Gratuities Are Going Up Again, Effective 11.11.2023

ace1zoe2

23 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

If 100% of passengers paid the suggested amount it wouldn't change RCI's increases in the slightest.

You may be right, but my understanding from one of the many posts on this subject, is that RCL guarantees a certain amount of compensation to its staff and if the gratuity pool is short then have to make up the deficit.

9 hours ago, Jetdriver787 said:

I’m surprised they haven’t added an 18% to the gratuity charge yet? 🤷‍♂️

I'm surprised that the 18% has not increased.  On land, at least in my area, some restaurants the minimum that appears on the tab is 20% and on top of that some restaurants add a % for the usage of the CC. 

15 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I can write the letter if you want one. I was teasing @OCSC Mike .. about his change in itinerary they always write it's to enhance your experience.  ...all changes are to enhance your experience. Every email I get with changes says that. 

Even I'm a bit tired of the tacked on costs. This might be my first and last 3 weeks onboard a ship. My bookings are down, and tips and prices only up. Booking less. 

I am halfway through these responses and I have not seen the ever present standard answer of "it's the law of supply and demand, RCI has record occupancy this year......"

I am with you. My bookings have stopped as of December 2022.  I had 23 nights booked for 2023. So far, 7 nights for 2024 and none for 2025.

I am going to wait on the sidelines for a while and try some other experiences with the money.

The CEO was right that cruising was less expensive than other experiences and it was his mission to get cruise prices "more aligned" with other vacation experiences. In doing so, he is negating the advantages that cruising offered and opening up the door for people to look for other experiences that now cost the same due to increased cruise total expenses.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, nelblu said:

You may be right, but my understanding from one of the many posts on this subject, is that RCL guarantees a certain amount of compensation to its staff and if the gratuity pool is short then have to make up the deficit.

Right, so if gratuities are paid and contractual obligations are met RCI has three choices. They can leave pricing alone, they can raise gratuities and give their employees more money, or they can raise gratuities and pocket the difference. RCI has already rejected the first option. Maybe Mr. Liberty is also in the tip pool?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dear Diamond, Diamond plus, and Pinnacle. Please go away because the younger generation with families will pay extra for the experience without regard for cost and level of service. Thank you for your prior loyalty.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Royal Carribean

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I am halfway through these responses and I have not seen the ever present standard answer of "it's the law of supply and demand, RCI has record occupancy this year......"

I am with you. My bookings have stopped as of December 2022.  I had 23 nights booked for 2023. So far, 7 nights for 2024 and none for 2025.

I am going to wait on the sidelines for a while and try some other experiences with the money.

The CEO was right that cruising was less expensive than other experiences and it was his mission to get cruise prices "more aligned" with other vacation experiences. In doing so, he is negating the advantages that cruising offered and opening up the door for people to look for other experiences that now cost the same due to increased cruise total expenses.

I don't really care about supply and demand. What I care about is whether or not I feel that I am getting good value for my money. I usually do a winter and spring cruise. Spring cruise isn't happening. I can't justify the expense.

And... all of your post makes perfect sense.

14 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

Family of 4, gratuities equal $504 for 7 night cruise in addition to the inflated cruise fares now due to higher demand. We will see when demand cools...

So far, the CEO thinks things will not cool and he is trying to rake in as much additional profit as possible.

This is great for the stockholders but not so great for experienced cruisers getting sticker shock going into next year.

It will take some time to see how this really affects prices, maybe 2025 will be the turning point as many experienced cruisers book years in advance.

As of now, RCI is enjoying high demand and getting premium prices. Absolutely no incentive for RCI to reduce what they charge until demand drops.

• Like 2

Just now, cargopilot said:

Dear Diamond, Diamond plus, and Pinnacle. Please go away because the younger generation with families will pay extra for the experience without regard for cost and level of service. Thank you for your prior loyalty.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Royal Carribean

And when the next recession rears its head, or the next pandemic comes along, we will welcome you all back with open arms just like we did with the reopening when the average person would not set foot on a cruise ship.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Right, so if gratuities are paid and contractual obligations are met RCI has three choices. They can leave pricing alone, they can raise gratuities and give their employees more money, or they can raise gratuities and pocket the difference. RCI has already rejected the first option. Maybe Mr. Liberty is also in the tip pool?

The gist of my post is that when Paxs remove their gratuities, in essence the rest of the Paxs that maintain their automatic grats are subsidizing the grats pool.

16 hours ago, ace1zoe2 said:

Just received an email that gratuities are increasing $2 per person per day effective 11.11.2023. You can pre-pay prior to that date for any future cruises to avoid the increase. I know tipping is a hot topic but if everyone would just pay their part the ones that do what the cruise line suggests wouldn't take the hit for everyone.

image.thumb.png.85b3d8ed176118f30a9fa0f7c0ccd9f2.png

Yeah, that means service will improve!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, nelblu said:

The gist of my post is that when Paxs remove their gratuities, in essence the rest of the Paxs that maintain their automatic grats are subsidizing the grats pool.

I got your point. My point is that even if 100% of people participate it would not prevent the increases.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

The end will be if Royal introduces those pesky daily resorts fees.🤣  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

And when the next recession rears its head, or the next pandemic comes along, we will welcome you all back with open arms just like we did with the reopening when the average person would not set foot on a cruise ship.

BINGO!

Maybe I save some of my cruise money for the down cycle a year or two away and make up for the cruise days I will miss next year.

I enjoy cruising but I am not addicted to it.

So much more to life, I will spend that time not cruising at some of my local beaches listening and looking at the waves. This is the same thing I do from the pool deck or my balcony.

🫠

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Then it isn’t a gratuity, is it? What you just described is a salary subsidy. 

I refuse to participate 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bretts173 said:

They made the messaging function in the app free (previously not) a couple of years ago. Only 2 pages on here regarding that when it dropped.

No one likes positive news 

Hardly positive news. They were FORCED to make this change because the messaging function is next to worthless a not worth paying for. Also, no other lines joined in on this money grab, this made Royal look bad. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nelblu said:

In the Navy, after a ship was overhauled or repaired, we would go for a "Shake-Down" cruise which would have every system heavily tested to see if the repairs could handle expectations.

RCI is now doing "Shake-Down" cruises but they are testing your financial limits to see how much stress the consumer can handle.

🤣

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

In the Navy, after a ship was overhauled or repaired, we would go for a "Shake-Down" cruise which would have every system heavily tested to see if the repairs could handle expectations.

RCI is now doing "Shake-Down" cruises but they are testing your financial limits to see how much stress the consumer can handle.

🤣

We should know as we live in a test tube environment in the great Garden State.  From real estate taxes, the almost annual toll increases, and the other nickel and dime crap are a source of constant heartburn.🤣

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Or, for those who don't like bundled charges and prefer a la cart you can opt out. You simply swipe your seapass to enter any venue and get charged the entry fee.... plus 18% of course. That might reduce Schooner Bar trivia crowding.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, nelblu said:

We should know as we live in a test tube environment in the great Garden State.  From real estate taxes, the almost annual toll increases, and the other nickel and dime crap are a source of constant heartburn.🤣

I recently had to make a drive to NJ. I was amazed at the charges that appeared on my EZ-Pass account after I got home.🫨

• Like 1