Platinum benefits: Behind the scenes and Wines around the world

lixogab

Got NCL platinum and in 2 weeks sailing for the first time as Platinum 

From what I understand, the main platinum perks are:

- 2 dinners at specialty restaurants and 1  bottle of wine

- Behind the scenes tour 

and

- Wines around the world tasting

The dinner vouchers are being heavily discussed here, but not the other two.

Is the wine tasting offered on all ships? The cruise planner doesn’t show it.

When I try to book the Behind the scenes tour via Web site/app it shows that it costs some money. Is it a website glitch or are there some small letters that I’m missing and tour is not actually free?

Are there any other perks that I’m missing ?

Go to cruise next desk to schedule wine tasting and behind the scenes tour. Vouchers for dinners will be in your cabin.

Enjoy

Tour and wine event are free, but do it as soon as you board as tours get booked quickly.

The behind the scenes tour is excellent. 

You also get free bag of laundry done.

Edited by FlGoodShips
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Concur with everything FIGoodShips said.

I'll add:

It is one bag of free bag of laundry per Platinum guest.  They will only give you one coupon but write your LR number and free bag on the ticket.  We have never been charged.

Behind the scenes went to the galley, laundry, and theater on the Jade two months ago.  I don't know if this is the same on all ships. This is different than the tour that can be purchased.

The wine tasting was eh.  4 tables with three bottles and one wine steward at each.  You walked around and tried what you want.  I expected to be seated and to have the same thing brought to everyone at once with a short pitch on the wine.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lixogab said:

Got NCL platinum and in 2 weeks sailing for the first time as Platinum 

From what I understand, the main platinum perks are:

- 2 dinners at specialty restaurants and 1  bottle of wine

- Behind the scenes tour 

and

- Wines around the world tasting

The dinner vouchers are being heavily discussed here, but not the other two.

Is the wine tasting offered on all ships? The cruise planner doesn’t show it.

When I try to book the Behind the scenes tour via Web site/app it shows that it costs some money. Is it a website glitch or are there some small letters that I’m missing and tour is not actually free?

Are there any other perks that I’m missing ?

Wine Tasting and BTS Tour need to be reserved at the Cruise Next Desk on embarkation day. First come first serve and it will sell out on some ships. 

The BTS tour run by Cruise Next is a subset (less than) the paid tour run by ShoreEx. You don't go to the bridge or engine control room. It's still fun and we go on every cruise. Closed toe shoes are required. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dexddd said:

You would think ... have to go to CN desk first night and wait in line, for your convenience ... 

Not, surely.  Otherwise, CN won't get a chance to upsell more of their exciting products & offers, like get $1,000 "free" money per pax ... with an instant 100% return.  Hint. Hint. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dexddd said:

You would think this day and age bookable online but no, have to go to CN desk first night and wait in line, for your convenience, of course.

Because people can overbook on line before hand, and then never show up, leaving out people who really wanted to go.

Plus there may be some variation in when they choose to do each event.  The schedule could change between 120 days out to the week of sailing.

• Like 2

The usual close off time is 9pm on Embarkation Day.

They like to talk to people!!!   And to remind people of what they offer.!!

Even doing it that way doesn't ensure appearance.

We went to a WATW event and there were 6 people there.   Later I talked with the Future Cruise people and there had been 42 sign ups, 2 cancellations and 34 NO SHOWS.

I've asked this question before but never got an answer. I'll try again hare...

We are on a Med cruise next September. It will be our first cruise as Platinum. But this cruise, is on a continual loop from Barcelona-Barcelona and Rome-Rome. People who board in Barcelona a few days before we embark in Rome will have first dibs on the Platinum perks. When we get on in Rome, would the Wines Around the World and ship's tour have already be held? Do they offer these things more than once? If not, what are the chances of signing up a few days later when we embark, since all of the spots would have already been filled by the earlier boarders.

2 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I've asked this question before but never got an answer. I'll try again hare...

We are on a Med cruise next September. It will be our first cruise as Platinum. But this cruise, is on a continual loop from Barcelona-Barcelona and Rome-Rome. People who board in Barcelona a few days before we embark in Rome will have first dibs on the Platinum perks. When we get on in Rome, would the Wines Around the World and ship's tour have already be held? Do they offer these things more than once? If not, what are the chances of signing up a few days later when we embark, since all of the spots would have already been filled by the earlier boarders.

Good question but if it's a continual loop, then Barcelona wouldn't be the first to board either, after the first loop. So just guessing but I would think they would offer a 2nd set of perks for people boarding in Rome, the next group in Barcelona, etc.

I know that they do offer multiple tours and dinners, if enough people sign up, but of course that depends on the staff availability.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, seemoreroyals said:

What time of day to they usually have the  Platinum BTS tour?  I am assuming it is on a sea day and also wondering if it is offered more than once on a 7 day cruise.  And how long does it last?

Usually 9:30 on first sea day. Our last two cruises it was 8:30. 

Last Cruise - First Sea Day 

8:30-10:00 BTS tour (second tour at 9:00) 

12:00-12:45 wines around the world 

1:00-1:30 latitudes party 

2:30-3:15 Mixology 

3:30 stagger back to cabin for a nap. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Because people can overbook on line before hand, and then never show up, leaving out people who really wanted to go.

Plus there may be some variation in when they choose to do each event.  The schedule could change between 120 days out to the week of sailing.

They can also be no shows booking on ship.  They can figure out other shows.  The bts is usually a sea day.  Not difficult to figure out.

53 minutes ago, crazycatlady82 said:

I'll be platinum before my husband...for the WATW and BTS, is it just me or can my husband also participate?

it depends on the ship and the cruise next staff if they allow +1 that are not platinum 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, seemoreroyals said:

What time of day to they usually have the  Platinum BTS tour?  I am assuming it is on a sea day and also wondering if it is offered more than once on a 7 day cruise.  And how long does it last?

On the Escape right now and the Platinum and above BTS tour was at 7:50am on the first sea day. Closed toe shoes required, no beverages allowed.

2 hours ago, crazycatlady82 said:

I'll be platinum before my husband...for the WATW and BTS, is it just me or can my husband also participate?

So many Platinum and above folks showed up for our BTS tour that they split us into three groups of 20-some people each, so I don’t imagine they would also plus-ones. If your sailing has fewer Platinum + guests, then maybe at the discretion of the CN hosts.

9 hours ago, OrcaGirl said:

On the Escape right now and the Platinum and above BTS tour was at 7:50am on the first sea day. Closed toe shoes required, no beverages allowed.

I was on the Pearl in August, and the BTS was really early like this.  Much to early for me.  The wine tasting was the same day, but later in the morning.  I made that.