World "shakedown" cruise on Serenade starting next week (Semi-Live Review)

orville99

On 11/3/2023 at 11:05 AM, orville99 said:

What we have so far (and anyone who is on the world cruise is welcome to supplement):

Laundry Facilities (which decks, locations, availability, cost - if available)

Conversion of the WJ annex to a card room

Conversion of the deck 12 area above the centrum to a internet/work area

New (actual) refrigerators

Upgrades to both the Internet Access Points and stability

Restaurant/ updates

Any new amenities/venues/overall refresh of public areas

Plugs/locations/quantity in cabins

I have probably missed some things as well

Just got back from the Odyssey TA and catching up with this thread.  
Although I like the WJ annex, it’s a good idea to convert it to a card room.

On Odyssey almost every table, every venue including 270 and every bar we visited, was overtaken by card/game players. We couldn’t even have lunch in Gio’s Wine Bar because there was nowhere for us to sit and the guy there said they can’t say anything.  The lectures in 270 had most if not all the tables taken over all day with card/game groups, who were loud at times and disruptive for those of us that wanted to hear the lecture. Many tables in the WJ also had people there all day.

I have nothing against card or other games, and obviously on a TA with many “at sea” days, it’s necessarily for people to have places to go, I just feel they need a place to do it.

I heard grumbling about the the chair hogs in the Solarium too for the same reason, they needed a place to go.  I’m not complaining here, we had a beautiful balcony we enjoyed, I’m just stating what we saw. And for a cruise as long as the World Cruise will be, a dedicated area for cards and games is a good idea.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

On Odyssey almost every table, every venue including 270 and every bar we visited, was overtaken by card/game players. We couldn’t even have lunch in Gio’s Wine Bar because there was nowhere for us to sit and the guy there said they can’t say anything.  The lectures in 270 had most if not all the tables taken over all day with card/game groups, who were loud at times and disruptive for those of us that wanted to hear the lecture. Many tables in the WJ also had people there all day.

I have nothing against card or other games, and obviously on a TA with many “at sea” days, it’s necessarily for people to have places to go, I just feel they need a place to do it.

I heard grumbling about the the chair hogs in the Solarium too for the same reason, they needed a place to go.  I’m not complaining here, we had a beautiful balcony we enjoyed, I’m just stating what we saw. And for a cruise as long as the World Cruise will be, a dedicated area for cards and games is a good idea.

Hopefully with relatively few sea days (only 2 on our 16 day sector) most people will be ashore most days, but agree a dedicated card room is an excellent idea

• Like 1

18 hours ago, orville99 said:

Not sure how many are on the full WC, but there are at least 4 that we have met so far on this cruise that are doing the entire WC as well ~307 days total😱

I know of one!  John (of John and Lala)...and talked to a couple on Wonder last week that has two friends doing it.  I have heard totals anywhere from 190 pax to 900 pax doing the whole 274.  

Updates on what we’ve found so far:

All of the canopies have been replaced above the outdoor WJ seating area

IMG_0567.jpeg

IMG_0566.jpeg 

Woke up to an early Christmas present outside of our cabin this morning:

Wednesday=

IMG_0062.jpeg

This morning:

IMG_0568.jpeg

And they are still busy painting and installing on the deck 12 work/internet area.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, island lady said:

OMG...nice!!!  Love it!  Just unpacking from Wonder B2B...will pull up itinerary!  Thanks again!  

Reread the cost of the cruise before you get all excited. His original post he made a mistake in the price.

It seems to me that the cost of the Regent World cruise(s) is very reasonable for all that is included.  We’re in the early stages of research but both the 2025 and 2026 Itineraries are very exciting and I don’t think the price is outrageous.  For us, the first hurdle was vaccinations and that is a non-issue with Regent so we’re moving forward.  Not ready to book yet but giving it serious consideration.

• Like 3

For those following for a taste of what the cruise is like, we took advantage of the fact that we were in Cartagena in February to just wander to the end of the pier and visit a really nice little wildlife sanctuary called Pier Oasis (and it is free to boot).

IMG_0569.jpeg

IMG_0570.jpeg

IMG_0573.jpeg

IMG_0575.jpeg

IMG_0578.jpeg

IMG_0579.jpeg

IMG_0580.jpeg

IMG_0584.jpeg

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

IMG_0592.jpeg

IMG_0593.jpeg

IMG_0595.jpeg

IMG_0585.jpeg

IMG_0589.jpeg

IMG_0581.jpeg

Edited by orville99
  • Like 12

8 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We just recently returned from a 24 night round trip from Southampton to Canada and New England  on Sky Princess . They opened up one of the main dining rooms as a reading/card/craft room from 10am til 3pm , it was a brilliant facility as there wasn't a seat or table to be had anywhere else on the ship during the 2 Transatlantic crossings. 

loved our visit to Cartagena,  Colombia... the old town is stunning , reminded me of  the Canary islands .

Edited by heatherb1958

45 minutes ago, heatherb1958 said:

loved our visit to Cartagena,  Colombia... the old town is stunning , reminded me of  the Canary islands .

We did the old town in Cartagena on our cruise in February. Absolutely agree about the charm of the old city.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Tomorrow we transit the canal. Supposed to start around 6:00AM and hit the first of five sets of locks around 7:00. Get ready for lots of pictures😇

Do  you know which sets of locks you are going through, the new or the old?

8 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Do  you know which sets of locks you are going through, the new or the old?

They didn’t give us any of that information. I imagine we will find out when we get to the first lock, because they will most likely route us through the same type throughout the crossing. If I find out, I will post.

All I know now is approximate timing.

Gatun at 7AM

Pedro Miguel at 1PM

Mira Flores at 2:30PM

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, orville99 said:

They didn’t give us any of that information. I imagine we will find out when we get to the first lock, because they will most likely route us through the same type throughout the crossing. If I find out, I will post.

All I know now is approximate timing.

Gatun at 7AM

Pedro Miguel at 1PM

Mira Flores at 2:30PM

I am guessing, since Serenade is actually so much smaller than those super tankers that they really made the bigger locks for...that you will be in the older locks.  They have more charm anyway.  😉 

Enjoy the transit! 🙂   Look out for those huge Gators that love cruising through!  🐊

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Traffic Jam! Picked up our pilot at 6:00 AM and we are now moving to the head of the line to go into the canal😇

IMG_0079.jpeg

IMG_0080.jpeg

IMG_0081.jpeg

IMG_0082.jpeg

IMG_0083.jpeg

IMG_0084.jpeg

That was the first thing that we noticed the first time we went through the canal....the hundreds of ships waiting to go through...wow!  But that was also before they put in the new locks.