LIVE(ish) Xpedition - Quito and Galapagos November 11, 2023

prmssk

1 hour ago, mahasamatman said:

The deck plan shows a dance floor in the lounge. What is that space like? How is the music?

So far, it has just been used as a stage of sorts for the naturalists to give talks.  We do have a piano player on board who plays for a short time before the nightly briefings and was playing out on deck by the grill at lunch today.  He's not bad from what I have heard but I can't say we really have had the energy to sit and enjoy music so far.  I do see a dance party on our agenda both Wednesday and Friday nights but I'm not sure we will stay up for either of them.  We'll see..... 

Time to put more sunscreen on and head out for a long walk on Santiago Island.  I still plan to write about this morning's hike and kayak but as a teaser, here was the one of the highlights - the Galapagos Hawk.

RMK_3485.thumb.jpeg.c03b886700c3d0b1c336d0ee4a86355a.jpeg

• Like 18

3 hours ago, prmssk said:

So far, it has just been used as a stage of sorts for the naturalists to give talks.  We do have a piano player on board who plays for a short time before the nightly briefings and was playing out on deck by the grill at lunch today.  He's not bad from what I have heard but I can't say we really have had the energy to sit and enjoy music so far.  I do see a dance party on our agenda both Wednesday and Friday nights but I'm not sure we will stay up for either of them.  We'll see..... 

Time to put more sunscreen on and head out for a long walk on Santiago Island.  I still plan to write about this morning's hike and kayak but as a teaser, here was the one of the highlights - the Galapagos Hawk.

RMK_3485.thumb.jpeg.c03b886700c3d0b1c336d0ee4a86355a.jpeg

Razor sharp.  Very nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, peanut head said:

Your post has been so informative and fun to read.

How is the weather?  Bugs?  Water temp when snorkeling?

Weather has been upper 70s every day, sunny, with no rain.  We are still in the dry season.  The sun can be a bit hot.  They really stress sunscreen/sun protection and water because of how close we are to the equator.  The only bugs I have seen have been flies, which are plentiful.  I understand mosquitos can be a problem in the rainy season.

We have not snorkeled yet but I expect to tomorrow.

More to come about today's excursions after dinner tonight.

• Like 1

Please chime in with questions as I feel this is a bit disjointed as we don't get a lot of time to stop and truly think through what we have seen and done so far.

This morning we stopped at Rabida Island which is a small island known for its red sand.  We took the excursion that included a long walk plus kayaking. The long walk was probably a little over a mile long and included some inclines and rough terrain.  This was a wet, beach landing into ankle deep or less water (depending on the waves).  We wore Keens closed toed sandals.  My husband changed into hiking shoes for the walk.  I elected to stay in my Keens.    My husband found it a pain to change shoes.  I wasn't crazy about the sand getting in my sandals.  I'm wondering if open toed sandals would have been better.  For those that changed shoes, you take a foot towel with you to dry your feet and leave you wet shoes on the beach.  I had carried my camera bag in a dry bag because of the kayaking later and left my dry bag with my husband's shoes on the beach.

Our goal for this walk was to see American Flamingos in a saltwater pond not far from where we landed.  Before we even landed on the beach, our guide had spotted the Galapagos Hawk which I understand was quite a treat, especially at such close range.  He stayed in the tree as people changed shoes giving me lots of time to take photos (see previous post).  The flamingos were not in as large of numbers as they usually see but we did get to see one chick and few adults before they flew off.  We also saw American Oyster Catchers, White-cheeked Pintails, various Darwin's finches, Mockingbirds, Lava Lizards, etc.

