WiFi pricing increasing next week

BlerkOne

8 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The Hub app doesn't require Internet. Why should everyone subsidize Internet for the subset that want Internet?

The hub app does pull data, not a ton, but it does. I’m sure Carnival includes this for free because it’s beneficial to them to have everyone on it.

5 minutes ago, coffeeboy77 said:

The hub app does pull data, not a ton, but it does. I’m sure Carnival includes this for free because it’s beneficial to them to have everyone on it.

What data does it pull? The app only required the Intranet - not the Internet. When the satellite link is down, I can still use the app.

22 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Nothing is free. You pay for it one way or another.

You keep saying that as if it justifies price increases. One fewer comedian or production show will easily pay for free WiFi and attract millions of millennials who need to be connected to the internet to enjoy life. Carnival needs to think outside the box if it wants to survive.

10 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

You keep saying that as if it justifies price increases. One fewer comedian or production show will easily pay for free WiFi and attract millions of millennials who need to be connected to the internet to enjoy life. Carnival needs to think outside the box if it wants to survive.

LOL. Millions?

The price increases are justified by Carnival having to add capacity to try to satisfy demand. Those who need to be connected to the Internet to enjoy life are as bad as alcoholics who need to drink. Life goes on.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

What data does it pull? The app only required the Intranet - not the Internet. When the satellite link is down, I can still use the app.

I had the hub app on three devices on my recent Venezia cruise and on all three devices the hub app used a small amount of data. I would say for security. There is a lot of personal information, including account information on that app.  I’m sure carnival corp has multiple layers of security.  I would also guess for updates, or the ability to update.  My point was simply we all use and benefit from the IT.  Some will use the IT more than others, but we all use it.  It really is a shared benefit.

42 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I get your point but the comedy clubs on Carnival are big money makers, they sell a lot of alcohol. And they're much cheaper for Carnival to put on than the playlist shows for example.

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

I get your point but the comedy clubs on Carnival are big money makers, they sell a lot of alcohol. And they're much cheaper for Carnival to put on than the playlist shows for example.

I guess if people didn't buy the WiFi Carnival wouldn't keep raising prices but I intend to look at cruise lines that include it as part of the total price.

3 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I guess if people didn't buy the WiFi Carnival wouldn't keep raising prices but I intend to look at cruise lines that include it as part of the total price.

Cruise lines don't eat the cost of Internet. You will still pay for it and not have an option to opt out.

11 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Cruise lines don't eat the cost of Internet. You will still pay for it and not have an option to opt out.

I think it's somewhat like Spirit Airlines vs. Southwest vs. Delta.

Carnival is great if you are OK without all the add-ons or if you only want some add-ons. If you want add-ons like meat with a bone in it, wifi, soda, included gratuities, etc., you can get it with Carnival - or you can pay more on the front-end and sail a line where all this is included already. And because you're starting at a different baseline, you'll likely enjoy an overall elevated experience.

11 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Yes they will eat the cost - because the next generation will demand it, and the marketing opportunities will balance the cost.  Some would say the status quo is horse and buggy thinking.

2 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I think it's somewhat like Spirit Airlines vs. Southwest vs. Delta.

Carnival is great if you are OK without all the add-ons or if you only want some add-ons. If you want add-ons like meat with a bone in it, wifi, soda, included gratuities, etc., you can get it with Carnival - or you can pay more on the front-end and sail a line where all this is included already. And because you're starting at a different baseline, you'll likely enjoy an overall elevated experience.

Never tried Spirit and have no interest. I still fly Southwest on occasion, but Delta has priced themselves out of my market - and I get a BOGO coupon with them annually. I'd rather pay for Internet if I want it o Southwest, and I usually have free Internet on American and United through TMobile.

What mass market cruise line includes Internet for all?

3 minutes ago, coffeeboy77 said:

Yes they will eat the cost - because the next generation will demand it, and the marketing opportunities will balance the cost.  Some would say the status quo is horse and buggy thinking.

Lol. You have a lot to learn about how businesses operate in the real world.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, coffeeboy77 said:

They're leaving a huge market to competitors by continuing to charge ever more for the internet, that's for sure. So many people do remote work while on vacation these days.

23 minutes ago, mz-s said:

They're leaving a huge market to competitors by continuing to charge ever more for the internet, that's for sure. So many people do remote work while on vacation these days.

this is the internet price for my upcoming cruise on royal :

image.png.2a016a22388fb5b89814a3a7b7a8e728.png

20 dollars a day. That is on par with carnival new rates

IMHO, it looks like carnival is following their competitors by charging identical pricing

Royal steakhouse, chops is about 55 dollars a person compare to carnival 50 dollars.

On 12/1/2023 at 8:26 PM, jimbo5544 said:

And drinks….and no gratuities……and free gambling……and no charge for excursions….and free pictures……

Lets not exaggerate . Every hotel you stay at includes wifi. This is a floating one.  

10 hours ago, shof515 said:

this is the internet price for my upcoming cruise on royal :

image.png.2a016a22388fb5b89814a3a7b7a8e728.png

20 dollars a day. That is on par with carnival new rates

IMHO, it looks like carnival is following their competitors by charging identical pricing

Royal steakhouse, chops is about 55 dollars a person compare to carnival 50 dollars.

It is true that Carnival's closest competitor is probably Royal so that is a good comparison, thanks!

56 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

Lets not exaggerate . Every hotel you stay at includes wifi. This is a floating one.  

I do not have a dog in this fight, but I can assure you that within the last 90 days I stayed in two hotels where I had to pay for Wifi if I was not part of the loyalty program.

• Thanks 1

For all of those who ask for it to be included in the fare, remember what you are really asking for. Carnival doesn't just lose the revenue and now it's free. They will still want that revenue, and just add it into the fare. Those who currently buy the internet, would probably come out ahead. Those who don't, will end up paying more. More people will be using it, and performance likely won't be as good. 

With that said, I don't think I'll be paying $126 to go on Facebook for a week. 

On 12/2/2023 at 4:53 PM, jimbo5544 said:

Many hotel chains charge for wifi unless you are a member of their loyalty program.  

"Many hotel chains charge for wifi unless you are a member of their loyalty program."

I think you'll have to define "many" - because the last report I saw (2019) approximately 75% of hotel rooms in the USA provided no extra charge WiFi.

Now - a lot of them also offered a faster, pay, WiFi service - but almost all offer a provided at no extra charge WiFi.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 8:11 PM, BlerkOne said:

Nothing is free. You pay for it one way or another.

That just isn't true.

SOMEONE pays for it one way or another, but that someone isn't necessarily me.

I get free money from my credit card company. Other credit card users who don't pay their bill in full, and merchants paying fees to take credit cards pay for it. I largely don't.

On 12/2/2023 at 8:54 PM, BlerkOne said:

Whether it is bundled into a package or purchased separately, you still pay for it. Many people don't use the Internet when cruising. Why should everyone subsidize Internet usage for the few who want it?

I haven't seen any survey numbers since about 2017 - but even 6 years ago a MAJORITY of cruise ship passengers surveyed wanted internet access on board. Not a "few".

18 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The Hub app doesn't require Internet. Why should everyone subsidize Internet for the subset that want Internet?

That is a question that applies to basically every included amenity on the entire ship.

Why should everyone subsidize swimming pools for the subset that want swimming pools?

Why should everyone subsidize trivia contests for the subset that want trivia contests?

Why should everyone subsidize exercise facilities for the subset that want exercise facilities?

Etc., etc., etc.

Why? Because Carnival decides that is how they want to run things because they believe it is best for their business.

• Like 1