Turning 4 star and nobody is interested in it

JanDom

Here is a quote

For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

• Like 4

My 3 star pin was left on the bed.  I haven't seen a 4 star pin.  Honestly could not care less, as POA1 mentioned, I was after the complementary laundry, and 50% discount on wine packages.  😄

My DH is pretty impressed that we often get to go in the "shorter line" because my 4* benefits cover him, too.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ski ww said:

You can go to front desk and get your four* pin. At one time they did have a small recognition ceremony were the Capt gave you your medallion on a cruise after you reached your next level. They might do so on your next cruise. Don't know if the even do it any more, have not seen it done on our last three cruises.  

The medallions are for numbers of days actually onboard. Not to be confused with Mariner point system, which you just achieved. Congratulations.

The four star perks will come, but do they register only after your last cruise that qualified you for the 4-star perks. There is no recognition ceremony for Mariner status -but maybe a special luncheon for all Mariners. 

Medallion ceremonies invitees for actual numbers of cruise days sailed  tend to be now limited to the higher actual cruise days medallion qualifiers usually at least silver (350), gold (500 days), platinum (750) etc plus President Club members, depending on the threshold decided for each cruise even though 100- bronze medallions are still awarded.  But  I think they just get  dropped off in the cabin (??)

Some cruises we have been on hadover 800 "4 star" cruisers, which makes a very unwieldy amount for both perks and parties. They often held these events in double shifts.   Probably one of the current and necessary onboard cost- cutting casualties - cocktail parties for a least 800 Mariner guests. 

Celebrate your 4 star status the way most of us do - sending out that first bag of "free laundry". 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, SanDiegian said:

My TransAtlantic Oct2019 Mariner Ceremony image.thumb.png.26f391def74f4c15a48befe3f784249f.png

aboard the Neuw Amsterdam hosted by Captain

This is the Medallion Ceremony for actual days cruised; not the Mariner recognition for points accumulated.  And it was 2019 - pre "covid" so  the bronze medallions for 100 days were still awarded at that event. 

Last two Medallion ceremonies we attended post-"covid"  no bronze recognitions and very trimmed down invite list. Though they did a special recognition of  those with high Mariner point status - 1000 Mariner points plus even though this does not offer any additional Mariner perks. 

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Last two Medallion ceremonies we attended post-"covid"  no bronze recognitions and very trimmed down invite list.

We attended our bronze reception in May 2023 on a TA (Zuiderdam).  Nearly 100 bronze recipients.  Only bronze were awarded at this particular ceremony.  Assuming a separate reception for the higher levels.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JanDom said:

Hello to all HAL Cruisers.

We were on a 14 days cruise with the Rotterdam in May.
During this cruise we turned from a 3 star to a 4 star Mariner…. And nobody was interest in that…. Back home we wrote a nice email if we will get any informations about that but we never ever got an answer.

The only way we know that we turned to 4 star is when logging in on the HAL homepage and have a look in our Mariner account.

For us it seems a little bit like they are not interested in us any more.

(we are in our early 40‘s and plenty of time to do a lot more cruises in our life).

We are pretty sad about this situation, because HAL always was our favourite cruise line. 

Does anybody of you had this before?

Thanks and greets

Janine 

I don't think it was lack of interest just how the calculate when you reach the milestone.

Depending on how you make four star on the cruise. We made four star by days and received our pin on the last day. Friends made it by a combination of days and points (points are awarded after cruise books are closed) and did not get notified of their four-star status till a few weeks later when it showed up on their account. Like others have mentioned they just went to guest services and picked up a new pin on the next cruise. We both enjoyed our four star benefits on the next cruise. 

On a side note, my wife and I will reach 5-star on our next cruise but do not expect to get our pin till a future cruise. The cruise length is a few days short of what we need so it will take the points we earn to get to 5-star status. Whether I get the pin before a cruise or at guest services my status is always shown on my boarding pass and key card.

Like others have said about the only time status changes during a cruise is on Grand & WC when you meet the milestone by day count.

I may reach 4* on my January Eurodam sailing (depending on my onboard spending, probably).  I do not recall receiving a 3* pin.  I'll have to look.

Carnival "upgrades" you to the next level while on that cruise, which is nice.  But I know HAL doesn't because of the calculation for days + spending.

Would be nice to have laundry for next October's Rotterdam TA.  I've been Platinum on Carnival for many cruises and don't use the laundry service often (I really don't trust those gigantic industrial machines to not ruin my semi-delicate clothes) but I've read posts here that HAL's laundry folks are very good at following specific instructions and requests, so I'll be tempted to try sending out something other than light/white cotton t-shirts, undies and socks! 

