Photos for online check-in

maggielou362

Although I do not have one of those devices it is my understanding that most people do take their photos with one. I wouldn't waste my time uploading the photos again. We uploaded  what appeared to be good photos taken with a camera for two voyages and both times the check-in person said he would have to take them again. The same happened with our friends. So the last time we boarded (in Vancouver) we skipped that step with on-line check-in. It took about 20 seconds for the photo to be taken on the pier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree completely with what was said above. I've struggled to take the photos with my iphone and at check in, they just roll their eyes and take another one. Seems to me, the last time we boarded, we didn't do it and they just took them  at the pier.

We've just done the online check in and all went thru just fine without the photos....boarding passes, luggage tags, etc are all printed and done.

Figure Cunard can sort out the photo thing......

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NE John said:

Can Cunard just use a photo from a previous photo during checking in? I’m sure they store the photos of our faces for security and safety purposes. 

They may store them on the ship for the duration of your cruise, I very much doubt they would store them long term.

• Like 1

This is such a hassle,umpteen times we tried and it kept saying it wasn't suitable,EVENTUALLY got ones that were accepted (looked like two escaped convicts) only to get to check in and the woman there said (whilst trying not to laugh at said pix) we'll need to do these again,apparently she said most need redoing,so why don't they just go back to the old way ...........walks away sighing lol

3 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Data protection wouldn’t allow their  storage beyond what they were needed for namely, your cruise. I always upload the same photo from either my phone or iPad and never had a problem. 

Yes, if you’ve got a photo that is acceptable, it is clearly a good idea to cherish it.

I've uploaded the same photos for the last three of our QM2 cruises (Nov 2022 Brooklyn check-in, May 2023 Southampton Mayflower check-in and Sep 2023 Brooklyn check-in). I took them with my cell phone and went to considerable lengths to make sure the lighting and background were good and the sizes of our faces were within the guidelines for passport photos. The first two times we checked in, the photos I uploaded were deemed acceptable. The last time, the check-in agent retook our photos. I'm not convinced he even looked at the photos I had uploaded though. He may have just been routinely taking everyone's photos as in the olden days. Your mileage may vary of course.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I've uploaded the same photos for the last three of our QM2 cruises (Nov 2022 Brooklyn check-in, May 2023 Southampton Mayflower check-in and Sep 2023 Brooklyn check-in). I took them with my cell phone and went to considerable lengths to make sure the lighting and background were good and the sizes of our faces were within the guidelines for passport photos. The first two times we checked in, the photos I uploaded were deemed acceptable. The last time, the check-in agent retook our photos. I'm not convinced he even looked at the photos I had uploaded though. He may have just been routinely taking everyone's photos as in the olden days. Your mileage may vary of course.

John,

Ditto with your experience.

Our voyage two times ago and all factors were taken to produce a acceptable photo was accepted with an acknowledgement.

Last sailing we submitted the same photo as we are going to use on the coming trip, but with all the chaos at the terminal, I believe our agent also just seemed to taken everyone's photo. I think they didn't care to see if a photo was submitted.

But we did everything to follow the instructions to produce a acceptable photo online.

Thank you...

• Thanks 1

I just store a Cunard photo in my bit of the Cloud and re-use it every time. It's the same photo that appears on my work id card. I wouldn't over-think this one, it appears on the Cunard screens just to confirm who you are, and it's just postage stamp sized on their screen, which don't have good resolutions either. So the crew are going to spend the briefest of glances at the photo, bearing in mind they will be seeing hundreds of other mini-photos every day.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, maggielou362 said:

Hello All,

Wondering about the passport-style photos that are to be uploaded when you check-in online before sailing.

Is a shot from a smartphone acceptable?

I wouldn't bother. We never upload photos and it's done when we check in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The only time I've ever had a problem with the photos I've uploaded has been with my then 11 month old. The check in agent retook the photo then as we got on board the guy manning the entry/exit scanner thing promptly shook his head, tutted and took another photo. 

Yes,  we always take photos in advance and yes,  always have them re-done at check in.  On a 2022 Cunard cruise,  the check- on agent,  as usual,  re-did our photos.  Interestingly,  a few days later,  when we were disembarking on a port-day, and I was bleeping my cruise card,  I noticed I had aged 10 years,  had doubled in weight and lost all my hair. IT WASN'T MY PHOTO! Did it make any difference to my getting on and off the ship in ports? No, of course not!

• Haha 4