RMK_3513.thumb.jpeg.90edd85fa654bd6b894b298cc2d4bfcd.jpeg

RMK_3524.thumb.jpeg.503ed0bd5346f8ac568568924b329886.jpeg

RMK_3560.thumb.jpeg.8ab42b1a8cc6d0c3c5084ecf64b6267d.jpeg

RMK_3596.thumb.jpeg.3002f62937dc199e4917b580cc4eab8e.jpeg

RMK_3599.thumb.jpeg.c9d0e6dad6b10b14ba7533ec5f7f2d04.jpeg

After the long walk, we boarded the zodiac and traveled to the start of where we would kayak.  They gave us the choice to take the zodiac further and kayak with the current or get in the kayak's earlier and fight the current.  No one in our group was speaking up, so I suggested going with the current which I think was a wise choice as we were tired enough when it was done.  

They do not allow boarding kayak's on land so you have to board them from the zodiac.  The kayak's are brought next to the zodiac and the driver and guide each hold the kayak steady.  Both kayaker's (they are tandem kayak's), put their feet in and then on the count of three shift their body weight into the seat.  Only three pairs decided to kayak (there are kayaks for 8 pairs) but we had no casualties - it really wasn't as hard as it sounds.

Our kayak excursion took us past Galapagos Fur Seals (which are actually in the sea lion family), a Lava Heron, lots of Sally Lightfoot Crabs, plus a number of pods of fish.   This isn't lake kayaking.  There are waves that can be a challenge but we were going with the current so it wasn't so bad.

IMG_11032.thumb.jpg.f70ae95ce332d3eed7447ed6b44f912b.jpg

IMG_11122.thumb.jpg.a20b5ee6e0d8234e6793025bc2b5dbd4.jpg

I heard from others that those that snorkeled from the beach had the chance to snorkel with sea lions, rays, turtles, etc.  They said it was a really good snorkel experience.

Edited by prmssk
  • Like 14

The afternoon excursion was to Santiago Island and was also a wet landing on the beach.  We took the long walk option which was about a 1.5 mile walk.  There was also an option to do a beach walk and option snorkel or swim but I think most people took the long walk.  Santiago Island is an island of black sand beaches.  Like the morning walk, we spent a lot of time walking over loose sand and rocks, although this walk was flatter.  We had the chance to see a lot of shorebirds  including more American Oyster Catchers, Semi-palmated Plovers, Whimbrel's (they have a cool curved beak), Ruddy Turnstones, etc.  We also saw both sea lions and Galapagos Fur Seals, a Lava Heron, Marine and Land Iguanas, lots of Sally Lightfoot Crabs, and a couple of Yellow Warblers.  It is so amazing how fearless these animals are allowing us to get so close.  Even those with cell phone cameras were likely getting decent photos.  I am very happy with a lot of the videos I took with my iPhone.

RMK_3629.thumb.jpeg.7cf0b002f4ef857c09e04b1434563b89.jpeg

RMK_3697.thumb.jpeg.735365d0dade502777986275a6706a30.jpeg

RMK_3712.thumb.jpeg.202bdc0f6d71e8cb1ac2beeedf7e13ee.jpeg

RMK_3749.thumb.jpeg.34d60972f90a64510bf065d62bf3e726.jpeg

RMK_3830.thumb.jpeg.db8166c8efcb2dd60b33cbb75f030164.jpeg

RMK_3905.thumb.jpeg.34fdce47ebe5fbadfbf99f6d3e8623cb.jpeg

We got back to the ship around 6:15 p.m.  When you return, you rinse off your feet and sandals/shoes with hoses, step in disinfectant spray, and return your life jackets (which are mandatory for zodiac rides and kayaking).  The Marina deck (beach club on celebrity's deck plan) is where they store the life jackets, wetsuits, and bags of snorkel equipment.  This morning we were all assigned snorkel equipment and wet suits (shorties) that get hung on a hook for our stateroom number.

This evening the Captain gave a toast, then we had the briefing for tomorrow's excursions by our Excursion Director, Cristina, before heading to dinner at the Darwin Restaurant.  We learned from yesterday's mistake and asked for a table in the far corner.  We are pretty introverted people and after all the social interaction of such a small ship and small excursions really appreciate our quiet time at dinner.  The staff was amazing and even went to the trouble to remove the other chairs at the table so no one else could sit down with us!  