I do appreciate the 3* discount on wine packages and specialty dining for those sailing where I haven't booked HIA and look forward to additional discounts when I reach 4*.

We reached 5* on our last cruise and received our pins on the bed the next day.  I’m more interested in the perks than the pins though.  What do people actually do with the pins?  I’ve never worn one.  Usually goes in a drawer to be thrown away later.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SanDiegian said:

My TransAtlantic Oct2019 Mariner Ceremony image.thumb.png.26f391def74f4c15a48befe3f784249f.png

aboard the Neuw Amsterdam hosted by Captain

We reached exactly 100 ship days on a different 2019 TransAtlantic (Zuiderdam). I think we were invited to a luncheon, which I thought was "just" a Mariners Luncheon... No medal and have never gotten a pin (I bought the 3-star one on eBay!). The servers all wore fancy Indonesian tunics (like bright patterned guayaberas); that was nice.

@JanDom I got us JUST to 4* on a back-to-back over last New Year. The 16 days plus HIA plus staying in a Vista Suite put us 2 points over the threshhold! And used the pandemic Future Cruise Credits that were due to expire as well. Although I had done my own calculations, I did wait with bated breath until I saw 4* on the website! 

To echo many above, the reason for the calculated B2B -- besides the FCC and to prove we could cruise and not come home with COVID -- was to get to Free Laundry Land before our THREE 35-day bookings in 2024! Have never gotten a letter or e-mail recognizing a step-up in Mariner Society.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dutchman48 said:

I don't think it was lack of interest just how the calculate when you reach the milestone.

Depending on how you make four star on the cruise. We made four star by days and received our pin on the last day. Friends made it by a combination of days and points (points are awarded after cruise books are closed) and did not get notified of their four-star status till a few weeks later when it showed up on their account. Like others have mentioned they just went to guest services and picked up a new pin on the next cruise. We both enjoyed our four star benefits on the next cruise. 

On a side note, my wife and I will reach 5-star on our next cruise but do not expect to get our pin till a future cruise. The cruise length is a few days short of what we need so it will take the points we earn to get to 5-star status. Whether I get the pin before a cruise or at guest services my status is always shown on my boarding pass and key card.

Like others have said about the only time status changes during a cruise is on Grand & WC when you meet the milestone by day count.

We made it with days of cruising.

our neighbours got some pins during the cruise.

we do not wear our pins also, but it is a nice information so you know your goodies changed for your next planned cruises … 

11 minutes ago, JanDom said:

We made it with days of cruising.

our neighbours got some pins during the cruise.

we do not wear our pins also, but it is a nice information so you know your goodies changed for your next planned cruises … 

In this case, you should have received your pins in your room whilst onboard. Somewhere in the process, someone made an error.  Was your email sent to the Mariner_Society@hollandamerica.com?  They would be in charge of ensuring you receive your pins on your next sailing.

I understand your disappointment in the lack of acknowledgement.  When they set expectations which they do not meet, it is only natural to feel a lack of recognition; especially when you see that others are being recognized and you are not.

One sailing, my husband received his 3* pin and I, too, received a 3* pin.  The only difference was that his pin * was correct and mine was not.  I did not need, nor want, two 3* pins.  😂  I gave it back and they gave me the correct one, but I guess I could have sent it to @NCTribeFan instead.  

• Haha 2

Our next cruise which is this coming Saturday we will hit 300 actual days sailed with HAL on the 4th day and about that same day depending on our spending but since we already have the HIA and I have booked Spa in advance we will also hit 5 star. 

We kind of expect to be recognized with our Silver Medallion but know we definitely will not be recognized or see our 5 Star pin till our next cruise which will actually be just 29 days after we disembark the Koningsdam and board the Nieuw Statendam.

My understanding it is very rare to be recognized reaching a Mariner status on the cruise you reach it unless you are on a World or Grand Voyage.One must wait till the next cruise after they achieve that status.

• Like 2

I’ve always received my pin on the voyage in which it was achieved as the count was by sea days alone.  When I needed only 4 credits till 4*, I called the Mariner Society and was told that benefits won’t begin until the following cruise.  He said I’d be recognized with a pin during the voyage but there would be no benefits.  I was fine with that but thought it was worth a try.  (Hey, the answer is always “no” if you don’t ask.)

Having said the above, however, we all know (and have seen) that there are exceptions to every single rule that HAL has.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SDARCH said:

We attended our bronze reception in May 2023 on a TA (Zuiderdam).  Nearly 100 bronze recipients.  Only bronze were awarded at this particular ceremony.  Assuming a separate reception for the higher levels.

