Queen Elizabeth Aus summer season cancelled from 2026

MelbTone

47 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Ah, A couple of speshul Aussie Cunarders there, think I know them, lol. Good to see you upholding the Cunard Tradition.

Well you kept showing that same one of them, enjoying a tipple with their friends.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Ah, A couple of speshul Aussie Cunarders there, think I know them, lol. Good to see you upholding the Cunard Tradition.

Certainly not P and O Australia, lol.

Edited by NSWP

I have a thought, now if the Aussie pax on Cunard promised to wear Tux/dinner suit in the dining rooms, even Britannia  restaurant and buffet…then Cunard may return to the colonies down under. The Brit Cunarders would be content then.

NSWP,  I'm a Brit and although not a Cunarder, I'm a Cunard regular and I would be delighted if Queen Anne plied your waters alongside Alaska and the Caribbean.

QE could come back for the  fly/cruisers and then Queen Victoria can come back home for all time.

Sorted.😃

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

What is the difference between a "Cunarder" and a "Cunard regular" then?

A Cunarder is a ship and although relatively wider in girth than I'd like, I'm not yet of a ship's dimensions, however hard Cunard tries with lovely food when I'm onboard.

Apart from that, I'm a relative newbie compared with many and whilst  I value Cunard traditions and do my best to uphold them, I am also aware times have changed and the company is evolving with them in order to survive.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I don't know that there were any last minutes changes to the regs surrounding biofouling, were there?

• Inspecting and, if necessary, cleaning the hull and niche areas within 30 days before arrival in New Zealand (recommended for long-stay vessels).

My post didn't suggest there had been changes. Can you quote where I said that and I'll make a correction?

Reports on this forum from the cruises affected last season indicated that measures were taken for a diving team to inspect and take any action required. I remember reading that there may have been delays to that being carried out due to unfavourable sea conditions. However even after it was carried out, QE's hull was still considered to be unacceptable. Unless paying to have that carried out can guarantee access then there is no point in doing it.

As I suggested in my follow up post, maybe where there is concern for eco systems they would be best to restrict access to ships that only cruise in that area and don't have the opportunity to pick up foreign organisms that could modify or destroy the local eco system.

36 minutes ago, D&N said:

My post didn't suggest there had been changes. Can you quote where I said that and I'll make a correction?

Reports on this forum from the cruises affected last season indicated that measures were taken for a diving team to inspect and take any action required. I remember reading that there may have been delays to that being carried out due to unfavourable sea conditions. However even after it was carried out, QE's hull was still considered to be unacceptable. Unless paying to have that carried out can guarantee access then there is no point in doing it.

As I suggested in my follow up post, maybe where there is concern for eco systems they would be best to restrict access to ships that only cruise in that area and don't have the opportunity to pick up foreign organisms that could modify or destroy the local eco system.

The cleaning operation was actually abandoned.   The sub-surface currents were apparently too strong, and the divers’ safety could not be assured.  Many aboard were sceptical, and suspected that the operation was perhaps more for show.  That, together with the email we received very close to boarding announcing that we wouldn’t be sailing around the tip of the South Island to Dunedin.  The next cruise was still advertising the original itinerary.

8 hours ago, NSWP said:

I have a thought, now if the Aussie pax on Cunard promised to wear Tux/dinner suit in the dining rooms, even Britannia  restaurant and buffet…then Cunard may return to the colonies down under. The Brit Cunarders would be content then.

I will wear my evening gowns to breakfast, in the gym and on laps around the deck if QE Cunard will keep coming to Australasia/Oceania

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Wonky said:

Don’t know how usual it is to have divers under but have had on this cruise. Somewhere in the med, can’t remember where. Maybe checking the hull?? Pure speculation on my part! 

I think we might have had divers in Cadiz, but not sure.

For ships less than 15 years old, they can substitute an underwater survey by divers for the "midperiod" (2.5 year) dry dock inspection.  Ships can also have propellers "polished" (removal of growth) on an annual basis.  And, it could be part of the IMO biofouling practices that are what is required for Aus/NZ compliance.  It could even be repairs to thrusters, as I have had a thruster completely overhauled underwater.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I am assuming that these changes also take out the QE's month-long round April-May Japan sailings?  That seems odd as they have put a lot of effort into this exercise.  Also, because the out of the way ports in Japan were quite interesting.

1 minute ago, godfreyb said:

I am assuming that these changes also take out the QE's month-long round April-May Japan sailings?  That seems odd as they have put a lot of effort into this exercise.  Also, because the out of the way ports in Japan were quite interesting.

Yes, unfortunately they've clearly stated they are removing themselves from Asia as well as Australia/New Zealand and area (Oceania). It does seem odd - I agree with you.

Such a shame as the Japan itineraries are as you say, interesting, and Cunard is (has been) a very good alternative to the other Western lines in the region.

Let's face it; all decisions are financially based so Cunard must believe they can make more money by concentrating in certain geographical areas. I doubt the cost of fuel is a factor if they're willing to send a ship or two here in passing on a World Voyage.

