World "shakedown" cruise on Serenade starting next week (Semi-Live Review)

orville99

On 11/3/2023 at 5:55 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

I’ll be following along as we’re on 2 legs of the world cruise and were also on the same cruise as you in February and hope things are better than they were then. 

Im hoping the chillers really “chill” and DH would Like an outlet next to the bed or near the bed for his CPAP that not a European plug. 
enjoy!!

Was watching them replace dozens of Chillers for 4 weeks I was onboard in Sept. One in my Cabin wasn't replaced during Cruises so not sure how cold they really are. To use a non European plug w/o adapter will need use one on Desk in most Ships Cabins

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ruready said:

I’ll be on this trip too.  I need to pull out the suitcases and start packing today as I fly out to Miami tomorrow.  I normally would pack tomorrow but we are going to a play (theater) this evening and then hosting a bbq tomorrow before I fly out in the evening.  

Started packing this morning. Decided to do these cruises totally casual, so can get a lot more stuff into the suitcases.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 3

Did pull out the suitcases.  Need to get going.  Went to grocery store at 6 am to get food for our bbq today.  Just told my husband that I will go pack and then come back and clean the shrimp.  Been lazy watching the nfl game in Germany.  

72081734485__26D0F414-08CD-4F16-A60A-ADC9440DE776.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Was watching them replace dozens of Chillers for 4 weeks I was onboard in Sept. 

I expect that one of the reasons why they are doing a rare B2B canal transit is that there will be some major things that they promised for the WC that will be waiting for us on the pier in LA. My guess is that there will be quite a bit of refurb work being done on both legs (another reason why I’m bringing three cameras with us)😇

• Like 4

On 11/3/2023 at 5:55 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

I’ll be following along as we’re on 2 legs of the world cruise and were also on the same cruise as you in February and hope things are better than they were then. 

Im hoping the chillers really “chill” and DH would Like an outlet next to the bed or near the bed for his CPAP that not a European plug. 
enjoy!!

This was posted elsewhere.  Looks like the new refrigerators are nice and cold.

May be an image of text

No photo description available.

• Like 5

On 11/4/2023 at 12:22 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

We were in Cartagena 2 weeks ago.  It was so hot.  Be better prepared then we were and bring something to wipe the sweat off with.  I was so sorry I didn’t have my personal fan.  Even standing in the shade I was dripping.  I guess I’m not as heat tolerate anymore.  We got gelato downtown and that helped cool us down.  2 big scoops each and under $5 total.  Best buy of the trip. Have fun!

I was on that cruise as well.  Hot was definitely the temperature.  I wished I had had a fan as well.

11 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Packing day…three down, one to go. Doesn’t look like enough for a 12,000 mile cruise😱

IMG_0545.jpeg

LOL...my crystal ball tells me I see some ship laundry in your future.   😄  

Have a fantabulous cruise, and indeed keep us posted as to changes they are making for Serenade.  I am trying to figure out a par of what I use (other than clothes) for each week, so I know what to stuff in one duffle bag full of those items. 

In anther soft duffle bag I have a very compressed foam topper.  I think this will be a good decision for us.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

LOL...my crystal ball tells me I see some ship laundry in your future.   😄  

Have a fantabulous cruise, and indeed keep us posted as to changes they are making for Serenade.  I am trying to figure out a par of what I use (other than clothes) for each week, so I know what to stuff in one duffle bag full of those items.  😉 

We will definitely use the ship’s mash and mangle service for some stuff, and a lot of hand washing for things that matter. Found that vacuum storage bags work great for packing the stuff that qualifies for mash & mangle - frees up a lot of suitcase room. 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We will definitely use the ship’s mash and mangle service for some stuff, and a lot of hand washing for things that matter. Found that vacuum storage bags work great for packing the stuff that qualifies for mash & mangle - frees up a lot of suitcase room. 😇

LOL...yup, love that term as well.  We call it "Boil and Fry"...and indeed would never give that service any kind of clothing I can't bear to part with.  Cotton undies, t-shirts, cotton socks, exercise clothes...that's about it for us. 

Other than that...hand wash once a week, but on much longer cruises...add in actual laundry with pressing, and dry cleaning will come in handy.  🙂 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, island lady said:

Other than that...hand wash once a week, but on much longer cruises...add in actual laundry with pressing, and dry cleaning will come in handy.  🙂 

We are going totally laid back on this cruise - not even packing a sport coat, DW’s dresses are all hand wash, and everything I’m packing is “no iron”. Translated to “it is less likely to wrinkle than me”😇

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, orville99 said:

Found that vacuum storage bags work great for packing the stuff that qualifies for mash & mangle - frees up a lot of suitcase room. 