I had a better conversation with the Maitre'D tonight and learned there are a lot more options for me and my dairy allergy so we had an excellent meal which was actually quite fast.  It was really nice to get back in the room to relax.  Here was tonight's menu.  

IMG_1181.thumb.jpg.dbf01e0b968294c8345efccddc3d86cc.jpg

Speaking of food, we decided to try the Beagle Grill for lunch today.  We wanted something quick and light.  My husband had the burger and I had the shrimp.  Both were good and service was excellent.  Overall the service truly has been exceptional.  Here is the menu for the Beagle Grill.

IMG_11292.thumb.jpg.fad76c9ec7be98bb8e7cfd07887c521a.jpg

Tomorrow I'm signed up for four excursions although I was assured if I wanted to back out of the fourth at the last minute, it wasn't an issue.  I don't think my husband will be joining me for all of them.  This really is a fast paced itinerary with little time to catch your breath.  We are going to start the day with an extended wildlife zodiac ride at Tagus Cove, Isabela Island.  Then we will do deep water snorkeling from Tagus Cove.  In the afternoon, I have another deep water snorkeling excursion Punta Espinoza, Fernadina, Island followed by a possible short walk at the same port.

One last comment before signing off for the night, I think I mentioned in an earlier post about the avian flu and some ports being closed.  I haven't had a chance to ask about it but I do see that both our Genovesa Island Ports have been substituted for North Seymour Island and Sullivan Bay, Santiago Island.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, prmssk said:

The afternoon excursion was to Santiago Island and was also a wet landing on the beach.  We took the long walk option which was about a 1.5 mile walk.  There was also an option to do a beach walk and option snorkel or swim but I think most people took the long walk.  Santiago Island is an island of black sand beaches.  Like the morning walk, we spent a lot of time walking over loose sand and rocks, although this walk was flatter.  We had the chance to see a lot of shorebirds  including more American Oyster Catchers, Semi-palmated Plovers, Whimbrel's (they have a cool curved beak), Ruddy Turnstones, etc.  We also saw both sea lions and Galapagos Fur Seals, a Lava Heron, Marine and Land Iguanas, lots of Sally Lightfoot Crabs, and a couple of Yellow Warblers.  It is so amazing how fearless these animals are allowing us to get so close.  Even those with cell phone cameras were likely getting decent photos.  I am very happy with a lot of the videos I took with my iPhone.

RMK_3629.thumb.jpeg.7cf0b002f4ef857c09e04b1434563b89.jpeg

RMK_3697.thumb.jpeg.735365d0dade502777986275a6706a30.jpeg

RMK_3712.thumb.jpeg.202bdc0f6d71e8cb1ac2beeedf7e13ee.jpeg

RMK_3749.thumb.jpeg.34d60972f90a64510bf065d62bf3e726.jpeg

RMK_3830.thumb.jpeg.db8166c8efcb2dd60b33cbb75f030164.jpeg

RMK_3905.thumb.jpeg.34fdce47ebe5fbadfbf99f6d3e8623cb.jpeg

We got back to the ship around 6:15 p.m.  When you return, you rinse off your feet and sandals/shoes with hoses, step in disinfectant spray, and return your life jackets (which are mandatory for zodiac rides and kayaking).  The Marina deck (beach club on celebrity's deck plan) is where they store the life jackets, wetsuits, and bags of snorkel equipment.  This morning we were all assigned snorkel equipment and wet suits (shorties) that get hung on a hook for our stateroom number.

This evening the Captain gave a toast, then we had the briefing for tomorrow's excursions by our Excursion Director, Cristina, before heading to dinner at the Darwin Restaurant.  We learned from yesterday's mistake and asked for a table in the far corner.  We are pretty introverted people and after all the social interaction of such a small ship and small excursions really appreciate our quiet time at dinner.  The staff was amazing and even went to the trouble to remove the other chairs at the table so no one else could sit down with us!  

