Dining Package Reservations Will Now Be Available Pre-Cruise

10 minutes ago, pcur said:

However, if you track the prices it can be worthwhile to purchase the UDP.  I did with my sister on the Vision last year, and we averaged $15 per meal for both lunches and dinners combined.

Right now I'm tracking for all my booked cruises, and it's running between $24 - $35 per meal.  This is lunches and dinners.

Agreed

Like you we total up the price if we had purchased as a single reservation.

Add in lunches and all dinners and we typically save $150 - $225 from buying the UDP as opposed to single purchases

MDR for us we will do when we just get a 3 night package, otherwise we utilize Solarium Bistro or CK on the Big ladies 

For us the UDP or packages with the ability in the future to lock in days and times is so refreshing and makes it more of a complete offering, rather than 1/2 a product 

Edited by PompeySailor
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, molly361 said:

I wonder if the price for your dining package goes down and you cancel and rebook if you lose all your ressies and have to hope your days and times are still available

Haha yeah that would be the downside... Never thought about that.  I suspect that is what would happen.  That'll be an incentive to keep the higher priced booking.

22 hours ago, Tudy said:

Royal Caribbean is already testing the option for those with a dining package to pre-book on one of its ships, Wonder of the Seas.

I'm sorry, this is what I read and thought that "already" meant that it was currently being done.

That’s how I read it too, although like you can’t see how 

23 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

That’s how I read it too, although like you can’t see how 

To follow up with the Testing of pre-booking UDP reservations on Wonder: I emailed Royal's "ask a question" and got a response. According to this person, Annie "Stevie" Shipley, it is currently being tested on Wonder, but not for our sailing. She neglected to say what sailings it is being tested on.So if you are sailing on Wonder, try it. It might like you.🤪

On 11/2/2023 at 6:49 AM, PompeySailor said:

That is one thing we have tried to master lately and are very picky on where we bunker down on a ship these days 😄

We were going to go on Quantum for Alaska 2025 when I saw itineraries posted yesterday 

Not one JS or JY are in a location we like, so that cruise is not happening 

And didn’t want to splash on a GS (flights  needed)

We are wiling to look elsewhere because the cabin does not fit our needs 

Its a shame but after having a few cruises with noisy locations and lack of sleep 

Cabin choice for us comes before ship and itinerary 

Lots of research and YouTube videos before we book a certain cabin / suite 😎

I’m a bit of a nut about cabin location too.  Had an aft balcony on Alaska cruise which was beautiful but the noise of docking at 5am and motion would cause me to never book that again.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, firstimer2009 said:

I’m a bit of a nut about cabin location too.  Had an aft balcony on Alaska cruise which was beautiful but the noise of docking at 5am and motion would cause me to never book that again.  

Joggers on Deck 5 at 5:30am on Oasis class ships do my head in and wake every cabin on Deck 6

Always one inconsiderate health freak 🏃🏻‍♀️ running bare foot or flat footed

Should ban track usage until after 8am at least (after 8 I’ll have to suck it up)

I saw a video recently of padded floor tiles on Princess balconies.

All ships should use this so you don’t have to listen to PAX or crew dragging tables and chairs above cabins.

Well Done Princess - nice touch 

1 hour ago, PompeySailor said:

Joggers on Deck 5 at 5:30am on Oasis class ships do my head in and wake every cabin on Deck 6

Shoot! I am on deck 6 next week. I would think only folks under the running track would hear anything. Oh well, I'm not normally a super light sleeper so hope it won't wake me!

27 minutes ago, HxFx said:

Shoot! I am on deck 6 next week. I would think only folks under the running track would hear anything. Oh well, I'm not normally a super light sleeper so hope it won't wake me!

I think the majority of us are on 6 

it is a great location if the joggers jog on after 8 (if they are considerate)

See you onboard (schooner or pub) 

Happy Days!

• Like 1

I havent sailed Royal since 2018 and am I correct that those that have specialty  restaurant meals purchased cannot prebook? Wow! That is really behind the times! 

I remember 25 years ago, getting on Royal ships and running to restaurants while my dh ran to spa with our then little kids. In 2018, we traveled with extended family and didnt do specialties other than two nights and I cant remember but guess we ran and booked once on board. 

We prebook with NCL and booking dates open by status and suites. 
Hope this changes soon because I plan to buy UDP for each night of our cruise. 

Thank you for this thread. I will be following. 

Edited by js

1 hour ago, js said:

I havent sailed Royal since 2018 and am I correct that those that have specialty restaurant meals purchased cannot prebook?

You can't book specific times/venues if you have a UDP/multi day package (yet) but you can if you pay for a single venue (at a higher price per meal).

Just spoke to that 'Pre-Cruise Planning Assistance' number (nightmare almost 75 minute wait) and they said that Wonder is THE ONLY SHIP planned to allow for precruise booking?

Our cruise last year (on Oasis with UDP) was a real pain in the as_ the first day running to Hibatchi/Izumi just to book all the reservations... as they would NOT allow before sailing.

I see in this thread that is changing after Jan  BUT RCL tells me no?

