Princess "Chat" Session

Pickels

Don't waste your time going on a Princess chat session. -- first, they will tell you how many others are ahead of you, then, when they get down to you, they will ask you if you're still waiting, please enter "Yes".  They will repeat this over and over and over until you lose patience and hang up.!  Great customer support!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Pickels said:

Don't waste your time going on a Princess chat session. -- first, they will tell you how many others are ahead of you, then, when they get down to you, they will ask you if you're still waiting, please enter "Yes".  They will repeat this over and over and over until you lose patience and hang up.!  Great customer support!  

I feel your pain.  I recently spent an hour with a agent on chat, trying to get a straight answer about a visa issue and which visa the shoreside staff would be checking at embarkation.  Two visas are required, an ETA if you go ashore and the other is a Transit visa if you arrive and leave on the same vessel.

Amongst the answers were.

The ETA would be available on the ship and charged to my account.

I would need to show the ETA at check in.

I need a Transit visa (the country does not even require a Transit visa if you are just passing through by ship)

The Transit visa would be purchased on the ship and charged to my account.

I would need to show my Transit visa at check-in.

I still have no idea what documents I'll need to show at check in for this country.

7 minutes ago, JGmf said:

You can get a chat session to actually load?

I've tried for two days on two browers (Firefox and Chrome) and no luck, after trying multiple times. 

Oh well, I'll just call...

Yeah, I finally got connected first thing Sunday morning after two days of trying.

I wanted chat so that I could have a transcript of the call because of the ambiguous language in the travel summary for that port. After that hour I'll never get back, I sent an email to customer service at Princess and requested an email reply - no phone call - so that would again have a written record.

I refuse to call unless the call center is staffed with people for whom English is their first language.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

I feel your pain.  I recently spent an hour with a agent on chat, trying to get a straight answer about a visa issue and which visa the shoreside staff would be checking at embarkation.  Two visas are required, an ETA if you go ashore and the other is a Transit visa if you arrive and leave on the same vessel.

I need a Transit visa (the country does not even require a Transit visa if you are just passing through by ship)

I still have no idea what documents I'll need to show at check in for this country.

Have you check with the Country Government website to see what is required. Furthermore, Princess usually states on their website what document is required. It’s under your Cruise Personalizer. 
I agree with you it would be nice to get it in writing and in the past before Covid the chat line was very useful. 

Someone told me the people on Princess chat line are Trainees.  Who knows. I have been lucky with the chat people before Covid and now I guess things have changed. I try last week for the first time in 2 years and all I got “are you still there”. I don’t know how many times I said “yes” then I just gave up. 

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Have you tried the visa service that shows in your travel summary?  It may help or you could call them.  Here’s the link:

https://cibtvisas.com/tourkits?bookmark=1&login=princesscruiseline

Otherwise, your TA/CVP could help or look under each country to see what is required.

I’m sure you know this already, just thought I’d share.

2 hours ago, DHP1 said:

Have you check with the Country Government website to see what is required. Furthermore, Princess usually states on their website what document is required. It’s under your Cruise Personalizer. 
I agree with you it would be nice to get it in writing and in the past before Covid the chat line was very useful. 

Yes, I did check with immigration of the country.  The language in my booking travel summary is unclear.  The country does not require  Transit visa if one arrives and leaves on the same vessel.  Princess says a Transit visa is required, but then can't decide if they will issue it onboard or if I need to show it in order to board.

Then Princess states that an ETA is required if one plans to go ashore - which I don't - but they cannot assure me that I will be allowed to board without the ETA even if I won't be going ashore.

Without clear guidance from Princess, I will probably bear the expense of an ETA that I won't need just to keep some zealous check in agent telling me that I can't board unless I have it even if I don't need it.

16 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Yes, I did check with immigration of the country.  The language in my booking travel summary is unclear.  The country does not require  Transit visa if one arrives and leaves on the same vessel.  Princess says a Transit visa is required, but then can't decide if they will issue it onboard or if I need to show it in order to board.

Then Princess states that an ETA is required if one plans to go ashore - which I don't - but they cannot assure me that I will be allowed to board without the ETA even if I won't be going ashore.

Without clear guidance from Princess, I will probably bear the expense of an ETA that I won't need just to keep some zealous check in agent telling me that I can't board unless I have it even if I don't need it.

