WiFi pricing increasing next week

BlerkOne

16 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Cruise lines don't eat the cost of Internet. You will still pay for it and not have an option to opt out.

Cruise lines don't eat the cost of anything. There are hundreds of things on every trip you still pay for and don't have the option to opt out of already.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

What mass market cruise line includes Internet for all?

None.

What fast food chain included internet for all in 2000?

What coffee chains included internet for all in 2000?

What cities offered WiFi for all in 2000?

What airlines had internet in air in 2000?

What hotels included internet for all in 2000?

The world changes.

24 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Cruise lines don't eat the cost of anything. There are hundreds of things on every trip you still pay for and don't have the option to opt out of already.

The fact that so much used to be included in a Carnival cruise used to be a huge selling point.

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

"Many hotel chains charge for wifi unless you are a member of their loyalty program."

I think you'll have to define "many" - because the last report I saw (2019) approximately 75% of hotel rooms in the USA provided no extra charge WiFi.

Now - a lot of them also offered a faster, pay, WiFi service - but almost all offer a provided at no extra charge WiFi.

Not worth debating any further.  Again, a major chain, and it def was not free (without being a member of loyalty).  That said, moving on.  

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not worth debating any further.  Again, a major chain, and it def was not free (without being a member of loyalty).  That said, moving on.  

It's not a debate.

Some hotels (~6%) charge a resort fee. Some hotels have a pay tier with higher performance.

...but just about 3 out of 4 (not all) hotels have some form of no extra charge internet.

1 minute ago, aborgman said:

It's not a debate.

Some hotels (~6%) charge a resort fee. Some hotels have a pay tier with higher performance.

...but just about 3 out of 4 (not all) hotels have some form of no extra charge internet.

Well then, I am glad it is not a debate.  

2 hours ago, aborgman said:

"Many hotel chains charge for wifi unless you are a member of their loyalty program."

I think you'll have to define "many" - because the last report I saw (2019) approximately 75% of hotel rooms in the USA provided no extra charge WiFi.

Now - a lot of them also offered a faster, pay, WiFi service - but almost all offer a provided at no extra charge WiFi.

Enjoy Motel 6. When it works.

2 hours ago, aborgman said:

I haven't seen any survey numbers since about 2017 - but even 6 years ago a MAJORITY of cruise ship passengers surveyed wanted internet access on board. Not a "few".

Want vs willing to pay for vs how much. A lot probably want different TV channels in the stateroom. How is that working?

On 12/2/2023 at 4:00 PM, mz-s said:

Carnival is really shooting themselves in the foot with hiking these prices. They could really lean in to the "work from home" millennials who can work from anywhere. They're handing that market to Virgin and getting the fighters and pot smokers instead. Their choice.

So work from home millennials are not the ones smoking pot? Because you might be surprised there….

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Enjoy Motel 6. When it works.

I haven't been to a Motel 6 in a while - but the cabin I rented in the UP had included WiFi, the Marriott I'm staying at in Orlando has included WiFi, and the resort I'm staying at in Belize has included WiFi.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Want vs willing to pay for vs how much. A lot probably want different TV channels in the stateroom. How is that working?

Exactly the same way every other customer desire works - if enough people want it, it WILL be included and those that don't want it will subsidize those that do.

Same exact reason that McDonalds, Starbucks, and thousands of other retailers provide no-cost WiFi.

See: increased vegetarian dining options.

On 12/2/2023 at 5:03 PM, mz-s said:

Pretty sure when Carnival released these new plans, the Social plan was $5 a day....

Exactly what i was thinking!

$35 for the week, to check in due some family heath issues each day, via the book of faces, was worth it.

At over $100 for a 7 day cruise...we'll go back to living unplugged from the world for the week. 

• Like 1

When CCL started the three levels of internet access the Social package was $5/day.  I purchased every cruise to stay in contact with the family.  I think the Social package at $15/day is a bit steep since you cannot access "most websites, email, video and music streaming services (i.e., Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Pandora), iMessage, Skype, cellular-network-dependent Wi-Fi calling and FaceTime services."  Maybe they will adjust their plans in the future or include it as a VIFP benefit for a reduced price or maybe even free.  I don't think free would be in their plans.    

Edited by JMAE

9 hours ago, JMAE said:

When CCL started the three levels of internet access the Social package was $5/day.  I purchased every cruise to stay in contact with the family.  I think the Social package at $15/day is a bit steep since you cannot access "most websites, email, video and music streaming services (i.e., Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Pandora), iMessage, Skype, cellular-network-dependent Wi-Fi calling and FaceTime services."  Maybe they will adjust their plans in the future or include it as a VIFP benefit for a reduced price or maybe even free.  I don't think free would be in their plans.    

The only way Carnival will make even basic wifi free on their ships is if Royal does it first. And even then they probably won't.

19 hours ago, aborgman said:

None.

What fast food chain included internet for all in 2000?

What coffee chains included internet for all in 2000?

What cities offered WiFi for all in 2000?

What airlines had internet in air in 2000?

What hotels included internet for all in 2000?

The world changes.

The world does change, but there is a far different cost structure to getting wifi on airplanes and cruise ships than there is in a hotel. Even more so when your cell service and other internet services are not available. 

Eventually, I see a world where people have Starlink-type internet wherever they go and cruise lines just raise their rates to make up for the lost revenue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

The world does change, but there is a far different cost structure to getting wifi on airplanes and cruise ships than there is in a hotel. Even more so when your cell service and other internet services are not available. 

Eventually, I see a world where people have Starlink-type internet wherever they go and cruise lines just raise their rates to make up for the lost revenue.

Actually - about 90% of the onboard infrastructure is identical.

The only real difference is the Starlink router.

The one they are selling for ships is ~$10,000 for the hardware, and ~$5000/month for the service.

Figure the average cruise ship is spending something like $80 per day per person on food. Food waste runs around 20%-30%. Call it $15 per day per person in food just thrown in the trash.

On a 2,000 person ship - that Starlink costs less than $0.10 per day per person.

17 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

5 Major Hotel Brands That Still Charge For Wi-Fi

https://www.mapquest.com/travel/5-major-hotel-brands-that-still-charge-for-wi-fi/

1) Mapquest? Is it 1997 again?

2) Great article - where the very first line about a hotel is: "It is true that you can get free internet in the Fairmont Hotels" 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1