World "shakedown" cruise on Serenade starting next week (Semi-Live Review)

orville99

11 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I don’t think you plug a cpap machine into a euro plug without a converter. An adaptor won’t do it.  I could be wrong but I don’t think an cpap will automatically switch currents.  You could use an adaptor with a hair dryer that had 120/240 dual though without a converter.  And of course usb is universal.  Something for the world cruisers to look into.

Most CPAP do convert from 120-240V automatically but check the label to be sure.  If not you may need a voltage converter depending on the ships current.

What you do need is a non electrical adaptor which changes the 2 prong flat US plug to the round 2 prong European plug or vis versa.  They could be picked up in Walmart, Target, Amazon etc. for a few dollars

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Badatz2 said:

from what i remember the current is the same in all outlets.  What you need are adaptors.

Yes, I have adaptors....but are there any regular (for the U.S. anyway) standard outlets is the question I am asking.  And BTW..Euro outlets are 220-240 voltage.   Standard U.S. is 110 to 120 AC.

Hey Orville...will wait to hear from you on that as well.  Thanks in advance. 🙂 

Edited by island lady

49 minutes ago, island lady said:

Yes, I have adaptors....but are there any regular (for the U.S. anyway) standard outlets is the question I am asking.  And BTW..Euro outlets are 220-240 voltage.   Standard U.S. is 110 to 120 AC.

🙂

As we all know there were always two types of outlets in the cabin.  I am not sure what there is now.

And yes I know that there is difference in the voltage but in the cabin the voltage was the same regardless of the outlet. You could use any dual voltage appliance as long as it had the correct plug or adapter.

10 minutes ago, Badatz2 said:

As we all know there were always two types of outlets in the cabin.  I am not sure what there is now.

And yes I know that there is difference in the voltage but in the cabin the voltage was the same regardless of the outlet. You could use any dual voltage appliance as long as it had the correct plug or adapter.

They didn't remove any outlets from the cabins, they just added what is in the picture.  Having no US plugs would make no sense.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TX-Cruiser said:

Just out of curiosity, what are the expected to be adding for the World Cruise?

What we have so far (and anyone who is on the world cruise is welcome to supplement):

Laundry Facilities (which decks, locations, availability, cost - if available)

Conversion of the WJ annex to a card room

Conversion of the deck 12 area above the centrum to a internet/work area

New (actual) refrigerators

Upgrades to both the Internet Access Points and stability

Restaurant/ updates

Any new amenities/venues/overall refresh of public areas

Plugs/locations/quantity in cabins

I have probably missed some things as well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Hey Orville...will wait to hear from you on that as well.  Thanks in advance. 🙂 

Will do. BTW for those who are also interested, unless they have made substantive changes to their power distribution system, their 220V outlets operate at 50Hz, not 60Hz that U.S. 110V systems use. Depending on what device you are "adapting" you may have some issues with heat and or performance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Badatz2 said:

from what i remember the current is the same in all outlets.  What you need are adaptors.

The Euro outlets in the cabins are 220V 50Hz, and the American outlets are 110V 50Hz. If you don't have a device that automatically switches between 110V and 220V, you need more than just a plug adaptor to transform the output from 220 to 110.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kernow said:

Following as we will be on the second leg from LA back to Miami with you. 

Look forward to hearing about any updates but hope you will post about the actual cruise too so we know what we've got to look forward too😁.

Will do. Bringing three different cameras with us (one specifically for whale watching). Planning on taking a lot of pix.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, island lady said:

Thanks...I had read somewhere that the full cruise pax and the quarter segment pax could use the laundry facilities...

I guess I should bring my hand wash equipment with me anyway then if we are excluded.  

My understanding since they announced the laundry facilities is that it was only going to be for the full WC's.  Those of us on segments wouldn't have access.  I believe even those who swapped from the full WC to the 17 mini's won't have access as they're not classed as 'full WC's' now.  I personally think that's a little unfair and petty to the few who did change to that but that's not my fight to fight!

I believe you are going to need to swipe your sea-pass to access the facilities and they might be in a crew area.  I was thinking they would perhaps be in those areas off the cabin hallways where you see them come out with their housekeeping carts but who knows!

I used your tip (that I read on one of your previous posts) of the collapsable wash tub on our last cruise which was a 17n TP.  It worked well and we also sent out a couple of bags of laundry.

I think that will work ok for us.  3 bags of laundry per week (my husband will put all his clothes through there) and a bit of hand washing for some of mine.  I just need to make sure that most of my tshirts and shorts that I pack will withstand their wash!

I'm also going to get an outside line to use on the balcony.  My biggest issue will be my inability to pack light.  We are travelling onwards via train for a couple of weeks so I was hoping to only travel with the 1 suitcase as we're going to have to lug on and off trains as we move around.

My husband will be able to pack light but I'm going to struggle!

We have booked a last minute cruise from Sydney to NZ next week.  Although it will be different weather as it's going to be cold in NZ I am going to see how I go with only packing 1 suitcase - not hopeful but I'm going to give it my best shot!

• Like 3

Just got off of the five night Canada cruise today, and had spacious ocean view cabin 7502. I got a letter on Tuesday evening letting me know that they would be installing the USB ports on Wednesday. It was done by noon. So, if you are booked in 7502, you are upgraded. Enjoy. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, gallagher123123 said:

Just got off of the five night Canada cruise today, and had spacious ocean view cabin 7502. I got a letter on Tuesday evening letting me know that they would be installing the USB ports on Wednesday. It was done by noon. So, if you are booked in 7502, you are upgraded. Enjoy. 