My Symphony Sailing in Aug 2024 UDP just went down but I do not want the UDP if I cannot prebook?

Who do I believe?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Biker19 said:

You can't book specific times/venues if you have a UDP/multi day package (yet) but you can if you pay for a single venue (at a higher price per meal).

Thank you. I guess in 2018 we just booked two separate meals.

A lot will change in 17 months so I'll wait and see and hoping for the best but prepared to run and get our dining once onboard.

3 hours ago, Happytime22 said:

Just spoke to that 'Pre-Cruise Planning Assistance' number (nightmare almost 75 minute wait) and they said that Wonder is THE ONLY SHIP planned to allow for precruise booking?

Our cruise last year (on Oasis with UDP) was a real pain in the as_ the first day running to Hibatchi/Izumi just to book all the reservations... as they would NOT allow before sailing.

My Symphony Sailing in Aug 2024 UDP just went down but I do not want the UDP if I cannot prebook?

Who do I believe?

The UDP also went down for my sailing next year. I am not going to buy it although the price is OK. The reason why I am not buying it, is that we are not able to prebook online before boarding. 

Ivi

18 hours ago, Happytime22 said:

Who do I believe?

Firstly, RC customer service often have no clue what they’re talking about.

Secondly, my understanding of the article is that currently only Wonder has the technology to do it, new ships like Icon and Utopia will also have it when they launch. Older ships would have to be retrofitted, so unlikely to happen straight away, if at all. But I could be (am often) wrong!

2 hours ago, Donsyb said:

Firstly, RC customer service often have no clue what they’re talking about.

Secondly, my understanding of the article is that currently only Wonder has the technology to do it, new ships like Icon and Utopia will also have it when they launch. Older ships would have to be retrofitted, so unlikely to happen straight away, if at all. But I could be (am often) wrong!

I am not sure what technology would be needed to allow making reservations available to everyone, not just to people who purchase individually or how older ships would need to be retrofitted. 

1 hour ago, LilBlackDress said:

I am not sure what technology would be needed to allow making reservations available to everyone, not just to people who purchase individually or how older ships would need to be retrofitted. 

Don’t know, but that’s what they said in the article. They said wonder was built with the tech, and icon is, but not previous ships

1 hour ago, Donsyb said:

Don’t know, but that’s what they said in the article. They said wonder was built with the tech, and icon is, but not previous ships

I read that they will test the system on Wonder before rolling it out on other ships, including Icon.  (Naturally they don’t want to deal with a reservation system failure on a wide scale, but certainly not on the brand new ship.)  

The tech for pre-cruise reservations is shoreside.  If I want make a Chops precruise reservation today for my December Wonder cruise, I do not believe I will communicating with the ship.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I read that they will test the system on Wonder before rolling it out on other ships, including Icon.  (Naturally they don’t want to deal with a reservation system failure on a wide scale, but certainly not on the brand new ship.)  

The tech for pre-cruise reservations is shoreside.  If I want make a Chops precruise reservation today for my December Wonder cruise, I do not believe I will communicating with the ship.  

Quoted from the full article:

Mr. Schneider talked about this process, "We designed Wonder to have all of the technology that Icon will get. And so everything you see on Wonder is actually purposely being tested on Wonder because we won't do testing of new software on a new ship."

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Happytime22 said:

Thanks all... just booked their UDP and if, they actually don't offer the precruise booking for my Aug 24 sailing on Symphony, will cancel!

I'm too far out to have this show up in my planner but when it comes "live" I plan on ordering knowing, as silly as it is in 2023/2024 to still have to run around the ship to make dining ressies instead of online. however I'm sincerely asking why you will cancel. Is it because you have to go book on the cruise?
Wouldn't you just be ultimately spiting yourself by not getting and either ultimately paying more or eating your meals in the MDR? I haven't sailed RCCL in quite a while (although Diamond) so I'm honestly asking since I'm trying to catch up on everything that has changed (or not LOL) since last cruised. Thank you.

I am honestly fine with just a couple specialty dining and the rest of the 9 day cruise in the MDR... wife and DS's want the specialty more.  Last time on Oasis (2022) it was a shi_show trying to get reservations on board that didn't impact with shows.  We were the first group boarding (10am) and Running to Hibachi, as theirs can only be made FROM Hibatchi, then the problems doing them from 150... no way.  Fights as to the lines happened twice!  Plus by the time we finished, many times/days not available

If I can Prebook, as Royal Caribbean's Senior Vice President and Chief Product Innovation Officer Jay Schneider confirmed a few days ago for ALL ships after Jan 24.... all good.

If that was lip service and u have to wait until on board... will cancel.

On 11/8/2023 at 4:09 PM, ace1zoe2 said:

We're on Wonder 1/28 and have booked dining packages but see no way to pre-book reservations yet. Since it's the test ship I'm hoping we get to book early.

We on board 1/14, with UDP.  I'm hoping that after check in on 11/30 we can get reservations prior to boarding. We were on board by 11:30 AM in April and Izumi was fully booked lunch and dinner both sushi and habachi.