R Class Ships

laurietope

1 hour ago, zalusky said:

True but the ship has been various refreshes why couldn’t they have added a bathroom and taken out a stateroom for an additional laundry facility.

That’s easy…$$$. How much would they gain by removing 2 interior cabins for another laundry?  Nothing.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bradpole said:

That’s easy…$$$. How much would they gain by removing 2 interior cabins for another laundry?  Nothing.  

And this is why I, my wife,  and a number of others will never sail on an R class ship again.

With this attitude why did they do the Oceania Next on the R class ships what did it gain them.

This is one of a number of reasons they are farther away from luxury on an R class ship.

4 hours ago, zalusky said:

And this is why I, my wife,  and a number of others will never sail on an R class ship again.

With this attitude why did they do the Oceania Next on the R class ships what did it gain them.

This is one of a number of reasons they are farther away from luxury on an R class ship.

The 'R'-class was designed in the 1980s, and has some surprising limitations.  One that comes to mind is that OceaniaNEXT promised "rainfall" showerheads, but then O found they could not plumb water through the deckheads.

1980s?!?  Yeah, they *are* getting obsolescent.  Methinks they'd have been gone during COVID, but O didn't want to drop to a 2-ship line.

I’ve travelled on both and I agree you need a PH on the R ships.

When it comes to itinerary, then for me, the Fjords win hands down.

The Canaries may be a disappointment. They are all quite similar, volcanic, with national parks etc. 

The fjords on the other hand are ‘spectacular.  Sailing through the clear waters is completely different to ‘sea’ sailing.

You will have to pick your timing very carefully to see the Northern lights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

Doing an overnight in Bora Bora in March on the Regatta.  Oceania’s other ships are too large to visit.  

Quite a few of us have been there on Marina. 

• Like 1

I have made no secret of our unwillingness to book any of the R ships (on any line).  Why?  At one time we did cruise on the R ships (took the R4 in Tahiti when the ship was new).  But times change, ship standards change, and we (passengers change).  If I am going to pay the price for a Premium or Luxury line I expect a Premium or Luxury ship!  No matter how folks want to spin the facts, the normal outside and balcony cabins on the R ships barely meet todays standards for a budget line....much less a Premium line (with premium prices).  The cabin bathrooms are ridiculously small, the showers tight, and no way do these cabins justify the price charged by "O" (or Azamara).  

That is our story and we are sticking to it 🙂

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I have made no secret of our unwillingness to book any of the R ships (on any line).  Why?  At one time we did cruise on the R ships (took the R4 in Tahiti when the ship was new).  But times change, ship standards change, and we (passengers change).  If I am going to pay the price for a Premium or Luxury line I expect a Premium or Luxury ship!  No matter how folks want to spin the facts, the normal outside and balcony cabins on the R ships barely meet todays standards for a budget line....much less a Premium line (with premium prices).  The cabin bathrooms are ridiculously small, the showers tight, and no way do these cabins justify the price charged by "O" (or Azamara).  

Hank

PH on . Sirena in early 2020 was excellent and a few a very nice space 

Hank your observations are always  appreciated  we sail on Vista on January 31 and look forward to it

Best to you and DW

21 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

PH on . Sirena in early 2020 was excellent and a few a very nice space 

Hank your observations are always  appreciated  we sail on Vista on January 31 and look forward to it

Best to you and DW

We are on the Vista a couple of months after you :).  Looking forward to your observations.

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The cabin bathrooms are ridiculously small, the showers tight, and no way do these cabins justify the price charged by "O" (or Azamara).  

They compare favorably to the bathrooms on EU river cruises! I’ve done Emerald and Uniworld and I’ll bet the river boat bathrooms are MUCH smaller. 
Had a blast on the EU river cruises, and had a blast on Sirena! 
Enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

They compare favorably to the bathrooms on EU river cruises! I’ve done Emerald and Uniworld and I’ll bet the river boat bathrooms are MUCH smaller. 
Had a blast on the EU river cruises, and had a blast on Sirena! 
Enjoy your cruise!

True.  They also are larger than the bathrooms in most RVs.  But not sure what this has to do with Ocean cruise ships 🙂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

True.  They also are larger than the bathrooms in most RVs.  But not sure what this has to do with Ocean cruise ships 🙂

I appreciate everyone's frankness. We've only done a couple of cruises on Marina.  We are in a guaranteed place will keep our fingers crossed. I deal directly with a certain O rep and we've developed a relationship....

• Thanks 1

FDR, Senior, made it quite clear to new passengers on the Vista that the R ships are on the way out. Vista will do the ATW 26 cruise, not the Insignia.

Come back in 5 years and there will be 3 A Class ships and two O Class ships. Lovers of the R Class, love them while they last. The clock is ticking. But hey, one can do a lot of R Class cruises in 5 years. 

The showers on balcony and below are terribly small.  If you have calm seas, I have found it tolerable as a not so small person, but we have had a lot of rough seas on our trips, and I can't stand banging into the sides while I am trying to wash.  Don't drop the soap, either, hahaha!  The 2 specialty restaurants versus 4 was also a downside since our last 2 7 day cruises repeated the menu in the MDR and terrace the last 2 days and did not have anything I really cared for.  With that said, I had a fantastic time, and I know I am super picky and have no complaints overall, so I am only telling you the downsides that I saw.

• Thanks 1

We have yet to do the Amazon and have friends who want to do it with us but one of them won't fly. We booked round trip Miami on Nautica for next year. Have not been on an R ship in 5 years but will "suck it up" for this experience. If an upsell for a PH becomes available, we'll take it. If not, I'll shower in the spa.

• Like 1