I had a better conversation with the Maitre'D tonight and learned there are a lot more options for me and my dairy allergy so we had an excellent meal which was actually quite fast.  It was really nice to get back in the room to relax.  Here was tonight's menu.  

IMG_1181.thumb.jpg.dbf01e0b968294c8345efccddc3d86cc.jpg

Speaking of food, we decided to try the Beagle Grill for lunch today.  We wanted something quick and light.  My husband had the burger and I had the shrimp.  Both were good and service was excellent.  Overall the service truly has been exceptional.  Here is the menu for the Beagle Grill.

IMG_11292.thumb.jpg.fad76c9ec7be98bb8e7cfd07887c521a.jpg

Tomorrow I'm signed up for four excursions although I was assured if I wanted to back out of the fourth at the last minute, it wasn't an issue.  I don't think my husband will be joining me for all of them.  This really is a fast paced itinerary with little time to catch your breath.  We are going to start the day with an extended wildlife zodiac ride at Tagus Cove, Isabela Island.  Then we will do deep water snorkeling from Tagus Cove.  In the afternoon, I have another deep water snorkeling excursion Punta Espinoza, Fernadina, Island followed by a possible short walk at the same port.

One last comment before signing off for the night, I think I mentioned in an earlier post about the avian flu and some ports being closed.  I haven't had a chance to ask about it but I do see that both our Genovesa Island Ports have been substituted for North Seymour Island and Sullivan Bay, Santiago Island.

Awesome summary and photos. Good night. May you have an excellent day tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, prmssk said:

Thank you so much for doing this and including the menus. I am gluten free and was worried because the Galapagos desk has been telling me there won't be much to eat for me. I do have a question on what lenses you are using on your camera. I am pretty settled on brining my 400 with, this thing is super heavy, but am always curious what others bring. Love the pictures and the detail you are including.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 6:11 AM, prmssk said:

They provide a simple string backpack that isn't all that strong to all guests.  Due to being in a higher level suite, we also got the nicer backpack that Flora guests get.  They also provide a rain poncho, sunscreen, lip chap, and aloe.

Can you post a picture of the backpack? Do you know if the people in the Royal Suite get one too?

1 hour ago, Beachlover1989 said:

So is this just the bottom of your shoes you have to rinse off? Or the whole shoe? I’m envisioning an uncomfortably wet tennis shoe all week….

Leave the tennis shoes on board. You'll have beach landings where you need to walk through the surf. You want something designed to get wet yet still provide support and protection like this:

https://www.amazon.com/KEEN-SOLR-High-Performance-Sport-Closed-Sandals-Medium/dp/B07TBTD3V3?crid=I7TLYF3752RB&keywords=keens%2Bwater%2Bshoes%2Bfor%2Bmen&qid=1699897617&sprefix=keens%2Bwater%2B%2Caps%2C82&sr=8-5&th=1&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=poin04-20&linkId=690cbcc5faa7dcd40c25c7dd23a46e60&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

Edited by RichYak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

I am gluten free and was worried because the Galapagos desk has been telling me there won't be much to eat for me.

You won't have any problems.  I have consistently seen gluten free bread.  They make me a special dessert each night that is dairy free.  I imagine they will do the same for you if they know you are gluten.  There are gluten free labels just like any Celebrity cruise ship at the buffet and on the dinner menu.  And the chef can adapt dishes.  Each night the Maitre'D just lets me know which ones can't be adapted without dairy (and usually it is only one or two that I can't have).  So talk to the Maitre'D and he will help you.

4 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

I do have a question on what lenses you are using on your camera. I am pretty settled on brining my 400 with, this thing is super heavy, but am always curious what others bring.

I brought with me an 16-35mm, a 60mm macro, and an 80-400mm telephoto with a crop sensor DSLR (Nikon D500).  I have not used the 60mm yet.  The 16-35mm was my go to lens in Quito.  I have used the 80-400mm for 90+ percent of the photos in the Galapagos so far.  I do use a good portion of that range - not everything is at 400mm.

