversely I never enjoy the MDR for breakfast, the food seems tepid compared to the hot food in the buffet, and I always seem to under order,  which of course with self serve never happens. But I would like P&O to have waiters serving coffee and juice at the tables like Princess do  those drink stations are often a nightmare.

I also really enjoy the Jam Shed red wines, although I confess that I don't think I would be able to differentiate them on a blind test.

On balance we prefer the buffet for breakfast as we don't want to spend a lifetime. A quick feed and out. I agree about tea and coffee to the table. A bit more civilised. MDR breakfast doesn't look any more appealing than the buffet, but the presentation is a little more amusing.  It's only food.

20230418_092417.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

Wow. What a good idea. I hope it’s fleet wide as didn’t see that Aurora a few months ago, but then I wasn’t looking for it. 

But just make sure you return it when you leave, otherwise your table could be left out of action.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But just make sure you return it when you leave, otherwise your table could be left out of action.

They will be gone before most folk go to breakfast. They will all be on the sunbeds.🤣

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, zap99 said:

On balance we prefer the buffet for breakfast as we don't want to spend a lifetime. A quick feed and out. I agree about tea and coffee to the table. A bit more civilised. MDR breakfast doesn't look any more appealing than the buffet, but the presentation is a little more amusing.  It's only food.

20230418_092417.jpg

You could add some mushrooms and make a beard!!

Lol

• Haha 5

51 minutes ago, zap99 said:

20230418_092417.jpg

I am glad somebody else is as infantile as I am about food presentation. 😊

19 hours ago, Clodia said:

Solo  cruisers like me find the buffet impossible. You can get food, then there are no tables, or you can put your jacket on a chair then go for food to find someone else has thrown it on the floor when you reach the table. I gave up years ago.

I always take a brightly coloured (or distinctive) handbag and put it on a table whilst I go to collect food - it’s also good in guiding me back to the right table! 😀 Good idea re the card though - I’ll check it out next month on Azura.   Clodia - I see you have been on Iona.  How did you find that as a solo?   

1 hour ago, Ilovemygarden said:

I always take a brightly coloured (or distinctive) handbag and put it on a table whilst I go to collect food - it’s also good in guiding me back to the right table! 😀 Good idea re the card though - I’ll check it out next month on Azura.   Clodia - I see you have been on Iona.  How did you find that as a solo?   

50% of the population may be reluctant to take any handbag to the buffet, never mind a brightly coloured or distinctive one. 

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Slightly off topic, but personally I would never put a bag of any description on a table. Bags are likely to have been on dirty surfaces and floors, even toilet floors, and other similar unhygienic places. For this reason I do not feel it appropriate to place bags on a table where people put food. Leaving a bag on a chair yes, but not on a table please.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Clodia said:

Solo  cruisers like me find the buffet impossible. You can get food, then there are no tables, or you can put your jacket on a chair then go for food to find someone else has thrown it on the floor when you reach the table. I gave up years ago.

that must be infuriating! On Azura last month there were small folded cards saying "still in use, do not clear" or similar and we used those sometimes when we both wandered off to find more food! 

On 11/8/2023 at 3:31 PM, TigerB said:

If, as has happened on a few nights, our menu mirrors yours tonight, I am really glad we are in the Epicurean rather than Opal. As a pescatarian, I always look for the fish dish, and I like sea bream; but it has, what our lass calls, prostitute ham with it, so that would be a definite no-no. None of the veggie dishes appeal to me either.

I can recommend the veggie shepherd's pie. Had it twice it was so tasty - lots of veggies including plenty of mushrooms, no fake meat. 

I’ve just purchased a final 24 hours internet coverage with some of our remaining OBC. I shall post yesterdays report in a minute, but first here’s yesterdays MDR dinner menu and the MDR wine list for those who might be interested. IMHO the prices are extremely reasonable. Also, without wishing to reignite the debate about preserves, I’ve attached a photo of what greeted us on our table in the MDR this morning. I can’t imagine that I’m the only person who finds this presentation a bit off-putting? 

IMG_0921.jpeg

IMG_0925.jpeg

IMG_0926.jpeg

IMG_0927.jpeg

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, True Devonian said:

Slightly off topic, but personally I would never put a bag of any description on a table. Bags are likely to have been on dirty surfaces and floors, even toilet floors, and other similar unhygienic places. For this reason I do not feel it appropriate to place bags on a table where people put food. Leaving a bag on a chair yes, but not on a table please.

Surely the food is on a plate, not the table?  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’ve just purchased a final 24 hours internet coverage with some of our remaining OBC. I shall post yesterdays report in a minute, but first here’s yesterdays MDR dinner menu and the MDR wine list for those who might be interested. IMHO the prices are extremely reasonable. Also, without wishing to reignite the debate about preserves, I’ve attached a photo of what greeted us on our table in the MDR this morning. I can’t imagine that I’m the only person who finds this presentation a bit off-putting? 

IMG_0921.jpeg

IMG_0925.jpeg

IMG_0926.jpeg

IMG_0927.jpeg

That dinner menu looks awfully familiar. I think you posted it yesterday as well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

IMG_0921.jpeg

IMG_0925.jpeg

IMG_0926.jpeg

IMG_0927.jpeg

You have made my day by posting the wine list that shows that, despite being £13.40 a large glass, ‘Velvet Devil’ red wine is part of the drinks package that we have bought for our cruise next week. 

Not quite so positive about the orange jelly masquerading as marmalade though. A nice dark thick cut one like Frank Cooper’s Oxford or even that that Mrs Pete makes would be much better. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jh1809 said:

That dinner menu looks awfully familiar. I think you posted it yesterday as well.

If that’s the case apologies for the repeat. I usually delete the photo once I’ve posted it. Must have messed up my system this time. Haven’t seen tonight’s menu yet.