World Class Bar vs Martini Bar (Eclipse)

zitsky

On our October cruise on the Eclipse, the WCB seemed relatively quiet most of the time.  The bartenders are very talented and each drinks is made with care and detail.  The alcohol selections were more limited than other venues.  The Martini Bar was a different story.

We don't drink exotic blended or "umbrella" drinks, so our favorite bar on this class ship has always been the Ensemble Lounge.  Usually book AQ, so it's close to Blu as well as the specialty restaurants.  Has always had a fun bar staff.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Will they make me a Long Island iced tea at the WCB?  It’s a good way to start my morning.  😂

WCB opens at 5 pm, so nothing in the morning.

On another note, I have had bartenders at WCB try to recreate the ginger mojito from the days the bar was called the Molecular Bar.  Usually I had to spend a few evenings at the bar before I even tried to ask for a ginger mojito.

And a very brief video I made of the Martini Bar, also on Eclipse.  You should be able to easily spot the different vibes in each bar.  Again, I preferred WCB, but it might be too mellow/sedate for some.

Edited by Stockjock

11 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

World Class bar is a partnership with Diageo, which is why you only find specific, high-end brands and a craft-cocktail menu that's is not available elsewhere onboard. This is why the bar doesn't participate in the Captain's Club elite happy hour, or make normal house drinks... you won't be able to get something simple there. 

I also think the bartenders who work at the World Class Bar may receive outside training by Diageo (in addition to the normal Celebrity bar training), but I'm not positive on that. 

That was the case at one time, but now they pour Brugal rum (non Diageo) when they’re out of Zacapa. WCB used to be our hangout but some of the bartenders are just that…not the well trained mixologists of the past.

They used to not go off menu but in our recent experience they will.

11 hours ago, lovecruzin said:

Not very. They have more background music at that hour, if any.

When are you cruising? Look for the bar server, Made. He is excellent.

I’m on the Eclipse 12/23.  I need a place to take my fan club.  There are two of us.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Stockjock said:

And a very brief video I made of the Martini Bar, also on Eclipse.  You should be able to easily spot the different vibes in each bar.  Again, I preferred WCB, but it might be too mellow/sedate for some.

I see the difference now.  In one of them the bartender is standing on the counter.  Not very hygienic.  I’ll have two.

• Haha 1

Was on the Silhouette last year and WCB was far and away the best. We started there the first night and had all of our friends there by the end of the cruise.

It appears that they have changed their menu, though. As the drinks I saw now were not what we had previously and loved. 😞

17 hours ago, lovecruzin said:

That was the case at one time, but now they pour Brugal rum (non Diageo) when they’re out of Zacapa. WCB used to be our hangout but some of the bartenders are just that…not the well trained mixologists of the past.

They used to not go off menu but in our recent experience they will.

Yikes! Diageo still uses the world class branding for their mixology schools/competitions, so I assume the partnership is still active? https://www.diageobaracademy.com/en-zz/home/world-class

Maybe there's a chance that the World Class bar on Celebrity goes the way of the Molecular Bar? 

2 hours ago, crusnbee said:

Was on the Silhouette last year and WCB was far and away the best. We started there the first night and had all of our friends there by the end of the cruise.

It appears that they have changed their menu, though. As the drinks I saw now were not what we had previously and loved. 😞

Our experience is they will usually make the previous menu drinks if they have the ingredients and have worked there long enough to know the recipe.

On 11/20/2023 at 12:53 PM, zitsky said:

Will they make me a Long Island iced tea at the WCB?  It’s a good way to start my morning.  😂

My earliest drinks have been the coffee ++ alcohol drinks at Cafe al Bacio.  2nd earliest have been the drinks at the Elite Breakfast.  I have had to wait until 1000-1100 when the bar in the Retreat opens to get my LIT fix. 

15 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

My earliest drinks have been the coffee ++ alcohol drinks at Cafe al Bacio.  2nd earliest have been the drinks at the Elite Breakfast.  I have had to wait until 1000-1100 when the bar in the Retreat opens to get my LIT fix. 

You wait for the Retreat bar to open?  Just jump over the counter like the rest of us.  🙄

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You wait for the Retreat bar to open?  Just jump over the counter like the rest of us.  🙄

I'll have to find out what ships you sail.  The ones I have been on, they lock up the liquor in the Retreat Lounge.  I guess now I know why !!  🙂 🙂 🙂 

Personally I don't like the vibe of the World Class bar.  Too much out in the open, with lots of people walking back and forth going to shops, shows, etc.  Someone said it is more 'intimate'.  In the sense that it is smaller, yes it is.  But it's very much out in the open so to speak.  I do agree that the Martini Bar can be a madhouse at times, but there are areas along the sides and the windows where you can relax a bit - or try to luck out at a seat at the bar where it is more lively and you can watch the bartenders get fancy with pouring their martinis at times.  A lot of fun.

4 hours ago, lovecruzin said:

Oops, that is Santos in the picture!

But Ralph was one of the mixologists at WCB on Eclipse!

Santos runs all the bars on Celebrity now.  He has stripes (I always call him a suit now)!  I last saw him on Beyond in October.  He’s the best of the best!