I think we will have some more scenic stops to do some landscapes coming up but so far the focus has been on wildlife.  I think I am the only one on the ship with a lens like that.  There are a couple of people with DSLR or mirrorless cameras with basic kit lenses (I don't think any of them have more than a 200mm) but most people are just using their cell phone.  

My main interest is bird photography and if you want really good bird photos you need the telephoto lens.  When it comes to sea lions, penguins, iguanas, and even some of the larger, friendlier birds like the Blue-footed Boobies, you could probably get by with less of a telephoto.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Beachlover1989 said:

So is this just the bottom of your shoes you have to rinse off? Or the whole shoe? I’m envisioning an uncomfortably wet tennis shoe all week….

After a dry landing, you just sanitize the bottom of the shoe so your shoes stay dry.  For wet landings, you will want something that can get wet and that does get rinsed off completely to get the sand out.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beachlover1989 said:

Can you post a picture of the backpack? Do you know if the people in the Royal Suite get one too?

This is the backpack everyone receives.  It's mesh on the top and solid the bottom half.  It is not super strong and doesn't hold a lot.

IMG_1314.thumb.jpg.4b70721f92a548168e06469e19628db3.jpg

This is the backpack we received because we are in the penthouse.  I think it is the same backpack everyone gets on Flora.  It is quite nice.  I do not know if the Royal Suite gets this one as well but I would guess they do.  We don't have anyone in the Royal Suite on our cruise.

IMG_1315.thumb.jpg.f9e2ea2af386ac7585ff510f5ffdae4a.jpg

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, prmssk said:

I brought with me an 16-35mm, a 60mm macro, and an 80-400mm telephoto with a crop sensor DSLR (Nikon D500).  I have not used the 60mm yet.  The 16-35mm was my go to lens in Quito.  I have used the 80-400mm for 90+ percent of the photos in the Galapagos so far.  I do use a good portion of that range - not everything is at 400mm.

I think we will have some more scenic stops to do some landscapes coming up but so far the focus has been on wildlife.  I think I am the only one on the ship with a lens like that.  There are a couple of people with DSLR or mirrorless cameras with basic kit lenses (I don't think any of them have more than a 200mm) but most people are just using their cell phone.  

I doubt anyone has a camera as nice as your D500 either (cropped or full size).

On 11/12/2023 at 1:52 PM, Shiba_Lover said:

That was also my dilemma.  We opted for a 9:30 start with the guide, and did the cable car + a short hike at the top of the mountain, then we did a few things in town that did not overlap with the Celebrity tour, including some foodie type stops for snacks - we had a nice day, then capped it off at a small arts market - it had souvenier type things (took all of 15 minutes to walk through since the stalls repeated).  Then back to the hotel around I think 4 ish.  Lounged by the pool for a bit to relax.  Was a nice day.

We decided to go with your option.

On 11/9/2023 at 7:01 PM, Poconolady said:

I’ll be following, we are on the Flora next Aug., it was the only ship that I could get three cabins together, on our our preferred  date.

We booked Flora for Oct 2025.  I hope you also do a live blog!!  

• Like 1

We just got back from dinner.  It's about 9:45 p.m.  I did four excursions today.  I'm not going to get a full post out today with photos.  I'm still sorting through the morning photos.  But I thought I would make a brief post to help me not forget things.

Before I begin on the day's events, I want to start at about 4:30 a.m.  The ship was really rocking and rolling which is what I think woke me up.  I stepped out onto our forward facing balcony and my breath was taken away by the number of stars I saw.  Then a pair of gulls, which I later confirmed were Swallow-tailed Gulls, started soaring along side the ship, playing with each other and calling out with a clicking sound.  Ahead of me the darkness was so black, that I could not see where the ship was going yet both the ship and this pair of gulls didn't hesitate to move forward into what appeared to be the unknown.  It was too dark for any photos which perhaps forced me more deeply into the experience. It was magical to say the least.  For those sailing in the future, I encourage you to find time to get out and observe the night sky. 