That could explain the changes we saw.  Glad there was the recognition. Ours was a very small affair. Thanks.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

We kind of expect to be recognized with our Silver Medallion

On the cruises I have been on post covid, there have been Medallion ceremonies - usually for silver and up.  I hope there is one on your cruise.  It’s a nice albeit short experience 🙂 

• Like 1

We were just on a 10 day cruise on the Zuiderdam. I had needed only 2 days to reach 5 star prior to the cruise. We stayed in acNeptune Suite and I was not expecting my 5star pin until completing the cruise. About the 5th day there was a 5 star pin left on my bed with a card saying please accept the tile as thanks for sailing. Of course the tile came later that night. 

• Like 2

Congratulations on 4*, @JanDom! You don’t get a ceremony, BUT you get free laundry, a free wine tasting with a cheese plate, half price on specialty dining and wine packages, and priority tendering. Free laundry is huge. That beats a ceremony every time! Five stars adds in two free Pinnacle Dinners and not much else, so 4* is the big one.

Medallions are presented with a ceremony and a free drink for those attending. There are no perks or privileges attached, but they look nice on a Christmas tree. We should get our gold medallions for 500 days on our next cruise. Free laundry and half price wine are still the perks I hold most dear.

• Like 2

On 10/29/2023 at 3:36 AM, JanDom said:

Hello to all HAL Cruisers.

We were on a 14 days cruise with the Rotterdam in May.
During this cruise we turned from a 3 star to a 4 star Mariner…. And nobody was interest in that…. Back home we wrote a nice email if we will get any informations about that but we never ever got an answer.

The only way we know that we turned to 4 star is when logging in on the HAL homepage and have a look in our Mariner account.

For us it seems a little bit like they are not interested in us any more.

(we are in our early 40‘s and plenty of time to do a lot more cruises in our life).

We are pretty sad about this situation, because HAL always was our favourite cruise line. 

Does anybody of you had this before?

Thanks and greets

Janine 

Right before the pandemic hit we made 4 Star on a cruise with 3 days left and were notified with a congratulations note in our cabin along with our new pins. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2023 at 9:07 AM, Riversedge said:

We reached 5* on our last cruise and received our pins on the bed the next day.  I’m more interested in the perks than the pins though.  What do people actually do with the pins?  I’ve never worn one.  Usually goes in a drawer to be thrown away later.  

I reached four star status four cruises ago. Never got a pin.

We received the bronze medallion in our stateroom at the end of our last cruise in September. No ceremony. They were a surprise to us, and we had a good time trying to figure out where and when we should wear them. Do people ever wear them on board? How do those who have them use them? 

18 minutes ago, loveapug said:

We received the bronze medallion in our stateroom at the end of our last cruise in September. No ceremony. They were a surprise to us, and we had a good time trying to figure out where and when we should wear them. Do people ever wear them on board? How do those who have them use them? 

There was a time about 10 years ago when HAL would have a nice Mariner Reception and everyone with their Medallions would wear them, it was actually kind of fun. Many people had numerous other type of Holland America pins and Inaugural pins they would also place on the ribbon. Others would have vests made up with pins placed on them. I am not exactly sure when it stopped but suddenly no one did it anymore. I think a lot of it was due to HAL not having the receptions like they had in the past. It was actually quite popular in 2005 through 2014 or 2015 and some where shortly after it just stopped.

• Like 4

Just now, LAFFNVEGAS said:

There was a time about 10 years ago when HAL would have a nice Mariner Reception and everyone with their Medallions would wear them, it was actually kind of fun. Many people had numerous other type of Holland America pins and Inaugural pins they would also place on the ribbon. Others would have vests made up with pins placed on them. I am not exactly sure when it stopped but suddenly no one did it anymore. I think a lot of it was due to HAL not having the receptions like they had in the past. It was actually quite popular in 2005 through 2014 or 2015 and some where shortly after it just stopped.

Still did it on Maasdam in Dec 2019. Picture with captain, etc.followed by a lunch which is the only time I actually wore the medallion. It's in a drawer with all my tiles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loveapug said:

We received the bronze medallion in our stateroom at the end of our last cruise in September. No ceremony....Do people ever wear them on board? How do those who have them use them? 

I'm with @Horizon chaser 1957 -- put them on the artificial Xmas tree. Now I'm wondering if we were supposed to pick up our bronze medalions at that luncheon, and just didn't know it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I'm with @Horizon chaser 1957 -- put them on the artificial Xmas tree. Now I'm wondering if we were supposed to pick up our bronze medalions at that luncheon, and just didn't know it.

The people that I knee got bronze medallions received them in their cabin (on their bed) the night before the medallion ceremony IIRC.

• Like 1