Drink package

catz821

We will be on the wonder of the seas for our Christmas cruise. Got a price of the drink package preboarding $89per day per person.  Just wondering how much drinks are on board, frozen drinks a glass of wine at dinner or a cocktail? Trying to figure out if it will be worth us getting it or not. Thanks for any replies.

1 hour ago, catz821 said:

We will be on the wonder of the seas for our Christmas cruise. Got a price of the drink package preboarding $89per day per person.  Just wondering how much drinks are on board, frozen drinks a glass of wine at dinner or a cocktail? Trying to figure out if it will be worth us getting it or not. Thanks for any replies.

At 6-8 drinks it might not be worth it unless you drink quite a bit. You can find menus with prices on RCI website.

I have never bought the DBP and have always came out ahead by several hundred dollars between my wife and I. I drink whatever I want, whenever I want and never feel like I have to drink to meet a break even point. I usually do port intensive itineraries so getting in 6-8 drinks on those port days just seems more like a chore to me. But again, this is ME and how much I drink. If you think 6-8 a day isn’t a big deal, then go for it! 

Edited by TheDawg79
  • Like 2

Its been a few years since I've been on RCCL, but we just booked on Wonder in January. I was looking at the drink package (non alcoholic) and it now says tea and coffee. Does that mean you can no longer get free iced tea or hot coffee with your meals? Iced tea was always free in the DR with meals.

If you're not a big drinker the refreshment beverage package has historically been our go-to for cruises, keeping in mind port day's (outside of cococay/labadee) you will still have the "break even" drinks to keep in mind. You already purchased the package anyway, try it out and see if it works for y'all. I would say most of the mixed drinks are $14-18 depending on size and type. Wine I saw starting at $9 a glass (think Yellowtail quality) and beers around $7 (Bud Light, etc). 

Even the NA mocktails are $7 and keep in mind none of the listed prices include the 18% gratuity. I am not a drinker anymore (my drinking persona would wind up in the brig as she was wild and the list goes on and on why I'm sober fabulous now) and I having the Mocktails options and bringing on my allotted cabin bottles of NA Sparkling wine. 

Happy Sailing!!  

9 hours ago, Billybob323 said:

Its been a few years since I've been on RCCL, but we just booked on Wonder in January. I was looking at the drink package (non alcoholic) and it now says tea and coffee. Does that mean you can no longer get free iced tea or hot coffee with your meals? Iced tea was always free in the DR with meals.

The tea and coffee referenced in the drink package descriptions are the specialty versions which have a charge, with the exception of Starbucks kiosks.  Those are not included. 

There is still basic free tea and coffee available.

Personally, I think few people actually benefit from the drink package, but it's a math problem, and only you know the variables to plug in:  

Drink prices:  

- Cocktails run about $16, including mandatory 18% tip 

- Beer runs about $9.50, including mandatory 18% tip 

- Sodas run about $4.50/can, including mandatory 18% tip 

- Bottled water is about $3.50, including mandatory 18% tip

- Smoothies, Protein Shakes & Milkshakes run $9.50-12, including mandatory 18% tip 

So you can figure how many of those you'd likely drink per day and have an idea of whether the package is worthwhile for you.  

BUT numerous details muddy the waters: 

- Water, iced tea, lemonade and fruit punch are always available without cost.  So are basic coffee, hot tea and hot chocolate.  Fruit juice and milk are available at breakfast, but typically aren't available later in the day -- though you can bring some back to your stateroom during breakfast hours.  With those drinks available, you're not going to go thirsty.  

- Bottled water is 100% not necessary.  The water onboard is sanitized and tastes perfectly good, but -- if you disagree or want something handy to take ashore -- you can order a case of water to your cabin for less than the individual waters.  

- Package costs tend to run higher on newer, larger ships, so what's "worth it" on one ship may not be "worth it" on another ship -- even for the same person.

- If you're a Crown & Anchor. member, you'll get a couple discounted drinks. 

- If you're not fussy about cocktails, the drink of the day is a little cheaper -- like $12 including tip. 

- If you're on a ship with a Playmakers Sports Bar, you can get a pitcher of beer for about $20 (including mandatory 18% tip), and that's about 8 glasses.  MUCH cheaper than buying individually; but, of course, pitchers have some limitations.  You already know that.  

- The pool bar sells a Bucket of Beers, which is kinda like buying 4 /getting 5.  

- You're allowed to carry on 12 non-alcoholic drinks + one bottle of wine.  

- When you go into port, you can drink for less money.  

Last thought:  If you're going to buy, buy NOW.  We're just finishing up Black Friday /Cyber Monday, and right now the package is about as cheap as it's ever going to be.  If you decide to cancel it later, you can do so up until ... two days before you sail?  But know that you'll have to pay for it NOW when you book it; that is, it won't be added to your bill that's due weeks before you cruise.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 5

I know this is RCI. However, FYI!

Just got off of Princess.

They have a Princess Plus pkg which includes drinks, gratitude's, unlimited Wi-Fi, plus other perks at $60 per day.

So, why is RCI, $70-$100± for just the Beverage pkg? 

• Like 3

NCL has Free at Sea (FAS) which gets you some wifi coverage, 50$ towards each excursion, some specialty dinning, and the drinks package and all you pay is the gratuity.

i will be cruising on RCI only because it’s a family trip and I didn’t pick it. It’s not the line I would choose for myself. I won’t be getting the drink package and won’t be drinking heavily on that cruise. 