We spent the morning at Tagus Cove, Isabela Island.  We opted for the extended wildlife zodiac ride with no landing which I think was the right choice.  Other options included a long, fitness walk or a wildlife zodiac ride with a short steep walk.  This was a dry landing for those that did a walk.  We had the pleasure of having Cristina, our Excursion Director on this excursion.  She is a wealth of knowledge and has become my go-to person for all my bird questions.  This morning from the zodiac, we had some close encounters with Galapagos Penguins, Blue-footed Boobies, Brown Noddy Terns, Flightless Cormorants, Brown Pelicans, a shorebird called the Wandering Tattler, and more.  It really was a great experience.

Then we did an advanced deep water snorkel (at the same port).  Advanced Deep Water Snorkels just means you won't be able to touch the bottom.  You enter the water from the zodiac and return back to the zodiac.  It helps to have snorkeled before but it is more important that you can swim and climb a ladder back into the zodiac.  There are flotation devices you can wear.  Everyone is issued a wet suit (shorty), mask, snorkel, fins, and safety device (if you want - it's not mandatory).  

The water on the western part of the Galapagos (especially Isabela and Fernandinaz) is colder than in other parts (currently low 70s vs. upper 70s in other parts of the Galapagos) and it was definitely chilly.  I was glad to have brought with a long sleeved swim shirt and swim leggings.

We swam with flightless cormorants, Galapagos Penguins, and lots of very colorful fish.  I had last snorkeled in Hawaii in May which was an amazing snorkeling experience but Hawaii just didn't compare to the Galapagos.  It will be hard to snorkel elsewhere after this.

After lunch, we had moved to Punta Espinoza, Fernandina Island, and so I snorkeled for the second time, again an advanced deep water snorkel from the zodiacs.  We saw so many turtles on this snorkel, along with fish, cormorants, penguins, marine iguanas, and even a sea lion.  Others in my group managed to catch a cormorant catch and start eating an octopus (I was further behind and only heard about this later).  

After the snorkel, we had about 45 minutes to get ready for the last excursion of the day.  Our options were a short or long walk, both a dry landing.  Knowing my limits, we did the short walk where we saw more marine iguanas than you can imagine along with sea lions, including a mom and pup.

Upon returning to the ship, we had limited time to shower and get ready for the evening's excursion briefing and then Dinner Under the Stars at the Beagle Grill.  Out came the white table cloths and the typical three course menu of the MDR but out under the stars.  Here's the dinner menu.

IMG_1370.thumb.jpg.e5fc9df27f2284fb313ef9b784acc351.jpg

Tomorrow is a lighter day with a longer gap between the morning and afternoon excursions so I really hope to get caught up on photos.  In the evening, we cross the equator.  Until tomorrow....

• Like 10

@prmssk

I read reports on other websites that the beef steaks are not very good, tough and chewy. If you tried any, how did you think they were?

I'm really enjoying your posts, thank you. We’re on the February 10 sailing, leaving the states on the 8th. 

• Thanks 1

Rebecca,

Dark skies are sight to behold.  You should be able to see the Southern Cross and the Milky Way spilling though it.  Also you should be able to see the Small and Large Magellanic Clouds which are satellite galaxies orbiting around ours.  They are naked eye objects (dim blurs) but binoculars help quite a bit.

So far on your trip, what is your opinion for the need of using a dry (watertight) bag for your camera gear as far as wet landings go?  

Good night.

David

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

I read reports on other websites that the beef steaks are not very good, tough and chewy. If you tried any, how did you think they were?

I don't eat red meat and my husband isn't a big steak eater so I can't answer this question.  I have really enjoyed the fish and seafood though.  The chicken has been a bit overdone the couple times we tried it which I've just come to expect when cruising on any line.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1