When to do a clothes wash?

BertieRulesOK

48 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

That is the great thing about having choices, take them or leave them. Mrs YP wouldn't have gone near the laundrette when we were working, I would sometimes go and iron a shirt if the creases wouldn't steam out in the shower. On the longer cruises she will wash several times so we pack less, especially when flying, she will then do a big wash on the sea days back which saves doing it when we get home.

We try to wash as much as possible before coming home as well.  Don't bother with ironing though, rather spend that time around the ship.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

That's what is nice about being Elite on Princess, you get free laundry.

That’s a good benefit. After our next cruise I think we will move to Baltic loyalty tier with P&O. That gets us 50% discount on laundry. Nice to have, but it won’t encourage me to book more cruises, especially as that seems to be about the only thing that you gain above Caribbean tier 🙄

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

That’s a good benefit. After our next cruise I think we will move to Baltic loyalty tier with P&O. That gets us 50% discount on laundry. Nice to have, but it won’t encourage me to book more cruises, especially as that seems to be about the only thing that you gain above Caribbean tier 🙄

Absolutely. I am Ligurian and the half price laundry is about the only perk  I use! 

• Like 1

We were on for 22 nights recently so I did a little bit of washing. The best time was late afternoon/early evening. I put rhe wash in (took c45 mins on Azura), went about my usual stuff - a drink, read or whatever, came back, into the dryer, set it for 35 mins, went had my shower, came back to collect, hardly anything needed ironing and nothing shrank It barely impacted on my day and saved me taking 22 pairs of knickers with me! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Blimey! No cruises for a few years, then you hit Caribbean level and now it seems that you are just quickly passing through on your way to the heady heights of the Baltic Tier! Go Selbournes!

Tier changes normally take place after the passenger’s most recent cruise is completed but I wonder if your 65 nighter counts in sectors and will make a difference mid-cruise?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Tier changes normally take place after the passenger’s most recent cruise is completed but I wonder if your 65 nighter counts in sectors and will make a difference mid-cruise?

It is one cruise, and usual rules apply, we have had several 35-40 night P&O cruises where we had the points to move up but they were not totalled until the end. A bit like OBC for shares, £150 for 14 nights, £150 for 75 nights. First world problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BertieRulesOK said:

I tend to wear dresses, so 12 nights is likely 20ish dresses, with a change for the evening plus leggings.  It's a huge amount of clothes.  Hence washing.

I only wear dresses and take 1 for everyday wear and another one for every evening plus a few spares. I hang them all up to start with and then at the end of every day pack the 2 I have worn away so by the end of the cruise there is hardly any packing. Couldn’t be doing with washing. 

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

It is one cruise, and usual rules apply, we have had several 35-40 night P&O cruises where we had the points to move up but they were not totalled until the end. A bit like OBC for shares, £150 for 14 nights, £150 for 75 nights. First world problem.

Certainly had the same situation and disagree with it totally 😡

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

I only wear dresses and take 1 for everyday wear and another one for every evening plus a few spares. I hang them all up to start with and then at the end of every day pack the 2 I have worn away so by the end of the cruise there is hardly any packing. Couldn’t be doing with washing. 

I have to say that I am quite tempted by the laundry bag 10 item wash.  Get them to do it for me.  We'll see how we go.  Take the washing sheet though, just in case.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BertieRulesOK said:

I have to say that I am quite tempted by the laundry bag 10 item wash.  Get them to do it for me.  We'll see how we go. 

A great idea if you don't actually care about what you send them - the two occasions I have used the service (not that I paid, but provided as an apology for food being spilt during meal service), the items did not return in the same condition I sent them. Not so bad they were obviously ripped or torn, but the material showing wear from the industrial machines the items had been through.

• Thanks 1

On arvia this year it was busy, only 1 laundrette per floor!!!. plus the default setting for a wash was 2hrs30 unless you knew how to get to the quicker washes going though the menus - helpful people soon spread that message... better signage would have helped. The first sea day after our first port all the machines on serval floors were full by 0805 so i was told. we had a civilised que most of the time trying to take the stress out of it for everyone. we take pods for the machines in a plastic take away container. probably ended up doing about 6 washes lol..Some peeps take wash sheets and or dryer sheets too.

I often go for a run (maybe around 15K) after we've done sightseeing on a port day, or when we were crossing the Atlantic I did it round the prom deck for the sea days. I might also go to the gym on a sea day. I need to wash sweaty running and gym gear! On longer cruises I don't own enough formal shirts, for a longer cruise, so have to wash them, but I don't find it a hassle to drop the clothes in a washer, set a timer and go back in time to switch them to a dryer.

• Like 3