New to Celebrity, Diamond on Royal Caribbean

Oliver6144

Good Afternoon, I am going on my first Celebrity cruise in January on the Equinox.  I have a few questions.  First, are we allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine onboard per person? Do they need to be in your carry on bag?  I am entitled to 2 free drinks per day I believe.  Are they between 5-7 pm?  Can I also attend the elite happy hour and get an additional drink or is that included in my 2?  Any other differences I should know about would be greatly appreciated.  Haven’t done a cruise since 2019, so I feel like I’m out of the loop.

Thanks!

Welcome to Celebrity.  I hope you find it to be a good fit.  I presume you have already verified that your reciprocal status is recorded.  

The wine limit can be confusing.  It was 2 bottles per stateroom, then became 2 bottles per person, and the current policy is 1 bottle per person.  I do not think it is required to be in carry-on, however I find that is easier and does not risk a trip to the “naughty” room.  

As to the 2 drinks per day, that is incorrect.  Elite members have free drinks from a limited menu from 5-7 daily, except embarkation day.  They recently reinstituted a happy hour lounge for a few nights on some sailings, I believe, but the drinks are never counted against a maximum.

29 minutes ago, long time lurker said:

Welcome to Celebrity.  I hope you find it to be a good fit.  I presume you have already verified that your reciprocal status is recorded.  

The wine limit can be confusing.  It was 2 bottles per stateroom, then became 2 bottles per person, and the current policy is 1 bottle per person.  I do not think it is required to be in carry-on, however I find that is easier and does not risk a trip to the “naughty” room.  

As to the 2 drinks per day, that is incorrect.  Elite members have free drinks from a limited menu from 5-7 daily, except embarkation day.  They recently reinstituted a happy hour lounge for a few nights on some sailings, I believe, but the drinks are never counted against a maximum.

I have a question,where’s the best place to get a coffee in the morning?

Do they have a coffee machine like the diamond lounge on Royal?

Just now, Chiliburn said:

I have a question,where’s the best place to get a coffee in the morning?

Do they have a coffee machine like the diamond lounge on Royal?

They have an Elite breakfast from 8-10 am

there is no all-day-long dedicated lounge like on Royal

• Thanks 1

Cafe AL Bacio is the very popular coffee "bar" on Celebrity ships. Other than that coffee is available 24/7 in the buffet, called Ocean View Cafe. From about 7:20 AM until about 2:00PM there is a free coffee machine in the Spa Cafe (which is available to all on board). Unlimited number of free drinks from 5-7 in most bars, but only from a Happy Hour Captain's Club menu which I feel is fairly broad. There are different wines and several different types of mixed drinks. Each bar has the menu. 

4 minutes ago, 39august said:

Cafe AL Bacio is the very popular coffee "bar" on Celebrity ships. Other than that coffee is available 24/7 in the buffet, called Ocean View Cafe. From about 7:20 AM until about 2:00PM there is a free coffee machine in the Spa Cafe (which is available to all on board). Unlimited number of free drinks from 5-7 in most bars, but only from a Happy Hour Captain's Club menu which I feel is fairly broad. There are different wines and several different types of mixed drinks. Each bar has the menu. 

What’s the coffee like in the buffet,will it kill you like on Royal ? 

Also on the captain’s menu do they do mixed drinks like bourbon and coke?

19 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I have never liked the coffee in the buffet or from room service.  Feel is it very much like that served on Royal Caribbean.  Cafe al Bacio is amazing but the coffee there is not free unless you have a drink package. 

To get a bourbon and coke during Elite Happy Hour, you would simply order Jim Beam and Coke. 

Also you can get free bottles of water and cans of soda during the Elite Happy Hour.  

As a reminder, as many of us find this unusual, you cannot get the Elite Happy Hour free drinks in the dining room.  You can get your drink at a bar and take it into the dining room but cannot order it while in the dining room. 

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I have never liked the coffee in the buffet or from room service.  Feel is it very much like that served on Royal Caribbean.  Cafe al Bacio is amazing but the coffee there is not free unless you have a drink package. 

To get a bourbon and coke during Elite Happy Hour, you would simply order Jim Beam and Coke. 

Also you can get free bottles of water and cans of soda during the Elite Happy Hour.  

As a reminder, as many of us find this unusual, you cannot get the Elite Happy Hour free drinks in the dining room.  You can get your drink at a bar and take it into the dining room but cannot order it while in the dining room. 

Yeah ,that is odd about the dining room. It’s just RCG ,some things just don’t add up.

Cafe al bacio can you get a coffee card and what about the buffet ,does the bar make coffee for a price?

Just now, Chiliburn said:

Yeah ,that is odd about the dining room. It’s just RCG ,some things just don’t add up.

Cafe al bacio can you get a coffee card and what about the buffet ,does the bar make coffee for a price?

No, they do not have coffee cards on Celebrity.  It's pay as you go. 

Coffee in the buffet is free, unless you order a specialty or premium coffee from one of the servers. 

On some of the ships there is a smaller version of Cafe al Bacio near the buffet entrance where these are available for purchase.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Are there any free internet days for a elite?

Some of us prefer RCL Diamond benefits and others prefer the Celebrity Elite benefits. IMO, Celebrity is better for free internet and a free bag of laundry. The free internet is 90 minutes that you can spread over the length of the cruise, unlike the consecutive 24-hour benefit on RCL. For those of us who never purchase an alcohol package, the free drinks on RCL is a much better benefit. We all value different things, so you will have to make your own decision as far as benefits. 

Edited by SFCAcruiser
typo

5 hours ago, Oliver6144 said:

Wow, thank you all so much for all the information!  It’s very helpful!  Does anyone have any idea what kinds of Chardonnay are available?    I’m kind of a wine snob, lol, just curious if anyone knows.

Oh my. If the quality of the wine is important to you, you may have to resign yourself to purchasing a glass or bottle from the wine list. The free Elite happy hour wine is basically Chateau Rotgut  with varying labels. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, SFCAcruiser said:

Oh my. If the quality of the wine is important to you, you may have to resign yourself to purchasing a glass or bottle from the wine list. The free Elite happy hour wine is basically Chateau Rotgut  with varying labels. 

Yes, it might come down to that!  Really cheap wine gives me a headache.  Thanks

The elite breakfast has very good coffee and you can get the usual morning alcoholic beverages there. Morning alcoholic beverages include mimosas, bloodies, belinis, and coffees with booze.

In addition to the above, there is also an Elite and higher Music and Mixology with free drinks from the Elite menu, as well as the Captain's Club gathering and the gathering with the Senior Officers.  Elite members also get a backstage tour in the theatre, which was very informative when we did it.  

Enjoy your cruise...we love Celebrity! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

We love the buffet coffee once they made the switch to lavazza a few years ago. 

I think rccl diamond perks are far superior to elite celebrity perks , rccl gives you four drinks with a much bigger selection at any bar , a discount on balcony and suites, plus free pictures. Celebrity does have superior suite perks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, George C said:

I think rccl diamond perks are far superior to elite celebrity perks , rccl gives you four drinks with a much bigger selection at any bar , a discount on balcony and suites, plus free pictures. Celebrity does have superior suite perks.

I definitely like getting 4 drinks on rccl also.  The selection seems much better!  I have always wanted to try celebrity, so we shall see.  I also love the itinerary, I get bored of the itineraries on rccl.

• Like 1