• Like 3

Deployments change, driven by revenue, surveys, geopolitical issues, etc.

This move is not designed as an affront to anyone in the region being vacated.

Next year Celebrity is dropping South America after sailing many winters there in favor of shorter Caribbean itineraries from Florida, so Cunard is not alone in this thought process.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ace2542 said:

What is the difference between a "Cunarder" and a "Cunard regular" then?

Cunarder can also be part of the Cunard sub culture, ship nut and or regular cruiser on Cunard.  In this Colonials opinion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Deployments change, driven by revenue, surveys, geopolitical issues, etc.

This move is not designed as an affront to anyone in the region being vacated.

Next year Celebrity is dropping South America after sailing many winters there in favor of shorter Caribbean itineraries from Florida, so Cunard is not alone in this thought process.

Not really taking it as an affront, just very disappointed. We are so fortunate to live in Australia, but one of the drawbacks is that it's a LONG way from other regions in the world, thus global travel is difficult and very expensive. I think we Aussies/Kiwis are coping with the Cunard "rejection" by using humour (sometimes self-deprecating) and jokingly suggesting ways we can entice Cunard to stay in our region as an alternative to the gigantic noisy floating RSL Clubs and gargantuan loud sailing theme parks that cruise around here. Anyway, I am so pleased that I have a QM2 voyage from Fremantle to Sydney booked soon, because I don't know whether I will ever have the opportunity again. I might try and squeeze in a QE sailing as well before we are abandoned (me? affronted? 😕)

Edited by maggielou362
typo
  • Like 2

Mind you, there is nothing wrong with giant floating RSL clubs and theme parks. The megaships are very popular here and provide a fun and cost-effective means for many people to have a cruising holiday. Not my scene, but whatever floats ya boat 🤣🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, D&N said:

None of us knows the full story of the Great Hulls Debacle.

You wrote:

'Regarding biofouling; I thought that the manner reported here of the implementation of that policy was unreasonable.'

...which seemed to me to be referencing the idea that seemed to be around last summer (ours) that there was a sudden and unreasonable change to the standard required, or the sudden implementation of a previously existing standard, for the cruise ships entering certain ports or waters. I'm not sure then what you meant by the 'manner... of the implementation of that policy'. I don't have to have it explained; just clarifying why I made the response I did.

If it was a known quantity prior to their reaching the relevant areas why did they not take action sooner instead of trying to do what sounded like an ad hoc doomed-to-failure attempt by divers in rough seas to try to cobble together some sort of compliance.

Honestly, I'm that not interested in debating this at the level of speculation. As far as facts go, I'm thinking that even the cruise lines would each have half a dozen stories or versions of what happened and who was responsible for what. It will be farcical if we see a repeat of the issue of the hulls this year. And if we don't, it will show that compliance is possible.

You also wrote:

'maybe where there is concern for eco systems they would be best to restrict access to ships that only cruise in that area and don't have the opportunity to pick up foreign organisms that could modify or destroy the local eco system'

That is a problem as old as time. I can't help my mind wandering to the question of whether you'd like your rats, rabbits and foxes back. (That is a joke, by the way and not a real question.)

Anyway, it may be churlish to say that if we don't wish to accept foreign organisms we can just do without having foreign ships here. Seems there are 'standards' all over the world that are complied with out of respect for those countries and the very real desire of people to visit them.

Edited by LittleFish1976
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, NSWP said:

Cunarder can also be part of the Cunard sub culture, ship nut and or regular cruiser on Cunard.  In this Colonials opinion.

The term 'Cunarder' with regards to people has for me, unfortunate connotations to do with inflexibility or at the very least, disdain for the evolving nature of Cunard, moving forward.

As a Cunard regular, with five cruises booked going forward to '25 and will be booking until our travel insurance 'runs out', I consider myself very loyal to the brand but not, a Cunarder. 🙂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

The term 'Cunarder' with regards to people has for me, unfortunate connotations to do with inflexibility or at the very least, disdain for the evolving nature of Cunard, moving forward.

As a Cunard regular, with five cruises booked going forward to '25 and will be booking until our travel insurance 'runs out', I consider myself very loyal to the brand but not, a Cunarder. 🙂

I think I have got 1 more QM2 left in me in honour of my father then I will leave the brand probably until the 200 year mark that will be a piece of history but that is for the future.

18 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Yes, unfortunately they've clearly stated they are removing themselves from Asia as well as Australia/New Zealand and area (Oceania). It does seem odd - I agree with you.

Such a shame as the Japan itineraries are as you say, interesting, and Cunard is (has been) a very good alternative to the other Western lines in the region.

Let's face it; all decisions are financially based so Cunard must believe they can make more money by concentrating in certain geographical areas. I doubt the cost of fuel is a factor if they're willing to send a ship or two here in passing on a World Voyage.

Which begs the point of having the Anne in the first place. Then again the Anne was bought and paid for before Covid.