Hi

Sorry if this is a dumb question 🤪

In regards to using the vacuum storage bags.  I understand it compresses so you can fit more in.  I'm definitely going to need to consider doing this.  What does that do to the weight of the suitcase?

Does compressing take some of the weight out of the items or will they still weight the same?

We have a pretty generous allowance of 30kg/~66lb flying from/to Australia with Singapore Airlines but I believe the train from Barcelona to Paris is only 23kg/50lb and they do weigh your luggage I've read.

I have bought a 'foldie' soft bag and if need be i'll have to shove ~ 7kg in there if the suitcase is too heavy.

Although.....we fly in to Dubai and then straight on to the ship for 62n.  We would use a lot of the consumables over that time that I need to pack for the trip so by the time we get off to catch the first train our cases 'should' weigh a little less perhaps.  I could also likely pack quite a few of the consumables we'll use (like tin coffee, essential meds, washing 'stuff' into a soft 'foldie' type carryon and leave my suitcase just for clothes / shoes etc.    It's hurting my head thinking about it 🙃

Enjoy your upcoming cruise, I look forward to reading about your trip!

6 minutes ago, BecAus said:

Hi

Sorry if this is a dumb question 🤪

In regards to using the vacuum storage bags.  I understand it compresses so you can fit more in.  I'm definitely going to need to consider doing this.  What does that do to the weight of the suitcase?

Does compressing take some of the weight out of the items or will they still weight the same?

LOL. 😄 It is one of those physics' questions. Even though the clothes are compressed, they still weigh the same Bec. It just gives you more room to pack stuff in. ☺️

• Like 5

On 11/4/2023 at 7:41 PM, island lady said:

Though I only use hook magnets on the ceiling, (no clothes line) when I hang my stuff up inside. 

Thank you - that reminded me to pack the hook magnets I bought (8) to try out. Previously I've just managed to hook the hanger over the back of the chair on the balcony but I will try the hook idea this time.

I haven't used the clothesline line before but I read that a lot of people do.  It's a very small item to take (just a piece of rope basically) so I thought I'll throw it in and see if I think I would use it.

Yes, I've been reading your posts about Viking, seems like a great fit for you!  I remember well your 2 x cancelled cruises 🥲

The NZ cruise next week on Ovation was unplanned.  As we are on the World Cruise (even though it's 1 segment only) we got an invite to the event / function that Aus/NZ RCI management is having at the Sydney Opera House this Friday night. Drinks/Canapes for two hours followed by an evening show in the main theatre of the OH.

We are on the West Coast and have never been inside the OH so I thought, why not!

Of course it's costing an arm and a leg to fly across the country as, like everywhere, airfares are through the roof, particularly last minute ones!

We hadn't planned to go away till we leave for the WC for 3mths in May next year but my husband is in desperate need of a break after the last few hard months at work so it was a real easy sell to him!!

I had a look online and they had a 10n NZ Cruise leaving on the Monday after the Friday event.

Only room left was 1 JS so that's what we've got.  Don't ask what that cost 🙄  It is what it is!

Cruised to NZ 3 - 4 times. Last time we did the south island in NZ  there was bad weather and we could only head in to Milford Sound and then out and head north to Wellington.

They had to cancel the other 'sounds' and going around the bottom island to Dunedin so am hoping we'll be able to see all of that this time.  We've only seen those 1 time back in ~ 2011.

Either way, the break is going to be very welcome at the moment!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Coralc said:

LOL. 😄 It is one of those physics' questions. Even though the clothes are compressed, they still weigh the same Bec. It just gives you more room to pack stuff in. ☺️

Ha, ha - ok.  I kind of figured that must be the case.  

It will help with getting everything in though, I'll just have to be careful of the weight.

I'm still mystified how I'm going to get it in to 1 suitcase but I will have to master the art of packing light real quick - not my strong suit!

Thank you for your reply 🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BecAus said:

I'm still mystified how I'm going to get it in to 1 suitcase but I will have to master the art of packing light real quick - not my strong suit!

Old trick that I learned from a Brit on one of my business trips to the UK - roll everything up.

• Like 4

On 11/5/2023 at 12:45 PM, reallyitsmema said:

This was posted elsewhere.  Looks like the new refrigerators are nice and cold.

May be an image of text

Our cabin on deck 7 had new fridge installed on our Sept repo sailing.   They are nice and cold but extremely small.   Cannot even fit a small desert plate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BecAus said:

Thank you - that reminded me to pack the hook magnets I bought (8) to try out. Previously I've just managed to hook the hanger over the back of the chair on the balcony but I will try the hook idea this time.

I haven't used the clothesline line before but I read that a lot of people do.  It's a very small item to take (just a piece of rope basically) so I thought I'll throw it in and see if I think I would use it.