• Like 1

Something I don't understand. People talk about a basic price for a drink plus gratuity. But when I'm being quoted for a drinks package, I'm being quoted basic price plus tax plus gratuity. If I pay as I go is it basic plus gratuity or basic plus tax plus gratuity?

13 hours ago, Frankmac said:

Something I don't understand. People talk about a basic price for a drink plus gratuity. But when I'm being quoted for a drinks package, I'm being quoted basic price plus tax plus gratuity. If I pay as I go is it basic plus gratuity or basic plus tax plus gratuity?

Depends where you’re sailing?
Intra EU from Spain will have basic + vat + tips showing on the bill.

If the cruise includes non EU port then it’s basic + tips. 

If the sailing is from Southampton then it’s the basic only ( as tips included in advertised  prices)

Edited by little britain

• 2 weeks later...

This price is making it tough.  I like to drink on a cruise and drink more than most.  I miss the days when I could get it for around $50.  I just checked and it is $88.  I will keep checking daily & if it drops to $70 I will go ahead and buy it.  

6 hours ago, KsucAts said:

This price is making it tough.  I like to drink on a cruise and drink more than most.  I miss the days when I could get it for around $50.  I just checked and it is $88.  I will keep checking daily & if it drops to $70 I will go ahead and buy it.  

I do not know what level of C&A you are but...We are Diamond currently and bought the DBP for our January sailing.  AFTER that sailing we will be Diamond Plus.  At that point, we will no longer buy the DBP and just use our 5 freed drinks per person per day and pay as we go for the rest.  Seems like a no-brainer....or did I miss something.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bgoff60 said:

I do not know what level of C&A you are but...We are Diamond currently and bought the DBP for our January sailing.  AFTER that sailing we will be Diamond Plus.  At that point, we will no longer buy the DBP and just use our 5 freed drinks per person per day and pay as we go for the rest.  Seems like a no-brainer....or did I miss something.

Thanks.  We have only done 3 cruises on Royal, so no status.  That would be a nice perk and 5 per day would definitely make it so we wouldn't need the package.

On 11/27/2023 at 2:13 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

Personally, I think few people actually benefit from the drink package, but it's a math problem, and only you know the variables to plug in:  

Drink prices:  

- Cocktails run about $16, including mandatory 18% tip 

- Beer runs about $9.50, including mandatory 18% tip 

- Sodas run about $4.50/can, including mandatory 18% tip 

- Bottled water is about $3.50, including mandatory 18% tip

- Smoothies, Protein Shakes & Milkshakes run $9.50-12, including mandatory 18% tip 

So you can figure how many of those you'd likely drink per day and have an idea of whether the package is worthwhile for you.  

BUT numerous details muddy the waters: 

- Water, iced tea, lemonade and fruit punch are always available without cost.  So are basic coffee, hot tea and hot chocolate.  Fruit juice and milk are available at breakfast, but typically aren't available later in the day -- though you can bring some back to your stateroom during breakfast hours.  With those drinks available, you're not going to go thirsty.  

- Bottled water is 100% not necessary.  The water onboard is sanitized and tastes perfectly good, but -- if you disagree or want something handy to take ashore -- you can order a case of water to your cabin for less than the individual waters.  

- Package costs tend to run higher on newer, larger ships, so what's "worth it" on one ship may not be "worth it" on another ship -- even for the same person.

- If you're a Crown & Anchor. member, you'll get a couple discounted drinks. 

- If you're not fussy about cocktails, the drink of the day is a little cheaper -- like $12 including tip. 

- If you're on a ship with a Playmakers Sports Bar, you can get a pitcher of beer for about $20 (including mandatory 18% tip), and that's about 8 glasses.  MUCH cheaper than buying individually; but, of course, pitchers have some limitations.  You already know that.  

- The pool bar sells a Bucket of Beers, which is kinda like buying 4 /getting 5.  

- You're allowed to carry on 12 non-alcoholic drinks + one bottle of wine.  

- When you go into port, you can drink for less money.  

Last thought:  If you're going to buy, buy NOW.  We're just finishing up Black Friday /Cyber Monday, and right now the package is about as cheap as it's ever going to be.  If you decide to cancel it later, you can do so up until ... two days before you sail?  But know that you'll have to pay for it NOW when you book it; that is, it won't be added to your bill that's due weeks before you cruise.  

Good, detailed response, although I think more than a few people benefit from the deluxe package, including several people I cruise with frequently. I always find it amusing when people ask online if they should get the drink package, although the OP didn’t specifically ask that. No one here can adequately answer that question without knowing their drinking habits, their financial situation, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2023 at 9:05 AM, catz821 said:

Keep checking the price my cruise a couple of weeks ago was 72 per person per day . Cost of wine depends on what you order some wines exceeds the limit some are way under . Is the 89 a sale ? If not you should be able to wait a couple of days then buy it.

I know this is an RCI Forum. However, on  Celebrity and here, people are complaining about the Beverage Package Prices. I think they both are over priced. JMHO!

If people are interested, I will post prices from other cruise lines. When I do, some people get nasty and say 'go cruise that line.' 

To me, this is what these forums are for. Information, regardless of cruise line. 

Let the fun begin!  

• Like 2