May I ask where you are going?  You stated ETA which could mean Australia. Are you going to New Zealand also and if so, you do require one there (NZeTA) also. All of this can be done online on the Government websites or their App. We did this cruise last year. These requirements also located in your Travel Summary near the end. 
I do apologize to others as I went off topic. 

Edited by DHP1

4 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

May I ask where you are going?  You stated ETA which could mean Australia. Are you going to New Zealand also and if so, you do require one there (NZeTA) also. All of this can be done online on the Government websites or their App. We did this cruise last year. These requirements also located in your Travel Summary near the end. 

Ditto.  I agree also.

5 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Sure.  The port causing me the problems is Sri Lanka.  Not sure why Princess is even porting there with the civil unrest, but maybe they got a deal on fuel.

I have my ETAs for OZ and NZ, no problem, all very clear.  Been there before.

The issue is, boiled down, Sri Lanka does not require a Transit visa for cruises, but Princess can't decide if I'll need one before I embark or if they'll issue it onboard.  Then how will they determine if I'm going ashore or not, and thus require an ETA.

Frustrated because I can't get a definitive answer.

11 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Sure.  The port causing me the problems is Sri Lanka.  Not sure why Princess is even porting there with the civil unrest, but maybe they got a deal on fuel.

The issue is, boiled down, Sri Lanka does not require a Transit visa for cruises, but Princess can't decide if I'll need one before I embark or if they'll issue it onboard.  Then how will they determine if I'm going ashore or not, and thus require an ETA.

FYI - https://visa-sri-lanka.com/do-you-need-eta/

I would apply on the safe side.

Edited by DHP1

3 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

FYI - https://visa-sri-lanka.com/do-you-need-eta/

I would apply on the safe side. According to the application there is no charge. 

Thanks.  That's what I'll have to do.  It will be interesting to see what they ask for at embarkation in order to board.  I'm ornery enough to make them show me what I'm supposed to have when 1. I'm not going ashore and 2. Sri Lanka doesn't require a Transit visa.

Why can't some intern come up with some clear language for the travel summary to explain what one will need if you are going ashore or not?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Transit Visa

What is a Transit Visa ?

A Transit Visa, as its name implies, is an entry permit granted to a foreign national for admission into Sri Lanka for a brief period which is incidental and in the course of his journey to another destination.

What are the eligibility requirements for a Transit visa ?

Any foreign national who is en-route to another country via Sri Lanka is the only eligible applicant for transit visas.

A Transit Visa is not required by a passenger who enters Sri Lanka in the course of an unbroken journey, and the journey is to be continued by the same vessel or carrier.

https://www.immigration.gov.lk/pages_e.php?id=31#:~:text=Any foreign national who is,the same vessel or carrier.

Omg. Am I off topic. My apologize goes to the Author 

Edited by DHP1

13 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I apologize to the OP.  Just want to reply to this.

PCL website says:  Required paid ETA if your visiting. You buy it

on the App.

If you’re transiting or not getting off you will still need a transit free visa. You still need it ahead of your cruise.

Guests who plan to go ashore in Sri Lanka require an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) when visiting Colombo, Sri Lanka. The Free Intransit Visa must be processed online and obtained in advance of your cruise.

ETA applications must be made online. Select the "Transit ETA" option and complete all required information. Please print your ETA confirmation and bring it with you to cruise check-in to speed immigration processing.

That’s how I read it.  So, get the free transit visa and NP.

PCL website;

https://www.princess.com/en-us/faq/pre-cruise

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 3:59 AM, CaptainPedantic said:

I must have been lucky - or maybe being in UK timezone helps - but I've used the chat function twice and both times been really impressed with the service.

You must have made contact with a professional, knowledgeable Princess staff member, not some temp making a few bucks on the chat. Great for you! 

17 minutes ago, Pickels said:

You must have made contact with a professional, knowledgeable Princess staff member, not some temp making a few bucks on the chat. Great for you! 

I suppose it's because we have booked so many cruises through our CVP, we probably get better service. And from reading here, other CC members claim to cruise more than we do. When we have had questions or problems, I have not had the need to use the Chat feature, wait on hold, deal with accents or misinformation from someone inexperience or poorly trained. Our CVP is our go-to for answers or as liason to other Princess services. YMMV

On 11/29/2023 at 10:24 AM, Pickels said:

I was waiting about 2 hours the other day!