Savory Bites

rncruiser

Savory bites have been taken out of the kitchen since covid. They were making them special order for a few cruises after but not anymore. The roll chef came out to my table once after i asked for them and he said they do not carry the flour that is needed for them. ….i was so disappointed

4 minutes ago, coachmike1959 said:

Savory bites have been taken out of the kitchen since covid. They were making them special order for a few cruises after but not anymore. The roll chef came out to my table once after i asked for them and he said they do not carry the flour that is needed for them. ….i was so disappointed

I had them on Allure last September. Any baker will tell you that is not factual.  They should have the Potato Bread Flour on all the ships, but maybe yours didn't.

Here's the recipe courtesy of BIGKAHUNA:

Savory Bites Recipe

Servings: 1157 pieces (!)

•25 pounds Potato Bread Flour.

•2 ½ pounds Savory base.

•2 pounds Margarine.

•5 ounces Dry Yeast

•7 ½ liters Water.

1.Mix all ingredients for 2 to 3 min slow and 5 to 6 min fast speed until well developed.

2.Rest the dough for 30 min.

3.Scale into 16 oz. pieces and pre shape.

4.Roll them sheet pan long and dip in Poppy seed, than put 9 pieces on one sheet pan.

5.Store in freezer overnight.

6.When ready to bake defrost about 3 hours in the fridge, cut them into small triangles (25 pieces per pound stick).

7.Place 9 x 6 on one sheet pan.

8.Bake them between 220 °C and 230 °C and steam for about 13 to 17 min until golden brown.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tips from Garden5B:

I cut down the recipe to 1/20th of the original. For my savory base, I used 2/3 soft sun-dried tomatoes, 1/3 potato flour and some italian seasoning. I ran it all through the food processor until it was pretty much the consistency of flour. I think next time, I would reduce the sun-dried tomatoes to 1/2 or slightly less, and make up the rest with the flour/italian seasoning.

As an avid bread baker, I think you will be able to substitute wheat flour (bread) for the potato flour though and come out pretty tasty anyway.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

My favorite are the old sourdough rolls and they have really cut back on them as well, but on Allure I asked for both of them and I got them the next night.  I even request them warmed and they were more than happy to comply.

One of my favorite adages: "You have not because you ask not".  So I always ask and politely smile if they refuse...and there are some times they do.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I had them on Allure last September. Any baker will tell you that is not factual.  They should have the Potato Bread Flour on all the ships, but maybe yours didn't.

Here's the recipe courtesy of BIGKAHUNA:

Savory Bites Recipe

Based on information from that thread (haven't tried this yet!) here's the home version.

Savory Bites for the HDR

48 servings

Ingredients:

23g      Potato Flour
431g    Refined Wheat Flour

45g      Marmite (the savory base)

36g      Margarine
6g        Instant Yeast

300g    Water

Directions:

1.Mix all ingredients for 2 to 3 min slow and 5 to 6 min fast speed in a stand mixer until well developed.

2.Rest the dough for 30 min.

4.Divide the dough in half. Roll each half, half-sheet pan long, then roll in poppy seeds.

5.Store in freezer overnight.

6.When ready to bake, defrost about 3 hours in the fridge, cut them into small triangles (24 pieces per roll).

7.Divide rolls between two half-sheet pans.

8. Preheat oven between 425F and 450F with one rack in the middle and another towards the bottom. On the lower rack, place an oven safe baking dish for water.

9. Once the oven is heated, place one sheet of rolls on the middle rack. Then pour 1 cup of boiling water into the oven safe baking dish.

10. Bake them for about 13 to 17 min until golden brown.

Edit: If you're a baker, you've noticed there's no salt listed as an ingredient. That's because the Marmite is providing the salt in this recipe.

Edited by Rackham
  • Like 1

Since I associate these with our cruises I won't be baking them myself.  I'd rather make them special by asking for them, if they are really phasing them out so be it.  But I wouldn't part with the sour dough rolls, they'll hear from me about those...I really look forward to them as we don't normally eat much bread anymore  (Keto)

• Like 1

No savory bites or sourdough rolls on Vision of the Seas out of Baltimore recently. Absolutely pathetic rolls at dinner--no flavor whatsoever. Such a drastic comedown from the good bread they used to have breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The only decent rolls we had over nine days were in Chops at lunch.

On 12/3/2023 at 10:30 AM, BecciBoo said:

Just ask for them at first dinner, they will have them for you the next day.  I have done it many times,

I have not been able to get them since the menu change early this year.

Before that I got them the exact way you mentioned above. Ask for them on day one, and I would have them every day after that. 

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Take it from an excellent baker:  Royal's bread has always been good, but it's never been anything more than you can get at your local Food Lion deli.  I can make far better bread in my own kitchen.  

I agree with that. 

However, what Royal offers now is limited and sup par. Dry bread slices and paltry roll offerings vs what we had in the past.  Something I'll have to remember on my survey.  I really miss the onion rolls.  I think they still have the rolls with the pine nuts on top.  Those definitely go first at our table.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I agree with that. 

However, what Royal offers now is limited and sup par. Dry bread slices and paltry roll offerings vs what we had in the past.  Something I'll have to remember on my survey.  I really miss the onion rolls.  I think they still have the rolls with the pine nuts on top.  Those definitely go first at our table.

I don't remember the bread being better in the past.  

On 12/12/2023 at 12:08 PM, The Fun Researcher said:

I agree with that. 

Bread was much better in the past.  I miss the crusty, sour dough rolls.  All the choices now are soft rolls, even the cheese ones that used to also have a crunchy crust.  Coastal Kitchen still has a few more choices but not all the choices they used to have.  Even the stollen at breakfast was rare to see on recent cruises and that used to be a staple.

• Like 3

Partial blame to the anti-gluten movement and the shutdown. Many people avoiding bread altogether. Changes in bakery staff. The pastry chef at the resort where I work makes only one kind of bread for the steakhouse,, a very good roasted shallot and thyme brioche. Also packaged gluten-free bread that comes frozen. Small changes that save a lot of resources.

I know they don't do the savoury bites anymore but has anyone actually asked for any of the other rolls. I prefer brown (wheat as you call it)bread and after a couple of nights of no brown rolls in the basket on Serenade a couple of weeks ago I asked the headwaiter. Every night after our table was bought a large plate of brown rolls, often still warm from the oven. We even got crusty ones with pine nuts one night.

Hi,

If these are those nice little bread things that used to come out in the basket with the other bread, then they actually started to go off the menu around 2019 - before the pandemic IIRC.

I used to enjoy having a couple of these at dinner. The wife didn't like them so I used to have hers too.

However, I have asked a few times on several ships since 2019 and the waiters know what they are and tell me that they are no  longer available. I never thought to ask why. My wife said it was because only I liked them and no-one else. She may have a bit of a point. I know they didn't just make them in case I was on the ship, but perhaps if they were not eaten by so many people then they would be waste and I cannot blame the cruise line if that's the case.

However, if anyone knows any other reason then please let me know. I do miss them.

PS It's a shame they couldn't put them in the Crown Lounge in the evenings.

Mick.

Edited by Mick B