Yes, I've been reading your posts about Viking, seems like a great fit for you!  I remember well your 2 x cancelled cruises 🥲

The NZ cruise next week on Ovation was unplanned.  As we are on the World Cruise (even though it's 1 segment only) we got an invite to the event / function that Aus/NZ RCI management is having at the Sydney Opera House this Friday night. Drinks/Canapes for two hours followed by an evening show in the main theatre of the OH.

We are on the West Coast and have never been inside the OH so I thought, why not!

Of course it's costing an arm and a leg to fly across the country as, like everywhere, airfares are through the roof, particularly last minute ones!

We hadn't planned to go away till we leave for the WC for 3mths in May next year but my husband is in desperate need of a break after the last few hard months at work so it was a real easy sell to him!!

I had a look online and they had a 10n NZ Cruise leaving on the Monday after the Friday event.

Only room left was 1 JS so that's what we've got.  Don't ask what that cost 🙄  It is what it is!

Cruised to NZ 3 - 4 times. Last time we did the south island in NZ  there was bad weather and we could only head in to Milford Sound and then out and head north to Wellington.

They had to cancel the other 'sounds' and going around the bottom island to Dunedin so am hoping we'll be able to see all of that this time.  We've only seen those 1 time back in ~ 2011.

That sounds like a fantastic plan!  And good for you get away to do it!  Wow, RCI is doing it up right for you...and at the OH as well.  🙂 

I first starting trying to use the clothes line in the shower, but the weight of the damp clothes made them all slide together, even trying clothes pins to keep them apart.  Somehow it finally dawned on me to use the hook magnets.  They sure come in handy for many things!  🙂 

• Like 2

The Journey has officially begun. Car arrived to take us to Miami at 7:00 this morning, and we are now sitting on our balcony taking in the Miami skyline. 300 miles down - only 11,700 more to go till we are back home.

Three things already:

Beds are brand new and quite firm;

Definitely a true refrigerator - that will hold about 12 Heinekens. And

The two outlets by the bed are 220V Euro outlets. Will ask our stateroom attendant when we see him about how to convert those to 110V US plugs.

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, orville99 said:

The Journey has officially begun. Car arrived to take us to Miami at 7:00 this morning, and we are now sitting on our balcony taking in the Miami skyline. 300 miles down - only 11,700 more to go till we are back home.

Three things already:

Beds are brand new and quite firm;

Definitely a true refrigerator - that will hold about 12 Heinekens. And

The two outlets by the bed are 220V Euro outlets. Will ask our stateroom attendant when we see him about how to convert those to 110V US plugs.

Wonderful and have a fantabulous cruise my friend.  Looking forward to your ongoing observations!  🙂  

Once again happy I made the decision to take a foam topper with us.  With the way they compress those things when you buy them new, no worries on fitting it inside my collapsible duffle bag. 🙂 

Taking a Euro converter, but the USB plugs the ship installed near the bed will work wonderfully for my little travel clock and phone charger.  

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

The two outlets by the bed are 220V Euro outlets. Will ask our stateroom attendant when we see him about how to convert those to 110V US plugs

The best thing to do is to check tags on the plugs for all devices you want to plug in. Most electronics, you only need an adapter, as electronics are dual voltage. If there are no tags and you’re not sure for things like clocks, fans, etc., you will need a converter and then plug your adapter into that.

PS…I just checked my ResMed CPAP and it is dual voltage. I have only used an adapter plug in other international city hotel rooms. But it’s always a good idea to check everything. Other people may have had different outcomes, but these have been mine.

I have never used a converter on the ship, but I only use the Euro outlet for things I know are dual voltage.

• Like 2

Unfortunate for the WC folks, but the cabin decor (drapes, couches, furniture) have not been refreshed) - at least in our cabin. Tears in the drapes, I had to fix the coffee table myself to stop the wobbles, and the love seat has been around since cupid was a little boy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Unfortunate for the WC folks, but the cabin decor (drapes, couches, furniture) have not been refreshed) - at least in our cabin. Tears in the drapes, I had to fix the coffee table myself to stop the wobbles, and the love seat has been around since cupid was a little boy.

Furniture in our cabin definitely were not replaced but the drapes were.  No rips and they kept the cabin very dark.  We did have a vent cover held on with scotch tape, but that is a different story.

13 hours ago, BecAus said:

Great you can go to the party at the OH.

We have booked The Magic Flute for the night before we board Brilliance in February and West Side Story for our last night in Australia.  Both are opening nights.  For us this is the icing on the cake for our trip to Australia and NZ.  5 years ago while on a river cruise we went to the Vienna opera, the Elixir of Love for our 40th wedding anniversary. 

Please post some pictures of your event!

• Like 4