So where was it installed in the cabin at?

My DH and I will be on the westbound portion; I'll be interested to see how the card room in the "Windjammer Annex" will look.  I also wonder if there's a place to do jigsaw puzzles.  On Voyager's TA from Copenhagen to Boston, the puzzles were in one of the alcoves.  Very busy place, with two puzzles going at a time

12 hours ago, BecAus said:

My understanding since they announced the laundry facilities is that it was only going to be for the full WC's.  Those of us on segments wouldn't have access.  I believe even those who swapped from the full WC to the 17 mini's won't have access as they're not classed as 'full WC's' now.  I personally think that's a little unfair and petty to the few who did change to that but that's not my fight to fight!

I believe you are going to need to swipe your sea-pass to access the facilities and they might be in a crew area.  I was thinking they would perhaps be in those areas off the cabin hallways where you see them come out with their housekeeping carts but who knows!

I used your tip (that I read on one of your previous posts) of the collapsable wash tub on our last cruise which was a 17n TP.  It worked well and we also sent out a couple of bags of laundry.

I think that will work ok for us.  3 bags of laundry per week (my husband will put all his clothes through there) and a bit of hand washing for some of mine.  I just need to make sure that most of my tshirts and shorts that I pack will withstand their wash!

I'm also going to get an outside line to use on the balcony.  My biggest issue will be my inability to pack light.  We are travelling onwards via train for a couple of weeks so I was hoping to only travel with the 1 suitcase as we're going to have to lug on and off trains as we move around.

My husband will be able to pack light but I'm going to struggle!

We have booked a last minute cruise from Sydney to NZ next week.  Although it will be different weather as it's going to be cold in NZ I am going to see how I go with only packing 1 suitcase - not hopeful but I'm going to give it my best shot!

Awww...thanks!  You are most welcome and happy it worked for you.  Definitely works for me, and in fact today (sea day) on Wonder is my hand wash laundry day.  Though I only use hook magnets on the ceiling, (no clothes line) when I hang my stuff up inside.  As close to the A/C as possible for air flow.  And like you...we send out wash and fold (boil and fry 😉 ).   The combo seems to get the job done.  But I think with Serenade we will be also adding in dry cleaning for the things that are too tough to hand wash.  

Congrats on the Sydney to NZ!!   We are doing a circumnavigate of Australia and then hopping onto another sister ship  to do NZ beginning of 2025.  Both of those with Viking.  RCI cancelled our Aussie adventure not just once, but twice...so they lost out.  😉   And is also the reason we are not doing the 2nd quarter on Serenade, since we are already booked with Viking for that area.  

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 5:55 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

I’ll be following along as we’re on 2 legs of the world cruise and were also on the same cruise as you in February and hope things are better than they were then. 

The first part of the cruise is the same as the one we all did in February: Cozumel, Caymans, Colombia and then we transit the canal. We are saving our shore excursions in Colombia for the return leg because on the return leg we will get there on a Thursday. On the outbound leg we get there on Sunday and since all the stores will be closed, we are just going to enjoy the port area.

• Like 3

We were in Cartagena 2 weeks ago.  It was so hot.  Be better prepared then we were and bring something to wipe the sweat off with.  I was so sorry I didn’t have my personal fan.  Even standing in the shade I was dripping.  I guess I’m not as heat tolerate anymore.  We got gelato downtown and that helped cool us down.  2 big scoops each and under $5 total.  Best buy of the trip. Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We were in Cartagena 2 weeks ago.  It was so hot.  Be better prepared then we were and bring something to wipe the sweat off with.  I was so sorry I didn’t have my personal fan.  Even standing in the shade I was dripping.  I guess I’m not as heat tolerate anymore.  We got gelato downtown and that helped cool us down.  2 big scoops each and under $5 total.  Best buy of the trip. Have fun!

We always travel with two of these:

IMG_0056.png

• Like 1

For those following, here is our WB itinerary (EB is the exact reverse):

MIAMI, FLORIDA

CRUISING

COZUMEL, MEXICO

GEORGE TOWN, GRAND CAYMAN

CRUISING

CARTAGENA, COLOMBIA

PANAMA CANAL (CRUISING)

CRUISING

PUNTARENAS, COSTA RICA

CRUISING

HUATULCO, MEXICO

CRUISING

CRUISING

CRUISING

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA

• Like 4

I’ll be on this trip too.  I need to pull out the suitcases and start packing today as I fly out to Miami tomorrow.  I normally would pack tomorrow but we are going to a play (theater) this evening and then hosting a bbq tomorrow before I fly out in the evening.  

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

For those following, here is our WB itinerary (EB is the exact reverse):

MIAMI, FLORIDA

CRUISING

COZUMEL, MEXICO

GEORGE TOWN, GRAND CAYMAN

CRUISING

CARTAGENA, COLOMBIA

PANAMA CANAL (CRUISING)

CRUISING

PUNTARENAS, COSTA RICA

CRUISING

HUATULCO, MEXICO

CRUISING

CRUISING

CRUISING

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA

It would be great if you can find out the Captain's schedule for the World Cruise. Have a nice trip!

6 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

It would be great if you can find out the Captain's schedule for the World Cruise. Have a nice trip!

Captain Stig told us that he is doing the first three months and the last three months of the World Cruise as he has a lot of experience with ice.  He also said that everyone on the whole cruise will come back officially bi-polar. 😄 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3